Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

I have a better title for when i get home

NASCAR 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-onWNxvSLVk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I saw them twice promote the brick kiss being shown live post-race and we're really grasping for things for fans to try and associate with at this point, aren't we?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
NASCAR: We use ALL the flags, especially the red one! Oh and we also invent new flags too

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WindyMan posted:

NASCAR: We use ALL the flags, especially the red one! Oh and we also invent new flags too

did they black flag Cassill?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

exploded mummy posted:

did they black flag Cassill?

Kidc said in Discord they were DQed for pitting under the red.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kidc said in Discord they were DQed for pitting under the red.

I just don't remember if they actually waved it or just told him to go to the garage

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Brickyard has been a drought-ender a few times. I can think of Kahne, Newman, maybe Harvick(?) ending long droughts with a Brickyard win.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Paul Menard was a first and only time winner there, if the time prior counts as a drought

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I hope Kyle does the Indy 500 and gets stomped by Alonso

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

I hope Kyle does the Indy 500 and gets stomped by Alonso

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Timmy Hill finished 14th

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
That's cool seeing guys like that finish higher up the list. Also:

8 Matt DiBenedetto
9 Chris Buescher
12 Cole Whitt
18 Michael McDowell

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You know there is no way they made it to the overtime line before that caution should have been called. What a poo poo show. I am so proud.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
whether they made it there or not daylight dictated that no other restarts were gonna happen so who gives a poo poo

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah this isn't the overtime call to get mad at. It was the right call

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I saw them twice promote the brick kiss being shown live post-race and we're really grasping for things for fans to try and associate with at this point, aren't we?

Kissing The Bricks is a pretty crappy tradition, tbh. Bus loads of tourists do it year round so it doesn't feel special at all to me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

NASCAR should chug OJ instead of kissing the bricks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/nascarcasm/status/889294617497260035

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

They need to just euthanize the 400. Leave IMS to Indycar.

This was a shitshow from its 3pm (lol) start to the 9 pm mercy kill. If Truex doesn't mop it and take out Bush, this ends with the 18 leading 120 laps and winning by half a lap. It was a bad race and would have been unwatchable if it weren't for a gently caress up by the 78.

Instead we get Jimmy Johnson channeling his inner 2012 Takuma Sato and NASCAR having to hold off a 4 car pile up caution so they could just put this shitfest out of its misery because the sun was setting and the track didn't have lights to keep going.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

That's a bad take

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The sad truth though? All the lessons to be learned tonight?

They're all going to be ignored.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

oh, and Kurt Busch?

TAKE YOUR loving HANDS OFF THE WHEEL WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO GO NOSE FIRST INTO ANYTHING YOU MORON.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No way he was totally going to save it!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

The sad truth though? All the lessons to be learned tonight?

They're all going to be ignored.

The race had good moments, but it feels like NASCAR is constantly juggling between making their regular season the most meaningful thing in the world and for the Brickyard to still be a marquee race that "matters".

So it's kinda suffering for an identity crisis. The race is having to acknowledge that Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and other's are not walking through that door. NASCAR has to acknowledge that it's back to being the 3rd biggest event at that track rather than being the biggest like it once was for about a decade or so.

I think it's far less about NASCAR and far more about the politics that seems to gravitate around Indianapolis to be honest. The support for Cup there at one time...mimicked that of IndyCar/Indianapolis 500. But when you have races at Chicagoland, and Kentucky? I don't see why you'd bother making the trek any more.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
We all saw the attendance at that race. Most NASCAR fans should realize/know that Indy is a horrible venue for stock cars. How the hell does NASCAR not see what we're all seeing?

"NASCAR is dumb" does not answer this fully.

Oh hell, maybe it does.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

We all saw the attendance at that race. Most NASCAR fans should realize/know that Indy is a horrible venue for stock cars. How the hell does NASCAR not see what we're all seeing?

"NASCAR is dumb" does not answer this fully.

Oh hell, maybe it does.

I mean Pocono and Dover have put on some snoozers, but they've found ways to keep fans coming back.

I think the problem is that the venue has some sort of aura around it because it's Indianapolis. That's kinda causing a few problems in how the race is perceived. The media, NASCAR, and IMS try to build it up. But the truth of the matter is...it's just another race now.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Most entertaining race of the year so of course everyone in here hates it and thinks NASCAR should leave. More cookie cutters for the cookie cutter god etc.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Most entertaining race of the year so of course everyone in here hates it and thinks NASCAR should leave. More cookie cutters for the cookie cutter god etc.

It's fine. I don't think it should leave.

People's expectations for it are a bit out of whack though. Twitter was just one giant long pissing match today.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

Twitter was just one giant long pissing match today.

stop reading comments from fans. sports fans are inconceivably trash. they dont know a single goddamn thing.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

I didn't personally hate the race; I was simply commenting on the attendance and how NASCAR, and NBC for that matter, don't see that Indy isn't a premier NASCAR race anymore. Like Fuzzy said, I guess it's the aura of history at Indy that has NASCAR thinking the way it is.

And gently caress cookie cutter tracks.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Peanut President posted:

The last 2 hours was caution laps for unexciting 2-3 car wrecks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I didn't personally hate the race; I was simply commenting on the attendance and how NASCAR, and NBC for that matter, don't see that Indy isn't a premier NASCAR race anymore. Like Fuzzy said, I guess it's the aura of history at Indy that has NASCAR thinking the way it is.

The attendance problems is possibly because it's roughly 700 degrees in Indiana in July. Maybe have the race April or September?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Seems like most everyone here liked it and thought it was stupid?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Norns posted:

Seems like most everyone here liked it and thought it was stupid?

I don't know I've been seeing posts all weekend saying NASCAR needs to get out of Indy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

The attendance problems is possibly because it's roughly 700 degrees in Indiana in July. Maybe have the race April or September?

That's a factor, yes.

Giving Chicagoland this slot for a night race and having IMS be in September should help.

Peanut President posted:

I don't know I've been seeing posts all weekend saying NASCAR needs to get out of Indy.

For xfinity? Yeah. For cup? I think it's cool to have IMS hosting the other top auto racing series in the US.

It's kinda like if someone tried to equate winning the 24 hours to winning the Daytona 500. I mean it's cool. I love the 24 hours! But you don't see the IMSA dudes comparing a win there to joining the names of Petty, Allison, Yarborough and Earnhardt.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 24, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iospace posted:

oh, and Kurt Busch?

TAKE YOUR loving HANDS OFF THE WHEEL WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO GO NOSE FIRST INTO ANYTHING YOU MORON.

From the helmet cam shot he had like a quarter of a second to react to Bowyer's car popping out at him, I don't think he could have done a whole lot.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
let's see what the TV ratings are

if it's in the top 10 yesterday NASCAR won't change a thing because they are making money hand over fist

it's literally that simple at this point

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Norns posted:

Yeah this isn't the overtime call to get mad at. It was the right call

It's the combination of that and 3 pm Eastern start times.

Really, they should have just said "alright guys, you get one more shot at this, sort it out."

I didn't personally hate the race; I was simply commenting on the attendance and how NASCAR, and NBC for that matter, don't see that Indy isn't a premier NASCAR race anymore.

NBC doesn't get it at all. They offered to move the race to the start of their half of the season (end of June/start of July) thinking it would make it better.

Peanut President posted:

I have some good news, friend!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Junior to NBC: https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/nascar-dale-earnhardt-jr-nbc-934107/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm simply SHOCKED

• Locked thread