Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Vanrushal posted:

This kinda blows my mind a little bit because iirc the very first pilot segment, literally the introduction to the game, tells you that you can aim with rs while shooting, and hacking is basically the same thing as pilot mode except all you can do is shoot. How do you not connect those dots? :psyduck:

The problem is that you are never forced to move and aim. People don't really internalise things until they do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also the standard 3D gameplay pushes you away from that because you lock on to enemies, hold the shoot button, and move your body while the shots angle themselves. You don't have to use the right stick at all while shooting unless you're not locked on. In the 2D space it becomes counter-intuitive when you're used to that because it doesn't work that way anymore.

That doesn't excuse not knowing you can do it since the game does tell you basically immediately, but it does excuse forgetting you can imo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the reddit for this game has finally devolved into deviantart

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I just finished the main story, still got a few quests to clean up (mostly of the scour the whole game variety (eat a dick 4S)) and bad ends to track down, but I've got some thoughts.

Firstly, Ending E was the single greatest video game experience of my life, and I'm sure this feeling will remain for at least a few days.

More importantly, if YoRHa was created to convince all other androids that humans were still alive and on the moon and then be wiped out so nobody could ever learn that humanity is a lie, then who created Project YoRHa? Has to be other androids because my boy Emil would not be down for that poo poo. So was it the handful of Android's living on the moon? Kinda defeats the purpose of the purge unless they have no intention of ever interacting with the androids on Earth again. Kind of a dick move for a computer, but I suppose considering what they did to the Devolas and Popolas it checks out for androids being dicks.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So do higher difficulties actually give consequence to combat or do things just hit harder? Combat (and a lot of other stuff) feels distinctly like Phantasy Start Online 2. Just mash any attack until you see an attack cue then use your dodge with like for seconds of iframes.

I'm still early in the game but I'm already to the point that combat is so unengaging I'm tempted to put it on easy with Auto everything to save myself the trouble.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Vanrushal posted:

This kinda blows my mind a little bit because iirc the very first pilot segment, literally the introduction to the game, tells you that you can aim with rs while shooting, and hacking is basically the same thing as pilot mode except all you can do is shoot. How do you not connect those dots? :psyduck:

By "shooting segments" I include hacking, btw.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It was only a matter of time before reddit's fanart cancer spread to all of my favorite games like SMT, P5, and finally Nier.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ZiegeDame posted:

I just finished the main story, still got a few quests to clean up (mostly of the scour the whole game variety (eat a dick 4S)) and bad ends to track down, but I've got some thoughts.

Firstly, Ending E was the single greatest video game experience of my life, and I'm sure this feeling will remain for at least a few days.

More importantly, if YoRHa was created to convince all other androids that humans were still alive and on the moon and then be wiped out so nobody could ever learn that humanity is a lie, then who created Project YoRHa? Has to be other androids because my boy Emil would not be down for that poo poo. So was it the handful of Android's living on the moon? Kinda defeats the purpose of the purge unless they have no intention of ever interacting with the androids on Earth again. Kind of a dick move for a computer, but I suppose considering what they did to the Devolas and Popolas it checks out for androids being dicks.

Wasn't the purpose of YoRHa just to collect combat data so they could create bigger and badder androids? They wouldn't fight to collect data if they knew humanity was dead by design.

As for the other androids outside of YoRHa, they might not be dedicated to the survival of mankind, and are just trying to survive among the machines.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ZiegeDame posted:

It's all in the Nier concert of all things. The original plan was just to have the fake humans but even that plan's creator doubted it'd work. Then the nutcase original No. 9 killed him, hijacked the project and added the bit about YoRHa all getting killed off at a set expiration date.

The androids on the moon don't actually even know they're maintaining the moonbase. They think they're manning a remote underwater base and the pods never let them outside, if they find out the pods kill them and boot up a copy with its memory wiped.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Nina posted:

It's all in the Nier concert of all things. The original plan was just to have the fake humans but even that plan's creator doubted it'd work. Then the nutcase original No. 9 killed him, hijacked the project and added the bit about YoRHa all getting killed off at a set expiration date.

The androids on the moon don't actually even know they're maintaining the moonbase. They think they're manning a remote underwater base and the pods never let them outside, if they find out the pods kill them and boot up a copy with its memory wiped.

Where was this from? I'm still trying to collect everything in the database.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Over There posted:

Where was this from? I'm still trying to collect everything in the database.

http://mintychu.dreamwidth.org/tag/script

Here's a translation

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Yoko Taro wrote up small scripts that were read throughout the Nier concerts. you can find an english reading by 2B and 9S voice actors on youtube.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Nina posted:

This is something I'm still a bit fuzzy on. In the script it seems that the new YoRHa Androids were already at the prototype phase before Zinnia even conceived of the fake Council of Humanity. I've seen some mentions of a Next Generation project in the SS Classified documents you find in the Tower Library, so I believe that the YoRHa Androids were originally just part of a plan to fast-track development on better Androids.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

i am tim! posted:

This is something I'm still a bit fuzzy on. In the script it seems that the new YoRHa Androids were already at the prototype phase before Zinnia even conceived of the fake Council of Humanity. I've seen some mentions of a Next Generation project in the SS Classified documents you find in the Tower Library, so I believe that the YoRHa Androids were originally just part of a plan to fast-track development on better Androids.

The next generation special forces or whatever were A2's generation of androids that came after Zinnia's prototypes

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

Yoko Taro wrote up small scripts that were read throughout the Nier concerts. you can find an english reading by 2B and 9S voice actors on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0y083mMHA

I saw this for the first time a week ago. This is neat. It was really cool of them to do this. They don't just read it. They actually act it and get emotional. They take it seriously. Had I known that, I wouldn't have waited a month to click on it. I thought they would just be reading it.

