Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I am happy to buff and debuff (SMT taught me well) but Mog is just a liability with his Dances. Not as bad as Gau but I do not like having any character on autopilot. Everyone must do what I want when I want because only iknow what iwant and what i did not want was for Mog to continually attack Yeti when all he had to do was use Mirage.

I could use him as a Dragoon like you noted but I have a huge cast to choose from and I couldn't care less who is technially the best. I play who is most fun to me. (If they have an interesting personality or character, that also helps)

thats cool but maybe don't call the character worthless if they aren't actually worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What challenge runs exist for Final Fantasy IV (PSP, to the extent that it matters)?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Harrow posted:

On the bright side, I think they drastically cut down how much is required in the Zodiac versions. I remembered it taking forever but I only had to do 3 trades this time.

yeah it used to be 9 minimum

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

What challenge runs exist for Final Fantasy IV (PSP, to the extent that it matters)?

Generally low-level or single-character challenges. You can finish the entire game with just Cecil (aside from a few mandory fights) if you really want to push yourself.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Death, kupo!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

yeah it used to be 9 minimum

I thought so. When I got to that part this time I realized I'd forgot about it and really dreaded it, but it's not so bad now. Still kinda silly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is what's in the Capital worth doing 28 of them? :/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Is what's in the Capital worth doing 28 of them? :/

I dunno, I did all of them in IZJS and then never found what I was supposed to get for doing it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

one of the lost cockatrices is up there plus a snooty guy involved in the hunt club

real answer: you need to visit there to get the cartographer trophy

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Corvinus posted:

Moogle Charm also interrupts Dance so you can change up Mog's Dances or do other things before going back to Dancing. You sorta whoopsed by waiting to pick up Shadow or Gau as those are the only two reliable ways to reapply Image.

Edit: Wait, Strago's Refract gives reflect+image.

Well I had Gau but I was focusing on other characters. This is my first full run of the game, I have no idea how to get anyone. I just now got Shadow because I stopped in Thamasa and an NPC told me he was at the Colosseum and another NPC told me what he wanted.

I guess it is a mistake but I have no idea what I'm doing, which is part of the fun. Like, NPCs were very helpful in finding everyone I have now. But all the clues have dried up and I'm fumbling about looking for Locke and Strago. Nobody tell me - as I said, it's part of the mystique of a new game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 24, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The White Dragon posted:

10 doesn't have that goddamn lighthouse so by default 12 is far worse

Realtalk I actually really like Pharos. Lots of RPGs have a big bad tower but this is the only one I know of that has an actual, substantial 100 story monstrosity. It really feels like final dungeon material, which makes the final dungeon immediately after even more disappointing than it already is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who willingly gave up the ability to attack in that bit though???

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

So yeah, Mog can gently caress off to the worthless realm with Edge, Cait Sith and...I dunno, Kimahri. Although I hear he's good so whatever.

I don't know how good Kimahri is in post game, but he can be pretty effective depending on the direction you take him. I saw someone take him into a portion of Yuna's grid to get some of her Magic increases, then dip on over to Lulu's grid for spells. Completely outdamaged Lulu (well, that probably isn't a high bar) till the last boss, and all of this was by accident and very early on. I don't really know the complete rankings for FFX characters but Kimahri is still okay even if he's lower imo.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

FFX and FFXII are completely different games; too different to really be fairly compared.

Couldn't this be said for like every FF game after FF9

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
One thing I was excited about it was announced was the return of hunts in FFXV. But they just don't have the same personality as the hunts in FFXII. Each of those has stories, albeit small ones, but it lends a sense of pathos and interest to your actions. The NPC's you encounter in the Clan also provide a connection. It's really cool!

I also have a fondness for the amount of, for lack of a better word, undocumented quests in XII. The easy money you can make in Bhujerba by finding all the bottles, the archaeologist in Rabanastre that leads you to that optional boss, or the entire bullshit in the Waterways. I think a large portion of content (espers, optional bosses, rare game) is alluded to in one way or another by either dialogue with NPC's or in the bestiary entries. It gives it a real old school feel of having to take notes about what people say or what you notice in areas in such.

I'm about to take my party in Henne, and wow this is so much easier than vanilla XII. Even without my requisite lhusu mines farming (I'd usually be about level 19 or so before heading to Ondore), I just farmed enough money to keep my party equipped and continued without any problems. Demon Wall #1 took me a few tries, but with some lucky quickening chains and an awesome 9-combo by Basch it finally went down. In return, I got a scathe mote. Joy. Is that it? That chest doesn't respawn, right? I checked about 5 times as I cut my way through the tomb.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Realtalk I actually really like Pharos. Lots of RPGs have a big bad tower but this is the only one I know of that has an actual, substantial 100 story monstrosity. It really feels like final dungeon material, which makes the final dungeon immediately after even more disappointing than it already is.

Yeah, the Pharos is great. I don't even mind the dungeon after it. As far as I'm concerned, the Pharos is the final dungeon and the Bahamut is just the climactic showdown, and that's fine with me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lucas Archer posted:

In return, I got a scathe mote. Joy. Is that it? That chest doesn't respawn, right? I checked about 5 times as I cut my way through the tomb.

It's only ever a scathe mote in IZJS/TZA.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's only ever a scathe mote in IZJS/TZA.

