Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
These control tricks are blowing my freakin mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

Another neat control thing you can do that isn't signposted is you can hold Triangle while pressing up when selling large amounts of items and it will instantly select all of that item's number to sell.

Oh for fucks sake

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The White Dragon posted:

i dunno if they changed this in the hd remake, but in the original he was basically useless because his ult is blue magic, and the monster you lancet his ultimate blue magic, supernova, from (omega) has way more hp than you can do with the drat spell.

but i guess if you really wanna boil it down, he's as effective as anyone else because after a while it ends up that all you do is cast quick hit a thousand times to kill anything and everything

Tbf I never looked into if FFX international or HD rebalanced anything. I heard someone in this thread mention that Quick Hit got nerfed but that's all I know, so it is possible something is amiss from the original.

As for the run I was talking about in particular, they got by on the Overdrive part using Kimahri's Fire Breath which was using his magic stat as the base. It ended up being the 2nd post power non-Aeon non-Mix overdrive the player had up till Zanarkand (could've maybe been before, but he kept loving up Wakka's attack reels), but of note this player didn't get to use Tidus/Auron's last 2 overdrives. I wonder if this would've balanced out if they did post-game stuff, but they didn't so oh well.

For perspective, this run was from someone who had never completed a mainline FF game so he didn't have prior knowledge, never did any grinding, and didn't abuse Aeons until Braska's Final Aeon. So I guess my point is, if you're doing a "normal" run in that manner where you don't reach to break the game, then Kimahri can be quite good, but once you know how to break everything properly Kimahri can't keep up with the others.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

I'm playing FFXII and the combat doesn't feel great in this either.

Like, I can make some simple gambits that make the game play itself. This basically means that I ignore like 90% of the skills and just listen to podcasts while walking through the game at 4x speed.

When something more difficult comes along, actually giving orders manually is a massive chore and not fun at all since the game clearly isn't built for it.

The gambits don't really help either as the gambit system is actually really limited and anything but the most basic instructions are impossible to make. It really needed the ability to make if-then chains or something. It could be really fun if iterated further though.

The answer to this is to instead adjust your gambits when you get to the difficult thing.

I get it--the random encounters while exploring are unengaging. I agree completely. But what I end up having fun with is when tough hunts or boss fights come along, rather than just leaving my simple "random encounter autopilot" gambits in place, I adjust them on the spot to do the things that I find that I want to manually issue orders for. That covers a lot of what you're going to need to do in any given boss fight, and issuing the occasional order isn't nearly as big a chore.

It'd definitely suck to just leave basic gambits on and resort to 100% manual control during boss fights, but you shouldn't be doing that. Sure, you can't gambit for every single scenario, but you can cover enough that you only need to manually control once every few "turns" or so, which is a much better rhythm. My suggestion is to free yourself of the idea that gambits should ever be catch-all and, rather than just resigning yourself to micromanagement when you hit a situation they can't handle, adjust your gambits on the fly instead. While you can't set up ability chains or particularly complex logic, you can build gambits that save you from micromanaging the repetitive parts so you can focus on situational manual control.

Levantine posted:

Another neat control thing you can do that isn't signposted is you can hold Triangle while pressing up when selling large amounts of items and it will instantly select all of that item's number to sell.

what the gently caress

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 24, 2017

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Man, they really hid those quality of life quick toggle shortcuts this time around, didn't they

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The trouble is you very rarely need to adjust for bosses either, I've almost finished the game and 75% hunts done and the most I've ever had to adjust my basic 'spam attacks and heal' setup is to stop Fran attempting to steal all the time on bosses with lots of adds.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

wtf you can see flying enemies

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

The trouble is you very rarely need to adjust for bosses either, I've almost finished the game and 75% hunts done and the most I've ever had to adjust my basic 'spam attacks and heal' setup is to stop Fran attempting to steal all the time on bosses with lots of adds.

You just change whatever your black mage is set to spam to the enemy's weakness, or alternatively leave it on scathe and stop caring at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

See, that hasn't been my experience in this run-through, at least with optional hunts and Espers. Maybe it's because I've spent a lot of time doing hunts and going after Espers 20 levels higher than me right now, I guess, and I'm forgetting how easy late-game story bosses are. But so far, a lot of the hunts and every optional Esper I've fought has had me going into my gambits to adjust a few things, either right at the start of the fight or midway through.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

You can just have it do addle etc on things with high hp, you know. There's a Gambit for that.

Yeah, but as far as I can tell they just keep on casting addle and never actually attack the target.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Levantine posted:

It tells you whenever you select an item to sell.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So far the only aeon abuse I've been doing has been with farming dark flan for magic spheres. I taught Anima haste and shell, and before summoning him I use reflect + slow on the flan. After that I basically spam pain till he's dead. My Anima has 18k hp, and with shell, can survive all of its attacks without healing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Huge Manatee posted:

Yeah, but as far as I can tell they just keep on casting addle and never actually attack the target.

