Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sunshine Mix posted:

I have a quick aircraft question....on the Savoia-Marchetti SM.79, there's this funny little module of the side off the cockpit with its own small propeller (pictured). What's going on there?

Its a wind-driven generator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Gnoman posted:

Meat is an extremely energy-dense form of food, so that would probably significantly ease the difficulty of transporting rations.
hey i was at stralsund all weekend, fun fact: the witstock mass grave and a soldiers' grave from Neu-Brandenburg both evince that soldiers during the 30yw ate more meat than civilians but were in terrible health in other ways, such as parasites and mucous membrane inflammations

wittstock:
http://www.1636.de/category/schlacht-bei-wittstock/massengrab-von-wittstock/

neubrandenburg:

quote:

Alle der mindestens 13 Individuen waren Männer, die in einem Alter von 15 bis 44 Jahren verstorben waren. Die durchschnittliche Körperhöhe betrug 170 cm. Der Zustand der Gebisse ließ auf eine gute, fleischreiche Ernährung schließen. Sehr häufige entzündliche Erkrankungen des Schädeldaches und der Nasennebenhöhlen, sowie Spuren von Mundschleimhautentzündungen deuteten auf äußerst schlechte hygienischen Verhältnisse, Parasitenbefall und unzureichende Wohnverhältnisse.
http://www.anthropologie-jungklaus.de/projekt.php?id=Neubrandenburg,%20Massengrab%20von%201631

tl;dr: probably even grosser than other early modern people

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 24, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

speak for yourself, when i was seven years old we spent one winter gathering wood because we had no money for coal for the furnace

grad school's been amazingly cushy, comparatively

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Milhist thread, I need something very unusual for you, a hot take

Netflix has a series named Roman Empire: reign of blood, is it good or bad

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fangz posted:

Yeah I think one of the commander guys makes a point of not having enough small ships and so being restricted to the Mole because they couldn't take people off the beaches, so the small ships (+ the jury rigged piers) fulfill that role.

It *was* still a catastrophic defeat, but it was enough of a morale boost with the way it was sold to the British public that it kept Britain in the war. I sorta like how the movie kinda alludes to that. Like there was enough ambiguity with them reading Churchill's speech and the look the guy has at the end which is just this side of 'what the gently caress is he on about', meanwhile the kid that died gets a write up as a war hero.

The French troops that made it back to France barely made it in time to even get ready to march to the front. By that point the French army was so depleted that even significantly better tactics didn't save them.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HEY GAIL posted:

hey i was at stralsund all weekend, fun fact: the witstock mass grave and a soldiers' grave from Neu-Brandenburg both evince that soldiers during the 30yw ate more meat than civilians but were in terrible health in other ways, such as parasites and mucous membrane inflammations

I can't read German, does "parasitenbefall" mean what I think it does...?

Anyway, just got back from seeing Dunkirk. (Loved it.) I was wondering, in reality, were hospitals and hospital ships etc considered "fair game" at this stage of the war, or did both sides generally refrain from blowing up anything with a big red cross on it?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tree Bucket posted:

they probably have lice, friend

edit: so much lice that they left traces on the surface of their skulls

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 24, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Netflix has a series named Roman Empire: reign of blood, is it good or bad

Bad, I got about twenty minutes in before I had to turn it off because the format is so bad.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAIL posted:

they probably have lice, friend

Things rarely seen in DnD

I mean how the hell does that even happen. Is this one of those "we don't wash ever because we believe bathing saps our vitality" sorta bullshit

I think when it comes to medicine, Europe had to try out all the bad, wrong ideas before starting on some right ones

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PittTheElder posted:

Bad, I got about twenty minutes in before I had to turn it off because the format is so bad.

