Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Harold McGee’s On Food and Cooking is pretty much the bible on the subject.

Starting there I did some digging and have the following on a list:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/000817914X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1491928050/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1933615982/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0393081087/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0340831499/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Slightly ironically includes the Cook's Illustrated book by America's Test Kitchen but hey it seems to be what I'm gunning for.

Any other thoughts out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The Food Lab book is more along the lines of the ATK book---the `we thought up five different ways to do this recipe off the top of our heads and we tried them all and are calling that science' thing. If you're considering that at all, then the most magisterial of cooking manuals in that style is Myhrvold's Modernist Cuisine. There's a bunch of that kitchen empiricism thing in it, but a lot more actual science as well.

If there's a specific subject you're interested in and want to really dig down into the nuts and bolts science you're really better off searching for recent journal articles on the subject. This, incidentally is true of many fields of science, not just food science.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SubG posted:

Myhrvold's Modernist Cuisine

OK that's just something from Harry Potroast.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll bump those to the bottom of the queue as what I'm *really* after is a grounding in the systemic underpinnings of cooking, at least to begin with.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just get Larousse, read it, and then you will know all the basics. It has a combination of history, science and recipes and is really the only cookbook I ever use.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

We do increasingly, but they're hard to find outside of big cities and the products are horrendously expensive. I'm sure I've seen Lucky Charms selling for over Ł5 a box.

I just saw something that recommended Rich Teas? But they are the shittest biscuit.

sounds perfect. Graham crackers are the shittiest baked good and were originally designed to be so bland they'd cure your mental issues. They're mostly structural.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Based on vague memory of smores in California I'd say Rich Tea biscuits are not too far off.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Just get Larousse, read it, and then you will know all the basics. It has a combination of history, science and recipes and is really the only cookbook I ever use.
Larousse is great, but while it is a general reference on history, science, and recipes it's not really the text I'd go to if I had narrow questions about food history, food science, or a specific recipe.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I bought a couple sticks of pepperoni thinking they'd be good for snacking on. Turns out whole pepperoni is actually rather hard. :downs: What else can I do with whole sticks of pepperoni besides slicing them thin (which is a little bit of a pain)? The original idea was to chop it into larger pieces and snack on those, but that might not work out.

I heard that cooking with cured meats was something we should do more often? Is that like cooking a stew with chorizo or salami in it or something?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pollyanna posted:

I bought a couple sticks of pepperoni thinking they'd be good for snacking on. Turns out whole pepperoni is actually rather hard. :downs: What else can I do with whole sticks of pepperoni besides slicing them thin (which is a little bit of a pain)? The original idea was to chop it into larger pieces and snack on those, but that might not work out.

I heard that cooking with cured meats was something we should do more often? Is that like cooking a stew with chorizo or salami in it or something?

I like using pepperoni for risotto cut up into 1/4" chunks or so and fry them up a bit so they release oil and then sautee the onions in that then go on with the rest of the recipe. It does nice especially if you use peas then you get a nice counterpart to a sweet smushy pea vs a salty oily bit of pepperoni.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

That Works posted:

I like using pepperoni for risotto cut up into 1/4" chunks or so and fry them up a bit so they release oil and then sautee the onions in that then go on with the rest of the recipe. It does nice especially if you use peas then you get a nice counterpart to a sweet smushy pea vs a salty oily bit of pepperoni.

Or into scrambled eggs.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I bought some jam at the grocery store to eat at work. Do I HAVE to keep it in the fridge? It would much less of a hassle for me to just keep it in my desk than walk every day to the other end of the building for the fridge.

It's this one here. The "less sugar, more fruit" thing makes me a bit suspicious of its room-temperature-keeping ability...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Most commercial jams need to be refrigerated once opened. Especially ones like the one posted, as I would bet that 1/3 less sugar is due to using some artificial sweeteners. Part of why jams are a good way of storing fruit historically is because the high sugar content inhibits bacterial growth. That doesn't really work for artificially sweetened jellies and jams. It also doesn't stop fungi, so eventually any opened jam will mold, no matter the sugar content.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Most commercial jams need to be refrigerated once opened. Especially ones like the one posted, as I would bet that 1/3 less sugar is due to using some artificial sweeteners. Part of why jams are a good way of storing fruit historically is because the high sugar content inhibits bacterial growth. That doesn't really work for artificially sweetened jellies and jams. It also doesn't stop fungi, so eventually any opened jam will mold, no matter the sugar content.

