Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gobbeldygook posted:

$6/month for a single weekly TV show is not unreasonable. That's only $1.50/episode.

That would mean something if All Access weren't a steaming pile of poo poo, technologically speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Affordable or not, good bitrate or not, I'm still likely going to pirate it because throwing down credit card info for yet another monthly service that might forget to cancel (drat you, Prime!) sounds like a hassle.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timby posted:

That would mean something if All Access weren't a steaming pile of poo poo, technologically speaking.

Is this actually true? I've googled around a little, and most reviews of the service don't mention any technical problems.

(I have to rely on those reviews because I've never actually met anyone who subscribes to CBS All Access in real life.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

Is this actually true? I've googled around a little, and most reviews of the service don't mention any technical problems.

I gave the free trial a shot earlier this year, and all I got was nonstop buffering issues. Unless they've overhauled their infrastructure, All Access is a streaming platform held together with toothpicks and the putty they use to make Klingon foreheads.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CBS all access is on the same level of video and audio quality as other channel provider streaming apps (like Syfy Now, FX Now, etc.) which is to say it's watchable if you don't have an alternative, but not worth paying for on its own.

The video bitrate is too low and 720p only, the audio is only two channel, and the audio bitrate is also way too low which makes it sound like a late 90s MP3.

15 episodes at $6 /month means that you'll be paying minimum $24 for the season, but you'll likely pay more due to the way they are splitting the seasons, necessitating getting two partial months. So, likely going to be $30.

That's with ads and all of the quality issues stated above. And you don't own it.

You can buy most full seasons of TV on Vudu for that price. That gives you high bitrate 1080p streaming, 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus audio, and you own it without commercials.

I would be happy to plunk down $30 for Discovery, but only on Vudu, Amazon, or Google Play. I'm not giving up that $30 to all access.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Timby posted:

I gave the free trial a shot earlier this year, and all I got was nonstop buffering issues. Unless they've overhauled their infrastructure, All Access is a streaming platform held together with toothpicks and the putty they use to make Klingon foreheads.
Do you expect them to somehow "pay money" to make their poo poo work? Ridiculous! That's not the American way.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bull3964 posted:

I would be happy to plunk down $30 for Discovery, but only on Vudu, Amazon, or Google Play. I'm not giving up that $30 to all access.

This is pretty much it.

There are existing, dedicated services that work well enough already. CBS All Access isn't able to compete with them on their own terms, so instead they're hoping they can get people to plunk down an equivalent amount of money for a shittier service by locking their own content to it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gobbeldygook posted:

$6/month for a single weekly TV show is not unreasonable. That's only $1.50/episode.

For something I don't even know if it's good or not? Ain't happening.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The Bloop posted:

Who the gently caress is already deciding on watching either one and not the other?

Watch both, then decide.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:golfclap:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Program complete.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"Computer, create a Star Trek series even Data couldn't watch."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

"Computer, create a Star Trek series even Data couldn't watch."

*makes disgusted face which turns to surprised joy* "I hate this! It is revolting!" .... *returns to flat expression* "Now please turn it off."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

You forgot the last piece:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Personally I think Orville looks kind of dumb but I will remain open minded. That said I am not a fan of McFarlane and casting himself as the lead is pretty rich. He's not a lead, he's a Hollywood writer, and looks the part. Maybe the smuggest looking motherfucker will be a good fit for a Kirk analogue I guess but I'm guessing he's going to use the setup of the ex wife thing to be a springboard for sophomoric misogynistic jokes.

As other posters have said, if it turns out to be Galaxy Quest, great. But if it's Family Guy, blech. I just don't think McFarlane can himself. And why would he? He's got legions of adoring fans who don't have a critical thought in their brain about his shows.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think McFarlane is a legit Star Trek fan, though, and I don't think he likes it because it has a ton of wacky random gags.

I've got some faith here, remember that early Family Guy was actually good.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, I have better hopes for Orville being the Galaxy Quest show we never got than I have for Discovery being anything more than a JJTrek styled Enterprise.

Do we know if there's some kind of overarching theme or plot for Discovery season 1?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Do we know if there's some kind of overarching theme or plot for Discovery season 1?

Yes, they've said it will have a season-long story arc.

It's now pretty clear that that arc will basically be Number One is an officer on the Shenzhou --> she accidentally starts a war with the Klingons somehow (Shenzhou maybe gets blown up) --> angst --> she becomes first officer of the Discovery --> more angst --> dealing with Klingons --> personal growth, adjusting to new role, yada yada, big explosions maybe we're not so different etc.etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have not seen either TV show and will decide if I like them after I have watched some episodes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Grand Fromage posted:

I have not seen either TV show and will decide if I like them after I have watched some episodes.

