Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

GaussianCopula posted:

Would the Palestinians accept a state that consists of all of the West Bank except for Jerusalem and Gaza, with no right of return and no special transit rights trough sovereign Israeli territory?

Probably not, which is why the conflict will continue.

Has anyone who matters actually proposed this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GaussianCopula posted:

Would the Palestinians accept a state that consists of all of the West Bank except for Jerusalem and Gaza, with no right of return and no special transit rights trough sovereign Israeli territory?

do you think israel would willingly give over land with great agricultural potential and access to the jordan river? do you think the problem is uppity palestinians being stubborn and not accepting offers from the generous israelis?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GaussianCopula posted:

Actually there's a real chance they would.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Israel is just waiting for another war to use as an excuse to grab more land. Maybe installing metal detectors to increase tensions is actually good for Israel.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Fututor Magnus posted:

do you think israel would willingly give over land with great agricultural potential and access to the jordan river?

For peace, absolutely.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

BattleMoose posted:

For peace, absolutely.

well then you continue to live up to your red text, smh

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

well then you continue to live up to your red text, smh

Oh no, what an absolutely horrible person I am. Literally the worst of the worst. So abhorrent that I should in fact kill myself and leave the world in a better place.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

BattleMoose posted:

Oh no, what an absolutely horrible person I am. Literally the worst of the worst. So abhorrent that I should in fact kill myself and leave the world in a better place.

You could just stop posting in D&D which would probably be easier than killing yourself and definitely easier than not being a dumb loving retard. Your prerogative, though

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BattleMoose posted:

instead of being dramatic why don't you explain why you think israel will act contrarily to how they've acted for all of their history and hand over land that's very economically useful to them? why do you think that the israelis are the ones who want peace rather than squeezing out every bit of economic value out of palestinian land as every colonizer has wanted to do throughout history?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Fututor Magnus posted:

instead of being dramatic why don't you explain why you think israel will act contrarily to how they've acted for all of their history and hand over land that's very economically useful to them?

The first time I tried to participate in this thread I earned this avatar. Now I make one comment and straight to verbal abuse.

Maybe Ill try again in the future but for the meantime I'll leave you guys to it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Orange Devil posted:

So if they would, why are they not offering that publicly to Israel. At that point Israel would have to accept it, because they have no legitimate reason to refuse it that would hold up before the court of public (world) opinion.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

BattleMoose posted:

The first time I tried to participate in this thread I earned this avatar. Now I make one comment and straight to verbal abuse.

Maybe Ill try again in the future but for the meantime I'll leave you guys to it.

Try making wise use of your time in self-imposed exile: read a book cover to back for once, maybe shop around for a backbone

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

BattleMoose posted:

For peace, absolutely.

It turns out all the facts and evidence point to the contrary.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

So if they would, why are they not offering that publicly to Israel. At that point Israel would have to accept it, because they have no legitimate reason to refuse it that would hold up before the court of public (world) opinion.

Probably because every time in the past the Palestinians have acceded to any Israeli demands the Israeli's have immediately demanded more while declaring the Palestinian position to be terrorism?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

Err, why would 'legitimacy' have anything to do with Israeli refusal to negotiate. The colonies are illegitimate by all international standards, and that hasn't stopped Israel from building more 'settlements'. Besides that, Israeli refusal to grant Palestinians autonomy in the West Bank even in the areas where they are a majority tells us all we need to know about Israeli aims when it comes to West Bank. Israel intends to colonize the area and drive Palestinians out, and their every policy is aimed at achieving just that.

Of course, we should totally grant the Bibi the benefit of doubt when it comes to peace. He's such an ameniable and peaceful man, after all.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BattleMoose posted:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I'm sure Netanyahu actually wants peace, which is why his government includes Avigdor Lieberman and a couple Jewish Home ministers.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/889441225404755968

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Orange Devil posted:

I can't see the Palestinians accepting it, the loss of Jerusalem and possibly Al Aqsa is massive, nor can I see why it would be broached seeing as Gaza is the only bit of Palestinian territory that Israel seems like it would be happy to do away with.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
It's a stupid hypothetical, Israel has never - and will never - offered anything like the whole West Bank (I'm assuming with 1967 borders)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

qkkl posted:

Israel is just waiting for another war to use as an excuse to grab more land. Maybe installing metal detectors to increase tensions is actually good for Israel.
They are still building settlements. They never need an excuse to steal land.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

GaussianCopula posted:

The Palestinians have made any number of generous offers to Israel in the past that have been refused by Israel, only for Israel to argue it's the Palestinians demanding too much that means no peace can be had. World opinion also means nothing here, the two peoples are not engaged in a popularity contest.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

What the position the Zionists itt right now are arguing for amounts to is this: the Palestinians should unconditionally surrender and let Israel handle them as it thinks best. At least that way there would be peace. Refusal go do this makes you a warlike intransigent.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
In case any of you had any doubt that Israel is an apartheid ISIS regime:-

https://twitter.com/edokonrad/status/889456955370217473

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Oh yay, another round of ethnic cleansing.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Disinterested posted:

The Palestinians have made any number of generous offers to Israel in the past that have been refused by Israel, only for Israel to argue it's the Palestinians demanding too much that means no peace can be had. World opinion also means nothing here, the two peoples are not engaged in a popularity contest.

