Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ammanas posted:

Motion sickness? Flight, space flight and driving seem like such great opportunities in VR but super easy way to throw up

He got really dizzy. Driving games don't make me dizzy. The first couple days going in reverse felt funny but it's normal now. I did start with slow cars though instead of starting with an open top car that goes 200 miles an hour on a track with a lot of corners like I started him out on. The only time I felt like I was dizzy and had to stop was when I tried an "experience" called face your fears. Some airplanes shoot off the face of a building I'm standing in and some mech comes in and picks me up and dangles me around. The motion i saw didn't match up with what I was feeling and there was no vehicle cockpit as a frame of reference so i pretty much quit and uninstalled it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The robot demo for the Touch is definitely a great way to try out VR. It's pretty simple, there's lots of cool toys to play with, and pretty much tells you how to do everything. The one for SteamVR is also pretty good for vive. Just don't be an rear end in a top hat like some people have and throw your friends and family into something terrifying that causes them to sprint into a wall, or through a big window, or dislocate their knee.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KakerMix posted:

I don't get that at all, at least not to the degree you see. Still though I am looking forward to Valve's Knuckle controllers which should be the next level above Touch.

I promise you will. Promise HUUUUGE promise. They feel so much like using your hands its not weird doing grasping motions and poo poo. Like, from moment one it just "Makes sense".

If the knuckles are even 1/2 as good your mind is going to explode.

Now I wont say the vive controllers are bad in general, They feel fine for a lot of gun games, and stuff. Just for the price difference? Theres no reason right now to buy a vive. They need to drop the price drastically and get those knuckles going.

I do really like the vives tracking system better on principle, the whole usb cables across my room is annoying af.

Sure a god drat shame these companies cant just combine forces for the good of VR so we dont have to have these separate markets of poo poo.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 24, 2017

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Just finished Lone Echo. Ended up going through it in three "sittings". Super impressed! Good humour, story and the gameplay was fun. Jeremy from Tested called VR an "empathy engine" and I can totally see that. Some of the situations near the end felt stressful and you worried for the characters you were interacting with. I hope they release more. I think they could do a lot with some time trial type scenarios too. Maybe treat it like an extension of the tutorial modules.

On another note, the Oculus store needs to give you a discount on bundles that you own certain games from. The "Explore Pack" is 40 bucks CAD but I own two of the games and the remaining Everest VR is 17 bucks on it's own. What the hell.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 24, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Old Story posted:

Just ordered a Rift because of the sale bundle. I have never tried VR. Is there a go-to tech demo to show people new to VR?

Also how's that Star Trek game

After you setup the touch controllers it will dump you into a demo thats probably the best intro to show new people. After its done you can find it in the library listed as "first contact" as well as "first contact + touch tutorial" (the latter also includes the brief "how to use touch" lesson before dropping you into the robot demo). Its one of the best demos for new people, the other, well here let me quote a post I made about this:

Tom Guycot posted:

...listing only 100% Free stuff, I'll give you this sort of order:

The Lab is fantastic and free with several minigames that show off everything from photogrammetry to a mini wave shooter.

Dead and Buried is a free shooter with a hoard mode, shooting gallary and some vs modes. Its simply done, theres no locomotion and its easy to get into so it makes another nice stepping stone (I still think its fun for multiplayer shootouts now just because of how quick and immediate it jumps into the fight).

Budget Cuts It's a very short demo, but cute and well done to get you used to a lot of teleporting, one of the (so far) really standard modes of locomotion.

After all that, you can combine together gunplay and lots of teleporting with Robo Recall. Everyone gushes about it for a good reason, they nailed all the little details, from the simple grabbing robbots and bullets, to hidden features like cocking the shotgun for multishot, to pointless things like pulling back the slide on your pistols that does nothing. Its just polished to a brilliant shine.

If you're getting it in a few days Echo Arena and Lone Echo should be out. Everyones chatted about it enough but the multiplayer Echo Arena is free and has probably the most brilliant locomotion yet in VR. Honestly it works so well I wouldn't be surprised to see zero G space games pop up all over in the next few years like doom clones it feels so good.

Rec Room is free, fun, and the quest modes, golden trophy and jumbotron are some of the best times I've had in VR when playing with friends.

If you're interested in art stuff at all, Medium and Quill come free with it. Medium is a sculpting zbrush type program, and quill is the vr drawing equivalent. if you've played tiltbrush, thats what quill is like, though quill is a bit more powerful and utilitarian functioning since it was originally designed as an internal tool for building the "Dear Angelica" short film.

