Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
Maybe I wasn't paying attention during some episode but people keep referring to this new drug that is spreading across Twin Peaks.

When was this introduced because I don't remember this coming up at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bobby or someone mentions "Chinese designer drugs" in an early episode, but I haven't caught any references since then.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

Aaah, guess I need to rewatch some earlier eps.

Also to clarify when I said "people" I meant people in this thread :D

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
IIRC sheriff Truman gets a call about another overdose and makes a comment about it in one of the earlier episodes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No Mods No Masters posted:

There were many things to love about this episode, but I've decided upon deep reflection that my favorite of all is the van flute

I love this show so goddamn much. :allears:

Dougie becoming best friends with the Mitchums was great too, hell it was all great. loving Albert hauling Gordon back from disappearing into a portal to another dimension like a parent with their toddler too, plus the way Gordon later just remarks,"Oh now I remember, I saw them. A group of bearded men in a room!" and then just leaves it at that.

I love you, Twin Peaks, I'm so glad you're in my life.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

Yeah the latest episode has had definitely my two favorite Cole lines so far of all of Twin Peaks.

Matthew Lillard missing the top of his head
"HE'S DEAD!"

"DIRTY BEARDED MEN. IN A ROOM."

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

David Lynch yelling a mundane literal description of his own surrealistic imagery is def a good meta moment.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Section 9 posted:

I am thinking that Norma may have been more of a role-model in Becky's life than Shelly or Bobby. In the diner, when Shelly starts crying, Norma seems to make eye contact with Becky, give her a slight nod, and then Becky suddenly starts apologizing to Shelly and stuff.

Edit: Rewatching, Shelly first calls Norma after Becky runs off with her car and asks "What do I do?" Seems like Shelly has been leaning on Norma pretty hard for "how do I actually deal with things in my life?"

Yeah, she's always leaned on Norma. Let's not forget Norma was a lot like her when she was younger, too, but unlike Shelly she's grown more as a person since then.

Shelly hasn't changed, and I kind of love it. She and Bobby ending up happily ever after would be cute, but it wouldn't make sense imho. 25 years later, divorced with a kid is perfect for them. It's no wonder Becky ended up so much like her, too, if Shelly still has bad habits and even worse taste in men.

After this episode, I've come to the conclusion Norma silently watching drama unfold in the diner is my favourite recurring thing thus far.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

esperterra posted:

After this episode, I've come to the conclusion Norma silently watching drama unfold in the diner is my favourite recurring thing thus far.

It is, but it also makes me worried about Big Ed and how he's going to be involved. I think the most heartbreaking thing of the final episode of Season 2 was when Nadine came out of her delusion just in time to ruin Ed and Norma finally getting to be the happy couple they always wanted to be. They were the two most honest and wholesome people in all of Twin Peaks who really deserved things to work out for them in a just world.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jerusalem posted:

Dougie becoming best friends with the Mitchums was great too, hell it was all great. loving Albert hauling Gordon back from disappearing into a portal to another dimension like a parent with their toddler too, plus the way Gordon later just remarks,"Oh now I remember, I saw them. A group of bearded men in a room!" and then just leaves it at that.

When Gordon totally disappeared for a few frames I gasped out loud. Thank god Albert was there to save our poor helpless old man.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'm curious how the Big Ed/Nadine/Norma thing played out. On one hand Ed and Nadine do love eachother in their way, and made a committment. In the other you have Norma and Ed being two great people very much in love, tho it's shaky whether that was true love or just a nostalgic love from their youth, when poo poo was simpler. And looming in the background is the fact that while Norma has grown past her more Shelly-esque run with a bad boy, she's still stepping in on an unavailable man's marriage. Still a streak of bad decisions.

I love Norma, ok???

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Hey Sheriff wanna see my new car!?! :haw:"

I don't even know who that guy is but he's the best.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Jerusalem posted:

I do sort of want to see his car. This is Lynch. It may or may not be Checkov's car.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

FauxLeather posted:

Bearded men in a room!

I'm enjoying how unclear it is of exactly how much of the otherworld the FBI is already aware of. The nuke and the framed picture of corn on the cob in Gordon's office is fairly suspect. They didn't get too hung up on the fact that a black hole suddenly opened about 15-20 feet from the fence or that Gordon started to vanish.

yeah. albert's always expressed outward scepticism but he seems highly unfazed. tammy has seemed sceptical quite often, too, but hasn't reacted to the latest weirdness much.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Jerusalem posted:

It's Elijah Wood. That's all I know.
And the guy who leads Dougie around with coffee is Daniel Radcliffe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

David Lynch yelling a mundane literal description of his own surrealistic imagery is def a good meta moment.

