Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
So I've been doing a lot of randos because there's never anyone in the cabal on who wants to do elites. Most of the time, they go okay - we wipe here and there, but overall it's fine.

(I've met two honest-to-Frith Pay2Win tanks while PUGging, by the way... full mid-leveled orange gear with matching glyphs and sigils. Both were terrible players. I know it's a cliche but drat. They stood in the bad - which they could survive, kind of, given their twenty-thousand hit points.)

But one thing I've noticed is the holy mother of poo poo level of toxicity in some of the PUGs. Most often, it's the healer. Sometimes the DPS. Once or twice, the tank. But god drat, people are vile. Moreso than I remember in other MMOs. Is this just bad luck of the draw (over ~100 PUGs) or is there a reason for it?

One of the theories I came up with is that since a single mistake by anyone == group wipe, people are way more tetchy in general.

Anyone else notice this?

Also is there another cabal somewhere that has more players?

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Character bound. Items bought with Third Age tokens are as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thursday Next posted:

So I've been doing a lot of randos because there's never anyone in the cabal on who wants to do elites. Most of the time, they go okay - we wipe here and there, but overall it's fine.

(I've met two honest-to-Frith Pay2Win tanks while PUGging, by the way... full mid-leveled orange gear with matching glyphs and sigils. Both were terrible players. I know it's a cliche but drat. They stood in the bad - which they could survive, kind of, given their twenty-thousand hit points.)

But one thing I've noticed is the holy mother of poo poo level of toxicity in some of the PUGs. Most often, it's the healer. Sometimes the DPS. Once or twice, the tank. But god drat, people are vile. Moreso than I remember in other MMOs. Is this just bad luck of the draw (over ~100 PUGs) or is there a reason for it?

One of the theories I came up with is that since a single mistake by anyone == group wipe, people are way more tetchy in general.

Anyone else notice this?

Classic TSW pugs were pretty toxic too far as I recall.

Really, it's like that in most games where everyone is personal advancement focused and only reluctantly work with other people because they're forced to.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

DancingShade posted:

Classic TSW pugs were pretty toxic too far as I recall.

Really, it's like that in most games where everyone is personal advancement focused and only reluctantly work with other people because they're forced to.

Yeah, that kind of thing really isn't that different from any other MMO (or multiplayer game in general). People who are Dunning-Kruger incarnate that think they run the show. Hang with people you know and trust or tell them if they're going to salt then you're going to leave. Luckily this isn't poo poo like Everquest and WoW where doing so would get you blacklisted from higher content.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I've had a few super bad runs as well. People are just poo poo.

What time zone are you playing in? We've seen some elite runs yesterday/today during most of the day, but if you're in eurotime or something, it might be harder. I think some people are just leveling casually or going f2p so it's slower to build gear.

Please, people, we need more healers. So many healers.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Can I get a guild invite for Sacrosanta, please.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Thursday Next posted:

Anyone else notice this?

This doesn't answer your question at all, but it reminds me of when I used to run nightmares in the old game. I would always hold out for the "laid back" or "newb runs" because f those guys that took the game too seriously and would quit after the 2nd wipe no matter when it came.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Richard M Nixon posted:

There is a drat good reason healers are rare.

I did plenty back in the days of other-MMO raiding, some in KMMOs, some in classic TSW and I'm never touching it again. Even when things go well because you're focused on the party/raid more than the boss you quickly notice everyone being a complete fuckup and it's frustrating as hell.

Not to mention all your healer gear is worthless outside of group content.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Not going to lie, but I am enjoying Fists for the healing/Damage versatility. Depending on what needed I can pop the appropriate rage skill and drop a bunch of damage or heals whenever is needed. So much more fun that Blades.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've had a few super bad runs as well. People are just poo poo.

What time zone are you playing in? We've seen some elite runs yesterday/today during most of the day, but if you're in eurotime or something, it might be harder. I think some people are just leveling casually or going f2p so it's slower to build gear.

I've had the exact opposite experience and the PUGS ive found are fun. Its a quick 15-30 minute run in an elite.

Also I apologize to everyone today for my dungeon runs where my internet crashed, TSW crashed with a black screen and a run where I had to bail on the final boss fight due to work.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

DancingShade posted:

There is a drat good reason healers are rare.

I did plenty back in the days of other-MMO raiding, some in KMMOs, some in classic TSW and I'm never touching it again. Even when things go well because you're focused on the party/raid more than the boss you quickly notice everyone being a complete fuckup and it's frustrating as hell.

Not to mention all your healer gear is worthless outside of group content.

I used to do raid heals too in other MMOs and while everyone said I was drat good at it, my stress level was through the roof to where I really wouldn't be surprised if it contributed towards my eventual hypertension blowout and hospitalization. It burnt me out bad with doing my damnedest to keep everyone up because no one loving dies on my watch and really being limited outside of a group because I was a healer. Giving it up did wonders for my blood pressure and I wouldn't go back to it even if my fiance was begging and sweetalking me to convince me otherwise.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

M_Sinistrari posted:

I used to do raid heals too in other MMOs and while everyone said I was drat good at it, my stress level was through the roof to where I really wouldn't be surprised if it contributed towards my eventual hypertension blowout and hospitalization. It burnt me out bad with doing my damnedest to keep everyone up because no one loving dies on my watch and really being limited outside of a group because I was a healer. Giving it up did wonders for my blood pressure and I wouldn't go back to it even if my fiance was begging and sweetalking me to convince me otherwise.

