Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Boris Galerkin posted:

So WW takes place during WW1. What does she do from then until now? I ask this as someone who isn't familiar with Wonder Woman's story at all other than I know she's part of the Justice League and has an invisible jet or something, from those old cartoons.
In the comics, Diana doesn't leave the island during World War I, she leaves more or less whenever the "modern day" is that the story was written. So when the character was created, during the 1940s, she left during World War II and that was, until now, the war she was best known for fighting in. When the character was rebooted in the 80s, that's when she left the island. And so on so forth.

The idea that she left the island waaay early back in World War I, much less that she spent 100 years in hiding in Man's World, is a new idea specific to BvS and this film. So, like folks have said, there's no way to say what she did or didn't do during that time until they make it more clear in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

She just switches between "Wonder Fu" and "Wonder Goku" based on whichever thing would look cooler or be more considered more dramatically appropriate. So she has to dodge bullets, but she can also tank death rays from the Antichrist.

I guess it's no sillier than Tony Stark becoming immune to physics when he has the Iron Man suit on, or the Hulk jobbing whenever he goes rogue, or Captain America curling a helicopter. Everyone focuses their chi as appropriate to the situation. Every DC movie tends to end with characters hadoukening each other on a moonscape though, no matter what was going on previously.

Or maybe she doesn't want to instantly disintegrate everyone in the room with god particles.

It's consistent with comic book movies in general. A bit I'd managed to forget was that Hulk hits Black Widow, hard, while running, so it's got his momentum behind it. She grimaces on the ground for a moment, and is karate fighting Hawkeye in the next scene. Two pistol bullets to the limbs incapacitate Cap, but earlier he was launched 30 metres through the air by a grenade. Iron Man has survived literal war zones, but 5 minutes getting punched by Cap is enough to ruin his suit.

quote:

This is also noticeable with the other DC characters, when you get stuff like Batman having to wear Frank Miller Armor to fight Superman, but reacting to being shot point blank in the back of the head ten minutes later like someone snapped a wet towel at him.
This is a weird one, since I'm pretty sure Superman is supposed to be stronger than a pistol, and getting tossed around by Superman visibly hurts him.

quote:

The point being, I am pretty sure you could empty a mag into Wonder Woman's face while she sat there and nothing would happen one way or another--unless the narrative called for it, like she had turned evil or a trusted character warned her that she was being a dumbass and would lose.
I'm pretty sure she's fictional, so it would be difficult for me to assail her with any kind of weapon.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Can't wait for the realistic superhero, Lifetime of Physical Therapy Man. His superpower is that he may one day walk again after having taken abuse equivalent to that of a typical action movie protagonist.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

Can't wait for the realistic superhero, Lifetime of Physical Therapy Man. His superpower is that he may one day walk again after having taken abuse equivalent to that of a typical action movie protagonist.

Batman at the beginning of Dark Knight Rises?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In The Ultimate Edition of BvS, Bruce takes a handful of prescription pills when he wakes up in the morning. His nightstand has a bunch of bottles on it. I mean it's not Confined to a Wheelchair Man but it's a small sign of the toll being batman takes on his body (and possibly mind).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

In The Ultimate Edition of BvS, Bruce takes a handful of prescription pills when he wakes up in the morning. His nightstand has a bunch of bottles on it. I mean it's not Confined to a Wheelchair Man but it's a small sign of the toll being batman takes on his body (and possibly mind).

Really, this explains the hallucinations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thanks guys. Few more quick questions:

Is Diana not allowed to go back to her island or does she just not want to?

Do all Amazons have the same seemingly indestructible bracers or are Diana's just special?

When she was doing her graduation training routine thing and hurt her aunt was that a god power? What other powers does Diana have?

e: Are the Amazons actually considered a different species/race from "man" or is it more literal, that they're just the women of humans? I'm just a bit confused by this cause Diana said that men were required for procreation but apparently Diana is/was the only child on the island. So like, do they have other ways of procreating (I mean anything is possible in a world where Greek gods exist right?)? How are they not an extinct species if not? Did all the grown Amazons use to be children as well? I guess technically we don't know when the time period was when Diana was shown to be a child so maybe they just age really weirdly since she didn't seem to age much over 100 years living with men.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 24, 2017

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do all Amazons have the same seemingly indestructible bracers or are Diana's just special?
The armour Diana takes from the tower is supposed to be forged from the shattered remains of Aegis, Zeus' shield.

quote:

When she was doing her graduation training routine thing and hurt her aunt was that a god power? What other powers does Diana have?
Yes, that was a god thing, first time it manifests. As for other powers, well, WW's powerset has always been a bit inconsistent and loosely defined. The last fight does however show that reflects and/or redirect Ares' lighting, because making her own lightning bolts is not one of her powers. Similarly, her hovering might also be siphoning power from Ares, since we otherwise only ever see her leap.