Speaking of which, the short films Henry, Lost, Dear Angelica, Allumette are some basic passive story experiences, worth checking out they're all only like 5 or so minute long short films.

If you want to chill out and watch movies, or hang out with other people, Big Screen is a virtual desktop program with everything from outdoor scenes to movie theaters, and its multiplayer so you can sit around with 3 other folks and watch movies together, have a virtual lan party, sit on the couch while someones playing nintendo like you're kids, whatever. Theres a big update coming in like a week which should make it a lot better.

I could keep goin, i haven't even mentioned free stuff like Portal Stories (free if you own portal 2), Accounting VR, Lucky's Tale, Mission ISS, Waltz of the Wizard, Herobound, Farlands, Dragon Front, Altspace, Surgeon Simulator VR: Meet the Medic, Compound, DCS, War Thunder and whatever other dozens I'm forgetting or don't know about. I'd start somewhere in the top order though, the tutorial, the lab, D&B, etc etc.

EbolaIvory posted:

They need to drop the price drastically and get those knuckles going.

My personal theory is during october... right around oculus connect, hint hint, HTC is going to announce a price drop to 600, and maybe even include the DAS. This would give the rift only a $100 dollar advantage in price, making it not only more competitive on price with the rift, but also the coming hoards of microsoft MR headsets as well as an advantage on the LG headset when that hits. I feel like they'll also open pre orders for knuckles at that time and maybe include some new valve game, like a 'Lab part 2' or something with them that would otherwise cost money.

I base this off nothing other than it sounds like a good idea :v: Though I did see the dev of 'climbey' who has some knuckles talking about how he didn't think they'd be out for another year based on some conversations he had with other people which, god I really hope isn't the case. The sooner those things come out, the sooner 1) revive touch emulation is perfect (no more trying to press virtual buttons and a thumbstick with the trackpad) and more importantly 2) SteamVR titles will start being developed around hands and we'll see the days of floating sticks that velcro to objects start to fade.

EDIT:

DrBox posted:

Just finished Lone Echo. Ended up going through it in three "sittings". Super impressed! Good humour, story and the gameplay was fun. Jeremy from Tested called VR an "empathy engine" and I can totally see that. Some of the situations near the end felt stressful and you worried for the characters you were interacting with.

Yeah! Part of it was never being sure if the story and experience was canned, or if there were multiple endings based on what you do. I thought obduction was a set thing until the very end when I found out I hosed up and got a bad ending. So, because of that added stress of not being sure what would happen or how much time I had, I really really really didn't want Olivia to die. That last bit of scrambling to eliminate the spores so the oxygen could go on had me stressed and scrambling more than any game I can remember. When it came to her flat lining I was fumbling about so bad with the defibrillator that I couldn't even get it attached until I made myself try to calm down and look at the connector carefully to see how it would attach. It really felt like I was in a crisis situation! Fantastic stuff.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 24, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm about ready to toss this loving Vive through a window. I used the thing for months without an issue, but for the last few weeks I've been getting tracking errors where the display will stutter when moving my head. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I could find, like making sure the firmware was up to date, cleaning and reinstalling NVidia drivers (and reverting to a previous version), hiding all reflective surfaces in the room, cleaning and re-positioning the base stations, uninstalling SteamVR and reinstalling (and using the beta version), switching to another USB 3.0 port, closing unnecessary active programs, and turning off all the fancy SteamVR settings. Is there anything else I can do?

I have a 1080 Ti and 7700k, so the specs aren't the issue.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
sounds like a software thing to me. are you running flux or any other things in the background?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I had similar issues after installing something that put a really beefy background process on my machine, check your task manager and startup stuff if you haven't. It doesn't sound like hardware to me either

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bhodi posted:

sounds like a software thing to me. are you running flux or any other things in the background?

There's probably more stuff I could shut off so I'll give it a shot.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This Hyperkin Freestep VR Cable Management System for HTC Vive/ PS VR/ Oculus Rift (6-Set) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073P7GJNP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_VF6t2IeRlwTd2 is absolutely game changing, you need a 6 foot cable for both hDMi and USB 3.0 but not having to worry about tripping over a cable, spinning in place forever feels really liberating. I've been playing Lone Echo and fixing up a space station feels super relaxing. That and the ProTube have convinced me VR is absolutely the future of games, it's a level of intimacy I've never felt before in games.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Oh man that's great. Thanks for the link, saved me getting a bunch of dog leashes lol. Anybody found a good 2-in-1 cable or cheap cables that are super thin? Mine are slightly different length and pretty thick and heavy.

moosecow333 posted:

Any tips on how I could reduce the 'pit in your stomach' feeling, or is this just a case of not having my VR Legs yet?