Alright it's in the fridge, thanks.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Strawberry has a pretty high acid level, so it's more shelf stable then others, but yeah, ALL jam/jelly is supposed to refrigerated after opening.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Talking about food safety. I made some brining liquid with water, salt, maple syrup, peppercorns, rosemary and garlic. How long can I keep the leftover* liquid in the fridge?

*Leftover as in was not used, not as in bottled it after taking the meat out.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Powdered garlic or fresh?

How much salt?

Did you boil it first?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Used the recipe here: 2 quarts water, 1/3 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 4 cloves garlic. Bring to a boil, 1 minute, then let it cool down.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I apparently forgot to clean out my rice cooker after the last time I made rice. I found this out after I noticed a bunch of fruit flies hovering around it. Larvae and rotten rice inside. I sprayed the poo poo out of the bowl with a garden hose and scrubbed it a ton with soap and water. There's nothing left on there,but it still smells like vinegar. Is there anything I can do, or am I going to need a new cooker?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I apparently forgot to clean out my rice cooker after the last time I made rice. I found this out after I noticed a bunch of fruit flies hovering around it. Larvae and rotten rice inside. I sprayed the poo poo out of the bowl with a garden hose and scrubbed it a ton with soap and water. There's nothing left on there,but it still smells like vinegar. Is there anything I can do, or am I going to need a new cooker?

Give it a whirl with some barkeepers friend and a brillo pad or something. Should be fine. Or scrub it out with a pad and some baking soda.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Does Barkeeper's friend mess up nonstick coatings? The rice cooker my friend had came with a good nonstick coating (a zojirushi so maybe less expensive ones don't).

Heating it up and letting it air out may drive off some of it. Maybe alcohol? Sometimes attacking it with different solvents can help.

I'd be more worried about the top seal and the steam escape vents, they have more convolutions and tend to be made out of plastic/rubber and would absorb more than metal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Barkeepers Friend is an abrasive, don't use it in nonsticks

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Does Barkeeper's friend mess up nonstick coatings? The rice cooker my friend had came with a good nonstick coating (a zojirushi so maybe less expensive ones don't).

Heating it up and letting it air out may drive off some of it. Maybe alcohol? Sometimes attacking it with different solvents can help.

I'd be more worried about the top seal and the steam escape vents, they have more convolutions and tend to be made out of plastic/rubber and would absorb more than metal.
I've only owned two Zojirushi rice cookers but on both of them the vent apparatus on the lid was modular and removable. So if it got all gunked up you could pop it out and soak it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

rgocs posted:

Used the recipe here: 2 quarts water, 1/3 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 4 cloves garlic. Bring to a boil, 1 minute, then let it cool down.

It's fine in the fridge for a few days.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Steve Yun posted:

Barkeepers Friend is an abrasive, don't use it in nonsticks

did not know this somehow thank you

So I found a couple pounds of pork cheeks hiding in my freezer and was looking for a quick pressure cooker or otherwise recipe I can use for dinner tonight. Was thinking of making chili verde but would love other suggestions.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Don't use Brillo on nonstick either.

And, life lesson, whatever maggots have gotten into should be thrown out. You can probably buy just an insert so you don't have to rebuy the machine.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's fine in the fridge for a few days.
Cool, thanks. Was there for a week, used it last night. Not dead with botulism yet!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Jay Carney posted:

did not know this somehow thank you

So I found a couple pounds of pork cheeks hiding in my freezer and was looking for a quick pressure cooker or otherwise recipe I can use for dinner tonight. Was thinking of making chili verde but would love other suggestions.

Recently braised some pork cheeks in cider. Trimmed them, seasoned them, browned them then drowned them with a big can of cider. Added star anise and a couple of thai chillies. Braised for about an hour and a half on the stove top (no pressure cooker which would obviously cut the time immensely). Removed the cheeks and allowed to cool. Meanwhile softened some onion, garlic and fennel. Added the strained braising liquid and reduced it, adding a little sugar and cider vinegar as well as seasoning with salt and pepper. Reheated the cheeks in the gravy and served with succotash. Was very very good.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

What can I do about tiny soft bones in fish cooked whole?