Sorry you went through all that. Really.

Take a note folks: don't be the healer.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I remember when I played Secret World that I got my faction mission fairly early. But I'm all the way into Blue Mountain and on part 16 of Endless Night and haven't gotten a notice yet.

Is that normal? Did they change when you get faction missions?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

theblackw0lf posted:

I remember when I played Secret World that I got my faction mission fairly early. But I'm all the way into Blue Mountain and on part 16 of Endless Night and haven't gotten a notice yet.

Is that normal? Did they change when you get faction missions?

Yes. Faction missions aren't in game yet. They're doing something with them first, I guess.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

To be fair, some of those folks doing PUG elites after only a week or so are probably insufferable poopsockers.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

What would you even buy off the AH to get full orange gear this early into the game

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Kessel posted:

What would you even buy off the AH to get full orange gear this early into the game

If you whaled hard on Caches, you could turn their tokens into extra purples (and the ones you got from caches) and then use those/AH items to get purples to max and combine them?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Wouldn't that require whaling on the order of a few thousand dollars

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kessel posted:

Let me tell you about whales.

(these Agartha gamble boxes probably made Funcom some serious bank)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kessel posted:

Never underestimate the formula of No Patience + Spending Cash + Wants it All x Gambler's Fallacy. People lose their minds when it comes to lockboxes pure and simple.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I did raid healing and raid tanking, and i'd go back to tanking well before i'd go back to healing. I'm debating switching over to hammer just because blade is so...meh. It's fine for soloing, but the chi mechanic is a pain that I find myself watching that as much as anything else and the moment you have to move and spend a few seconds of not hitting then you're back to doing mediocre damage in a dungeon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Remember that the first rule of tanking is always: blame the healer if something goes wrong.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

Offhand, does anyone know if the clothes bought through the dressing room for marks/aurum is account bound or character bound? I know it's already gender specific.

Character bound. I tested already.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tallgeese posted:

Remember that the first rule of tanking is always: blame the healer if something goes wrong.

To be fair in the old game there were times that worked. You'd get healers who loved to overheal during phases where nobody could hit the boss and he would go right for their fleshy meat parts

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Since hopefully my timing's better than last time, can I get a cabal invite for Sacrosanta, please.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Still need one?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I'm good now. So you all can see my shame in how much I play this game in total.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
What would be the best healing weapon to pick up as my third weapon? I've been leveling as shotgun/hammer, but if there's one that is a good standalone weapon I'd kind of like to try healing dungeons eventually. Additionally, how many pieces of your gear should be heal pieces?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

El Cid posted:

What would be the best healing weapon to pick up as my third weapon? I've been leveling as shotgun/hammer, but if there's one that is a good standalone weapon I'd kind of like to try healing dungeons eventually. Additionally, how many pieces of your gear should be heal pieces?

I don't know about transitioning, but going full-on healer will want full healing gear and weapons.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

El Cid posted:

Fist seems like it could serve as healing weapon along with shotgun/hammer.

Shotgun in particular has the only %-based group heal in the game, a 25% heal, at that. It can fill in hammer's role as secondary solo DPS if you want to build experience in it just replacing like for like.

You will want full healing gear for healing. If you don't mind taking up bag space and just use like-for-like while leveling, you should have an OK set of healing gear by top level.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Ran into a fist guy who can crit for over 160k in Shambala. If you've never been into the pvp zone before healers/dps have about 155k and tanks have 175k. He was doing some sort of set up before hand but I don't know enough about fists at all. Probably had some other debuffs/buffs going on because other guys were hitting me too. The big hit came from ferocity, so I assume it was stacking a bunch of bleeds, hitting a passive slotted primal instinct and splattering me with ferocity?

Harrower fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 24, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

So some of TSW's old PvP build jankiness still remains? Glad to hear.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Wow the Tyler Freeborn quest line is incredible.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

theblackw0lf posted:

It's everything I dreamed TSW could be. Bring your friends.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah... yeah, it really is. Don't get too optimistic though, it's all down from there.

Digital Decay
Dec 16, 2007
Reiteration #6,637,776,216
In the Dusty Dark was really great.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The game is really in its element during sections like Tyler Freeborn, where it's channeling its "hosed from page one" vibe

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Amante posted:

Yeah... yeah, it really is. Don't get too optimistic though, it's all down from there.

The secret agent themed series was pretty great too.

Pity it was followed by that Venetian scenario bullshit that was pure filler before Tokyo came out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Amante posted:

So some of TSW's old PvP build jankiness still remains? Glad to hear.

Basically don't play the PVP in this game, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Stanley Pain posted:

Basically don't play the PVP in this game, ever.

Don't play the PVP in this game to win, ever.

Reportedly the rewards for losing are worthwhile.