Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
When Theon went all PTSD I actually thought he was going to say his name was Reek for a sec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Was that his sister that was hung from the bowsprit?

Bummer, I liked her.

The Jorah and Sam scene was hilarious though.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i'm fairly certain the "that's not you" line is Arya reflecting the dire wolf's own thoughts; Arya isn't Arya from back then anymore

it makes sense if you combine it with the Hot Pie scene from earlier where he asks her "what happened to you?" and she doesn't really answer him

It's not, it's a reflection of arya from the first season, the writers flat out say that in the show review. The wolf is wild and has her own pack now, she doesn't want to be a little girls lap dog anymore.

Also Euron for king of westeros! The dude just loving rocks. Head butting bitches and stabbing mofos with glee, gotta love it.

And sorry if it's been answered already, but to whoever it was a few pages back wondering why Sams dad was ok with him going to the nights watch instead of the citadel, it's because the nights watch at least fights. Sam would have something of a chance at glory and therefore not being a waste in his fathers eyes.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 24, 2017

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

GaussianCopula posted:

My favorite part was that Whip Snake got the drop on Euron two times, but because she is fighting with a loving whip instead of an actual weapon, she is now dead.

Oh is it just me or is Emilia Clarke a really lovely actress that has about one expression, which is fitting for nothing but season one episode 1-3 Dany?

No way, she was great in Terminator 7. She's a rising star I tells ya

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Was that his sister that was hung from the bowsprit?

Bummer, I liked her.

The Jorah and Sam scene was hilarious though.

I'm pretty sure that was the two Sand Snakes.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

JacksLibido posted:

Also Euron for king of westeros! The dude just loving rocks. Head butting bitches and stabbing mofos with glee, gotta love it.

It was pretty lame that he got stabbed a whole bunch but that won't matter for poo poo.

Also the dickless bald guy's love story got me to tear up a little bit. And then went on for two pointless minutes.

I am just assuming Arya is loving dead right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sansa fuckin sucks this season so far.

I love that Cersei's master plan to deal with the dragons is just "a big-rear end crossbow"

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

kater posted:

It was pretty lame that he got stabbed a whole bunch but that won't matter for poo poo.

Also the dickless bald guy's love story got me to tear up a little bit. And then went on for two pointless minutes.

I am just assuming Arya is loving dead right now.

Literally everything that makes her character interesting got removed or changed (Stoneheart,her warg powers, her not killing that merchant,Jon dying for her ) hosed up by terrible writing(Faceless men stuff) Or is currently rowing a boat forever.

Oh the wolf didn't stay because budget you know this do not lie to yourself.

Boobs and butts as always were top tier no dragons though I'm only gettin 50% here. Also Yara ew don't have a threesome with your brother like why?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 24, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh gently caress you Theon you goddamn useless cowardly bitch

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Diddie posted:

No way, she was great in Terminator 7. She's a rising star I tells ya

I read yesterday (in an article about Ghost in the Shell) the actual problem with her performance in Terminator 7 was that GoT fans didn't recognize her because she was not wearing a wig, and that's why the movie bombed.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The good of the episode:

- HOT PIE!

- Euron killing 2 bad pussies. Actor said we were supposed to hate him, but now he is actually best character on the show and candidate for Iron Throne 2017.

The bad of the episode:

- No Khaleesi, we cannot use our army in the most efficient way. Let us in fact split our army into multiple factions and spread them way across the map making them more vulnerable to ambush attacks so that our hopelessly outmatched rival can stand a chance at all. We just HAVE TO send our army to pick the rest of our army, we used our one raven on Jon Snow. Yes Khaleesi, I am the same man that was considered smart and a great strategist till season 4 but have since then not done anything to support that claim.

- Wanna know what happened to Nymeria? ZOOM! There she goes! Did you see it? Welp, guess we can check that box off the list.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I see Missandei has read the books.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

lezard_valeth posted:

- No Khaleesi, we cannot use our army in the most efficient way. Let us in fact split our army into multiple factions and spread them way across the map making them more vulnerable to ambush attacks so that our hopelessly outmatched rival can stand a chance at all. We just HAVE TO send our army to pick the rest of our army, we used our one raven on Jon Snow. Yes Khaleesi, I am the same man that was considered smart and a great strategist till season 4 but have since then not done anything to support that claim.