I'm trying to branch out with cooking fish since growing up my family never ate more than the occasional salmon fillet. Tonight I made red cooked carp. It was really delicious, and I was able to remove the spine and the larger firm bones that lifted out with it, but I was left with a ton of soft, translucent cartilage-y bones under an inch long in seemingly every tasty bite. Was I too indelicate removing the skeleton? Do I just suck it up and get used to picking these out of each morsel?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Carp has a reputation for being super bony. You might just prefer a different fish when you're cooking whole fish.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
What are peoples' oven cooking strategies for baby back ribs? I've got to do enough for 40 people this weekend, and although I'm not really a rib guy, I'm pretty convinced after 3 test racks that theres no way to screw them up too bad. I'm planning to do 310F in foil for 1-1.5 hours, then 500 uncovered until they're nice and browned.

The testers were all nice and tender. Lower heat (250F) for longer was like pulled pork tender, while 350F had a nicer texture, but seemed too fatty in the end, almost like not enough of it had rendered out.

Am I better off going uncovered for longer to get the less fatty but still juicy and tender results I want?

EDIT: also am I going to be good parcooking these a day ahead in foil and then browning them while bringing them up to temp at the same time? Or should I just do it all that morning.

The one true heezy fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 27, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The one true heezy posted:

What are peoples' oven cooking strategies for baby back ribs? I've got to do enough for 40 people this weekend, and although I'm not really a rib guy, I'm pretty convinced after 3 test racks that theres no way to screw them up too bad. I'm planning to do 310F in foil for 1-1.5 hours, then 500 uncovered until they're nice and browned.

The testers were all nice and tender. Lower heat (250F) for longer was like pulled pork tender, while 350F had a nicer texture, but seemed too fatty in the end, almost like not enough of it had rendered out.

Am I better off going uncovered for longer to get the less fatty but still juicy and tender results I want?

EDIT: also am I going to be good parcooking these a day ahead in foil and then browning them while bringing them up to temp at the same time? Or should I just do it all that morning.

You can do either / or on that. I also like around 300F for 1.5 hours (2 hours if I want them falling off the bone, but that can be harder to prep and serve) and then finish them on the gas grill. As far as fat rendering, the gas grill flares them up pretty good and seems to take care of more of that. I'd imagine you could do them in the oven at 400 uncovered for a little longer on a rack to let more of the fat get out then flip on the broiler for a few minutes to finish.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do you plan on doing different sauces/rubs?

I usually do one with a sweet sauce, one with a mustard/vinegar sauce, and one dry rub then I just put out all the barbecue sauces I have so people can dip

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Binging with Babish did a take on Freddy's ribs from House of Cards. He does a proper smoke on a grill but also does oven ribs which look like they turned out pretty well. Might be worth checking out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uHhKAjnvNc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grocery store had a ridiculous sale on beef bottom round, I have two of them that are about 4 pounds each, not much marbling at all.

Any ideas on something to do with these that's not just roast beef or beef stew? Those are my go-to's and I love them, but hoping to have fun trying something else. Preferably a recipe that doesn't require me to grind them as I don't have the tools for that on hand.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Grocery store had a ridiculous sale on beef bottom round, I have two of them that are about 4 pounds each, not much marbling at all.

Any ideas on something to do with these that's not just roast beef or beef stew? Those are my go-to's and I love them, but hoping to have fun trying something else. Preferably a recipe that doesn't require me to grind them as I don't have the tools for that on hand.

Make jerky

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Might do that for one of them, thanks! Anything else that I can eat within the next day or so meal-wise?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Might do that for one of them, thanks! Anything else that I can eat within the next day or so meal-wise?

You could slice it real thin, marinate if you want, then grill for sandwich meat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Cut up and stir fry.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cut off a nice pound steak of it, marinate in worcestershire sauce, italian dressing, and soy sauce overnight, grill rare for a passable London Broil style steak that you can slice thin across the grain for cheese steak sandwiches and adding to pho or ramen style noodle soups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

That Works posted:

Sauerbraten (though I guess it's a type of pot roast).