I'm gonna pretend that's how he does all his pitches for film and television, just walks into a room and starts shouting, then leaves with a wheelbarrow full of money.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Jerusalem posted:

I'm gonna pretend that's how he does all his pitches for film and television, just walks into a room and starts shouting, then leaves with a wheelbarrow full of money.

If he walked out of all those yelling sessions with a wheelbarrow full of money, the film world would be so much richer for it. If there is one person in the world who would not just waste a bunch of studio money when given the chance....well we're watching it right now.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Cooper is Cooper in the last few episodes but he has to carry around a trash bag filled with fried cherry pies and gorge upon them to stay as Cooper

Also coffee in a CamelBak or something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cooper wearing one of those sporting event gravity drink hats but it's full of coffee.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Cooper has one of those carrot on a stick things in front of him but it's red shoes

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That was a GREAT episode. I glanced at the AV Club review and I'm sort of appalled that they only gave it a B. To me, this is one of the most perfect episodes we've had this season. I'd put it up there next to Episode 8 as the two best episodes of the season; the best "normal" ep (11) and the best episode overall (8). I think we can mostly agree it was a cut above episodes 9 and 10, at least.

It's funny - I know it's been a good episode of Twin Peaks when it checks these three boxes:

-Makes me burst out laughing uncontrollably at least once (HE'S DEAD!)

-Utterly confounds the hell out of me at least once (The Vortex)

-Makes me feel frightened and extremely uneasy at least once (Becky on a rampage with Shelley on the windshield, the woman crawling out of the forest)

I know it's going to be a GREAT episode when it checks all of those three boxes within the first 10 or 15 minutes, like I noted above. Then there were more funny scenes, more confounding scenes, and more frightening scenes, and it just sort of built up. Just a totally far-out episode that never for a second felt like it was dragging its heels.

The scene with Bobby after the gunshot - everything from the way the family was dealing with it, to the near-catatonia of the kid, to the constant honking, and climaxing with that horrifying vomit scene... Wow. It really reminded me of the scene where Richard robbed his grandmother - really upsetting things are happening in the foreground, while a loud and unsettling or aggressive noise repeats ENDLESSLY in the background. It's a really effective combination to sort of barrage the viewer.

I honestly think this is probably the most well-paced episode we've had thus far, which is actually impressive because Lynch is not exactly known for viewer-friendly pacing in his work - yet he worked it like a master, here! I do not think there was a single moment where I wasn't totally engaged with what was happening on-screen. For the VERY FIRST TIME all season when I saw "Starring Kyle Maclachlan" appear on the screen, I nearly shouted indignantly at the TV screen, "Wait, that's IT?!" And this was actually a fairly long episode, nearly a full hour.

I can't even begin to catalogue all the moments. And there was so, SO much weirdness from Diane that I'm not sure where to begin there, either. So many things I liked.

Expect several posts consisting of many expansive paragraphs this week from me. Fire = Electricity and a bunch of other stuff from Hawk's map are already swirling around my brain, loosening the screws even further :downs:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 24, 2017

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

steakmancer posted:

Also Red is a good character and I'm confident him and Shelley will work out
He seems like a good guy, does magic tricks, and was Bill Pullman in another life.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just gonna chime in again to say how great it is that in barely 15 minutes we go from:

Mitchums: Let's kill Dougie! :toughguy:

to

Mitchums: We love Dougie he is our best friend! :neckbeard:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Belushi Mitchum ought to be in a neck brace from the speed of the whiplash he got going from "man I just can't wait to kill him" to "no we CAN'T KILL HIM"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Just gonna chime in again to say how great it is that in barely 15 minutes we go from:

Mitchums: Let's kill Dougie! :toughguy:

to

Mitchums: We love Dougie he is our best friend! :neckbeard:

That knee wobbling is seriously the best acting I've ever seen from the Bellush

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope Bobby can help his daughter. I'm just so glad he became a good guy who would make his dad proud.

Also the looks on his and his daughter's faces when Shelly just ran out of the dinner were great.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

esperterra posted:

Shelly hasn't changed, and I kind of love it. She and Bobby ending up happily ever after would be cute, but it wouldn't make sense imho. 25 years later, divorced with a kid is perfect for them. It's no wonder Becky ended up so much like her, too, if Shelly still has bad habits and even worse taste in men.

