Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Why are you guys gushing about this? It looks so mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Zzulu posted:

There was a swordfight on a bike. There is no mediocre way to execute that.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Don't know about this. Oh, imagine if in Stranger Things there was like a parallel dimension where there were monsters and there were a bunch of kids and it was set in the 80's.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But there is a parallel dimension, and there are monsters and kids in the 80's....?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hedenius posted:

Don't know about this. Oh, imagine if in Stranger Things there was like a parallel dimension where there were monsters and there were a bunch of kids and it was set in the 80's.

Imagine if Stranger Things was Stranger Things.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zzulu posted:

Indeed, it does not look as good as Hardcore Henry.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hedenius posted:

:lol:

Either you're trolling or just... what? :lol:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hedenius posted:

?????

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hedenius posted:

This is the greatest post of the year.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Indeed, it does not look as good as Hardcore Henry.

Yeah like most of the first-person choreography was decent but the real star of Hardcore Henry was its overwhelming Russian-ness. You're not gonna get something as good if you just borrow first-person ultraviolence

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Hedenius posted:

Hahahahahaha.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah like most of the first-person choreography was decent but the real star of Hardcore Henry was its overwhelming Russian-ness. You're not gonna get something as good if you just borrow first-person ultraviolence

The FPS movie does a lot of really good, uncommented on "environmental storytelling" ala Half Life 2. I'm surprised there isn't more stuff scrawled on the walls about what Henry needs to do to get past this next part of the game.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

man that thor trailer looks actually good surprising considering every single comic movie lateley has been garbage

I feel like they're getting away from "But what if a comic book movie was super serious and realistic!?!?" and back into "ok we can make it *look* realistic... but lets get back to the charm"

That and combine it with that sort of epic fantasy feel that was very specific to the 80s.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hedenius posted:

Dude, did... Did you watch Grace and Frankie and thought that's what those kids were calling Stranger Things?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It may be a joke about how season 2 looks just like season 1.

Which, to be fair, is sort of what TV is all about--giving the people what they want over and over and over

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah, the dude was just pointing out it's a retread but...that's what tv is

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Is it a "retread" to continue telling a story and keep following the characters and plot elements that appeared earlier in the story?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think we know enough about the plot to say it's a retread.

As it's not an anthology series I'm not sure why having the same characters in the same setting is a bad thing.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I think he was just disappointed season 2 wasnt set in his bathroom

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

Is it a "retread" to continue telling a story and keep following the characters and plot elements that appeared earlier in the story?

We already covered all that in season 1, season 2 should be about preparing for the Indiana standardized tests.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

kiimo posted:

We already covered all that in season 1, season 2 should be about preparing for the Indiana standardized tests.

Iowa Test of Basic Skills! :eng101:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

teagone posted:

That did nothing for me, even if the Iron Giant is in there.

Spielberg sucks, his popcult event sucks, and it is now apparent why he was shilling for lovely motion-gaming tech some years ago. loving tourist.

Wonder Woman was good but not enough to save the DC franchise from utter wankery.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

See, the nostalgia in Stranger Things just feels forced af to me. Like, we're still mining that poo poo? It feels like a thin veneer, like one of the weeks at Black Mirror's San Junipero afterlife thing. Hey it's Alanis Morissette and some Doom! We in the 90s now son! I guess it's not technically nostalgia for me since I'm not old enough to have direct 80s nostalgia but this shtick feels like it's been done to death 100000 times over the last 15 years. We still on that neon nostalgia tip? STILL?

Can't get into it either; it's just daft as hell and painted in the broadest strokes possible. And the acting sucks rear end.

Alehkhs posted:

I'm enjoying Marvel embracing its cosmic side...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue80QwXMRHg

The good Hulk and Thor banter is enough to sell the lame concept.

Ammanas posted:

Dunno about that, the Shadow set a pretty high bar

:drat:

RedSpider posted:

Don't kid yourself Wonder Woman was complete shlock too

I thought WW was surprisingly on-point. I mean, it didn't exactly stick the landing but Gal Gadot pretty much nailed the character.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SimonCat posted:

Iowa Test of Basic Skills! :eng101:

Thought Indiana did ISTEP but maybe not in 1984.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bruteman posted:

It's from the group Magic Sword - the song is called In the Face of Evil.

Magic Sword's whole aesthetic is like what you'd get if the Conan films were scored by Daft Punk.

I love Magic Sword, perfect pick for the aesthetic they're going for with Thor 3.

What is the track that plays in the last ~30 seconds of the trailer? It doesn't sound like In the Face of Evil, unless it's a remixed version or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I thought WW was surprisingly on-point. I mean, it didn't exactly stick the landing but Gal Gadot pretty much nailed the character.

Gadot was the perfect cast for Wonder Woman. She had the look for sure, and she already knew how to make war on people who can't effectively fight back from her time in the IDF.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jedit posted:

Gadot was the perfect cast for Wonder Woman. She had the look for sure, and she already knew how to make war on people who can't effectively fight back from her time in the IDF.

:iceburn:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
drat son

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

porfiria posted:

It may be a joke about how season 2 looks just like season 1.

Which, to be fair, is sort of what TV is all about--giving the people what they want over and over and over
Yes it was. It just looks like the same season again. I can't think of a single thing in that trailer that wasn't in the first season.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I love Magic Sword, perfect pick for the aesthetic they're going for with Thor 3.

What is the track that plays in the last ~30 seconds of the trailer? It doesn't sound like In the Face of Evil, unless it's a remixed version or something.

The second half of the trailer uses a weird remix of it, yeah. I can still make out the synth "DUH-NUH-NUH-NUHHHH"s from the original, they're just processed to hell and back.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I know the Internet is filled with "let's take old movies and give them modern trailers," so when I saw this I thought it was another one until I saw it was Sony's official account

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpQ3G08k48

40th anniversary re-release, digital 4k remaster, etc.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I hate contemporary trailer techniques, they oversell every single beat.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Jedit posted:

How many Palestinians do you think she murdered?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

We Need to Talk About Kevin Jeffrey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=55_pHI3cafY

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RedSpider posted:

When filming the No Man's Land scene she corrected Patty on how a poor man sounds when he dies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RedSpider posted:

Honestly, this is something I've unironically been kind of concerned about with Gadot playing Wonder Woman; have the specifics of her IDF tenure been reported anywhere?

If she never actually did anything, I'm okay with it, but... I'm not gonna keep seeing DC movies if they're giving an actual no-poo poo war criminal work, and while I'm not gonna kneejerk and assume she is one without evidence, the chance is definitely greater than zero.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That looks legitimately really good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, this is something I've unironically been kind of concerned about with Gadot playing Wonder Woman; have the specifics of her IDF tenure been reported anywhere?

If she never actually did anything, I'm okay with it, but... I'm not gonna keep seeing DC movies if they're giving an actual no-poo poo war criminal work, and while I'm not gonna kneejerk and assume she is one without evidence, the chance is definitely greater than zero.

:rolleyes:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The worst thing Gadot did that I'm aware of is posting an Instagram picture where she prayed for IDF soldiers who were at the time attacking Gaza.

However, it was probably enough to make Lexi Alexander prefer directing episodes of Supergirl and Arrow instead of the WW movie.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

BonoMan posted:

That looks legitimately really good.

I am not a big comic person, but the comic that it is based on is extremely good. I highly recommend taking a look at it if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This looks really good but also I made this face watching the trailer :chloe:

• Locked thread