Lol get a load of this calm and considered approach

What a freak

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RNsZvdYZQ&t=69s

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

To me the most offensive thing about Discovery are those lovely uniforms. I mean, Trek uniforms aren't exactly groundbreaking, but those new ones look like Generic Sci-Fi Uniform Of The Week.

Like, after having seen promotional material for Orville and Discovery, I literally couldn't tell you what the difference is between the two uniform styles from memory.

#trekfashion

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think the uniforms are slick. Part of the problem I think is that Star Trek uniforms basically are generic sci-fi uniforms at this point. It seems cliche because Star Trek created the cliche.

I'm really going to the mat for Discovery here so I'll find something about it that I think is bad... Actually it might be how everything is gold. Blue and gold. It's kinda Trump-ish and also reminds me maybe of the Tonight Show w/ Jimmy Fallon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's because everyone's wearing the same primary color that also happens to blend with the color palette of the entire bridge. No one stands out, they just blend in with everything else in the shot. The metallic division bands are okay in concept, but they're too subtle to notice at a glance. You have to stare to figure out command, science, etc. It also doesn't help that metallic cloth changes color given the lighting in each scene, so Science Silver may end up as Command Gold if your character is walking around at dusk.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 24, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Going to the mat for a show that hasn't even yet premiered seems a bit wrong. I'm extremely cautiously optimistic about it just because we haven't had a TV Trek in ten years, but I couldn't see myself defending it at all.

Positive things I could probably say about Discovery:

-I like Jason Isaacs and Michelle Yeoh.
-That alien dude seems pretty cool I guess.

Neutral things I could say about Discovery:

-It's set in space and has "Star Trek" in the title
-There's lots of dark lighting and lensflare
-The ship, while ugly, is at least a nod to 70s-era Trek

Negative things I could say about Discovery:

-Nobody has any idea whatsoever what it's about. It's set before TOS, but a setting isn't a plot. Also there are multiple ships apparently? With multiple crews, but only one of them gets to be named in the show title? Something about death everywhere, roided-out Klingons, and boring action setpieces? At this point in the release cycle for Voyager and Enterprise, we were pretty well aware about what overarching theme or idea those shows were about. For Discovery, we've got absolutely nothing, and it just further underscores the assumption that this is going to be an intensely market-researched, demographically-targeted, lowest common denominator series, moreso than others have been in the past.

I'm a sucker who is willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but CBS has given me pretty little reason to do so. I'm pretty much just getting by on hope at this point, that people actually remember what Star Trek is supposed to do and what space it should occupy. The JJ films eventually got around to remembering that by Beyond, and if it can be successful there, there's no reason why it couldn't be that again in a TV format.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 24, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just watched the Ro Laren introduction episode, it's a really good one. The Bajorans are a bit like real life Palestinians, Riker doesn't let Ro wear her little earpiece, but at the end she gets to keep it, like a headscarf at work.

I really like the character, when the crew discusses which Bajoran leader they should talk to Crusher talks about this famous charming diplomat guy she met at a party once, and Ro just shoots it down and says that guy is just a sanitised Bajoran people like to invite to parties like some Bob Geldof poo poo. I'm not a fan of Troi and Crusher and she just brushes them off. It'd have been cool if she had actually gotten the role she was suppoed to get in DS9, instead we got Kira, who is more of a wooden stereotype.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like Kira, granted, but wooden is not a criticism I can see being levied at her. Melodramatic, maybe, but not wooden. And maybe this is hindsight, but a character that is an admitted terrorist that is one of the heroes is not really a stereotype I've ever seen?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WampaLord posted:

I think McFarlane is a legit Star Trek fan, though, and I don't think he likes it because it has a ton of wacky random gags.

I've got some faith here, remember that early Family Guy was actually good.

Yes, but do you have faith...of the heart?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol you realize they're going back to the "first contact with the Klingons" well for discovery? Where have we seen that before. . .

Jason Isaacs in his interview p much says he's typecast again so whelp.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shibawanko posted:

I just watched the Ro Laren introduction episode, it's a really good one. The Bajorans are a bit like real life Palestinians, Riker doesn't let Ro wear her little earpiece, but at the end she gets to keep it, like a headscarf at work.

