Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

bewilderment posted:

Which NPC is the most forgotten or ignored NPC in the game?

Is it the guy who sells you Rancid Eggs despite there being way more than enough not just in the game, but in that very same area?
Or is it that the one regular bug woman locked in her house in City of Tears?

definitely the rancid egg selling lady. at least the cackling regular bug lady is memorable as she delights in the suffering of her former peers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

You don't even have to wait until the third laser. The lasers don't strike where they had just struck before. So you can start healing immediately after the 2nd laser if you get to where it hit. That usually gives you enough of a cushion in case of an unlucky bit of timing with the ground spikes.

I believe I have literally never gotten that attack in the first phase :v: (unless I remember wrong). But yes, it's one of the best moments to heal. Further observation: maybe it's confirmation bias, but to me it seems that the 3rd laser is also very unlikely to hit you exactly where the first laser landed. It's slightly more risky, but you can also go where the first laser landed and get a longer heal off, unless you get unlucky.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

What is hidden dreams

The link gives no context. Is it DLC, a content update, a mod, or what?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

What is hidden dreams

Free content pack with two new bosses, a new stag station, and a new upgrade. They posted about it on Steam a while back.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

What is hidden dreams

It is the dlc that finally makes Hollow Knight a complete game.

I'm ready to be utterly destroyed by Dream Zote

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the coliseum of fools' last challenge really is kicking my rear end

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Use nail arts in the walls only bit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kurtofan posted:

the coliseum of fools' last challenge really is kicking my rear end

Make sure your nail is maxed, the arena's the last challenge in the game.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

FrickenMoron posted:

Use nail arts in the walls only bit.

I actually had more luck when I stopped using nail arts and just went for regular slashing. Quick Slash/Longnail/Mark of Pride really helped.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i freed the snail good :downs:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Got the Steel Soul achievement today. Gonna try for Steel Heart later.

I had no idea Fragile Strength was completely loving bananas in terms of attack power, I think I was hitting harder with one nail upgrade and that charm than I was with the fully upgraded nail.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

I Said No posted:

Got the Steel Soul achievement today. Gonna try for Steel Heart later.

I had no idea Fragile Strength was completely loving bananas in terms of attack power, I think I was hitting harder with one nail upgrade and that charm than I was with the fully upgraded nail.

Off top of my head: Base nail damage is 5, you get 4 extra per upgrade. Fragile Strength is 50% bonus. So you're comparing 13.5 to 21 (or 19.5 if you accidentally meant two upgrades because people, including myself, keep forgetting the first one that doesn't cost any pale ore).

Not to let my pedantry take anything away from your point :v:. Fragile Strength is indeed really good. One incredibly satisfying moment for me in my steel heart run was when I realized I can one-shot both flying-type guards in the city of tears. And bosses also all required one third less hits to kill... I've always been a basic slash oriented player (just can't condition my finger to charge up for nail arts, and I keep missing fireballs and being disappointed) so strength + quick slash felt like really amazing dps.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I ended up beating the final boss. Grubfather's Elegy is really the way to go.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Finished the game, all bosses defeated, 31 hours.
Decent game, but not exactly goty material. There's a severe lack of benches in the game, and dying to bosses and having to spend a minute walking back through half the level every time gets really annoying really fast. There's nothing wrong with the bosses themselves, they're all really fun, but having to spend so much time walking back to them just makes it feel like the game gets off on wasting your time.

What's even worse is the two different kinds of fast travel. It means there's basically no fast travel at all to the lower half of hallownest. Why couldn't they just have put a stag station at each of the rail stations? Getting around in this game is like pulling teeth, especially late game when enemies have long since stopped being a threat.

White palace is the worst level in any game ever.

And finally, why do I have to jump through hoops to get a working map for each area, and why can't the map update until I go sit on a bench?

I thought the final boss was really hard at first, and beat my head against it for over an hour before I equipped joni's blessing, lifeblood core and shaman stone and used abyssal shriek a lot. I killed it on my second attempt with those charms. Healing is very overrated, and I can't overstate how good abyssal shriek is against that boss. It does tons of damage and the boss is perfectly positioned to get hit by it.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sounds like you're bad

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Agreed that Shriek is real good, especially against that boss. Disagreed on every other aspect :cheeky:

Glad you enjoy the game anyway though

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The lack of travel in the far-end of nowhere is thematic. You're going on an expedition into the unknown and who knows where it ends! I really liked the map system because it feels like you're exploring for reals and later you can find out what you missed. It's neat.

