Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just realized the other day that Nintendo has some sort of partnership with McDonald's, resulting in always picking up a handful of Speedpass Things every time I'm either going there, or stopping at a nearby gas station to fill up.

I thought it was more than a little weird that a bunch of someone elses would be carrying around a 3DS at the times I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I regularly tuck my t-shirt into my pants.

but only if I'm wearing a jersey so that the t-shirt doesn't hang out below the bottom of the overwear

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Bringing up an old topic, but I just found out that in countries that use the solstices to define the seasons they use them to mark the START of the season. Why? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Surely the winter solstice, when the night is longest, should be the exact MIDDLE of winter? At the winter solstice, that hemisphere is getting the least amount of light in 24 hours it's ever going to get in that year, so it follows it should be as cold as it's going to get and about to start getting warmer. That would be the middle of winter, surely? Isn't midwinter meant to be the coldest, and midsummer the hottest?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes Dec 22nd is the coldest part of the year, surely. Weather and temperature are 100% to do with the amount of sunlight, to the day, with no thermal carryover.

Except when it's actually February.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hyperlynx posted:

Bringing up an old topic, but I just found out that in countries that use the solstices to define the seasons they use them to mark the START of the season. Why? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Surely the winter solstice, when the night is longest, should be the exact MIDDLE of winter? At the winter solstice, that hemisphere is getting the least amount of light in 24 hours it's ever going to get in that year, so it follows it should be as cold as it's going to get and about to start getting warmer. That would be the middle of winter, surely? Isn't midwinter meant to be the coldest, and midsummer the hottest?

are you a foreigner? how do they mark seasons in your country?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

It stays hot / cold for much longer after the solstice than before. I guess it might make more sense to have the seasons start with the months (because June to August is hottest and December to February coldest), but then the seasons would have different amounts of days and who would stand for that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

In Australia the seasons start on the first of the month. Dec-Feb is summer, Mar-May is autumn, Jun-Aug is winter and Sept-Nov is spring.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'm not a foreigner. You're a foreigner :colbert:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yes Dec 22nd is the coldest part of the year, surely. Weather and temperature are 100% to do with the amount of sunlight, to the day, with no thermal carryover.

Except when it's actually February.
Well, fair enough. Here, the hottest is usually February, which is the tail end of summer.

Okay, yes, there's a lot more to weather than just how much sun you're getting. But which end of the Earth is getting more sun is indeed the reason for seasons, and so it makes the most sense to me to use that.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

The movie "The China Syndrome" is not based on the book "The China Study."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tiggum posted:

In Australia the seasons start on the first of the month. Dec-Feb is summer, Mar-May is autumn, Jun-Aug is winter and Sept-Nov is spring.
This is one of the first bits of culture shock that really bugs me for some reason. UK TV license? Ok sure whatever. Siestas? Great idea. Stay and work until you're dead? Not my cup of tea but hey it's your conservative Island. Starting the seasons on the first of the month? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Jul 24, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Starting the months on the first? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

What.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What I find crazy is that Finnish is apparently the only existing language that uses the proper name for the 12th month of the year: yule month.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Typo. Fixed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerry Cotton posted:

What I find crazy is that Finnish is apparently the only existing language that uses the proper name for the 12th month of the year: yule month.

'December' is absolutely the wrong name for the 12th month of the year, it translates to "10th month". Julius frickin' Caesar decided to gently caress around with the Roman calendar which originally only had 10 months but instead of inventing a new 11th and 12th month he added two extra months at the start of the year which meant that pretty much all of the other month names were wrong. Quintilis (5th month) and Sextilis (6th month) would have become the new 7th and 8th months except Caesar decided to rename them after himself and his buddy Augustus.

And that's why the calendar that most of the world uses today is dumb and wrong and all mixed up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Suspenders are for fat people who can't make belts work properly.

If you're in good shape you don't need either with properly-fitting clothes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

sassassin posted:

If you're in good shape you don't need either with properly-fitting clothes.
This feels like the opposite cuz fat people can use the tension of their fat to keep pants up. :eng101:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cage posted:

This feels like the opposite cuz fat people can use the tension of their fat to keep pants up. :eng101:

If your belly button is the widest part of you no amount of tension is going to hold your jeans up.

But if you've got abs and a juicy rear end they're going nowhere.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

sassassin posted:

Wrong

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/how-did-the-belt-win-a-new-freakonomics-radio-episode/

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

sassassin posted:

If your belly button is the widest part of you no amount of tension is going to hold your jeans up.

