Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Since when was twitter region locked on video content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What's the word on Aleshin? Is he finishing the season?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Depends how high the cheques bounce.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elephant in the room that never gets discussed?

There's a "civil war" between NASCAR and IndyCar/USAC that dates back to NASCAR's creation, and it still exists to this day.

https://speedsport.com/racing-history/torn-from-the-headlines/bill-france-gets-the-boot-from-indianapolis-garage/

https://churchofthegreatoval.wordpress.com/2006/03/22/nascar-indy-a-cold-war-ends/

I see it pop up while watching the Daytona 500 on twitter, during Indianapolis ("Tintops", "Cab Drivers" are casually thrown about) and The Brickyard 400 especially .

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I killed every Indycar fan I saw today so yeah it's a problem

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
History will long remember the day General Sherman burnt Atlanta Motor Speedway to the ground.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

Elephant in the room that never gets discussed?

There's a "civil war" between NASCAR and IndyCar/USAC that dates back to NASCAR's creation, and it still exists to this day.

https://speedsport.com/racing-history/torn-from-the-headlines/bill-france-gets-the-boot-from-indianapolis-garage/

https://churchofthegreatoval.wordpress.com/2006/03/22/nascar-indy-a-cold-war-ends/

I see it pop up while watching the Daytona 500 on twitter, during Indianapolis ("Tintops", "Cab Drivers" are casually thrown about) and The Brickyard 400 especially .

Sports tribalism is a huge thing. It's big with teams, obviously, but it will extend to the sports themselves. Look at the NBA vs the NHL for example. Two completely different sports, yet a non-trivial amount of people think the other is dumb. Hell, look at IRL vs CART and there you go, just apply it to stock cars vs open wheel.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Sports tribalism is a huge thing. It's big with teams, obviously, but it will extend to the sports themselves. Look at the NBA vs the NHL for example. Two completely different sports, yet a non-trivial amount of people think the other is dumb. Hell, look at IRL vs CART and there you go, just apply it to stock cars vs open wheel.

I keep remembering Bobby Unser telling Parnelli to not "scare" one of the USAC guys (Joe Leonard?) at Pikes Peak like they did David Pearson because "He's one of OUR guys".

It's not like there was a "hatred" among drivers, in fact guys like Foyt, Andretti were really respected in the Cup paddock. But the tribal aspect clearly exists. I noticed this sort of attitude coming from Dale Jarrett and Kyle Petty when talking about Kyle Busch running Indianapolis. They seemed bizarrely protective of Joe Gibbs, and treated IndyCar/Indianapolis as some bizarre "foreign" , "dangerous" land for Cup drivers thus it was better for them to not venture into it.

I've gone to Indy races before. When the topic of Cup is brought up? Jokes are made at it's expense. "Tintops", "Cab Drivers", "The races are boring" are pretty consistent things thrown at them. I'm someone who grew up in a household that watched both so that sort of thing was foreign to me up until recently.

The tribal aspect certainly exists. I WISH it could be settled on the race track though, because in theory? There could be some fun contests between the two sides.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

(Look at the makeup of most NBA players versus most hockey players. Hockey fans and to a lesser extent baseball fans are "at odds" with the NBA for a whooooole ooooother reason)

But that sort of tribalism in racing exists everywhere. Happens in Europe with sports cars vs F1 vs touring cars. Happens in Japan sometimes with open wheel vs sports cars, or domestic series vs international ones. It just...happens.

I try not to get caught up in it anymore because I just love racing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

(Look at the makeup of most NBA players versus most hockey players. Hockey fans and to a lesser extent baseball fans are "at odds" with the NBA for a whooooole ooooother reason)

But that sort of tribalism in racing exists everywhere. Happens in Europe with sports cars vs F1 vs touring cars. Happens in Japan sometimes with open wheel vs sports cars, or domestic series vs international ones. It just...happens.

I try not to get caught up in it anymore because I just love racing.

It got heated on my social media feed over it.

Pretty much the pattern went

"BOY I'M SURE GLAD I FOLLOW INDY. NASCAR LOOKS LIKE A MESS/MAN I DON'T LIKE THE STUPID RULES NASCAR HAS!" ------> "gently caress YOU. YOUR SERIES KILLS IT DRIVERS".

I'm confused by that jump. A.) Every series has fatalities including (in the past) NASCAR. B.) Why are you offended at a criticism that I've seen made by NASCAR fans towards NASCAR fans? But that's how extreme I saw a lot of people get who were up in arms about someone not enjoying the particular show that NASCAR put on at IMS.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

harperdc posted:

gently caress off.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Joke's on them, they're both dumb.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Peanut President posted:

gently caress off.

