Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
were ditching webex for zoom

any opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

graph posted:

any opinions

never used zoom is but being better than webex is a not a high bar

then again, conference systems

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

graph posted:

any opinions

we used zoom with a vendor for the last major project. as someone who dialed into them all the time it was mostly ok. didn't care for the interface but it wasnt horrible or anything.

only actual problem is that their setup called from some common number that had been marked as a telemarketer so one day i had to whitelist it or it'd get blocked when it would call my cell.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I last used zoom a year ago, it has a little window that must be on top of all others at all times, you can't share individual windows, scaling is bad and overall it's a bit wonky

basically it's a pretty good video chat system with bad usability

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

this isn't about conference calls but at my last job we put an old system into "sunset" and people bitched up a storm about how dumb that term was and what does it even mean so the next round of emails about it stated that we were phasing it out

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

graph posted:

any opinions
zoom sucks. webex is better, but has probs (like its voip). use GoToMeeting or skype4b meetings if its all internal or 365

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

I last used zoom a year ago, it has a little window that must be on top of all others at all times, you can't share individual windows, scaling is bad and overall it's a bit wonky

it can share individual windows now, just did that last week on a mac

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

skype4b meetings

lol no

shagger is correct, gotomeeting is cool & good and Just Works™

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
comedy option: use that goofy highfive poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

lol no

shagger is correct, gotomeeting is cool & good and Just Works™

skype4b meetings between skype4b users work great. don't use the web stuff tho

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Shaggar posted:

too bad it requires the lovely client

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that thing is a turd.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're adding federation to teams tho so that's gonna fix that problem

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

as always the answer remains: don't use Skype 4 Business.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

:wrong:

we are (now) 100% skype4b w/ o365 at my company and it's hilariously hosed up and bad even on internal meetings

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

as always the answer remains: don't use Skype 4 Business.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

as always the answer remains: don't use Skype 4 Business For Life Enterprise x64 w/ PowerToys Mobile Edition.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qirex posted:

you can do individual windows now, on windows at least

you can also airplay mirror from your iphone to ur pc to the call, which seems clever?

zoom is fine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PCjr sidecar posted:

zoom is fine

ya

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

we are (now) 100% skype4b w/ o365 at my company and it's hilariously hosed up and bad even on internal meetings

works fine 4 me.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

works fine 4 me.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

mishaq posted:

even internal, drat.

all of our current internal problems using it are very clearly either user issues (my boss simply cannot adapt to this fancy new tech after so many years of webex and i earnestly look forward to his coming heart attack as a major career goal for me), or because the in-office wifi is frequently lovely.

external users calling in often have issues, or did, they might have gotten that worked out finally.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

we use it internally and it's a giant piece of poo poo, even outside of telephony.

For instance, if I have a chat window open and a second person messages me, the entire application will freeze for up to 30 seconds while it attempts to catch up.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

"Hey, it's Jim"

*5 Jims and 1 James are all on the call*

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Skype for business just bluescreened this laptop when I went to join a meeting. very cool

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

you have a team of people dedicated to aphex twin?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
zoom is okay i guess

some shameful non-retina gui assets tho

slow as gently caress take-control screenshare too

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

just lmao if you actually have a hidpi work computer

windows 7 on a 1080p tn panel is the computer equivalent of "cubicle wall brown" in terms of office aesthetics

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

my work computer is an xps 13 which is great at showing up how badly windows handles highdpi

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

carry on then posted:

just lmao if you actually have a hidpi work computer

windows 7 on a 1080p tn panel is the computer equivalent of "cubicle wall brown" in terms of office aesthetics

1080p? i wish lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I like how windows high dpi makes things blurry but macOS scaling makes things sharper

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

me too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fart simpson posted:

1080p? i wish lol

yeah, our office default is 11 year old 17" hp panels with dp to vga converters and blown out color ranges

they litter the corners of cabinet tops like a garbage nest and every sad person i see at work is inevitably staring at one of them while they browse some ebay auction and try to stay focused on their call

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, our office default is 11 year old 17" hp panels with dp to vga converters and blown out color ranges

they litter the corners of cabinet tops like a garbage nest and every sad person i see at work is inevitably staring at one of them while they browse some ebay auction and try to stay focused on their call

this was me up until a month ago, they finally got us all new 19" widescreens but they're still on vga to dvi converters because they use a splitter to attach 2 monitors to one dvi port so they don't have to buy us new video cards

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao 19" displays, bet they are 1440x900 pieces of poo poo as well. they should all be in the trash.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

this was me up until a month ago, they finally got us all new 19" widescreens but they're still on vga to dvi converters because they use a splitter to attach 2 monitors to one dvi port so they don't have to buy us new video cards

lol

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Thanks Ants posted:

lmao 19" displays, bet they are 1440x900 pieces of poo poo as well. they should all be in the trash.

Our workstations have 3 x 1600x1200 HP displays that I'm pretty sure are like 14 inches diag.

We do broadcast too ffs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

Our workstations have 3 x 1600x1200 HP displays that I'm pretty sure are like 14 inches diag.

We do broadcast too ffs.

2x 20" 1600 x 900, the most shameful aspect ratio and sub-1080 resoution :smith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

We do broadcast too ffs.

those were probably pretty killer 15 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you cant expense sub $500 electronics for your office space without more than a verbal ok from your boss

enjoy going blind staring at these terrible monitors all day

• Locked thread