Gambits are pretty smart, but not smart enough to stop doing repeatable actions. Unlike status effects, the breaks can stack--you can Addle multiple times to continue lowering the target's Magick Power. So a character's just going to keep doing it if you gambit it. Luckily, they're smart enough not to recast status effects on enemies who are already inflicted with that status, at least.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Rolling over normal enemies leads to me setting up some dumb gambits that rarely get activated until I get into a tough fight and see Balthier using Infuse or something. Mostly it's Fran spamming Poach on something that's immune and even then it's easy enough to turn that one gambit off for a while or just move her out of the active party. One thing I'm not crazy about is how a person being targeted by any ability is unable to be removed from the active party, which means that if you have a Cura gambit you can get trapped with people in low health who can't be subbed out because someone is constantly trying to heal everyone. I should probably swap Cura with Curaja now that I have it on a few people, including my Knight, but :effort:

I don't play around with summoning Espers enough in this, especially since the timer was extended and I should be able to roll through a dungeon or something with an Esper out instead of saving them for boss fights. But I don't. I've used them only a few times, and the first time I did the summoner got offed almost immediately which made it a huge waste. The second time I brought Belias out against Matreus and pretty much auto-attacked to victory without even needing to heal.

I'm at the part of the game where you need to go through the Salikawood which is where all my previous runs have died. I remember it opening up a bit and there being a bunch of hunts and sidequests that you can do, which I always attempt until I lose interest in the game. I think I'm going to push through until I reach the next major town just so I can beat my pb, then worry about sweeping up some Espers and the like.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I never even noticed that tip :downs:. I just remember it worked in the original release.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Was it intended for me to beat Mateus by ignoring her spark pals and just fighting her?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

kirbysuperstar posted:

It honestly surprises me how often games put in useful text like that, only to be ignored. The shop menu's UI in 12 isn't even particularly busy either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emron posted:

Was it intended for me to beat Mateus by ignoring her spark pals and just fighting her?

That's probably a smart way to do it, honestly, if you have the DPS to take Mateus down without having to worry about the damage the elementals do.

By the way, weird fact: Mateus is male. The woman you see is a "goddess of the demesne of ice" that he attached to himself to use as a living shield. Mateus himself is the weird thing the woman is attached to. :eng101: Espers are weird as gently caress.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NikkolasKing posted:

But all the clues have dried up and I'm fumbling about looking for Locke and Strago. Nobody tell me - as I said, it's part of the mystique of a new game.
Unless they moved Strago in this hack you are going to kick yourself.

But I'm not going to spoil it, obviously. I just think it's funny that of all the WoR characters to miss you missed Strago. Maybe other people don't go to specific places in the ways I do :shobon:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I need that hint icon to cover like halve the screen for me to notice it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Guddrat entites are such dicks

I don't remember them being so temperamental--I used to be able to run right past them without issue (in NA vanilla FFXII), but now it seems like if they're anywhere near your general vicinity, they crave blood and carnage.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They go aggro if you cast spells around them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7hTxxtkq_o

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Entites are to blame for a portion of the experience imbalance in my party right now and for that reason I hate them :colbert:

I like to switch between two parties of three, switching every time one party gains a level so they stay the same level. For some reason, this playthrough, I got it into my head that each party of three should be within a kill or two of one another, experience-wise. It's stupid and there's no reason for it, so I should probably just give up on it. But when entites are around, I need to switch to a party that doesn't rely on magick for its damage or healing, and that means that I'm getting everyone's EXP unsynced, and :argh:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

You shouldn't be so anal. Relax

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is that trick to get that incredibly strong weapon early on (the dark blade or something or other?) still around? I remember having to go through mines and avoid all enemies to do it. I gave it to Penelo and turned her into a murdering machine.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Tactics Advance news:

Ritz: Sit back Marche. I got this.

Ritz spends all of the fight hopping into the river and back out and never attacks.

Marche: Good thing I helped out.
Ritz: More like you needed my help.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

seiferguy posted:

Is that trick to get that incredibly strong weapon early on (the dark blade or something or other?) still around? I remember having to go through mines and avoid all enemies to do it. I gave it to Penelo and turned her into a murdering machine.

There are lots of ways to get lots of different good weapons early but I think you mean the deathbringer sword which does still work. After Raithwall you need to get the key to get back into barheim passage by completing a sidequest chain in the estersand, then you can steal it from a rare mimic enemy a couple zones west of the save crystal.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh for fucks sake

Alternatively press left once to go to tens column and then it's just a few button presses and it will hit max of an item

Lightning Returns! Again! For the Fourth Time!

MMF Freeway posted:

There are lots of ways to get lots of different good weapons early but I think you mean the deathbringer sword which does still work. After Raithwall you need to get the key to get back into barheim passage by completing a sidequest chain in the estersand, then you can steal it from a rare mimic enemy a couple zones west of the save crystal.