To be fair, since season 5 there are no smart people on the show anymore - well except for Ramsay Bolton, master tactician. Just look at what Littlefinger did since then.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As I'm catching up on the thread, idk if anyone addressed this yet, but the prince who was promised prophecy being potentially mistranslated is not a retcon. The show just never had Aemon's dying scene where he says 'prince' is non gendered in High Valyrian and that he wishes he could go to Dany's side.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

esperterra posted:

As I'm catching up on the thread, idk if anyone addressed this yet, but the prince who was promised prophecy being potentially mistranslated is not a retcon. The show just never had Aemon's dying scene where he says 'prince' is non gendered in High Valyrian and that he wishes he could go to Dany's side.

Right. Not a retcon, just handled in the most brutally awkward way possible.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

kater posted:

Right. Not a retcon, just handled in the most brutally awkward way possible.

They need to keep Missandei relevant to the show for some reason ... Like they could have had Missandei and Greyworm die and keep Selmy on the show, which would have been much more powerful going forward, as Selmy would have been a great adviser and verbal sparring partner for both Tyrion and Varys, but nope, that would probably have been seen as racist.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A 10 year old clever and innocent missandei would have worked so much better than adult missandei and the romance plot is so unnecessary I just never got why they made that change, they could have cast Nathalie Emmanuel for some other role if they were that intent on showing her naked a bunch of times.

I mean people already cheer for every young girl that gets a role in this show and they're all pretty much immediate fan favorites. And yeah, a child Missandei + Selmy would've worked better as Dany's non-cynical advisors anyway.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm absolutely loving tired of Theon's character. Just can't take it anymore.

His character is now multiple hours of being an impotent wretch, and so what? It's unlikely they can write a sequence of events badass enough where he acknowledges how broken of a person he is and the audience cares. He's a punching bag for the writing staff, a running joke at most. And that horse is beaten to a bloody smear on the ice.

For all of the sense it makes in context, they need to send this weenie on an offscreen healing journey with peyote, lemon bars, and hot springs until season 8.

Vegetable posted:

Euron got stabbed at least twice in that fight, Whip Snake had no chance with any weapon

So... is this the one time ever that they didn't poison a blade, or am I misremembering the books?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
It's really cruel of Missandei to insist that Grey Worm keeps speaking this language in which he's clearly not fluent during their non-educational, intimate conversations

Another retcon is that apparently ballistae or whatever just aren't known in Westeros since Meraxes was killed by one in the Conquest but Qyburn is acting like he's just invented a doomsday weapon

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Escobarbarian posted:

Sansa fuckin sucks this season so far.

I love that Cersei's master plan to deal with the dragons is just "a big-rear end crossbow"

She always sucks man

She had like one good scene in all of the seasons

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

If they accelerate Sansa's transformation into Cersi-lite anymore they'll have to shave her head.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Man big worm's got his mangled dick out and they don't even show it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

tin can made man posted:

Another retcon is that apparently ballistae or whatever just aren't known in Westeros since Meraxes was killed by one in the Conquest but Qyburn is acting like he's just invented a doomsday weapon

I doubt they are unknown, just fallen out of favour like in real life. The one he had looked like it was covered in dust, shoved down there with the skulls. If you want to shoot walls, you use a trebuchet. If you want to shoot men, you use a crossbow. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if a heavy arbalest could do a number on a dragon in numbers. No need for unwieldy siege engines.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Andrigaar posted:

I'm absolutely loving tired of Theon's character. Just can't take it anymore.

His character is now multiple hours of being an impotent wretch, and so what? It's unlikely they can write a sequence of events badass enough where he acknowledges how broken of a person he is and the audience cares. He's a punching bag for the writing staff, a running joke at most. And that horse is beaten to a bloody smear on the ice.

Agreed. They dragged it out way too long with Ramsay and now that's over with he's just standing around being miserable and useless. Guess he'll eventually get redemption by stabbing Euron or something, but it'll be way too late to care about.

