Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Wait it's made by Bryan Fuller, the guy who made Hannibal and American gods? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

counterfeitsaint posted:

If you want some WW2 era semi fictional stuff I really recommend the gently caress out of Manhattan. Both seasons were excellent... all 7 of us who actually watched the show agree :negative: Why WGN of all networks spent a ton of money on this project will forever remain a mystery, but I'm glad they did. It's not actual combat stuff though, it takes place almost entirely in New Mexico.

Opening credits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fV5WNudPPU

Manhattan was really really good.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Zzulu posted:

Wait it's made by Bryan Fuller, the guy who made Hannibal and American gods? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnYtyNKPsA

I saw the trailer and genuinely thought they were doing a new Star Trek movie.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bryan Fuller makes really cool stuff, man. I am not as pessimistic now as I once was~

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

Bryan Fuller makes really cool stuff, man. I am not as pessimistic now as I once was~

Bryan Fuller had a fight with CBS and quit. Somebody else is running the new Star Trek.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Looking forward to those beautiful slow motion shots of replicators making food.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

PostNouveau posted:

Bryan Fuller had a fight with CBS and quit. Somebody else is running the new Star Trek.

I am now returning to my previous pessimistic assertions~

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao to the person saying that Nolan should do a WW2 cinematic universe, in his interview with BBC Radio 4 he basically says they ended the movie with that in mind

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bryan Fuller wrote (or co-wrote) twenty Voyager episodes. He's an expert at making bad Star Trek.

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
that Star trek trailer is worrisome. Very action-heavy and lots of inane dialogue

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know trailers always gotta trailer house but they are trying really hard to do the movie feel. It still looks like NuTrek but not as bad for most part but that Klingon ship is beyond ugly.

Are they stunt casting Michelle Yeoh? I don't think she says a thing staring at a screen in disbelief that she is doing Trek. 95% of the lines are for that black chick who looks like is being written to get the captain seat.

Old Story posted:

that Star trek trailer is worrisome. Very action-heavy and lots of inane dialogue

Chaos blah blah blah

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Red Letter Media is almost as bad as the Israeli occupation of Palestine

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

corn in the bible posted:

Red Letter Media is almost as bad as the Israeli occupation of Palestine

Unironically agree. Only it's actually good.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Is there a better Rich moment than him declaring that he is not Charlie Brown, and won't try and kick that football, and Mike assures him he will let him reattempt the punchline and despite Rich knowing exactly what will happen, he tries anyway?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Rich doesn't have a choice

He never did

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmao to the person saying that Nolan should do a WW2 cinematic universe, in his interview with BBC Radio 4 he basically says they ended the movie with that in mind

that could be really funny if it worked, if every dipshit has been trying to squeeze recognizable properties together into cinematic universe and nolan goes in and just nolans his way into one based on history.

and then people might start imitating that too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Clawtopsy posted:

Is there a better Rich moment than him declaring that he is not Charlie Brown, and won't try and kick that football, and Mike assures him he will let him reattempt the punchline and despite Rich knowing exactly what will happen, he tries anyway?

Rich Evans is defeatable.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ironic, because Rich Evans looks almost exactly like Charlie Brown.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah and Josh looks like Pig Pen.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah and Josh looks like Pig Pen.

I only ever hear a groaning trombone when he talks, too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I hope they hurry up and get to the cosmic stuff. That's the best part of the WW2 universe.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what movie is the shot of the moon with the mirrored guy in it from in the montage near the end of the review

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Relin posted:

what movie is the shot of the moon with the mirrored guy in it from in the montage near the end of the review

This shot?

Creepshow I think.

Oh you mean this one:

I dont know.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
looking closer it's not the same guy. 31:01 specifically

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relin posted:

Survival of the Dead is better than the Israeli occupation of Palestine

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So Ready Player One is basically I Claaaaapped: The Movie

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I had some kind of cognitive dissonance where I was unable to comprehend what I was seeing during the ready P1 trailer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

https://twitter.com/donniemnemonic/status/889215615717605376

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jesus loving Christ. It's way worse than I imagined, he's literally just listing the media he consumed.

No wonder this book sold like gangbusters.

Also, point of order, no crazy game creator who's obsessed with the 80s is going to care about the loving prequels.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

I saw Warner Brothers property The Iron GiantTM and the DMCTM DeLoreanTM from the hit Spielberg-produced film Back to the FutureTM, both of which I am a fan of. Therefore, I will like the film Ready Player One.

I'm been recommended this book more than once, and I honestly had no interest in reading it based off of a loose summary. I'm glad to see my thoughts on it were correct. Who could read this poo poo?

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 24, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
80'S MOVIE REFERENCES

I'M GONNA CUUUUMMMMM

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Also confirmed nerds Simon Pegg and T.J. Miller will be in this heap, so go and see the both of them yell nerd references at each other and maybe watch them smoke weed at some point who knows.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to the HITB ep

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

80'S MOVIE REFERENCES

I'M GONNA CUUUUMMMMM

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake

SpacePig posted:

I'm been recommended this book more than once, and I honestly had no interest in reading it based off of a loose summary. I'm glad to see my thoughts on it were correct. Who could read this poo poo?

Is Halliday a nerd that this gay man is trying to court, so instead of just talking to him like a normal person he's doing all this weird socially awkward poo poo?

No, of course not. It's got to be much, much worse (endless trash)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Since Ready Player 1 takes place mostly in virtual reality, the effects guys don't have to spend much effort making anything look too realistic.

"It's all bideo james, poo poo can look fake, it's fine."

EDIT: Gonna write a sequel to Snowcrash featuring Hiro Protagonist's cousin, Bideo James.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Docahedron posted:

Is Halliday a nerd that this gay man is trying to court, so instead of just talking to him like a normal person he's doing all this weird socially awkward poo poo?

Hallyday is the game designer who hid a super secret treasure in his game that the protagonist is trying to find. Halliday left clues using "I CLAPPED!" reference to 80s culture.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Oh, so that long list of poo poo actually has some impact on the story itself? That's... Something, I guess.

Docahedron posted:

Near as I can tell, from the way that whole thing doesn't have a single quotation mark save for emphasis, and from a quick reading of the Wikipedia article, Halliday is the guy who wrote that stuff down as culturally significant, and the main character is listing all of the poo poo to the reader, ostensibly for our benefit, or to impress us.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
i can never unread that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

Looking forward to the HITB ep

You mean BOTW

• Locked thread