I can't remember, is getting to the north of the river to get the last item for that quest story gated?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean wasn't there another final fantasy game that was known for having a car, customizing it, driving it around and stuff like that

I mean I know I'm being kinda willfully dense because Lightning is probably more popular than Noctis and crew but still c'mon

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Someone direct me to a random party generator. That poo poo could be fun on future replaysp

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Someone direct me to a random party generator. That poo poo could be fun on future replaysp

1 = white mage
2 = uhlan
3 = machinist
4 = red mage
5 = knight
6 = monk
7 = time mage
8 = foebreaker
9 = archer
10 = black mage
11 = bushi
12 = shikari

1 = vaan
2 = penelo
3 = balthier
4 = fran
5 = basch
6 = ashe

roll 3d6 then 2d12 for each char

my party rolls:
vaan - knight / whm
basch - blm / uhlan
fran - rdm / archer (!!!)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

In Tactics Advance news:

Ritz: Sit back Marche. I got this.

Ritz spends all of the fight hopping into the river and back out and never attacks.

Marche: Good thing I helped out.
Ritz: More like you needed my help.

yeah that's all the fights with AI partners

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Can I ask a question about FFT:WotL?

I wanted to get into it, and it's charming and all, but it just seems so drat grindy, so I haven't yet managed to get very far into it before getting bored.
Is it possible to beat it without grinding for leels or JP? Alternatively, is there a way to get levels and/or JP without being forced to have all your characters travel back and forth between two forgotten backwaters, throwing rocks at each other forever?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bobfly posted:

Alternatively, is there a way to get levels and/or JP without being forced to have all your characters travel back and forth between two forgotten backwaters, throwing rocks at each other forever?

Yeah, you can also have Ramza yell at himself a bunch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bobfly posted:

I wanted to get into it, and it's charming and all, but it just seems so drat grindy, so I haven't yet managed to get very far into it before getting bored.
Is it possible to beat it without grinding for leels or JP? Alternatively, is there a way to get levels and/or JP without being forced to have all your characters travel back and forth between two forgotten backwaters, throwing rocks at each other forever?

The hardest part of FFT is the early part, I think, and a couple of later battles with... let's say special conditions.

That said, you shouldn't at all need to grind, or at least not much. Most of the battles in the game aren't very difficult so long as you have good ways to deal damage, and there are plenty of options for that. By the end of Chapter 2, you'll start being given really overpowered story character units and if you just stuff your party with them you'll steamroll most of the second half of the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, you can also have Ramza yell at himself a bunch.

You can also just chug potions.

Its a bad game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

You can also just chug potions.

Its a bad game.

whoa there

Bobfly posted:

yeah you don't need to grind much if you play "smart" and have your characters using skills each turn. never not shout

I played it on mobile and setup a super grinding method that used orlandeau to petrify two creatures near the corner, then lured a creature into the corner and petrified a third creature (making an L shape, trapping it in there). Then set the AI to coward and move ramza to the far edge, he should use mettle every turn without fail. It works with certain other abilities like focus too. I'm sure someone else figured this out before I did. But you can leave it on and ramza will mettle forever. I don't know if the different versions have speedup but the android one did and it was great.

e: the reason I did this was to unlock the dark knight class which is otherwise pretty impossible to get lol. You have to max out like 6 classes :wtc:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well I've finally finished 12 after 10 years, there was some stuff I liked about it and a lot of stuff I hated, unfortunately most of the actually playing the game part goes into the hated column.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my take on FFXII is:

It's one of my three favorite (numbered) Final Fantasies for story, character, and world. That list grows to four if we include Tactics.

It's one of my least favorite, gameplay-wise. Unfortunately, Zodiac Age doesn't really improve the game that much in this regard. The dual-job system coupled with the game's general reliance on gambits means that, by the end of the game, what I'm really doing is just executing plans that I made before I even started, with little actual deviation. While I do find that I have to adjust my gambits more frequently than others say they do (might just be a difference between doing a lot of optional stuff vs. sticking to the story), ultimately that's not the most engaging gameplay I could imagine.

Really, though, my favorite JRPG gameplay comes from games with really active combat systems. I don't mean "action," to be clear--I think Persona 5's combat is really "active" because of its fast, smooth pace, so there's little sitting around and waiting. I'm always making decisions and doing things. I also love turn-based combat with systems where you manipulate turn order, like FFX or Bravely Default, and I think FFX-2 is the best iteration of the ATB system ever.

I also sort of wish that FFXII had ditched linear equipment upgrades and gone with something closer to FFX, where weapons and armor are mostly situational options rather than linear power/defense upgrades. FFXII does the same thing that games like FFIX (another game I love despite a lot of weird flaws) do: you get cool pieces of equipment with interesting, or useful, features that you nonetheless outgrow because ultimately higher attack or defense is more important. Black Mage is my favorite job in FFXII specifically because its weapon choices aren't dictated by attack power and you actually have a reason to keep multiple staves around.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 24, 2017