:argh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF12 and FF15 are so far apart, in literal time and gameplay design, that saying one is better doesn't mean anything. Like you can easily compare FF7 to FF8 or FF9, but anytime someone says with any sincerity that FF6 is better than FF13 or that Lightning Returns is better than FF3, at that point it's about as meaningful as saying that Dark Souls is better than Splatoon.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

precision posted:

FF12 and FF15 are so far apart, in literal time and gameplay design, that saying one is better doesn't mean anything. Like you can easily compare FF7 to FF8 or FF9, but anytime someone says with any sincerity that FF6 is better than FF13 or that Lightning Returns is better than FF3, at that point it's about as meaningful as saying that Dark Souls is better than Splatoon.

I mean it's admittedly a broad strokes comparison but I pretty much played FF15 the same way I played FF12-- ignore the plot and just do hunts and take in the flavor of the world. There's not really a final fantasy experience like those two.

The difference is FF12 starts out rather linear for maybe the first fourth of the game before opening up, while FF15 has most of the game being open world before going linear, and I think most people would prefer FF12's approach more.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The combat feels like a step back in 15

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm playing FFXII and the combat doesn't feel great in this either.

Like, I can make some simple gambits that make the game play itself. This basically means that I ignore like 90% of the skills and just listen to podcasts while walking through the game at 4x speed.

When something more difficult comes along, actually giving orders manually is a massive chore and not fun at all since the game clearly isn't built for it.

The gambits don't really help either as the gambit system is actually really limited and anything but the most basic instructions are impossible to make. It really needed the ability to make if-then chains or something. It could be really fun if iterated further though.

Did any game aside from like Dragon age do anything similar?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

How is issuing commands a huge chore?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Norns posted:

I don't know, it just feels like one. I definitely don't have a problem with JRPG combat either.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

A convincing argument!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Norns posted:

A convincing argument!

I'm just saying what I think about the combat in FF12 so far.

It's not always easy to elaborate why something doesn't work. It just feels off to me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ventana posted:

I don't know how good Kimahri is in post game, but he can be pretty effective depending on the direction you take him.

i dunno if they changed this in the hd remake, but in the original he was basically useless because his ult is blue magic, and the monster you lancet his ultimate blue magic, supernova, from (omega) has way more hp than you can do with the drat spell.

but i guess if you really wanna boil it down, he's as effective as anyone else because after a while it ends up that all you do is cast quick hit a thousand times to kill anything and everything

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The short term is that everyone has a specialty for them to tag in except Kimahri. Probably his shining moment is taking him down Rikku's path so he can steal from the ronsos on Mt Gagazet, which is honestly pathetic.

Postgame is just Wakka overdriving.

I use him because I'm a goon and I like weirdo characters but he's honestly superfluous.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

precision posted:

People really want to make sure that their games are better, again and again and again

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Norns posted:

Thanks to the automation the combat time scale of the battles is larger than in any of the games before 12. Gambits are there to mask the fact that a boss battle might take 50-100 rounds of combat and if you try to go deep manual that is a lot of effort.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ff12 combat as a mmo really sucks now today when actual mmo ff14 had one of the best combat and boss encounters period in the franchise.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Andrast posted:

I'm just saying what I think about the combat in FF12 so far.

It's not always easy to elaborate why something doesn't work. It just feels off to me.

Zodiac Age really benefits from Active combat over Wait if you're issuing commands. Jack up the battle speed too. You can't gambit everything especially once you start getting some of the better Technicks and you don't want to use stuff like Addle/Shear/Etc on everything you see. If you set it to Active you wont have to deal with the game pausing constantly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Norns posted:

Menuing is incredibly slow and cumbersome and the whole point of gambits is to do as little of it as possible

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

Ff12 combat as a mmo really sucks now today when actual mmo ff14 had one of the best combat and boss encounters period in the franchise.

Yeah, 12 is hurt a lot by 14 doing its system better.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

precision posted:

This also applies to FF12 and A Realm Reborn.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Levantine posted:

Zodiac Age really benefits from Active combat over Wait if you're issuing commands. Jack up the battle speed too. You can't gambit everything especially once you start getting some of the better Technicks and you don't want to use stuff like Addle/Shear/Etc on everything you see. If you set it to Active you wont have to deal with the game pausing constantly.

You can just have it do addle etc on things with high hp, you know. There's a Gambit for that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Using menus heavily even on just one character is super slow and they intend you to use Gambits to take out a lot of the little things so you should only have to use the menu when you need to react to something or change up tactics.

Also FFXIV is good.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

King Bahamut posted:

Am I missing an unlock camera button, because I can't see how a goddamned thing is targeted. If it's a flying enemy I can't even see the damage numbers because my leader gets underneath it

This is a few pages back but holding L2 will focus the camera on your target, which lets you see the damage numbers on big/flying enemies. It's also nice to use so you can appreciate some of the boss or esper designs.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

LawfulWaffle posted:

This is a few pages back but holding L2 will focus the camera on your target, which lets you see the damage numbers on big/flying enemies. It's also nice to use so you can appreciate some of the boss or esper designs.

Another neat control thing you can do that isn't signposted is you can hold Triangle while pressing up when selling large amounts of items and it will instantly select all of that item's number to sell.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Levantine posted:

Another neat control thing you can do that isn't signposted is you can hold Triangle while pressing up when selling large amounts of items and it will instantly select all of that item's number to sell.

Oh son of a--

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Levantine posted:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm getting the idea there should be a big: Read the manual tag on the game.