Tell me I'm wrong. Whole lot of dog whistles happen there.

And I think it's the Indianapolis Brickyard race that brings this up the most, specifically Indy v NASCAR. Sports car vs NASCAR seems to have calmed down, especially since the shared owners are treating IMSA right. Only complaints I see from the US is regarding the TV coverage and hopping channels, not boneheaded "NASCAR SUX" stuff.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
A friend of mine who works near IMS was trying to get home last night, but couldn't leave on account of the race letting out at 9ish. I commented that there was a rain delay and some red flags so as to explain. Then people started coming out of the woodwork to complain about NASCAR being a shitshow league for clowns, unlike their pure and good Indycar, which has a proud, rich history of blah blah blah

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

harperdc posted:

there's dogwhistles everywhere if you cock your head and look confused hard enough

you know, like an idiot dog does

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
ASSCAR. Bwaahahahahah.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought "Tin-Tops" meant any closed-body touring or NASCAR-style car. I didn't realize it was pejorative.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Reynold posted:

Then people started coming out of the woodwork to complain about NASCAR being a shitshow league for clowns, unlike their pure and good Indycar

Those people are correct. Please ignore this year's Texas race.

But for real, every form of motorsport has some boring races and the occasional race that's totally clownshoes and good drivers and bad drivers and lol if you can't enjoy loud cars going fast just because they aren't "yours."

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Racing is at its best when it's a shitshow for clowns imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Racing is at its best when it's a shitshow for clowns imo

This is why the Macau Grand Prix is the greatest event in all of motorsport.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

All racing is good and cool.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hold onto your butts. Or dog whistles.
https://twitter.com/indycar/status/889500499770212352

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Reynold posted:

A friend of mine who works near IMS was trying to get home last night, but couldn't leave on account of the race letting out at 9ish. I commented that there was a rain delay and some red flags so as to explain. Then people started coming out of the woodwork to complain about NASCAR being a shitshow league for clowns, unlike their pure and good Indycar, which has a proud, rich history of blah blah blah

The criticism for cup wasn't really there as much as pre-2008 because IndyCar was dealing with problems relating to the split, relating to the fact that short track fans felt shut out, etc.

NASCAR was a behemoth/juggernaut in a vain that Indycar couldn't even try to compete with really even during the their golden years run. Their was also a lot of lovely articles written during that time and afterwards disparaging IndyCar/The Indy 500 while praising NASCAR. Remember when Jeff Gordon became a "thing" and the whole backstory was "He came here cuz IndyCar didn't want him!". That''s kinda what happened.

Since then reunification has happened, and the healing has occurred. IndyCar found a way to circle the wagons with it's fanbase with a few exceptions. I think it's kinda people lashing out in that regard for having to deal with the stuff I posted above.

Doesn't make it right though.

Norns posted:

Yeah. I like stock car racing. I almost weep when I've seen what the france family has done to it since 2004 though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Every single series does clownshoes poo poo. It's not unique to any autosport

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is why the Macau Grand Prix is the greatest event in all of motorsport.

When the winner of the GT3 race wins on his roof? Checks out.

Norns posted:

:yeah:

I love cars that go fast, regardless of how they look or how fast they ultimately go.

:getin:

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah. I like stock car racing. I almost weep when I've seen what the france family has done to it since 2004 though.

It's crazy how NASCAR is flailing and IMSA decided to go, "Alright, we're killing the DP class, in favor of a factory supported, LMP2 based prototype class," to great success (seriously, Mazda picking up Joest and Honda getting Penske is MASSIVE). NASCAR owns IMSA, so I have no clue other than "IMSA is niche, so we don't need to do much. Just keep the ship upright and we're good" they managed to not gently caress up so hard. NASCAR is the luxury yacht with rocket boosters but now the boosters ran out of fuel and the regular engine is on fire.

And they think the solution is to try to light the boosters again.

Or something.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Kill xfinity and Brian France. Invest into Truck and Cup. Seriously, truck is extremely undervalued and almost always better than the other two main series.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem with killing off Xfinity would mean NASCAR would have to acknowledge there's other stock car series other than the Cup, NXS, and Trucks. You go to their website and you don't see anything about K&N unless you go to their Hometracks subsite. When they made it big, they decided to take massive, steaming shits on all the other stock car organizations and act like they were well below them.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

NASCAR admit a problem? Lol here's a new areo package and some sticky poo poo, everything is totally fine now!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Kill xfinity and Brian France. Invest into Truck and Cup. Seriously, truck is extremely undervalued and almost always better than the other two main series.

This.