I didn't like the White Palace much either. It's passable if you figure out the hive/grub trick for infinite retries but there's no way anybody casual is going to be down for that.

In general, I think it would be great to have an easy mode for casual players. I know a lot of people who would love this game for its beauty and atmosphere and interesting world to explore, but definitely wouldn't enjoy it because of the crushing difficulty level.

I completed everything yesterday, except the Soul Tyrant! drat that guy is fast.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

My favourite thing about the game was constantly reaching new places and discovering new things completely organically. I haven't had this much fun exploring a world since I played Dark Souls. It all comes together so well by the end, I love it.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Spatial posted:

I completed everything yesterday, except the Soul Tyrant! drat that guy is fast.

Soul Tyrant was a motherfucker until I found out that hanging out by the right wall and playing defensively drastically reduces his difficulty. Also, remember that Fragile (Strength) charms don't break if you die in the dream rematches!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

have you considered that the white palace is in fact good?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Definitely also feeling like stacking lifeblood is the way to go for some bosses, it's just easier to damage race through the more complicated patterns.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Other than the dream bosses (including some of the warriors), the final boss, and my first pass at Mantis Lords when I was still getting to grips with the game, I can't think of any superhard bosses that would need a bunch of retries.

Apparently some people have issues with Soul Master (form 1) and both fights with Hornet which kind of boggles my mind and they're simple fights with a lot of room for healing. Hornet's only nasty trick is when she jumps in the air and AOEs, otherwise she's pretty simple.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

this checks out

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Spatial posted:

The lack of travel in the far-end of nowhere is thematic. You're going on an expedition into the unknown and who knows where it ends!

Sure, yeah, I agree. The first time. But when you have to go to the rear end-end of nowhere for the 5th time for whatever reason, it stops being thematic and starts being annoying. Especially when you go to check out a corridor or whatever that you missed the first time around (because the map didn't update until you were on a bench in the next area, so you couldn't just explore the whole area the first time you were there), and you notice it's blocked by some obstacle you don't have the tool to clear yet, so you have to go there a third time at some later point. I think by the time I was done with the game I could probably run the path from king's station to ancient basin blindfolded.

I can't think of a solid reason why you should have to hoof it all the way to the ancient basin or kingdom's edge after the first time. And I also can't think of a reason why there shouldn't be a bench outside every boss room.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, I considered that and I came to the conclusion that it is actually extremely bad.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think the White Palace is good but it doesn't come at a good point in the overall game. It's typically going to be one of the very last things you do before going on to the final boss so you're building up all of this anticipation then it's suddenly 2 hours of hard platforming unlike anything else in the game.

It'd be nice if it was mid-game and you could go out and in or whatever as you feel like.

Some end-game DLC would probably ameliorate this feeling.

edit: also I don't mind the backtracking at all in this game, it's a pleasure to go through every time and you can sometimes discover new stuff

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
good loadout for the final challenge?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

A lot of folks swear by abyssal shriek (and tbf they're right it does massive damage to the boss), so a build with high soul intake + increased spell damage suggests itself, but I like my damage to be more sustained. Mark of Pride, Quick Slash, Fragile Strength + wildcard (or something like Quick Focus if you don't want to deal with Fragile Strength). In any case I'd recommend full offence build. The longer you let the fight go on for, the more you're gonna gently caress up, and defensive bonuses won't save you.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kurtofan posted:

I'd go for Shaman Stone (***) + Fragile Strength (**) + Soul Catcher (**) + Quick Focus (***) as a flexible build.

Unless you get lucky in the second phase with positioning you'll always have to jump to hit her, meaning I don't really value Quickslash or Mark of Pride in this fight.

A Shaman Stone'd Abyss Shriek will do 120 damage and a fully upgraded nail with fragile strength will do 32 damage. If you feel like you're going to die on the first boss just quit out so fragile strength doesn't get broken.