When did Palestinians ever offer to give up control over Jerusalem or abandon their right of return claim, can you please link sources?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

GaussianCopula posted:

When did Palestinians ever offer to give up control over Jerusalem or abandon their right of return claim, can you please link sources?

Can you articulate why these are reasonable demands that the Palestinians should acquiese to on grounds other than "the Israelis have them at gunpoint"? Jerusalem is the cultural and religious capital of the Palestinians, Israeli authority over which even the US doesn't recognize, and the UN has reaffirmed their right of return every year for the past 60+. Why should the Israeli priority of a majority-Jewish ethnostate supercede the internationally-recognized rights of the land's indigenous people?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

GaussianCopula posted:

Palestinian negotiators have never pushed for a right to return as it's normally understood (e.g. a right for all refugees to return), only ever at most arguing for a portion of refugees to return. This is oftentimes a very low, sometimes symbolic level, that is even lower than Israel's benchmarks for what it will accept.

Two separate journalists released books after speaking to the people on both sides of negotiations which got praise from the Israeli and Palestinian sides for their accuracy. Clayton E Swisher's The Truth About Camp David states:

"...Arafat has been willing to accept a limited right of return, in all liklihood within the symbolic strictures of "family reunification" entertained at Stockholm, so long as the Palestinians received recognition of that right and a viable state with palestinian sovereignty over East Jerusalem and the Haram al-Sharif/Temple Mount. With those compromises in hand, Arafat would be in a strengthened position to go to the Al Aqsa Mosque and address the entire Palestinian disaspora: "There is no reason to go live in Israel now. Come home and help us build the state we have!"(56)" (page 282)

Meanwhile Charles Enderlin's Shattered Dreams: The failure of the peace process in the middle east, 1995 - 2002 states:

"Never, despite the claims of certain Jewish organisations, did the Palestinian negotiators demand the return to Israel of 3,000,000 refugees. The figures discussed in the course of the talks varied from several hundred to several thousand Palestinians to be allowed to return with Israel's authorisation" (Page 324)

Palestinian negotiators have been willing to cede portions of Jerusalem, but never the whole thing. Of course the question is who the gently caress thinks Palestine should just make these concessions? This is a really bizarre discussion that has no bearing on either reality or the rights of the respective parties.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

GaussianCopula posted:

If they were majority christian would you even think demanding they cede the entirety of Jerusalem East/Al-Quds (which for the record is also a holy city for Islam) is a reasonable demand?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Would demolishing the Temple Mount be better in the long run? It seems that having an area that is the holiest site in one religion, and the third holiest site in another, is just bound to cause a never ending conflict.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

qkkl posted:

Would demolishing the Temple Mount be better in the long run? It seems that having an area that is the holiest site in one religion, and the third holiest site in another, is just bound to cause a never ending conflict.

Demolishing the temple mount definitely has never caused problems in the past.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
No negotiations of destroying the Temple Mount can begin until the Third Temple is finished, hth

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

qkkl posted:

Why just the Temple Mount? Let's turn the entire Israel/Palestine area into smooth glass that glows in the dark. No?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The IDF:- a bunch of well armed ISIS barbarians and cowards.

https://twitter.com/mohamedghilan/status/889568402364289024

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Agnosticnixie posted:

If they were majority christian would you even think demanding they cede the entirety of Jerusalem East/Al-Quds (which for the record is also a holy city for Islam) is a reasonable demand?

As I see it they have 2 options:

a) Continue to live in a permanent state of conflict
b) Accept the reality that Israel made the Arabs pay for their continued aggression after 1948 and give up some things you don't want to give up.

No matter their religion, option b is clearly to be preferred. It's not like the Greeks can make claims on Constantinople/Istanbul just because it's a holy city for them. Oh, and the Jews gave up Mount Sinai for peace, so there is even an example of that.

Al-Saqr posted:

uhm, I did seem to miss it, but did they decapitate him like the Islamic State would probably have done? I mean it's very clear that he falls without the soldiers doing anything, and the muffled bang comes long after his fall starts, so is presumably unrelated.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 24, 2017

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

:thunk:

GaussianCopula posted:

uhm, I did seem to miss it, but did they decapitate him like the Islamic State would probably have done?

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Palestinians have already accepted they're the losers by offering up a ton of concessions. Every time they do Israel just pushes it's demands even further. It's Israel that has to change for peace to come about.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

What the hell happened there? It looked like one of the soldiers turned around and the Palestinian dude fell over.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

GaussianCopula posted:

As I see it they have 2 options:

a) Continue to live in a permanent state of conflict
b) Accept the reality that Israel made the Arabs pay for their continued aggression after 1948 and give up some things you don't want to give up.

No matter their religion, option b is clearly to be preferred. It's not like the Greeks can make claims on Constantinople/Istanbul just because it's a holy city for them. Oh, and the Jews gave up Mount Sinai for peace, so there is even an example of that.

Jerusalem is about 33% palestinian right now you dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Also the ethnic cleansing of Palestine began before the Arabs invaded and was planned well ahead of time, and can't in any event be justified by the behaviour of Syria or whoever else.