For whatever reason at the time, I noticed her last name in the credits is still "Shelly Briggs". Now we wait and see if Lynch will take time to elaborate on the separation/pending divorce or not in the remaining episodes.

Also Bobby grew up and became a stable person. Immediately ruining their romance... oops.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
Man, Dougie isn't what I wanted from New Twin Peaks, and it's not something I could've ever imagined even in my wildest dreams, but it's becoming one of my favorite stories ever. I love that even in a barely-functioning child-like fugue state, Coop is such an embodiment of pure goodness that he enriches the lives of everyone he comes into contact with. He can't NOT solve crimes and save lives. Subverting and resolving the conflict in this episode by just loving cherry pie so drat much was loving amazing.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Also, I loved Detective Mackley's reaction to Shaggy's head exploding. That guy has been so incredibly stoic this entire time, it was great to see him just lose his poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cromulent posted:

Also, I loved Detective Mackley's reaction to Shaggy's head exploding. That guy has been so incredibly stoic this entire time, it was great to see him just lose his poo poo.

It mirrored my own pretty well tbqh

CJacobs posted:

Solid "Darkness Hobo" Snake

edit: JESUS FUCKIN HELL CHRIST

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
I haven't seen it mentioned, but the impression I get is that Shelly is under some kind of paranormal influence by the crack magician. She's extremely emotional about her daughter's well being--a great performance by Amick--and then this rear end in a top hat appears in the window at it's like a switch is flipped. This is a woman so concerned about her daughter that she rode a car hood for the better part of the length of a football field and she fucks right off when this guy shows his goofy mug. My money's on the fact that Harry Heroindini took a shine to the local waitress and cast a spell on her.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

MTV Crib Death posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned, but the impression I get is that Shelly is under some kind of paranormal influence by the crack magician. She's extremely emotional about her daughter's well being--a great performance by Amick--and then this rear end in a top hat appears in the window at it's like a switch is flipped. This is a woman so concerned about her daughter that she rode a car hood for the better part of the length of a football field and she fucks right off when this guy shows his goofy mug. My money's on the fact that Harry Heroindini took a shine to the local waitress and cast a spell on her.

I think it's more that while everybody else has gotten old as gently caress, Shelley still looks great but is cursed with having the heart of an idiot 20 year old forever.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

kaworu posted:

That was a GREAT episode. I glanced at the AV Club review and I'm sort of appalled that they only gave it a B. To me, this is one of the most perfect episodes we've had this season. I'd put it up there next to Episode 8 as the two best episodes of the season; the best "normal" ep (11) and the best episode overall (8). I think we can mostly agree it was a cut above episodes 9 and 10, at least.

The AV club reviewer has been driving me up the wall all season, even when she was "liking" the show. The lady might as well be doing a parody of lovely AV club reviews: watch episode, take screenshots of random moments, half-assedly summarize the plot, complain about any observed instances of exposition, make up a theme for the episode and spew a few paragraphs of bullshit about it, assign random score between A and B-, jam it all together as fast as possible and let those sweet clicks roll in

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 24, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MTV Crib Death posted:

Harry Heroindini

Holy poo poo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
As soon as I saw Metal Gear Hobo I knew shaggy was done

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Section 9 posted:

They were the two most honest and wholesome people in all of Twin Peaks who really deserved things to work out for them in a just world.
I like both Ed and Norma, but they were both cheating on their spouses. I don't know that I'd call having an affair a qualify of honest and wholesome people.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

kaworu posted:

The scene with Bobby after the gunshot - everything from the way the family was dealing with it, to the near-catatonia of the kid, to the constant honking, and climaxing with that horrifying vomit scene... Wow. It really reminded me of the scene where Richard robbed his grandmother - really upsetting things are happening in the foreground, while a loud and unsettling or aggressive noise repeats ENDLESSLY in the background. It's a really effective combination to sort of barrage the viewer.

i thought it was fucken hilarious

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Looked like that girl in the car had been poisoned by her constituents and had come down with a bit of the consumption

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

General Dog posted:

Was that Badalamenti playing the piano?

According to the credits, he wrote and performed that song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

zelah posted:

I like both Ed and Norma, but they were both cheating on their spouses. I don't know that I'd call having an affair a qualify of honest and wholesome people.

To be fair to Norma, her spouse was in prison and is a murderer