Swing your arms and step in place to mime walking. You'd be amazed how much any physical cue of "movement" to your brain helps. Also for the initial break-in phase, take liberal breaks, water, and ginger/Meclizine(nondrowsy dramamine)

EbolaIvory posted:

Part getting your VR legs, Part some poo poo will just do that.

Gonna say it's just getting your VR legs. My nausea used to be so bad I almost quit VR, now my VR legs are at the point that straight up nothing makes me queasy now. I think it's like when early FPSes first came out, those made (and still make! you'd be surprised by normies) people queasy too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ammanas posted:

Motion sickness? Flight, space flight and driving seem like such great opportunities in VR but super easy way to throw up

Nah cockpit games are basically as comfortable as they come. I mean old timers aren't great for VR no matter the application.

But if you can't handle a racing app you're not going to be able to handle any kind of artificial locomotion whatsoever. Flight, space flight and driving are as comfortable as they come. The only exception is "fixed standing" games like Job Sim.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Driving is the hardest of the cockpit types at least, because you're so close to the environment the relative velocity is much more apparent. In a space game you basically don't feel anything unless you're doing a super close fly by of a space station or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He'd probably be fine if he didn't start out in an F1 car.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
PSA - If you haven't tried H3VR (Hotdogs Horseshoes & Hand grenades), it's amazing. I got it awhile ago and only tried one of the shooting ranges, thought it was only kinda neat, and shelved it. I recently decided to give it another whirl and dive into some of the other modes, and it's quickly become the killer app for me (I've pit in over 10 hours in just the past couple weeks, which is a TON for me).

The guns are pretty much all awesome - they're all set up as realistically as I've ever seen. Each one has it's own, accurate loading procedure, and you even slide on and set attachments manually.

M.E.A.T.S. mode is an awesome, multiple category shooting gallery with some really fun stuff - my favorites are the quick draws and the gunkata trainers. This mode has a whole currency/unlockable system too.

Gun-nasium is kinda like Climby with target shooting, where you pull yourself through the environment and push buttons and shoot targets.

Meat Grinder is a horror rogue-like that's pretty loving intense and well produced.

Wurstworld is the latest addition - a Westworld themed mode with puzzles, bandit hunting, extreme horseshoes, and lots of secrets to find; this mode honestly could be a standalone game and be worth the package price.

That's not even half of the modes. Buy this game.

edit - I forgot to even mention hand grenade skeeball!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

iceaim posted:

Explain how a analog controller is less optimal than a joystick in the simulator mode. Also does the game prevent you from using mouse and keyboard as well as whipping the camera around behind you when using VR?
It's mostly a matter of precision. While you absolutely can fly in simulator mode with a controller, flying well is much more difficult. Things that are trivial on even a $30 stick like holding a very slight amount of roll to offset engine torque because your plane doesn't have aileron or rudder trim are suddenly very much non-trivial on a controller where you're dealing with comparatively tiny sticks and relatively large deadzones. Some people get pretty good at it, but that's the exception rather than the rule. You can still use m/kb to fly in arcade/realistic in VR, and for the vast majority of people it's preferable to a stick just due to how the flight model and controls work there, but it's also very easy to lose your cursor in VR which is not great.

And yes, in arcade and realistic modes, the camera is locked to your head and follows the plane (rather than the mouse cursor in not-VR). You cannot use the mouse to spin the camera around in VR like you can in not-VR (in fact, the button used for doing so will just recenter your view in VR). Arcade and realistic are typically flown from third person for greater situational awareness (something that is hugely important), and I don't know about you, but my neck has limits to how far and how quickly it can turn. This isn't really an issue in sim, because sim forces everyone into the first person cockpit view where having your head control the view (either with a VR headset or something like TrackIR) is actually preferable and rearward visibility is often limited because there's a whole plane in the way.