quote:

e: Are the Amazons actually considered a different species/race from "man" or is it more literal, that they're just the women of humans? I'm just a bit confused by this cause Diana said that men were required for procreation but apparently Diana is/was the only child on the island. So like, do they have other ways of procreating (I mean anything is possible in a world where Greek gods exist right?)? How are they not an extinct species if not? Did all the grown Amazons use to be children as well? I guess technically we don't know when the time period was when Diana was shown to be a child so maybe they just age really weirdly since she didn't seem to age much over 100 years living with men.
Amazons were created by Zeus. They are either immortal or age really slowly, but they are not unkillable and can be wounded like a normal human. And while they might be a bit stronger and faster than a human, they are on that scale, they don't have superhero strength and speed like Diana does. Which is why the constantly tell her that she's stronger than she thinks during the opening.
As for Diana's age, I read somewhere that she's supposed to be like 5000 years old in present day.

No idea about your first question, but we do see Themiscyra in the new Justice League trailer, so maybe not.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Throughout most of Wonder Woman canon, she's been allowed to go back to the island, and often did. In very recent storylines -- as in, the DC line-wide reboot that happened just last year -- it's now established that anyone who leaves the island can't go back because its location must remain hidden at all costs. The wording is a bit vague in the film (Hippolyta says "If you go, you may never return"; maybe that means she's not permitted to return, or maybe that she might die out there in the war and therefore not return) so, again, until we learn more it's hard to say for certain whether she can just find the island and go there again if she wants to.

In the comics, the Amazons have advanced forging techniques that make magical equipment for themselves, so all their bracelets are pretty indestructible, but Diana's bracelets are extra special even by that standard. Their origin varies, but the broad-strokes "This is true until another writer says otherwise" version is that they're either special-made for her by Hephaestus, or that they're reforged shards of Zeus' Aegis; either way, I don't believe they've ever been shattered before in the comics.

That special power during the training scene does appear occasionally in the comics, and is attributed to Diana's bracelets being extra special somehow so that when you cross them, they emit a force field that can block things bigger than bullets. But again, that's just in the comics; I believe the film treats this force field power as a godly power of Diana herself and has nothing to do with the bracelets.

I believe the only comic book power that the film doesn't really show is that comics Wonder Woman has superspeed comparable with Superman himself. She wouldn't have needed that shield to cross No Man's Land in the comics, 'cuz she's fast enough to deflect machine gun fire without a sweat.

Oh yeah, she can also talk to animals. There's that too.

The Amazons are an ageless race created from the reborn souls of murdered women (yes, really). They literally sprouted fully-grown from the Aegean Sea, so none of the Amazons were ever children themselves, and the idea is that they're ageless so long as they have the gods' blessings. They can still be killed, though, so there's definitely less Amazons than there were originally. :v: They're also slightly more superpowered than normal humans, so I guess they're not really normal human women in the strictest sense even without the whole immortality thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I kinda get the impression that Amazons are basically a race of unageing female Captain Americas; at the top scale of humanity physically without having to try, but still mortal and vulnerable when overpowered or mobbed- it is mentioned that they were enslaved by humanity in the past, hence taking refuge in Themiscyra.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Awesome thanks goons :respek:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mr. Apollo posted:

Huh, they also did this in Affleck's Daredevil.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Turns out Affleck was just self medicating on set and directors slipped it into the movies.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Art imitating life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

howe_sam posted:

Well, not coincidentally, both of those things are referring to Frank Miller's takes on those characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I vaguely recall his Daredevil sleeping in a coffin with water in it, presumably a sensory deprivation chamber.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The sequel is scheduled for a December 13, 2019 release

http://deadline.com/2017/07/wonder-woman-2-release-date-december-2019-gal-gadot-1202136048/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'm guessing they moved from a summer release date so as not to compete with Star Wars: Episode IX which comes out on May 24, 2019.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm guessing they moved from a summer release date so as not to compete with Star Wars: Episode IX which comes out on May 24, 2019.

We all know Star Wars is inevitably going to be pushed back to the holiday season tho

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

We all know Star Wars is inevitably going to be pushed back to the holiday season tho
I was wondering why 7 and 8 were holiday season releases and 9 is a May release.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was wondering why 7 and 8 were holiday season releases and 9 is a May release.

AFAIK 7, 8, and Rogue One were all 3 originally scheduled for summer release dates then moved back to holiday season.

Frankly it probably works out for all concerned.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

AFAIK 7, 8, and Rogue One were all 3 originally scheduled for summer release dates then moved back to holiday season.

Frankly it probably works out for all concerned.
Ah OK. I didn't realize that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah any Star Wars release is the 800 lb gorilla in the room: it sits itself down wherever it wants and everyone else has to shuffle around to accommodate it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Amazon exclusive, preorder Wonder Woman blu ray with an action figure.

https://www.amazon.com/Exclusive-Figurine-Blu-ray-Digital-UltraViolet/dp/B0719X1GL6

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

And the Oscar goes to -- Wonder Woman

quote:

Wonder Woman’: Warner Bros. Plans Groundbreaking Oscar Campaign for Director, Best Picture (EXCLUSIVE)

With $781 million in global box office receipts, “Wonder Woman” has already broken records as the highest-grossing movie directed by a woman ever.