All of this should have been in the game. This would make for a great DLC.

Oh yeah, don't click until you've seen all the endings.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 24, 2017

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Oh I see. So YoRHa models were specifically the only ones with the black boxes made from machine cores due to their existence being born to die from the start. So the other androids treated them like machines, without a "heart". God this story gets more and more hosed up looking into it.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

some guy on the bus posted:

I saw this for the first time a week ago. This is neat. It was really cool of them to do this. They don't just read it. They actually act it and get emotional. They take it seriously. Had I known that, I wouldn't have waited a month to click on it. I thought they would just be reading it.
They were doing this for unvoiced lines in their streamed playthrough as well (as long as they were present, turns out they're pretty busy), even for other characters. Obviously a bit more improv performances but still pretty neat.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

some guy on the bus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0y083mMHA

All of this should have been in the game. This would make for a great DLC.

Oh yeah, don't click until you've seen all the endings.

I was putting off watching it because of the total runtime. I’m a few minutes in, and this is absurdly well done. They also have all the readings separated into their individual acts if you’d prefer to watch the videos with clear stopping points.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh god you have to play as 9S again 😩

and again 😭

Just go away already

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 25, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You have only yourself to blame

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So I just finished the game again after getting the DLC, and I'm around level 65. I've hit a brick wall with progression in the arenas though, so I'd like to do some grinding, but the bunny was apparently changed in a patch? What's the best way to wake him up now, or is there a better way to grind?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So I just finished the game again after getting the DLC, and I'm around level 65. I've hit a brick wall with progression in the arenas though, so I'd like to do some grinding, but the bunny was apparently changed in a patch? What's the best way to wake him up now, or is there a better way to grind?

Beat the poo poo out of it as 9S until it wakes up is what I did. It took awhile but it was worth it because I got like ten levels from it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Wait until like level 80 to kill the bunny to get you to 99. It still gives the xp, you just can't immediately hack it.

Until then your best bet is one of the infinite enemy arenas like desert housing

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Is there an indication for when someone prays for you? I don't think I've seen anything.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Nina posted:

Wait until like level 80 to kill the bunny to get you to 99. It still gives the xp, you just can't immediately hack it.

Until then your best bet is one of the infinite enemy arenas like desert housing

Doesn't the Copied City have higher level enemies?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Keep hitting it until it wakes up and this is how I got to lvl 99 just for the arena. No regrets at all.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Alder posted:

Keep hitting it until it wakes up and this is how I got to lvl 99 just for the arena. No regrets at all.

This worked, a +Crit weapon and triple bombs helped. Honestly it ended up being faster than the old hack robot then hack bunny method, which could be really janky.

I beat the arenas and got the DLC Plato ending content, and, uh, I'm still not really sure what to make of it

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, DLC? What's that?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, DLC? What's that?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/580600/NieRAutomata__3C3C1D119440927/

Three arenas, new costumes and cosmetic items (hair dye, masks, etc), and even some story content.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ignore me. I'm an idiot.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 26, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Okay

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just beat it, of course it was amazing even if I didn't quite grasp everything at the time, but one question.

If I lost a helper hacker (or 4) during the Ending E credits... I assume I killed that helper permanently and forever and now no one else can ever get that specific hacker/ship again? If so, RIP

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kibayasu posted:

Just beat it, of course it was amazing even if I didn't quite grasp everything at the time, but one question.

If I lost a helper hacker (or 4) during the Ending E credits... I assume I killed that helper permanently and forever and now no one else can ever get that specific hacker/ship again? If so, RIP

You did, yes, their save file was deleted as yours will be when you eventually help someone do the same. But they fudge it a little bit, not all of the helpers are real people because then one person could just go through over and over and empty the lot if they really felt like being a jerk.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kibayasu posted:

I lost easily a dozen or two helpers.. So don't feel bad!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And if the thread will indulge some sappiness for a moment while its fresh, I don't think there's been a more affecting song for me as "Weight of the World" (and all its variations) since Adagio for Strings in Homeworld. And much like how Homeworld used that one track for the triumphant launch of the Mothership after generations of struggle and sacrifice, followed by the tragic razing of Kharak destroying nearly all of it in an instant, and finally for the bittersweet return to Hiigara after losing so much I don't just mean "sadness" or "crying" but such a range of emotions that it's impossible to pin a single emotion to it. Something like crying when you're incredibly happy and relieved to put it a bit simply.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You did, yes, their save file was deleted as yours will be when you eventually help someone do the same. But they fudge it a little bit, not all of the helpers are real people because then one person could just go through over and over and empty the lot if they really felt like being a jerk.

I'm pretty sure the helpers just don't get deleted from the network when they get deleted. They're all "real", but you don't prevent other people from running into them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm pretty sure the helpers just don't get deleted from the network when they get deleted. They're all "real", but you don't prevent other people from running into them.

That would make sense, and be a pretty smart solution, so let's hope they did that!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Everyone loses more helpers than they add to the pool so it's certain while they disappear from having the chance to help you again they still remain in the actual pool of players it pulls helpers from

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
UUGGGHHH why do they invalidate the two quests by the ocean before I can go there?

How am I supposed to realize that this breaks the quests? I can't remember which pipe is which and now I'll have to redo them AGAIN in playthrough 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Deceitful Penguin posted:

UUGGGHHH why do they invalidate the two quests by the ocean before I can go there?

How am I supposed to realize that this breaks the quests? I can't remember which pipe is which and now I'll have to redo them AGAIN in playthrough 3.

Good? news, you can't access them anymore in playthrough 3