Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Error 404 posted:

Seeing it in action it seems like its just Flamethrower but cold?

yeah but it snap freezes things

doesn't seem to work through shields but still pretty legit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait they added new characters? I'm playing right now and didn't notice :v:

On that note, I just did 15,000 points worth of damage in 2 waves of Platinum. Trip Mines are ridiculous.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, Bat Man has Snap Freeze, duh

I got the most useless weapon in the game (Question mark?): Concussive Incisor. lol. I guess on a Turian with all the Stability mods possible it might be "viable".

Also got Concussive Isharay which is pretty hilarious for Platinum.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Concussive causes a biotic explosion on a weak spot kill, so that's why things seem to explode with your Zalkin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DatonKallandor posted:

Concussive causes a biotic explosion on a weak spot kill, so that's why things seem to explode with your Zalkin.

Right, but it's only a Concussive I and the point of contention is that more ranks make it proc more - but it seems to proc every single time I kill something with a weakpoint shot already. Do Concussive ranks make the explosion bigger then?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Bigger and/or Stronger. Unless it's been datamined I doubt we'll ever know for sure. It's not a chance based thing though - it's a guarantee, because there's already the weakspot condition to make it happen in the first place. The Lifesteal isn't chance based either btw - but it does (nebulously) improve with kills somehow and also improves (in some way) with higher ranks.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I hate using cover or playing smartly in any way, so I've been maining Vanguard during my sporadic play since I got this game. It's still fun as hell even if the exclusion of things like grab kills from ME3 is baffling, but from my few forays into Platinum I'm getting the feeling that I'm not gonna be able to make much headway by Charge/Nova/Shockwave-ing into everything I meet

Accordingly I've been loving around with a human Infiltrator and using a playstyle of "cloak, get behind people, Rozerad them to death, still never take any cover ever". It's been super fun so far and I managed to effectively solo a Bronze game at level 3, so things look good for now. But here are a few things I want to sense-check with you guys as I try to push into Gold and hopefully eventually Platinum with stealthy folks:

1) Are any of the Infiltrators notably better or more fun to play than others? Aside from the fact that having the Human one at Rank 20 means she's just way stronger than the rarer ones by default. Turian Agent looks cool as hell, is he worth trying if I can get him?
2) I'm enjoying auto weapons much more than sniper rifles with what I've tried so far (plus I can actually aim them), does that generally work with Infiltrators and other stealth types? If so, what are the best ones to use? I have Bronzes at X and most Golds at I, including an Avenger S and Charger S
3) Am I gonna have to buckle down and learn how to start using cover smartly at some point? I already use it during like, hack/upload objectives and the last 30 seconds of extraction, but it just seems like I'm sitting there seeing zero enemies while my allies get overwhelmed unless I'm constantly darting around

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only real reason to use cover is that it makes your shields regen a lot faster and (usually) protects you from Sharpshooters etc

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I hug cover like motherfucker whenever possible because I suck and it seems like everytime I don't I get flattened instantly.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

I hate using cover or playing smartly in any way, so I've been maining Vanguard during my sporadic play since I got this game. It's still fun as hell even if the exclusion of things like grab kills from ME3 is baffling, but from my few forays into Platinum I'm getting the feeling that I'm not gonna be able to make much headway by Charge/Nova/Shockwave-ing into everything I meet

Accordingly I've been loving around with a human Infiltrator and using a playstyle of "cloak, get behind people, Rozerad them to death, still never take any cover ever". It's been super fun so far and I managed to effectively solo a Bronze game at level 3, so things look good for now. But here are a few things I want to sense-check with you guys as I try to push into Gold and hopefully eventually Platinum with stealthy folks:

1) Are any of the Infiltrators notably better or more fun to play than others? Aside from the fact that having the Human one at Rank 20 means she's just way stronger than the rarer ones by default. Turian Agent looks cool as hell, is he worth trying if I can get him?
2) I'm enjoying auto weapons much more than sniper rifles with what I've tried so far (plus I can actually aim them), does that generally work with Infiltrators and other stealth types? If so, what are the best ones to use? I have Bronzes at X and most Golds at I, including an Avenger S and Charger S
3) Am I gonna have to buckle down and learn how to start using cover smartly at some point? I already use it during like, hack/upload objectives and the last 30 seconds of extraction, but it just seems like I'm sitting there seeing zero enemies while my allies get overwhelmed unless I'm constantly darting around

The Salarian Infiltrator seems to be best at using automatic weapons, the Rozerad/Hurricane being particularly excellent on him. He's only uncommon, so it won't be that hard to get to rank 20.

I also enjoy the Asari Huntress, but that's mainly because I play her like a Soldier and ignore Stealth Grid except for when I'm running objectives.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Turian agent is super overpowered with the extra two seconds of stealth with the flamethrower. I see no reason to put more than one point into tactical visor because I'm always flamering

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
On that note, do we have a Google Doc of suggested kit builds somewhere because they keep fussing with characters and resetting my points and I'm tired of trying to remember what I had each time

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

On that note, do we have a Google Doc of suggested kit builds somewhere because they keep fussing with characters and resetting my points and I'm tired of trying to remember what I had each time

You're welcome to start one, but I've not come across anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hahaha holy poo poo, I never noticed that Escape Artist "triggers Tactical Cloak on melee kills". That sounds great for HuInfs.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Any advice for going from gold to plat other than "suck less"?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Play with friends and talk to them while you play

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I've been referring to this, which I believe started on reddit. It's a nice menu if you don't want to theorycraft after every patch.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_0l5pFFHH_H6ZvEAfmfDJsUAQIeLPHqLmLRpWlHq8YU/htmlview

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Error 404 posted:

Any advice for going from gold to plat other than "suck less"?