Good to know, thanks

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Things rarely seen in DnD

I mean how the hell does that even happen. Is this one of those "we don't wash ever because we believe bathing saps our vitality" sorta bullshit

I think when it comes to medicine, Europe had to try out all the bad, wrong ideas before starting on some right ones
these dudes are soldiers. they travel from place to place frequently from about mayish to mid/late fall. it's also before the industrial age. how are you going to bathe in these conditions?

edit: i seem to remember hearing that wallenstein bathed every day, but i don't remember where i got it or how true it is. i do know he put rosemary and sandalwood in the water though

edit 2: also, imagine them sniffling frequently. They would have, both the Wittstock thing and the Neubrandenburg thing mention mucous membrane problems, sinusitis and such.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 24, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

HEY GAIL posted:

guah

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah that lice thing is terrifying. How does that even happen?

Edit: I understand SO MANY LICE is a thing but how does that mechanically impact the skull?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 24, 2017

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Anyway, just got back from seeing Dunkirk. (Loved it.) I was wondering, in reality, were hospitals and hospital ships etc considered "fair game" at this stage of the war, or did both sides generally refrain from blowing up anything with a big red cross on it?

I don't think they were ever considered fair game and were protected by the Hague/Geneva conventions. There are always exceptions though and they do lose that legal protection if they are used for "any military purpose". If it was used to evacuate any non wounded soldiers it loses that protection. The difficulty is in the knowing.

Is it possible the pilots didn't see the markings? Or the Germans didn't believe it was being used exclusively to evacuate wounded? Or the pilots acted on their own initiative?

Paris was a hospital ship that was sunk by aircraft during Dunkirk evacuations.

BattleMoose fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 24, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Yeah that lice thing is terrifying. How does that even happen?

Edit: I understand SO MANY LICE is a thing but how does that mechanically impact the skull?
inflammation (and picking at it) makes microscopic traces on the bone

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

BattleMoose posted:

I don't think they were ever considered fair game and were protected by the Hague/Geneva conventions. There are always exceptions though and they do lose that legal protection if they are used for "any military purpose". If it was used to evacuate any non wounded soldiers it loses that protection. The difficulty is in the knowing.

Is it possible the pilots didn't see the markings? Or the Germans didn't believe it was being used exclusively to evacuate wounded? Or the pilots acted on their own initiative?

Paris was a hospital ship that was sunk by aircraft during Dunkirk evacuations.

I don't know about the Germans but the British didn't particularly care about the treaties, if they caught German planes rescuing downed pilots they attacked them, red cross or no red cross.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain#Air-sea_rescue

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Someone said Dunkirk is a movie where you find yourself holding your breath for 2 hours.

I think it's accurate, there was a lot of points like that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Someone said Dunkirk is a movie where you find yourself holding your breath for 2 hours.

I think it's accurate, there was a lot of points like that.

Another thing that comes out of casting unknowns is that there's zero sense that any of the characters are safe for the full film by virtue of their paycheck.

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh man they probably deemphasized the head louse situation in the recruitment pitch.

That non-Wittstock site says that the bulk of the deceased died aged 25-29, and that the youngest individual was 15, which makes me wonder about how many campaign seasons it would take before your sinusitis and head lice have been carved into your loving bones.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Oh man they probably deemphasized the head louse situation in the recruitment pitch.

That non-Wittstock site says that the bulk of the deceased died aged 25-29, and that the youngest individual was 15, which makes me wonder about how many campaign seasons it would take before your sinusitis and head lice have been carved into your loving bones.
at least from things i saw in saxon muster rolls in the 1680s, these guys were somewhat older than modern troops, on average. It makes sense--there's no or little formal training, you have to pick poo poo up to get eventually good at it. But I don't like quoting Saxon things from the 80s because before 83 that was a peacetime army, and so probably older and fatter than their wartime equivalents.

edit: both of those data sets together gave me a cool idea while I was going to sleep last night, which is that if you find some unidentified 17th century bones now we have a way to (extremely roughly, and not foolproof) tell if they were soldiers or not. Someone who ate a lot of meat, had recurrent sinus problems or nose problems, and more parasites than usual, might be a soldier.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 24, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How did armies in the 30 years war ration out food? Was there a nominal 'this is what a soldier should be getting'? How'd they store what they foraged?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAIL posted:

inflammation (and picking at it) makes microscopic traces on the bone

loving cut your hair off what is wrong with these people

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

loving cut your hair off what is wrong with these people

Even if they cut their hair, which they did if they wore wigs the lice would just infest their head gear and return to their home skull with ease. Also, Barbers were minor surgeons and Dentists too and rarely around, if they weren't busy assisting the regimental surgeons with more important matters.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
Leaving the lice aside, and I know it's played out, but can we talk about this bullshit for just a minute:

HEY GAIL posted:

neubrandenburg:

Mundschleimhautentzündungen

How is this a word, German language? It's OK for "inflammation of the oral mucous membranes" to be a phrase, it doesn't need to be one loving word.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Even if they cut their hair, which they did if they wore wigs the lice would just infest their head gear and return to their home skull with ease. Also, Barbers were minor surgeons and Dentists too and rarely around, if they weren't busy assisting the regimental surgeons with more important matters.

So don't wear the wigs and give the lice less places to live come on people

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone had lice until like, the 19th century. Wait til you hear how these guys had to use the bathroom

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Was that one series that portrayed itself sort of HBO's Rome at the end but cheaper but when you started watching it couldn't decide if it was a TV show or documentary and we got both talking heads and dry voice overs that kept sinking the pacing and pointing out the obvious?

If so, I abandoned watching that after the 1st episode. It wasn't good.

zoux posted:

Everyone had lice until like, the 19th century. Wait til you hear how these guys had to use the bathroom

Little hint about it, they didn't have toilet paper!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

As the opposing pike block enters into engagement range, a louse crawls into the man's left eye

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Was that one series that portrayed itself sort of HBO's Rome at the end but cheaper but when you started watching it couldn't decide if it was a TV show or documentary and we got both talking heads and dry voice overs that kept sinking the pacing and pointing out the obvious?

If so, I abandoned watching that after the 1st episode. It wasn't good.

Little hint about it, they didn't have toilet paper!

Speaking of Roman history, I've been watching Historia Civilis on Youtube this week. I like his style, I really like how he lays out historical battles and discusses tactics and provides visual aids for them. But there's so much bad history out there, I wanted to ask if any one who actually knows poo poo about Rome has seen them and can comment on his accuracy.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

edit: both of those data sets together gave me a cool idea while I was going to sleep last night, which is that if you find some unidentified 17th century bones now we have a way to (extremely roughly, and not foolproof) tell if they were soldiers or not. Someone who ate a lot of meat, had recurrent sinus problems or nose problems, and more parasites than usual, might be a soldier.

Question for you and the other people in the thread who do research: How do you keep this kind of inference from becoming circular?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

As the opposing pike block enters into engagement range, a louse crawls into the man's left eye

Better than still glowing gun powder particles.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OneTruePecos posted:

Question for you and the other people in the thread who do research: How do you keep this kind of inference from becoming circular?
i talk to people who aren't me frequently and use multiple clues to point me toward an idea, not just one. also when i have a conjecture in my writing i make sure to say that it is one

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

i talk to people who aren't me frequently

Sounds pretty extreme, definitely re-affirms my decision to go into IT. Thanks!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Is it the lice themselves that have scraped lines into people's skulls or just the fact that they would have been scratching like crazy 24/7

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

OneTruePecos posted:

Leaving the lice aside, and I know it's played out, but can we talk about this bullshit for just a minute:

How is this a word, German language? It's OK for "inflammation of the oral mucous membranes" to be a phrase, it doesn't need to be one loving word.

On the other hand it makes phrase boundaries that much easier to determine.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

OneTruePecos posted:

Seems pretty simple to me.

Mund - Mouth
schleim - mucus
haut -skin
entzündungen - inflammation

A lot of German words are just combining multiple words to describe something else. Baumwolle is cotton, for example, and the literally translation would be tree (baum) wool (wolle). Or the word Krankwagen (ambulance) which is Krank (sick) and Wagen (wagon/car/cart) combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Why was Hans Rudel allowed to return to West Germany and even run for office in 1953 despite being an unrepentant Nazi who had helped Nazi war criminals escape justice?