Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Philonius posted:

This annoys me too. For bosses you can just look at the threatmeters in the party window, but no easy way to keep track of if on multiple mobs.

I wish the enemy list could be set in 'tank mode' , where red = you don't have aggro, and orange, yellow and green are increasing amounts of enmity lead.

I don't usually say this but that's a great idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Hogama posted:

Speaking of, there can be some dialogue changes in surprising places.

(This one appears to come up after you do a side-quest in the Azim Steppe where an Adarkim warrior tells you that his older brother was forced into hiding after eight attempts on his life as a potential future khan.)

That explains the mask, then.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TheRagamuffin posted:

As a newbie tank, I'm finding the biggest thing that trips me up is knowing what mobs In about to lose threat lead on. I kinda wish there were separate aggro icons for "you have a decent threat lead" versus "you have a tenuous threat lead". How do better tanks keep track of this? Do I just need to get used to reading the A/2/3/4/etc markers at a glance? Is there any way that doesn't involve just cycling through every mob?

e: Should I just not even care about this level of micromanagement, and just Overpower again, when in doubt?

I have been begging for a mod API for years now. As soon as it launches, I will be writing a version of Threatplates for FFXIV, that poo poo was cash as a tank in WoW.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thundarr posted:

If you are close to level up when you first log in for the day, maybe run an at level dungeon to put you over and *then* do roulettes, but otherwise yeah. Healer/tank privilege means never having to run FATEs or PotD unless you actually want to.

Mostly an edge case I realize but how do you prefer getting from 60 to 61 so you (as a privileged role) can start spamming Sirensong? After my daily roulettes on whatever class I've mostly just been FATEing in the Fringes.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have been begging for a mod API for years now. As soon as it launches, I will be writing a version of Threatplates for FFXIV, that poo poo was cash as a tank in WoW.

Make PowerAuras while you're at it, thanks :)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TBH I'd rather have them just make the game good enough without mods than add a mod API, especially considering that they're unlikely to be able to get mods on PS4. It might be possible, I don't know anything about what sort of restrictions Sony puts on game developers, but I do know they've cited console support as a problem in the past.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Could people post their HUDs? I'd be interested to see other setups than my own. I feel like I'm doing too much clicking as opposed to keyboard shortcuts.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

God please no, keeping up with mods and compatibility is part of why i quit WoW altogether.

And it'll never happen, due to PS4 being a thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I didn't quit WoW because of mods but nowadays it's a big thing keeping me away. Please no UI mods yoship

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“Ciaphas”" post="“474652753”"]
I didn’t quit WoW because of mods but nowadays it’s a big thing keeping me away. Please no UI mods yoship
[/quote]

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

Could people post their HUDs? I'd be interested to see other setups than my own. I feel like I'm doing too much clicking as opposed to keyboard shortcuts.

I basically have every easy to reach key bound.

- Numbers 1 though 5
- Q, E , R, T, G, V, X
- shift + X, shift + G, shift + V , shift + E
- mouse 4 and 5
- shift mouse 4, shift mouse 5
- ctrl mouse 4

That gives me 21 bound keys. One hotbar is bound to the numpad buttons, I use those for cooldown abilities.

To help with muscle memory I try to keep similar abilities on different classes bound to the same key. Q is always a conal AOE, E is always a circular AOE, etc.

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Ciaphas posted:

Mostly an edge case I realize but how do you prefer getting from 60 to 61 so you (as a privileged role) can start spamming Sirensong? After my daily roulettes on whatever class I've mostly just been FATEing in the Fringes.

~3 runs of gubal library normal (with rested bonus) should do it.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

The Grimace posted:

What's the body piece? Same model as Dodore Doublet, but it dyes differently. Maybe a 1.0 antique crafted piece?

Having done a bid in Balmung where there was another Super Mario (a lalafell kill all lalafells) I can confirm that it *is* the Dodore Doublet.

Jay Rust posted:

I've been super lazy about cleaning everything up, and this was basically my setup for Heavensward. I use a Shift modifier for the second row, an Alt modifier for the third row, and also use a 12 button gaming mouse so basically all those keys are fairly easy to access.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kakesu posted:

~3 runs of gubal library normal (with rested bonus) should do it.

Hey, that's a great idea. Thanks!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't really care about UI mods but why would something entirely optional be a bad thing?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

“optional”

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't really care about UI mods but why would something entirely optional be a bad thing?

people are worried someone is going to yell at them for not having Not-Deadly Boss Mods

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Anything 'optional' like that very quickly becomes mandatory otherwise you aren't playing the game right.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The only reason they were needed in WoW was cuz the WoW default UI was so bad, (and it's improved alot since 2004) something like DBM I'm totally fine with never coming to this game though just because of the way it forces the devs to design raid fights around it.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

I think the issue that is being alluded to with regard to not wanting mods is the level of information that is assumed to also be included in the package.

