Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I'm going through the Tom Baker years for the first time, he's such a fun rear end doctor and I'm barely into his run. I enjoyed his first 2 serials, but dug the hell out of Genesis of the Daleks. Was that the first appearance of Davros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Wolfechu posted:

The thing that annoys me about the "Boys losing a role model" more than anything is that even if it were true, it's not forever. We're going to have a female lead for what, an average of three years. And once we're done, I doubt the BBC are going to go with 12 more female incarnations of the Doctor to balance things out.

Let a female lead shine for a while (or god forbid, actually wait till we have an episode or two to watch before condemning the idea). Eventually you'll have your male role model back again. Or, you know, rewatch some of the 50+ years where the Doctor was a male role model. Unless all that's somehow invalid now.

Hell, if you want an intelligent, nonviolent role model for boys, there's always Sherlock Holmes or at least there would be if Moffat wasn't running the show :argh:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A fun line from Tom Baker's first episode by the way:

quote:

You may be A doctor, but I am THE Doctor. The definite article, you might say.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

I'm going through the Tom Baker years for the first time, he's such a fun rear end doctor and I'm barely into his run. I enjoyed his first 2 serials, but dug the hell out of Genesis of the Daleks. Was that the first appearance of Davros?

It was, yes. He shows up four more times during the rest of the original run, but it can be argued that only one of those is any good (though, to be fair, it's really good).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PlasticAutomaton posted:

...you know, I was convinced that was Hitler in the trailer, from that really unfortunate mustache.

Yeah, that hairstyle as well. Doubt they would touch that in a Christmas episode though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cleretic posted:

If it's a Christmas episode set in WWI, then we're probably going to be visiting the battlefield where both sides called a one-day cease-fire for Christmas. I don't know where that was exactly, but I know the British were one side of it. That's a pretty fantastic setting for a Doctor Who episode, I think.

I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast series on WWI, "Blueprint for Armageddon", and I may have just had a "I'm not crying, you're crying" moment when he got to the Christmas Truce, just this Friday.

May have. While driving.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

toanoradian posted:

Like in Rocket Man, where his way of defeating the enemy is mostly letting his companions handle the enemy for a bit while he improves on the city's defense systems. Then again, maybe that's just that specific Companion Chronicles, but man, I love Rocket Man.

Rocket Men was one of those that would sound really dumb if you were to describe it, but turns out excellent. It's an interesting thing you get with the first Two Doctors Companion Chronicles/Lost Stories/etc., where it's very much the subject matter of their era, but with better structure, characterization, and worldbuilding. The Oliver Harper ones were like that as well.

Also, Rocket Men had Ian finally admitting his feelings for Barbara. :3:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I agree. I think he's being unfairly bashed.

He was very effusive with his praise of Jodie:

quote:

I feel... I think the time for discussion about that is past. They’ve made the announcement. Jodie Whittaker is the next Doctor and that’s great!

quote:

she has my best wishes and full confidence. I’m sure she’ll do a wonderful job.

quote:

The time for discussion is over. We have a new Doctor. And let’s give her our full support.

He is very much against the sexism against her and thinks people who doubt her in the role should give her a chance:

quote:

I would encourage them to watch. I think there’s too much... you know on the internet... there’s too much bile coming from both sides. And too many people are being horribly sexist about it, and too many people are saying, ‘Well, we don’t care about you. You’re old fashioned. Go away and watch something else.’ I think fans who are doubtful, who are uncertain should be encouraged and welcomed. And just approach it with an open mind.

He's absolutely right. It seems like a lot of people are shredding him because he had expressed less than full and rapturous enthusiasm for the part going from a man to a woman, and because he dares to feel that boys should have male role models.

HopperUK posted:

Well I guess the argument then is 'why do girls need women to be represented if gender doesn't matter'. Clearly it does matter, but I feel like to be on the 'boys are losing out' side you'd have to believe either that representation doesn't matter (and I think it does) or that men and women are already equally represented so nothing needs to change (ha).

For someone who is progressive, there is zero problem squaring the circle with saying "Girls should have positive female role models. Boys should have role models that are male or female. Strictly male role models for boys are not necessary." For someone particularly of Davison's generation, that sounds like a contradiction. For progressives, it's not at all--because of inherent inequality due to the patriarchal power structure. But you can't expect someone who hasn't been made aware of social justice studies, arguments, etc to know all about that point of view.

So instead what happens is Davison get's pilloried which exactly what he says fans should NOT be doing to people who dislike a woman in the role:

quote:

I think that it will be hard for some fans to adjust to it. As I said before, it’s difficult to adjust to any new Doctor, but I think the important thing is that those are uncertain fellows, those who are uncertain should be encouraged to watch it with an open mind.