I like War Thunder quite a bit, but as an actual game it's probably best played outside of VR for the most part.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I had similar issues after installing something that put a really beefy background process on my machine, check your task manager and startup stuff if you haven't. It doesn't sound like hardware to me either

Nope :(

I went through and updated all the drivers I could and ran the system as stripped down as I could make it. I still get stuttering ingame. Not a constant stutter, but a small skip that happens every second or two as I'm moving my head. I don't see any issues with moving the controllers around so it can't be a tracking issue, I guess.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Buca di Bepis posted:

I went through and updated all the drivers I could and ran the system as stripped down as I could make it. I still get stuttering ingame. Not a constant stutter, but a small skip that happens every second or two as I'm moving my head. I don't see any issues with moving the controllers around so it can't be a tracking issue, I guess.

Did you double check the wires going into the hmd are nice and tight? Are your lighthouses mounted really solidly?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Buca di Bepis posted:

Do you have OpenVR Advanced Settings installed? It might be worth playing around with the different settings for async reprojection, interleave reprojection, always on reprojection and seeing if changing any of that around effects things?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Poz posted:

My Vive stopped tracking today. I went through all the common troubleshooting and contacted support. After confirming I had done everything they would advise they said that because I was two months over warranty it would be $300 to repair. After repeatedly requesting to speak to a customer service manager over the phone and being told that was impossible, they eventually agreed to escalate and request warranty extension. Based on how it's gone so far I'm not hopeful.

So, I guess my question is, how is everyone enjoying those $400 Oculus Rifts?

try contacting the vive care twitter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Do you have OpenVR Advanced Settings installed? It might be worth playing around with the different settings for async reprojection, interleave reprojection, always on reprojection and seeing if changing any of that around effects things?

That's one thing I installed but didn't check out. I think I may have fixed the problem, though, by reverting to an even older set of Nvidia drivers from May.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Zsinjeh posted:

Ginger is an old remedy for motion sickness and in the health-obsessed world today there should be lots of Ginger shot type beverages you can find in the store. In my anecdotal testing, and according to Mythbusters, it seems to work. I usually take a shot before a vr session.

I bought a big bag of Chimes ginger chews to help with long Serious Sam sessions but now I just eat them because they taste really good.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

He'd probably be fine if he didn't start out in an F1 car.

I did it on purpose. I don't like my father in law.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm starting to feel more and more like I got the shittier controllers with my Vive, people seem to love the 'grabbing' function on the Oculus Touch and I really dislike the trackpad on the vive for almost everything. (Not to mention that the 'click' function has failed on my controllers twice by now)

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Taintrunner posted:

This Hyperkin Freestep VR Cable Management System for HTC Vive/ PS VR/ Oculus Rift (6-Set) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073P7GJNP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_VF6t2IeRlwTd2 is absolutely game changing, you need a 6 foot cable for both hDMi and USB 3.0 but not having to worry about tripping over a cable, spinning in place forever feels really liberating. I've been playing Lone Echo and fixing up a space station feels super relaxing. That and the ProTube have convinced me VR is absolutely the future of games, it's a level of intimacy I've never felt before in games.

I was playing Echo Arena last tonight talking to someone who was playing with one of these, (or something like it), and he yelled "Oh poo poo!, I've ripped it off the wall!"

It may have been installed incorrectly or otherwise had something wrong with it however, as he was saying beforehand that it wasn't retracting as smoothly as he'd like it too and he was worried about it.

That's the second disaster I've indirectly experienced in Echo Arena. The other day I heard glass smash over someone's mic, and they exclaimed "oh poo poo, I broke a lamp!... Gotta be careful there's Glass everywhere"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JohnnySmitch posted:

PSA - If you haven't tried H3VR (Hotdogs Horseshoes & Hand grenades), it's amazing. I got it awhile ago and only tried one of the shooting ranges, thought it was only kinda neat, and shelved it. I recently decided to give it another whirl and dive into some of the other modes, and it's quickly become the killer app for me (I've pit in over 10 hours in just the past couple weeks, which is a TON for me).

The guns are pretty much all awesome - they're all set up as realistically as I've ever seen. Each one has it's own, accurate loading procedure, and you even slide on and set attachments manually.

M.E.A.T.S. mode is an awesome, multiple category shooting gallery with some really fun stuff - my favorites are the quick draws and the gunkata trainers. This mode has a whole currency/unlockable system too.

Gun-nasium is kinda like Climby with target shooting, where you pull yourself through the environment and push buttons and shoot targets.