But if you've got abs and a juicy rear end they're going nowhere.
After a certain amount of fatness some fat people will hike their pants up past their waist near the belly button because otherwise it means they'll have to wear their pants below the fold of fat. Option A forces you to buy bigger pants with no chance of asscrack, option B lets you "get away" with a smaller size but there is a chance of asscrack. This divides us fats.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'December' is absolutely the wrong name for the 12th month of the year, it translates to "10th month". Julius frickin' Caesar decided to gently caress around with the Roman calendar which originally only had 10 months but instead of inventing a new 11th and 12th month he added two extra months at the start of the year which meant that pretty much all of the other month names were wrong. Quintilis (5th month) and Sextilis (6th month) would have become the new 7th and 8th months except Caesar decided to rename them after himself and his buddy Augustus.

And that's why the calendar that most of the world uses today is dumb and wrong and all mixed up.

Today you get to learn about Roman calendars!

The calendar already had 12 months when our boy Julius got to it. The ten-month calendar was the traditional Roman calendar dating back at least to the founding of Rome; it started with March (Mensis Martius) and ended with December (Mensis December); each month alternated 30 and 31 days, with about 50 days of intercalary days at the end of the year (between Saturnalia and the beginning of March). "Intercalary" means what you think it does; they didn't have a month associated with them and were just sort of there. Moreover, the old Roman calendar called for a year of 360 days. This was not particularly clever of them.

When the last of the Tarquins was overthrown and the Roman Republic began, the Romans decided that the Greeks had a pretty good idea with their lunar calendar, so they borrowed it. The Greek calendar had 29.5-day lunar months and so alternated between 29 and 30 days per month; the year was 368 days long and required intercalary days every four years to get things back to where they were supposed to be. The Romans didn't want to get rid of their old calendar entirely, though, so they sort of haphazardly slapped 31-day months into the calendar, added two new months in at the new beginning of the year called Mensis Ianuarius and Mensis Februarius, and had a 23-day intercalary month right after them to keep things nice and adjusted.

This was MORE clever of them than the previous calendar had been, but still not particularly clever. Intercalary days are a pain in the rear end.

Also, those two new months? Added around 500 BCE, more than 400 years before our boy Julius was born.

46 BCE rolled around and Julius noticed that the calendar, although it was more accurate than the old calendar, had still drifted about eighty days off course, with the end of the calendar year happening at the beginning of autumn. So he said, "look, gently caress the Tarquins, gently caress the Greeks, this is stupid, let's fix it." His proposal added the missing 80-odd days to 46 BCE (making it 445 days long), and then standardized the lengths of the months to what we know today: alternating 30 and 31 days, with pairs of 31s at the middle and end of the year, and a 28-day February with an extra leap day every fourth year to keep things on track.

Incidentally, he had nothing to do with renaming the months. That was all the Senate, and in fact happened after he died; Quintilis was renamed Iulius in that month 44 BCE, in honor of our boy's birthday, and Sextilis was renamed Augustus in 8 BCE because according to the Senate, many of the important events of Augustus's reign had occurred in that month.

(Then, 1600 years later, Pope Gregory XIII decided to account for the year being just a sliver shorter than 365.25 days, and we got the modern Gregorian calendar.)

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
When I was a child I spent most of my summers with my Italian grandparents. Every Saturday morning, my Nonno (grandpa) would take me to a snooker hall in little Italy. I always looked forward to these trips, because it meant a ride in his Cadillac and free reign of the snooker hall. As always there were 4 or 5 other Caddies in the parking lot, belonging to the other old men who would have their cappuccino and talk while I played endless hours of Mrs Pac Man and Street Fighter 2. You see, I could play as much as I wanted because the man who ran the snooker hall - which was always oddly empty - would just reach into the till and grab out handfuls of quarters for me.

That's the thing I remember the most, especially being small, are his hands. Despite the fact that he was missing several fingers, or just the tips of fingers, he could hold a lot more change than I could, so I had to be careful when he poured them into my hands. Then he would give me a hot chocolate and a cannoli, and off I went. The other thing I remember the most is that if you slapped all 6 attack buttons on player 1 of street fighter 2, you would change characters at random during combat.

This went on from the time I was very young, chin high to the snooker tables, until I could play on them properly. I didn't realize that I was hanging out with the mafia until about 5 years ago when I first told this story to a stranger...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

treiz01 posted:

When I was a child I spent most of my summers with my Italian grandparents. Every Saturday morning, my Nonno (grandpa) would take me to a snooker hall in little Italy. I always looked forward to these trips, because it meant a ride in his Cadillac and free reign of the snooker hall. As always there were 4 or 5 other Caddies in the parking lot, belonging to the other old men who would have their cappuccino and talk while I played endless hours of Mrs Pac Man and Street Fighter 2. You see, I could play as much as I wanted because the man who ran the snooker hall - which was always oddly empty - would just reach into the till and grab out handfuls of quarters for me.