Instead of pushing people away and saying "gently caress THOSE SEXIST ASSHOLES, I DON'T WANT THEM WATCHING THE SHOW ANYWAY!" they should be encouraged to watch, to give it a chance, and maybe they'll learn something.

Personally I think it doesn't matter anyway, because just because the Doctor regenerated into a woman once, it doesn't mean they'll always be a woman. Hell, my biggest fear was that with Tennant and Smith we'd never see an old guy in the role again, that it would always be dreamy young men--til Moffat cast Capaldi (and Hurt for that matter). So I can deal with the next 4 Doctors not being older, because we've seen we can always go back and the Doctor isn't one archetype one way or another. Basically sometimes the Doctor will be a woman. Sometimes he'll be a man. Sometimes old, sometimes young. Sometimes white, sometimes not. And it will matter less and less as time goes on, which to me is a good thing.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, but he's also the Doctor who tried to win Cybermen over on the whole "emotions" thing, and look how that turned out.

I mean, aside from the killing Adric part, of course.

EDIT - Holy poo poo, I can't believe I only just now realized this was a grammar pun. :doh:

2house2fly posted:

You may be A doctor, but I am THE Doctor. The definite article, you might say.

I'll go return my English degree now.

After The War fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 24, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

After The War posted:

Rocket Men was one of those that would sound really dumb if you were to describe it, but turns out excellent. It's an interesting thing you get with the first Two Doctors Companion Chronicles/Lost Stories/etc., where it's very much the subject matter of their era, but with better structure, characterization, and worldbuilding. The Oliver Harper ones were like that as well.

Also, Rocket Men had Ian finally admitting his feelings for Barbara. :3:

I wasn't really enthusiastic about Companion Chronicles since I thought it's just gonna be the actors/actresses playing the Companions reading the story, but Rocket Men reminds me of Rocketeer, so I bought it and my god it's beautiful. The constant refrain of "How do you know" and the non-chronological story telling really works, and as you said, the Ian/Barbara stuff is wonderful. It remains my favourite Companion Chronicle to this day, next only to another Ian work, The Time Museum. It makes me nostalgic for the eras of my parent's childhood.

What other Companion Chronicles are recommended? I mostly stick with Jamie stuff because I love him, and I feel his work as 2 for those (and Early Adventures, Lost Stories, etc) is great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Anything by Simon Guerrier, basically. Especially the Sara Kingdom trilogy, or the Oliver trilogy -- there's also the quartet of stories that feature Zoe attempting to unlock her memories that starts out slow but ends amazingly. Anything by James Goss is great as well, particularly The Last Post and The Scorchies. Find and Replace is really, really good, and it's the sequel to Ringpullworld, which isn't bad either. Finally, Peri and the Piscon Paradox is pretty good too, and Nicola Bryant is astoundingly good in it, though some people hate it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the preview actually looks the last episode look interesting, and this is coming from someone who, to say the least, isn't big on the idea of anyone else playing One. :shrug:

Gatiss is going to be playing the Brigadier's father.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Ah well, that's Moffat for you.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

To be clear: that was total speculation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So long as he isn't playing the Brig I'm fine with it.

I swear to loving Christ if they dig the Brig out of his grave again

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

I think the preview actually looks the last episode look interesting, and this is coming from someone who, to say the least, isn't big on the idea of anyone else playing One. :shrug:

Yeah, I was super into it. Two doctors, two TARDISes, One and Twelve going full ham, Jodie's first appearance, it's gonna be great. I am 100% sure this is everyone's opinion because, as always, this thread is a hivemind where we all agree at all times.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Since there's no need to stick to one actor for the old Doctors, why not have 2 and 3 again? Go wild with the multi-Doctors crossover!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

toanoradian posted:

Since there's no need to stick to one actor for the old Doctors, why not have 2 and 3 again? Go wild with the multi-Doctors crossover!

If Sean Pertwee is onboard then hell yeah for new 3rd Doctor appearances!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Murderion posted:

Hell, if you want an intelligent, nonviolent role model for boys, there's always Sherlock Holmes or at least there would be if Moffat wasn't running the show :argh:

Holmes has never really been non violent. Also he's something of an rear end in a top hat and a recreational coke user, which a lot of parents might not be on board with as a role model.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The timing not working for it to be the Brig almost makes me want it to be him just for the new wrinkle it'd add to UNIT dating

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

If it wasn't so early in the century, you can guarantee Moffat would put a scene where the Doctor takes the soldier home for Christmas and you'd meet his tiny son, Alistair.

"Did you give the Bosch five rounds rapid, daddy?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Noticed Polly in that trailer.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Is that on the scene where the First's hand started glowing?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

toanoradian posted:

Is that on the scene where the First's hand started glowing?