Meat Grinder is a horror rogue-like that's pretty loving intense and well produced.

Wurstworld is the latest addition - a Westworld themed mode with puzzles, bandit hunting, extreme horseshoes, and lots of secrets to find; this mode honestly could be a standalone game and be worth the package price.

That's not even half of the modes. Buy this game.

edit - I forgot to even mention hand grenade skeeball!

https://youtu.be/uwg6RTjCH7g

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I feel like an antisocial bastard when I read these threads. I tend to just play stuff like IronWolf and QuiVR with my friends (3 of us have vives) and not really play matchmaking games (especially in VR).

It feels weird, the times I've played with randoms in VR it feels a lot more "personal" since you can see their height and percise movements. For some bizzare reason it feels threatening to me.

The one time I played TheWave I did the tutorial, thought it was pretty cool, spawned into the lobby and saw the group of people all chatting away then noped out and never played since. :tinfoil:

Am I broken? :negative:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

kaffo posted:

I feel like an antisocial bastard when I read these threads. I tend to just play stuff like IronWolf and QuiVR with my friends (3 of us have vives) and not really play matchmaking games (especially in VR).

It feels weird, the times I've played with randoms in VR it feels a lot more "personal" since you can see their height and percise movements. For some bizzare reason it feels threatening to me.

The one time I played TheWave I did the tutorial, thought it was pretty cool, spawned into the lobby and saw the group of people all chatting away then noped out and never played since. :tinfoil:

Looks like you have some form of social anxiety. You should try and use VR to get over it, I've heard from a lot of people that VR actually helped them get out of their shell and interact more with strangers.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

kaffo posted:

Come to the show on Wednesday night and I'll hold your hand the whole time. Also watch N-Fold at least once from start to finish it is loving incredible.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

SEKCobra posted:

Looks like you have some form of social anxiety. You should try and use VR to get over it, I've heard from a lot of people that VR actually helped them get out of their shell and interact more with strangers.

Yeah, maybe I should force myself to do it for the greater good. I'm totally fine with like 1/2 total strangers... more than that and I panic. People are ickky...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

kaffo posted:

Yeah, maybe I should force myself to do it for the greater good. I'm totally fine with like 1/2 total strangers... more than that and I panic. People are ickky...

Well you shouldn't force yourself to do anything, maybe just ease yourself into 'crowded' situations with VR. Knowing you can leave the crowd behind at any moment should help a bit. Rec Room lobbies are not that densely populated, maybe go into some of those.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

kaffo posted:

You should try going to random bigscreen rooms. Theres a max of 4 people per room, so you'll never have a crowd. It's also quite casual, people are usually just playing a game or watching a movie and chatting, and tomorrow they should be releasing their big update to fix all the performance issues from streaming.

Echo Arena is also free and has the most fun, best lobby I've seen in a game, though you can have more than a few people in there. Still its so fun to casually just float around chilling out in space, toss around disks etc. Once party support is added as well, you could chill in that lobby with your VR friends on top of the strangers so its not so stressful as you goof off in zero G (and play some rounds of echo arena with your friends because its amaaaaaazing).

The best part about VR though is, you can end the process from task manager at any second while you're in the middle of talking and people will just think you got disconnected. :v: An instant and easy out any time you're feeling anxious!

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

SEKCobra posted:

This is one of those things that really stand out for me lately and have been mentioning more during talks. When Bridge Crew came out, I was in an incredibly busy work schedule where I was just working and coding all day, barely interacting with people. In the evening, part of the reason why I wanted to play Bridge Crew was to sit back, relax and just play pretend Star Trek with other, random people who are also into it.

I definitely noticed that it did feed into some emotional need of wanting to interact with people. It's pretty amazing.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

FTFY. Also the video that convinced me to buy it.

H3VR hasn't gotten old for me at all. The simple fact that not only is Anton adding more guns and scenarios, but he keeps playing around with different things to work VR, like locomotion options and physics (one of the big updates a while ago was adding different gravity options, including zero-G)

Flip cocking lever actions are amazing too. Another thing he keeps experimenting with- how to replicate actual firearm mechanics. The AR bolt-release slap, the HK slap (sadly still not on the Steyr AUG) decocking semi-auto's, single-action revolvers, reloading with clips, AK Iraqi reloads, all sorts of fun things that you probably don't want to do with a live firearm in your house. Exemplified by the fact that yes, the Single Action Army does not have a drop safety and will discharge if dropped or bashed against something. It's the little things that sell it.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

SEKCobra posted:

Well you shouldn't force yourself to do anything, maybe just ease yourself into 'crowded' situations with VR. Knowing you can leave the crowd behind at any moment should help a bit. Rec Room lobbies are not that densely populated, maybe go into some of those.