I really like the character, when the crew discusses which Bajoran leader they should talk to Crusher talks about this famous charming diplomat guy she met at a party once, and Ro just shoots it down and says that guy is just a sanitised Bajoran people like to invite to parties like some Bob Geldof poo poo. I'm not a fan of Troi and Crusher and she just brushes them off. It'd have been cool if she had actually gotten the role she was suppoed to get in DS9, instead we got Kira, who is more of a wooden stereotype.

Yeah it's a great episode, the kind that probably would have led to Ro becoming a regular on a less stuck-in-the-mud show. Too bad they ruined her character in the end.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if you genuinely didn't like the trailer or if you're just doing the "heh, Seth McFarlane sucks poo poo, right?" thing. I'm not one to like Seth McFarlane all that much. He usually takes a funny joke and then runs it into the ground until it's dead, then puts it in his show. Even then, I still enjoyed the trailer for Orville. I'm giving it a shot to see if there is someone to rein him in. If not, whatever. It's a FOX show, it will be cancelled after the first season anyway.

The trailer genuinely didn't make me smile once, let alone laugh. It's strange to me that people find it funny. Which jokes did you laugh at?

I don't have some kind of weird vendetta against Seth MacFarlane, (I enjoyed Family Guy back in the day) I just don't think he's made anything funny for a long, long time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's because everyone's wearing the same primary color that also happens to blend with the color palette of the entire bridge. No one stands out, they just blend in with everything else in the shot. The metallic division bands are okay in concept, but they're too subtle to notice at a glance. You have to stare to figure out command, science, etc. It also doesn't help that metallic cloth changes color given the lighting in each scene, so Science Silver may end up as Command Gold if your character is walking around at dusk.

Yeah, the uniforms are really ridiculously over-designed. Someone apparently forgot the idea of "less is more."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Timby posted:

Yeah, the uniforms are really ridiculously over-designed. Someone apparently forgot the idea of "less is more."

Yep. I mean, even the JJ Trek uniforms look both modern and classic. And that Beyond one with the awesome collar was fantastic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I like Kira, granted, but wooden is not a criticism I can see being levied at her. Melodramatic, maybe, but not wooden. And maybe this is hindsight, but a character that is an admitted terrorist that is one of the heroes is not really a stereotype I've ever seen?

I meant more how she was portrayed as a religious Bajoran, somehow it didn't hit the right note especially in the beginning of DS9, but I haven't watched that in so long that I don't really remember what exactly it was that I didn't like about her then, i think she sometimes gave her opinion as "the Bajoran point of view" rather than as the character's point of view, kind of like how Tuvok will give stereotypically Vulcan replies to almost everything that happens like he's an archetype of his species with no personality of his own. She gets better in the later seasons though when she goes to Cardassia and hangs out with Dukat and Damar.

The Discovery uniforms combined with the lighting on the bridge makes them look like they're inside of a cheap RGB casemod of a nerd's computer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Her early portrayal is much more "I spent my teen years blowing up buses of Cardassians so they'd leave and stop forcing us to work for them, and now I have to answer to a bunch of smooth nosed alien pricks? gently caress YOU"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, I liked Kira as someone who isn't immediately on board with the Federation way of doing things and not because of being a cartoon villain opposed to them, but having her own history, agenda and reasons to distrust galactic empires. And who has absolutely zero patience for typical Star Trek wacky space shenanigans.

It helps that they introduce other Bajoran characters that contrast her, so she doesn't have to be The Bajoran the entire show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Whoops, wrong bajoran.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah, I liked Kira as someone who isn't immediately on board with the Federation way of doing things and not because of being a cartoon villain opposed to them, but having her own history, agenda and reasons to distrust galactic empires. And who has absolutely zero patience for typical Star Trek wacky space shenanigans.

It was really great how her arc went. It's easy to forget how angry she is in season one, but it all fits. She's a good personification of the Federation effort to bring the Bajorans around to accepting the Federation. It would've been too abstract without a character like her on the main cast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would say 'over designed' seems like an appropriate criticism for what we've seen if Discovery so far.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought going into some of these elements, but there's a level of overkill going on and that meticulous detail is never going to translate through the screen. It seems like a lot of resources going to something that no one is going to be able to appreciate.

It feels like they are designing the props and costumes for display in an exhibit rather than elements used for story telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Inescapable Duck posted:

It helps that they introduce other Bajoran characters that contrast her, so she doesn't have to be The Bajoran the entire show.

Of course, the flip side is that Kira frequently seemed like the only reasonable Bajoran in the room. Maybe Bareil on a good day and look where that got him.