Yeah

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Murderion posted:

Or Harry Potter.

There's even a series of movies coming out at the moment which are basically Eddie Redmayne as the Eleventh Doctor.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Astroman posted:

I agree. I think he's being unfairly bashed.

I think Davison is coming across as someone who isn't personally thrilled about this, but who also knows he's wrong, so he's doing his best to be supportive. There are certainly worse attitudes to have.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They should bring back the Brigadeer in the form of his younger self from Shadows Of Avalon so they can get away with a younger, different and still alive actor.

Good luck reconciling his return to Earth :toot:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
i hope this christmas special goes out of its way to resolve the mawdryn undead paradox

like, i hope the entire episode is about that. they all just sit around a table and start hashing things out on a blackboard. then pearl mackie comes in, sits down, and starts coming up with out of the box suggestions for the last half. then everyone finally figures it out and pearl goes away with her water buddy again and the doctor regenerates, having made peace with the biggest issue in his existence

and just before he does, he'll turn to the camera and say: also, i didn't really regenerate in my second life when i was supposed to, instead i just went and hung out with jamie some more. it was pretty fun actually. oh, and i don't want to go etc.

regenerates

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My take from that was overwhelming relief is that it looks like they are giving Capaldi a proper send off rather than "surprise! Regeneration!" Five seconds in.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

learnincurve posted:

My take from that was overwhelming relief is that it looks like they are giving Capaldi a proper send off rather than "surprise! Regeneration!" Five seconds in.

Why would you even think they would do that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DancingShade posted:

They should bring back the Brigadeer in the form of his younger self from Shadows Of Avalon so they can get away with a younger, different and still alive actor.

Good luck reconciling his return to Earth :toot:

No bring back Brigadier Bambera instead.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Reveal that the Brigadier was a time lord all along and bring back all twelve thirteen of them.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Plavski posted:

i hope this christmas special goes out of its way to resolve the mawdryn undead paradox

like, i hope the entire episode is about that. they all just sit around a table and start hashing things out on a blackboard. then pearl mackie comes in, sits down, and starts coming up with out of the box suggestions for the last half. then everyone finally figures it out and pearl goes away with her water buddy again and the doctor regenerates, having made peace with the biggest issue in his existence

and just before he does, he'll turn to the camera and say: also, i didn't really regenerate in my second life when i was supposed to, instead i just went and hung out with jamie some more. it was pretty fun actually. oh, and i don't want to go etc.

regenerates

and in the very last second, he said, "lawrence miles is right"

edit: "gallifrey academy hot five will reunite"

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 24, 2017

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

After The War posted:

EDIT - Holy poo poo, I can't believe I only just now realized this was a grammar pun. :doh:

I'll go return my English degree now.

It's not so much a pun as what the idiom actually means. I'm pretty sure it's for literally stressing that the indirect article is inappropriate because your subject is far too specific. That is, I don't think there's supposed to be a defined article you're comparing something to*. The lines are kind of redundant as they are, which is why I prefer the "The original, one might say!" wording.

*Leaving that participle dangling like

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Why would you even think they would do that.

Because of the deliberate shock factor, they played with regeneration quite a lot this year and it would have fit the pattern.

I'm still really gutted that Capaldi is being canne, and the fact we were denied a whole season of him, so it would have been the extra special twist to the knife in my heart.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Because of the deliberate shock factor, they played with regeneration quite a lot this year and it would have fit the pattern.

I'm still really gutted that Capaldi is being canne, and the fact we were denied a whole season of him, so it would have been the extra special twist to the knife in my heart.

For what it's worth, at the Comic Con panel Capaldi said one of the things he was happiest about was getting through the last few years without getting sacked, and from his tone and the facial expressions of him, Moffat, Mackie etc when he said that it seemed genuine. Maybe he really did quit.

OTOH, when you look at the IMDB he's got about 10 less episodes than Smith and Tennant.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

This but also Mordred in full costume.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

YES. And Ancelyn.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't had a Bambera reference in the new series

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

YES. And Ancelyn.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't had a Bambera reference in the new series

It's not like Angela Bruce wasn't available, she's been doing the circuit of Doctors, Casualty and Holby City as different characters for the last twenty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Cleretic posted:

If it's a Christmas episode set in WWI, then we're probably going to be visiting the battlefield where both sides called a one-day cease-fire for Christmas. I don't know where that was exactly, but I know the British were one side of it. That's a pretty fantastic setting for a Doctor Who episode, I think.

I was convinced they were going to do this in 2014 for the actual centenary, then was sad when they didn't. But it's definitely a great place to set a Christmas episode, yeah.

• Locked thread