Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

goose willis posted:

Are they ever going to bring back those human auxiliaries for the Tau? Honestly thought that was the coolest thing they ever did for them.

I really hope so! It's fluffy and I'd love to run some squads in chimeras alongside my strike teams.

edit: I didn't play tau when they could take IG auxiliaries. How did it work? What units were available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Wait, so they're officially doing codexes again? I thought they were not in 8th....

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Wait, so they're officially doing codexes again? I thought they were not in 8th....
:confused:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Boon posted:

You thought wrong friend. That's what you get for listening to the lying FAKE NEWS media.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Boon posted:

That was never the plan just tnat they werr salting thr earth and beginning anew since thr old codexes wouldnt work with the new rules.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Ehh... hoods are for dark angels. Think I'll stick to plan A of stealing that other posters idea and kitbashing a chaplain and primaris ancient together and just counts as the bolt rifle.

Yeah. Call me biased, but I'm partial to mine over this one, and mine is lacking skulls.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I really hope so! It's fluffy and I'd love to run some squads in chimeras alongside my strike teams.

edit: I didn't play tau when they could take IG auxiliaries. How did it work? What units were available?

Way back in the day Forge World had rules for Gue'vesa which were an entirely independent unit type, you could not take anything from the Imperial Guard. They operated sort of like a hybrid between Kroot and Fire Warriors. Gue'vesa were all armed with lasguns, but could take some Tau guns as special weapons, I think they were limited to pulse weapons. They had Tau armor, so 4+ armor saves. Basically really points-inefficient, but fluffy as all hell and very cool to see on the tabletop whenever someone converted them. This was back in like 3rd edition?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

goose willis posted:

Way back in the day Forge World had rules for Gue'vesa which were an entirely independent unit type, you could not take anything from the Imperial Guard. They operated sort of like a hybrid between Kroot and Fire Warriors. Gue'vesa were all armed with lasguns, but could take some Tau guns as special weapons, I think they were limited to pulse weapons. They had Tau armor, so 4+ armor saves. Basically really points-inefficient, but fluffy as all hell and very cool to see on the tabletop whenever someone converted them. This was back in like 3rd edition?

The rules were in a white dwarf, and they had a really cool conversion for it

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
double stormraven lists are evil.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I'm starting to realize the applications of Renegades in a Chaos army.

Take, for instance, a squad of Chaos Space Marines, where you have to pay 130 points for ten dudes, and then an extra 34 points for two melta guns, so 164 total. Or, have a look at Renegade Marauders, where you pay 60 points for ten dudes, and then an extra 24 points for melta guns, so 84 total.

Both squads hit at 3+ in melee and ranged, and both have frag and krak grenades. The marauders can take a 4+ armor save if you give them the Heretek specialty, so they're a little more survivable than guardsmen. Sure, they only have a toughness value of 3, but for a suicide melta squad they are incredible. Half the price of the marines, and with those extra points, you can easily fit in a chimera to drive them up to the enemy. Or just buy two squads of them and give them the Stalker specialty so they're harder to hit and shoot at and can get +2 to their saves in cover, and then march them up the table hugging cover. In fact, you don't even need to give them ten guys to get two melta guns, because they can take two special weapons at any unit size.

They're basically cultists on crack and I really need to make some conversions of these guys.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

goose willis posted:

They were in IA3: Volume 2, though that is a pre 8th book.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Someone please paint the Alpha Legion emblem on his shoulder or model the whole thing as Fabius Bile. Steal that bigman gene seed.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

chutche2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpvAr9DRmgQ

This guy does a page by page review of the book. Doesn't focus on point values for long but you can pause it and read a lot of them. Don't know if any weapon costs changed though.

One big change is that inceptors went down 15 points per model, that's huge. You can see the first half-page of weapon points in the video, assault bolters are still 15 points. So a unit of 3 went from 225 to 180.

Realllllly making me want a flight of the bumble bees army.

6 units of inceptors, something solid to dump on the table, profit. Plus pimp cane chaplain.

Well, no, they'd probably suck but gently caress it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Just noticed the FAQ restricts Ynnari armies to only being possible if you first take one of the triumvirate as your Warlord. That's going to straight up invalidate my friend's army right there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

adamantium|wang posted:

Just noticed the FAQ restricts Ynnari armies to only being possible if you first take one of the triumvirate as your Warlord. That's going to straight up invalidate my friend's army right there.

Yeah...thats an absolutely bizzare choice and I'm trying to understand the logic there. Were non-triumverate ynnari lists really breaking the game?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

adamantium|wang posted:

Can't he just buy or convert or counts-as an Yvraine?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
We're old school and tend not to use special characters. But more to the point he shouldn't have to, its never been a requirement before. I'm glad that they're trying to keep on top of things this edition but it seems like every FAQ are still bringing about a big change or two that nobody asked for.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
You don't use named characters? So none of your marine players use a chapter master?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
No? We like having armies that are Our Dudes, and special characters take away from that. That's how we forge our narratives.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Named characters are a curse to this game. Bring back the old days when you had to ask for permission to play them and armies needed 50%+ troops to not be laughed at.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
In 2E Abaddon had a rule where as the new Warmaster of Chaos he wouldn't lead every piddling little band in existence so you could only take him in games over 1500 points :allears:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

Named characters are a curse to this game. Bring back the old days when you had to ask for permission to play them and armies needed 50%+ troops to not be laughed at.