IE: Now you can display and track how much damage someone is doing, or what their potential to survive a run (so don't even bother taking them) is. I will admit, the implementation of this is what kept me out of raiding in WoW ( and not at all because I rolled the wrong class :v: ) because unless you had X, Y, and Z you didn't even need to apply, which in turn bred an insufferable shitlord mentality amongst the raiding groups of WoW.

But then again I may be reading this entirely wrong. :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

For me, UI mods in WoW was a neverending quest to improve how my UI looked/felt/operated. It wasn't as bad as TES/Fallout in terms of how much time I spent tinkering rather than playing but it certainly got in the way of things, especially when something broke.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The only way hypothetical mods would even remotely be considered mandatory would be within a raid static, so I'm not sure why people are preemptively complaining about it. I for one would love some additional information.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

The only way hypothetical mods would even remotely be considered mandatory would be within a raid static, so I'm not sure why people are preemptively complaining about it. I for one would love some additional information.

Because "the only place it would be mandatory" doesn't mean the same as "the only place where people would treat it as mandatory."

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I assure you that people will not kick you out of Satasha or EXDR because you arent running the Pro RaiderZ mods.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I assure you that people will not kick you out of Satasha or EXDR because you arent running the Pro RaiderZ mods.

:allears:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I just need to say two things right now:

1. The entire story segment from Bardam's Mettle to Doma Castle is insanely cool

2. Magnai needs to have his own spinoff game that's a dating sim

These are the things I needed to say.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I played WOW pretty casually for about 7 years and I literally never had someone get mad at me for not having a certain mod, or at least not that I can remember.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

this game already has deadly boss mods and weakauras you can download it here: http://advancedcombattracker.com/

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I played WOW pretty casually for about 7 years and I literally never had someone get mad at me for not having a certain mod, or at least not that I can remember.

People only got mad if you didn't have it in serious content, which is something you did with a static group of people anyways where everyone would be on the same page regardless.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

I've played at max level and completed the final raid tier of every WoW expansion since Wrath of the Lich King. Never once have randoms I was grouped with for dungeons, or even randoms I was grouped with for normal difficulty raids, demanded I have a certain addon or even introduce the question.

(With the one exception of Iskar in Hellfire Citadel, but that terribly-designed fight is the exception that proves the rule.)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People only got mad if you didn't have it in serious content, which is something you did with a static group of people anyways where everyone would be on the same page regardless.

I've definitely had people bitch about it in LFR during Pandaria but it was basically them not wanting to bother explaining mechanics to newbies.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This statement makes it pretty apparent you've never actually done endgame dungeons (setting aside raids) in World of Warcraft. People already will try to votekick tanks from EXDR for not mass-pulling in FFXIV.

As a more general remark on the topic: I believe there shouldn't be any mods or modding support, because the game should convey all the information it needs to in an optimal way already. If it doesn't, that means that the developers themselves need to make changes, not outsource it to players.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Maximum Chenergy posted:

This statement makes it pretty apparent you've never actually done dungeon in World of Warcraft.

I've played WoW since 2004 and literally never seen this insane strawman poo poo that people think will happen if mods ever came into being.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Maximum Chenergy posted:

This statement makes it pretty apparent you've never actually done dungeon in World of Warcraft.

Is running every single dungeon in the game tens of times across multiple max-level characters not experience enough for you, friend? Their post is correct.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

King Cohort posted:

Is running every single dungeon in the game tens of times across multiple max-level characters not experience enough for you, friend? Their post is correct.

My anecdote trumps their anecdote because

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Maximum Chenergy posted:

This statement makes it pretty apparent you've never actually done endgame dungeons (setting aside raids) in World of Warcraft.

lmao nice, i too like to imagine things that aren't real

for example

factual posts made by you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I did have someone in WOW call me a gay friend of the family for rolling need on loot he wanted, so we should obviously abolish the loot system.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Argas posted:

My anecdote trumps their anecdote because

My thousands of anecdotes of dungeon runs since Wrath of the Lich King trumps the paranoid fantasy of mods magically turning every player you're grouped with into a member of the Tryhard Gestapo.

Because they don't.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Maximum Chenergy posted:

People already will try to votekick tanks from EXDR for not mass-pulling in FFXIV.

Does this actually happen? Because I've run exdr dozens and dozens of times for tomes or gear or shits n giggles and not once has anyone even commented on a slow tank in /party let alone tried to vote-kick. I didn't think anyone actually gave a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

King Cohort posted:

the Tryhard Gestapo.

mods

UHD posted:

Does this actually happen? Because I've run exdr dozens and dozens of times for tomes or gear or shits n giggles and not once has anyone even commented on a slow tank in /party let alone tried to vote-kick. I didn't think anyone actually gave a poo poo.

no, it doesn't

hell i returned from a half-year long break in the middle of heavensward and pulled like molasses because i was getting used to buttons again and no one said a word

the only time this might have been an issue is early-era amdapor keep when you could skip the trash by sacrificing your tank via mass-pulling; and the devs hotfixed it a month? two months? later