Tom Guycot posted:

You should try going to random bigscreen rooms. Theres a max of 4 people per room, so you'll never have a crowd. It's also quite casual, people are usually just playing a game or watching a movie and chatting, and tomorrow they should be releasing their big update to fix all the performance issues from streaming.

Echo Arena is also free and has the most fun, best lobby I've seen in a game, though you can have more than a few people in there. Still its so fun to casually just float around chilling out in space, toss around disks etc. Once party support is added as well, you could chill in that lobby with your VR friends on top of the strangers so its not so stressful as you goof off in zero G (and play some rounds of echo arena with your friends because its amaaaaaazing).

The best part about VR though is, you can end the process from task manager at any second while you're in the middle of talking and people will just think you got disconnected. :v: An instant and easy out any time you're feeling anxious!

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated! If I've got some spare time I'll go out my way to chat to some strangers on the internet.
I'd love to play Echo Arena, but isn't it only avaliable through the Oculus store?
While I'm totally fine using Revive and even buying poo poo there, the Oculus software is a pain in the rear end. I think I tried to install it and it would only install on C, used up too much disk space so I have to remove it :colbert:
(Never mind having to go DNS blackhole all the "analytics" it does, even when the store isn't open)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

kaffo posted:

Thanks for the advice, it's appreciated! If I've got some spare time I'll go out my way to chat to some strangers on the internet.
I'd love to play Echo Arena, but isn't it only avaliable through the Oculus store?
While I'm totally fine using Revive and even buying poo poo there, the Oculus software is a pain in the rear end. I think I tried to install it and it would only install on C, used up too much disk space so I have to remove it :colbert:
(Never mind having to go DNS blackhole all the "analytics" it does, even when the store isn't open)

Thats cool, if you do want to check it out though, while it does install to C, they changed it a while back so you can set the game install folder to wherever you want. Whats helpful in addition to that is to pick up the oculus tray tool. This helpful app does a lot of things from supersampling to CPUid spoofing, but a big thing you can do is set it to shut down the oculus service whenever you exit the tray tool, and to only start when you launch the tool. That way the services are only running when I'm actually using VR (though this means games won't auto update until I start it all up).

Also the latest version of revive has updates to swap the grip button and trigger so you can play lone echo more comfortably (you use the grip constantly, while the trigger only does punches in the echo arena multiplayer so swapping them makes a lot of sense for the vive controller). I believe you need openVR advanced settings to change revive settings, but their github page I'm sure has all the details.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Paingod556 posted:

Flip cocking lever actions are amazing too. Another thing he keeps experimenting with- how to replicate actual firearm mechanics. The AR bolt-release slap, the HK slap (sadly still not on the Steyr AUG) decocking semi-auto's, single-action revolvers, reloading with clips, AK Iraqi reloads, all sorts of fun things that you probably don't want to do with a live firearm in your house. Exemplified by the fact that yes, the Single Action Army does not have a drop safety and will discharge if dropped or bashed against something. It's the little things that sell it.

Yesterday I learned that if you fire a mini-gun you'd better be holding it with both hands.

And yeah, I finally to flip-cock a shotgun without risking blowing my arm off. I've wanted to do that since Ahnold in T2.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Flip-cocking owns, I need to steal his mechanic for my lovely canned-animation SteamVR Home gun.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly if I had a bunch of friends with VR I'd just play with them too, matchmaking is more out of necessity than anything.

Strangers get weird in VR. People get up in my grill in the Echo lobby and I'm not sure if they're purposefully trying to be a creep or if they don't realize it but it's uncomfortable. The possibility of harassment is something that I don't think these companies have spent enough time thinking about or addressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AndrewP posted:

Honestly if I had a bunch of friends with VR I'd just play with them too, matchmaking is more out of necessity than anything.

Strangers get weird in VR. People get up in my grill in the Echo lobby and I'm not sure if they're purposefully trying to be a creep or if they don't realize it but it's uncomfortable. The possibility of harassment is something that I don't think these companies have spent enough time thinking about or addressing.

Someone did but it doesn't seem to have taken off.