With Shaman Stone Shade Soul can also hit her twice if you're about 2/3rds up her body.

Alternatively, you can go Grubberfly's Elegy (***) + Fragile Strength (**) + Joni's Blessing (****) + Grubsong (*) and and smack her with your sword lasers for 0.75 nail damage each.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Mymla posted:

White palace is the worst level in any game ever.

Do people just not want their posts to be taken seriously when they say stuff like this? You can't think of a worse level in any game ever? Okay then.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

So It Goes posted:

Do people just not want their posts to be taken seriously when they say stuff like this? You can't think of a worse level in any game ever? Okay then.

No, I can't, unless we're counting memegames like I wanna be the guy.
Actually yeah, white palace is what happens when someone plays I wanna be the guy and goes "This, but unironically".

loving hell, it literally has https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U64v-xamtVM playing in the background.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Yeah, WP sure was full of objects that seemed to be part of the environment but actually moved at you out of nowhere to kill you. Also so many traps that weren't there at first but popped up the moment you stepped up to surprise you /s .

"Unironically" there's fairly few similarities between IWBTG and White Palace. WP spawns you like 2 seconds back when you take a hit, and gives you a truckload of re-spawns before resetting you to the checkpoint. WP gives you a bunch more tools that IWBTG, and also gives you a lot more room to save yourself if you do gently caress up (hitting *anything* with a down-swipe attack refreshes both your dash and your double jump, which is invaluable). WP is also visually gorgeous, though I will grant you that the sound design can be viewed as flawed.

Not to mention that like two thirds of WP is skippable with fairly simple tricks if you look closely and spot the shortcuts.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It differs in the fine details, with IWBTG being intentionally made as a parody, whereas WP just happens to be poo poo, but in the end it's the same kind of tedious precision platforming as IWBTG.

That's what I mean, IWBTG is just taking the piss, whereas WP is being 100% sincere.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 24, 2017

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I did notice the lack of fast travel in the lower areas, but considering those areas are:

1) Horrible Bug Hell
2) Empty Cave Land
3) Bleak Dandruff Wilderness

It seems appropriate that there's no kind of infrastructure down there. It's only really a bother if you keep forgetting stuff down there, so it's best to do as much as possible in one pass. I'm a bit too familiar with that one vertical derelict lift shaft between City of Tears and Ancient Basin at this point.

SirSamVimes posted:

Guards $250
Gardening $ 300
Tarps $10
Sawblades $800,000
Retainers $100
someone who is good at bugs please help me budget this. my kingdom is dying

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dandruff?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mymla posted:

It differs in the fine details, with IWBTG being intentionally made as a parody, whereas WP just happens to be poo poo, but in the end it's the same kind of tedious precision platforming as IWBTG.

That's what I mean, IWBTG is just taking the piss, whereas WP is being 100% sincere.

The things he pointed out were more than fine details, but if White Palace is taking you hours then that might be a you thing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mymla posted:

No, I can't, unless we're counting memegames like I wanna be the guy.
Actually yeah, white palace is what happens when someone plays I wanna be the guy and goes "This, but unironically".

would you also say that it was the dark souls of levels

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think it's telling that nobody can describe their venomous hatred of white palace without resorting to braindead comparisons to super meat boy or iwbtg that barely work even on the most shallow, superficial level.

"its hard, its like other hard thing"

anachron
Jan 23, 2004
Game is good. White palace also good. Figuring out that you can pogo off the spears helped.

First run thru was %83 and almost 60 hours but a good # of hours were just AFK and listening to the soundtrack (especially city of tears). Really like how the soundtrack will add or subtract layers of instruments as you progress through an area.

Also really impressed by the size of the game and variety of enemies and environments. It feels at least 2x the size of Super Metroid. Looking forward to DLCs!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I Said No posted:

Guards $250
Gardening $ 300
Tarps $10
Sawblades $800,000
Retainers $100
someone who is good at bugs please help me budget this. my kingdom is dying

You might save up to 10% on Tarps by taking the torn ones. Just fill the holes with that orange goopy stuff from down the caves. Nobody will notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

personally i hated the slow progress i made, as i learned the correct sequence of moves for each section, gradually honing my skills until i could skip through sections that previously had caused me great difficulty