That's the thing I remember the most, especially being small, are his hands. Despite the fact that he was missing several fingers, or just the tips of fingers, he could hold a lot more change than I could, so I had to be careful when he poured them into my hands. Then he would give me a hot chocolate and a cannoli, and off I went. The other thing I remember the most is that if you slapped all 6 attack buttons on player 1 of street fighter 2, you would change characters at random during combat.

This went on from the time I was very young, chin high to the snooker tables, until I could play on them properly. I didn't realize that I was hanging out with the mafia until about 5 years ago when I first told this story to a stranger...

its like the hallmark channel version of a bronx tale

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

EX250 Type R posted:

its like the hallmark channel version of a bronx tale

Yeah, the mildest brush with crime ever. Still a bizarre realization to have as an adult about something you perceived as being totally normal as a child. Also explains how my family owned an entire block of houses in a large metropolitan city...

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Every Italian ever posted:

I know the mafia

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

I don't think the mob is quite that big

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I remember an older classmate in a college class that explained how if an Italian claimed to be in the Mafia, he's bullshitting.

But be very afraid of an Italian who claims that the Mafia doesn't exist.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

treiz01 posted:

Actually he gave you a cannolo.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Jerry Cotton posted:

Actually he gave you a cannolo.

did you just assume its pronouns

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Back when I lived in Madrid I was friends with some folks who worked at a nightclub and one of them got me in on a Wednesday night. There was a long line outside that I got to skip and once I was in, the place was nearly empty all night. I asked my friend what was up and she said that the club was kept mostly empty like that about once a month and she was pretty sure it was in order to launder money for the Bulgarian Mafia.

That's my organized crime story, thanks for listening.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Xibanya posted:

Back when I lived in Madrid I was friends with some folks who worked at a nightclub and one of them got me in on a Wednesday night. There was a long line outside that I got to skip and once I was in, the place was nearly empty all night. I asked my friend what was up and she said that the club was kept mostly empty like that about once a month and she was pretty sure it was in order to launder money for the Bulgarian Mafia.

That's my organized crime story, thanks for listening.

That seems like a silly way to launder money. Why not just add whatever onto the daily take instead of creating a fake day?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Powaqoatse posted:

That seems like a silly way to launder money. Why not just add whatever onto the daily take instead of creating a fake day?

Maybe they figured they could just fake an entire nights business and also take a breather?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There was a Chinese restaurant like that in Melbourne about ten years ago - they just never opened, but banked several thousand dollars a night in "takings" (drug money). They got rumbled because a tax office employee walked his dog past there and noticed it had a sign saying "closed for function" every single night, and the lights were never on.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Powaqoatse posted:

Our guess was, this was one of those clubs that would turn you away at the door if they felt you weren't dressed nicely enough (I had been turned away once for wearing flats) that this also helped maintain their air of exclusivity.

All I know is, laundering or not, every now and then they would have a night where they kept the place mostly deserted even with a line outside - and nightclubs operate on tight margins. Also most clubs in Madrid have ties to Bulgarian mafia. Related? Who knows. But it's more exciting to think that it is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why the Bulgarian mafia though?

Italy is a lot closer than Bulgaria and has several large and influential organised crime groups that are literally the originators of the concept of a Mafia. Heck Corsica is right next door to Spain and they have their own low rent mafia.

Though I fully understand the Bulgarian mafia not wanting to do business at home what with Bulgaria being Bulgaria. It's just that Spain seems to be taking it a bit too far.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why the Bulgarian mafia though?

Italy is a lot closer than Bulgaria and has several large and influential organised crime groups that are literally the originators of the concept of a Mafia. Heck Corsica is right next door to Spain and they have their own low rent mafia.

Though I fully understand the Bulgarian mafia not wanting to do business at home what with Bulgaria being Bulgaria. It's just that Spain seems to be taking it a bit too far.

I'm not making it up, the Bulgarian mafia is a huge deal in Madrid for whatever reason :shrug: When I lived there I'd see it in the news fairly frequently. If I had to guess I'd say it had something to do with Spain being a huge entry point for cocaine to the rest of Europe but that's all I know.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
can't unsee the finger

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Apparently her and hBomb have the same sense of humour. Maybe now he's finished playing through Eternal Sonata with InstantGrat he could fly to the states and do a thing with her - become truly an international person. :P

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Stuff I just figured out: Social Justice Youtube is best Youtube.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Stuff I just figured out: Social Justice Youtube is best Youtube.

:yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvwr1TpKznk

check out the white guy comments below if you wanna be annoyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I just learned about the Joker rule in Yahtzee.