The biggest deal on Plat is that you have to identify priority threats and work together to take them out quickly. Observers are the bane of Platinum, for example. Take them down.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

precision posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, I never noticed that Escape Artist "triggers Tactical Cloak on melee kills". That sounds great for HuInfs.

Give me a Krogan Infiltrator with this and the hammer. I'll be a walking, swinging visual glitch.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Store just got three new Equipment items, hope you got them funds saved up.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thor-Stryker posted:

Store just got three new Equipment items, hope you got them funds saved up.

Anything good?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Error 404 posted:

Anything good?

-100% health and shield regen delay
+3 power cells
20% shield & 20% combat power damage

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

So... instant health and shield regeneration? That... changes the game significantly.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Two Finger posted:

So... instant health and shield regeneration? That... changes the game significantly.

Or it just halves the delay! We won't know until somebody tries it out, and I don't trust their math.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Because if it really is instant, you can just fire shield based powers indefinitely.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
What was the sniper rifle that everyone loved? I've been using the Black Widow in single player as my SR, but if there's something better. This is assuming weapons are similar between MP/SP.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vanquisher. It's been nerfed but is still a strong choice.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Tried out the -100% cooldown. It's not instant as it would suggest.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

Yeah, the Vanquisher is still the tits. I have fun with the Isharay when my aim is good too.

I recently started on the angaran avenger, holy cow is she fun on silvers.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

PureRok posted:

I'm curious if it stacks with the Soldier passive and the deployable wall's 100% reduction affect.

300% would be pretty effin interesting.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

precision posted:

I've been doing this on an under-leveled Human Inf and it's kind of hard to rack up kills this way because you don't have the closing speed like a Vanguard and you can't AOE melee like a Vanguard. You obviously need the movement speed boost over the duration line in cloak to go with it. It's still fun to run really fast, though.

What I see is I start the round pretty high on the leaderboard but taper off as the enemies increase in each wave. Could also be my own fault of not being good at this and also not really being able to hang with players 10 levels above me with better weapons, etc.

PureRok posted:

Not sure if this is about the Inf build but sometimes you get a kill stolen at the last second and then your rear end is hanging out in the open just when you most need a cloak.

Speaking of points, any advice on classes/builds that will just help me build up space bucks early on so I can buy packs and try to improve my characters/weapons?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 28, 2017

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

Human Adept, set up combos for people all day and get those support medals!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

tadashi posted:

Speaking of points, any advice on classes/builds that will just help me build up space bucks early on so I can buy packs and try to improve my characters/weapons?

If you go the route of buying the basic boxes to upgrade your Humans to XX, I would suggest Hooman Sentinel. You can detonate your own combos, choose between biotic or tech combos, have two deployable barriers for objectives and your tech power also restores shields.

The only downside is you need enough points in both Throw and Shield drain to get the +Prime feature on both powers (Which is easy if you have it at or near XX.)

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

tadashi posted:

Not sure if this is about the Inf build but sometimes you get a kill stolen at the last second and then your rear end is hanging out in the open just when you most need a cloak.

Nah, it's about the item for sale that says it gives "-100% Shield Regen Cooldown" or something like that. It's definitely faster now, but it still takes a second or two to regen still.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not sure when this became true but the Revenant is very good even on non Turians, I only have it at rank 4 but with a stock it's as stable as a Ghost and does much better damage, it also doesn't have bloom so you can snipe with it easily. As always there are strictly better choices (even a Charger S probably is better) but if you want to mix things up it's not a bad choice.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Human sentinel and human adept are both very good, but I'm going to suggest Human Soldier. Frag grenades are crazy powerful now, especially since Andromeda ammo crates have 4 grenades per person per round. In Gold you can drat near kill a pack of Berserkers with just two grenades.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Khizan posted:

Human sentinel and human adept are both very good, but I'm going to suggest Human Soldier. Frag grenades are crazy powerful now, especially since Andromeda ammo crates have 4 grenades per person per round. In Gold you can drat near kill a pack of Berserkers with just two grenades.

To expand upon this, Concussive-Shot can also be turned into an ammo based power and Ammo crates restock both for the price of one which lets you be a gleeful idiot, running around knocking everything down and exploding things like the N7 Demolisher from ME3MP. Grenade/Conc also lets you focus exclusively on power based upgrades.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thor-Stryker posted:

To expand upon this, Concussive-Shot can also be turned into an ammo based power and Ammo crates restock both for the price of one which lets you be a gleeful idiot, running around knocking everything down and exploding things like the N7 Demolisher from ME3MP. Grenade/Conc also lets you focus exclusively on power based upgrades.

Also you can carry the heaviest weapons you want because gently caress needing recharge.

IMO human soldier is the flavorless plain oatmeal of classes, but it doesn't suck.

E: load it up with capacity boosters and equipment, and you have the perfect rear end in a top hat to knock down those 'get points using combat powers' dailies.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Error 404 posted:

E: load it up with capacity boosters and equipment, and you have the perfect rear end in a top hat to knock down those 'get points using combat powers' dailies.

I find the capacity to be lacklustre because you can only restock 4 at a box. However an 11-Grenade 12-Concussive Soldier would be pretty hilarious.

I run the 'Survivor Loadout' equipment (20% Shields, 20% Combat Power Damage) since shields with extra damage for your combat powers is never a bad thing and you don't have to game the ammo boxes at the end of each round. 'Enhanced Munitions' (30% Combat Power) is also a good substitute because even bosses need to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thor-Stryker posted:

However an 11-Grenade 12-Concussive Soldier would be pretty hilarious.

It is. It really is.

• Locked thread