Also NASCAR really needs to focus on their traditional venues and own up to their southern roots. Not in a lovely way (BRANTLEY GILBERT/BLAKE SHELTON/DIERKS BENTLEY! ARE PLAYING PRE-RACE!), but in a genuine not phony way.

iospace posted:

The problem with killing off Xfinity would mean NASCAR would have to acknowledge there's other stock car series other than the Cup, NXS, and Trucks. You go to their website and you don't see anything about K&N unless you go to their Hometracks subsite. When they made it big, they decided to take massive, steaming shits on all the other stock car organizations and act like they were well below them.

Brian France is still :smug: about XFS fwiw.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

While I don't think NASCAR is in danger of a split, it's definitely standing on the threshold of a similar event. The TV bubble is about to burst sports wide as cord-cutting increases, and it honestly feels like NASCAR is the only major US series that is all "Nah, we good" in regards to not thinking streaming is the future. NHRA is small and niche enough that TV isn't a majority of their income (not to say it doesn't help, mind you), same with IMSA. Indy is looking at their streaming and going, "We were getting a lot of people watching even BEFORE Alonso came over, we need a streaming service for our races!" It doesn't help that NASCAR is bleeding fans faster than ever, and more people are starting to crow about empty stands and dropping TV ratings.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

When they made it big, they decided to take massive, steaming shits on all the other stock car organizations and act like they were well below them.

So they took classes from the Bernie Ecclestone school of business then?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

"I got it on eBay, is very nice."

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/889515171357630465

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/889531321667727361

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

:)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh my gods. STOP TEASING US YOU FUCKERS :argh:

:shlick:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

While I don't think NASCAR is in danger of a split, it's definitely standing on the threshold of a similar event. The TV bubble is about to burst sports wide as cord-cutting increases, and it honestly feels like NASCAR is the only major US series that is all "Nah, we good" in regards to not thinking streaming is the future. NHRA is small and niche enough that TV isn't a majority of their income (not to say it doesn't help, mind you), same with IMSA. Indy is looking at their streaming and going, "We were getting a lot of people watching even BEFORE Alonso came over, we need a streaming service for our races!" It doesn't help that NASCAR is bleeding fans faster than ever, and more people are starting to crow about empty stands and dropping TV ratings.

They have a very bizarre mindset on quite a few things.

"The Daytona 500 wasn't popular in states that weren't the south before 1979". I mean, to the mainstream newspaper crowd I suppose? But stock car racing has been relevant in the northeast, midwest, hell even west coast since it was a "thing". USAC, ARCA, Super DirtCar (sup viking), and ASA were doing pretty well for themselves.

I still find the comments made by Kyle Petty and Dale Jarrett about "IndyCar/Indianapolis 500 being a foreign land" very disappointing. I mean guys like Max Papis go between both series, seem happy, seem welcomed in both. I don't understand that mindset.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Carl "Fuzzy" Van Horn was my dad's favorite driver who sadly passed this week, and he won a fan vote to get a ride at Pocono in a Cup car in 1975, and they held a NASCAR race on the airport by my house in '60 and '61, so yeah.

e- poo poo, local legend Frankie Schneider ran the NASCAR modified series and won the title in '52 and had one Grand National win in '58. James Hylton got his start as part of Frankie's crew

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 24, 2017

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

harperdc posted:

"i dont like the nba because its boring poo poo"
"WOW CHECK OUT THIS RACIST ALSO MAKE SURE TO VOTE FOR HILLARY"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

They have a very bizarre mindset on quite a few things.

"The Daytona 500 wasn't popular in states that weren't the south before 1979". I mean, to the mainstream newspaper crowd I suppose? But stock car racing has been relevant in the northeast, midwest, hell even west coast since it was a "thing". USAC, ARCA, Super DirtCar (sup viking), and ASA were doing pretty well for themselves.

I still find the comments made by Kyle Petty and Dale Jarrett about "IndyCar/Indianapolis 500 being a foreign land" very disappointing. I mean guys like Max Papis go between both series, seem happy, seem welcomed in both. I don't understand that mindset.

As much as everyone hates Kyle Busch, I would have loved to see him him try Double Duty. It's one of the most difficult achievements in motorsports to finish on both lead laps (meaning you did 1100 miles under speed all day) and would definitely help bridge the gap more than meaningless dickwaving over "WHY IS NASCAR AT INDY".

Then Joe Gibbs went "lol nah, you're not doing it". Kyle Busch is a dickbag sure, but his boss is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Peanut President posted:

"i dont like the nba because its boring poo poo"
"WOW CHECK OUT THIS RACIST ALSO MAKE SURE TO VOTE FOR HILLARY"

also there are zero hot takes going the other way from NBA fans towards the NHL and racing, I'm sure

• Locked thread