:yeah:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

LingcodKilla posted:

Play the way you wanna play but I could not disagree with this more if I tried.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah...thats an absolutely bizzare choice and I'm trying to understand the logic there. Were non-triumverate ynnari lists really breaking the game?

It's probably going to be resolved in Codex: Ynnari, when that comes out 50 years from now. I can see why they want Ynnari armies to actually be Ynnari, and not Eldar With Buffs, but there is not nearly enough range for that yet.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
To us 40K is a platoon to company level game and we don't often have anyone more senior than a captain leading things. We sometimes do use special characters (especially when testing tournament builds) but we always convert up our own counts-as models. My buddy's Grot Guard has a capped grot poking out of a Vanquisher as a counts-as Pask. Or my own counts-as Marbo (which I finished 6 months before they removed him from the game :argh: )

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Characters rule and I probably use way more than I should.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
That model loving rules.

Also, if you name all your generic models, it feels cooler and less weird when you include special named characters. :c00l:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

In 2E Abaddon had a rule where as the new Warmaster of Chaos he wouldn't lead every piddling little band in existence so you could only take him in games over 1500 points :allears:
Even back in 3rd a bunch of characters had rules like that. Chapter masters like Calgar and Azrael couldn't be used below 2000 points.

I almost never use special characters. :c00lbert:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

adamantium|wang posted:

No? We like having armies that are Our Dudes, and special characters take away from that. That's how we forge our narratives.

LingcodKilla posted:

Hell yeah

I'm not saying everyone else is doing it wrong, they're just heretics.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Safety Factor posted:

Even back in 3rd a bunch of characters had rules like that. Chapter masters like Calgar and Azrael couldn't be used below 2000 points.

This is a good thing that I'd like to see more often. I know it won't happen, because GW wants to sell their 85 dollar single models, but it'd be really cool and good to not see small-points lists that are Guilliman and a couple of his little friends.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

adamantium|wang posted:

So you took Abaddon and kharn and a handful of bezerkers and a tank, cause they were horrifically expensive each. And unkillable. 2E <3

(I was always the poor sob trying to deal with that. Broken af, but ~memories~)

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
In 30K you can only put 25% of your points into Lords of War so 9 times out of 10 they don't appear in anything less than 2000 point games. On top of that your opponent gets bonus points if they kill them so it's very bad to lose them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

In 30K you can only put 25% of your points into Lords of War so 9 times out of 10 they don't appear in anything less than 2000 point games. On top of that your opponent gets bonus points if they kill them so it's very bad to lose them.
Hell, you can't even take a Lord of War below 2,000 points in 30k.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

adamantium|wang posted:

I blame Knight armies for this. If people didn't want to field 4 giant walkers in a game, there might have been tighter restrictions on usage for other LoW units.

. . . On second thought, I blame GW's money hunger.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't like Lords of War or special characters in most small games because it feels off. In fact it was one of the reasons I never really liked Warmachine. I want my own guys, and it seems weird seeing Roboute or a Baneblade in a skirmish.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

adamantium|wang posted:

Old One Eye had one describing how he was basically a horror movie villain who appeared out of nowhere, killed and then vanished. He could only be taken in games UNDER 1500.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I guess I have a deep hatred of "opponents permission" rules because I've played with too many shitlords who would never give permission for anything they thought might beat them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Safety Factor posted:

I almost never use special characters. :c00lbert:

Crutches are for the weak. I much liked the old build your chapter rules instead of having to take a character.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I guess I have a deep hatred of "opponents permission" rules because I've played with too many shitlords who would never give permission for anything they thought might beat them.

I never really got the idea of "opponents permission" rules. Playing a game with someone is a social contract that requires permission to field your force no matter what it is, unless it's a tournament. You're never forced to play a game with someone if they use models or rules you don't like.

LingcodKilla posted:

Crutches are for the weak. I much liked the old build your chapter rules instead of having to take a character.

I remember what got me interested in Iron Hands years ago was the weird chapter rule stuff that let you give tac squad sergeants terminator armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JoshTheStampede posted:

So never plan on playing them and this isn't a problem?

chutche2 posted:

I never really got the idea of "opponents permission" rules. Playing a game with someone is a social contract that requires permission to field your force no matter what it is, unless it's a tournament. You're never forced to play a game with someone if they use models or rules you don't like.

I remember what got me interested in Iron Hands years ago was the weird chapter rule stuff that let you give tac squad sergeants terminator armor.

Which is now a space wolf thing bleh.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 24, 2017