Apart from nice tits & butts this episode was boring as hell. Sand Snakes getting killed was good, but the scene was such a dark mess it was hard to tell what was happening for half of it.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

tin can made man posted:

It's really cruel of Missandei to insist that Grey Worm keeps speaking this language in which he's clearly not fluent during their non-educational, intimate conversations

Yeah, I don't quite get the ballista thing. HOLY poo poo YOU MEAN YOU PUT A BIG STICK ON A BIG THING AND IT SHOOTS THE BIG STICK?! Mind. Blown. I'm guessing Qyburn's radical creation is to put wheels on the motherfucker and drag them around with the Lannister forces so that they can shoot at dragons in the field, but how the gently caress would Westeros of the Age of Conquest not have those, too?

edit: The rare funny thing from a Redditor:

Euron: come for your sister.
    Theon has disconnected from the game.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 24, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Those sassy female ultra fighters from Dorn didn't get to do a lot of work.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm just glad we got yet another pronunciation of Ch'Vyalthan

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GaussianCopula posted:

Oh is it just me or is Emilia Clarke a really lovely actress that has about one expression, which is fitting for nothing but season one episode 1-3 Dany?

Yes. She was a great season one Dany, but she has been incredibly one note since emerging from the pyre.

She's somehow slightly better when speaking fake languages, though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sure, sure

She's really pretty though :kiddo:

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

WampaLord posted:

Ugh, I hate Death of the Author but to me the line works so much better if Arya is talking about herself.

To quote you, WOOOSH.

Arya already rejected the Faceless Men and committed to being Arya Stark, last season. It wouldn't make sense for her to talk about herself being nothing, now.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

some guy on the bus posted:

Is it expected that we remember that exact line from Season 1? What a weird call back and awkward stupid line if you don't remember that. I thought it was likely Nymeria but then it was strange that Nymeria wanted nothing to do with her and she says it's not her. I don't know if I should take that literally or not since I'm not sure why the wolf is leaving. It not being Nymeria is as good a reason as any I thought.

How dare you. The lion in my av is for Lannister and the Silent Majority are Lannister fans.

Agreed. I was pretty confused by that line, too. Then when I saw the producer commentary and they were like "it was a callback to season 1".... I mean, that was six loving years ago. Do they really expect people to go "ah, yes, a callback to her earlier line. brilliant!"?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

esperterra posted:

Yes. She was a great season one Dany, but she has been incredibly one note since emerging from the pyre.

She's somehow slightly better when speaking fake languages, though.
Shes an actress who is completely out of her depth. In many ways shes perfectly cast here.

Anyway, that was an absolutely terrible episode and I'm someone who has been pretty laid back about the shows quality ever since it started. The only good thing (well...awesome thing) was swashbuckling pirate warrior Euron loving poo poo up.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I wonder what's worse. That the only two characters in the show that got to grow, improve and also effectively use their army instead of constantly losing parts of it are both tactically inexperienced women, or that one of those women is a wolf.

Amazing plan about Casterly Rock by the way. Given that Tywin already admitted that there is not a single gold mine working anymore for years, House Lannister to be basically dead except for two siblings that sleep with each other plus one son that switched sides, I am certain that this crappy city in the west will so turn this war around.

At least they re-invented that one weapon that already killed one dragon 300 years ago, without even stopping the conquest itself.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The book Dorne plotline was one I really enjoyed, but considering how they managed to strip every single good moment and character from that arc I was pretty happy to see it end. The shows take on Dorne has been terrible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GaussianCopula posted:

she is bad.

she's in the trash han solo movie lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Emilia hasn't been THAT bad this season. Her general woodenness sort of works in her favor at this point, it makes the character seem like someone who has actually got a flat affect because she fulfilled her life's ambition and found it to be deeply unsatisfying. She was way worse for the last couple of seasons where she struggles to display any emotion while her kingdom, rule, and life are disintegrating.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Nobnob posted:

I wonder what's worse. That the only two characters in the show that got to grow, improve and also effectively use their army instead of constantly losing parts of it are both tactically inexperienced women, or that one of those women is a wolf.

I'm trying to think of who you are talking about and I can't. The little Mormont girl?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

kater posted:

I'm trying to think of who you are talking about and I can't. The little Mormont girl?

While she is quite awesome for a child of her age, I think her sigil is a bear, isn't it?
Either way, I was joking about Nymeria and her success in founding such a pack over the past seven seasons.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Dany is the GOT character I probably like the least and dreaded all the episodes that lingered on her and I assumed Clarke was just a horrible actress. But I'm with the other poster who liked her in Terminator. Shes a good actress playing a crap character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lyanna Mormont was cool at first but now she's just real bad fan service that gets people to tweet about how progressive GOT is

• Locked thread