Now Warner Bros., the studio behind the film, wants the action movie to break another glass ceiling. Although executives haven’t commented publicly on their plans, they have internally discussed launching a formidable awards-season campaign for the movie, in the hopes of making it the first comic-book film nominated for best picture, Variety has learned.

The studio will also stump Patty Jenkins for best director, which would also be groundbreaking. No director of a comic-book film — not even Christopher Nolan — has ever been nominated, and only men have ruled the category since (and before) Kathryn Bigelow won the Oscar for “The Hurt Locker” in 2010.

A spokesperson for WB declined to comment.

This won’t be a cheap endeavor, as the road to the Oscars keeps getting costlier. Big dollars are spent on taking out advertising, making watermarked DVDs, setting screenings, and paying for talent to travel to both coasts, to remind voters how hard they suffered for their craft.

The Oscar race took a turn in 2009, after another Warner. Bros. film, “The Dark Knight,” failed to secure a best picture nomination. In 2010, the Academy expanded its best picture category from five to a maximum of 10 movies. But although blockbusters like “Gravity” and “The Martian” have made the cut, a comic book movie has yet to compete in the top race.

That’s because the Academy is still too stodgy to recognize Batman or Deadpool as art. But Warner Bros. executives have been wondering if new membership expansions, which have increased the voting body to include younger members and more diversity, will boost “Wonder Woman’s” chances. (Among the new class of voters is star Gal Gadot, who will presumably support this mission.)

The studio’s efforts will include reintroducing the film this fall, to scarce few who may not have seen it. Insiders report strong reactions to the screening of “Wonder Woman” at the Academy, as it’s been championed by a liberal Hollywood and a reinvigorated wave of feminism in response to Donald Trump. But the movie’s glow could diminish if the mashup tentpole “Justice League,” which comes out in November and co-stars Gadot, gets ripped to shreds by harsh reviews.

The awards-season race usually starts in the fall, though movies released earlier in the year — such as “Mad Max: Fury Road” — can make a comeback and rally with plenty of nominations. Many of the Academy Awards contenders in 2017 seem to be lower-budged films, such as Paramount’s “Downsizing” and “mother!,” Netlfix’s “Mudbound,” and Sony Pictures Classics’ “Call Me By Your Name.”

With all the focus on “Wonder Woman,” Warner Bros. won’t be neglecting its other summer hit. Sources report to Variety that the studio will also be bringing out the guns for “Dunkirk” and its director Nolan. That means, in a year without a clear frontrunner, Warner Bros. will have two big studio movies trying to crush the competition.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's a good movie, sure, but best picture? Not even close.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, no, the way the battle at the end poo poo the bed with Wonder Woman effortlessly flying around while soldiers hit the dirt while covered in clouds of fire (nowhere near as cool looking as that description is) kills the whole idea of it being a Best Picture winner.

Also that loving mustache on Ares was impossible to take seriously.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That was my favorite part of Ares's costume.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That's a feature.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, the mustache was nowhere near as bad as that awful narration Ares was doing when Wonder Woman was gliding around smashing everything.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean I am obv a fan of the DC movies but lmao that WB finally gets a financially and critically successful super hero movie and their egos go into the loving stratosphere

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Pushing Wonder Woman sure makes Dunkirk look more respectable in comparison if they want to get Christopher Nolan his Oscar.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's just this year's equivalent of Mad Max: Fury Road.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wonder Woman getting a Best Picture nod would be amazing :allears:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

K. Waste posted:

It's just this year's equivalent of Mad Max: Fury Road.

lol it wishes it was that good.

Wonder Woman was a recovery from two overhyped trash films to overhyped OK filmmaking, and now everyone all the sudden is all-in on it because it made way more money than expected. It is the narrative of "DCU is showing renewed promise!" against the narrative of "DC's MCU ripoffs are pathetic!", neither of which are really true.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

teagone posted:

Wonder Woman getting a Best Picture nod would be amazing :allears:

Indeed!

It's riding a wave right now though too which might help, and It's got a ton of pathos, but still a little too comic book-y for the academy. The positivity it seems to elicit from most people will probably help. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if it won - being nominated would be a win far as I am concerned.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yep, my sentiments exactly. No way Wonder Woman wins Best Picture, but just getting the nomination/recognition would be great.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

dont even fink about it posted:

It is the narrative of "DCU is showing renewed promise!" against the narrative of "DC's MCU ripoffs are pathetic!", neither of which are really true.

Yeah, both ignore that DCU produced the best (and probably the first truly great) superhero movie and its good sequel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If BvS didn't get an Oscar Best Picture nod, no superhero film ever should with the possible exception of Spiderman 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If BvS didn't get an Oscar Best Picture nod, no superhero film ever should with the possible exception of Spiderman 2.

Don't forget Ang Lee's Hulk.

• Locked thread