Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

business hammocks posted:

It looked like he only had a few ships. The one he left on seemed like it was the only one left.

Ramsay sent him a couple good ships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
The episode spent more time on jorah's oozing pus than on the final battle, which honestly felt pretty rushed and very badly directed, with those dumb fast cuts that barely allow you to understand what the gently caress is going on.

That said we are finally getting rid of the most annoying actresses tv has ever seen: the sand snakes. Here's to hoping Euron actually kills them all superhard. Dorne really is the worst house.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
wanna see that bad poosee

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
Drogon gonna die. I felt that was foreshadowed very hard.

Dany will eventually surround kings landing and have a parlay with Cersei or her representative. Dany will have Drogon there as intimidation because that's what she has always done in these situations and BAM Ballista head shot out of no where.

Or they kill one of the other dragons, and Drogon and Dany lose their poo poo and proceed to raze kings landing to the ground.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

This was not my favorite episode but I guess it was mostly okay?

The wolf thing was beyond stupid and I don't know why it was there or who it was for. It felt like the worst parts of the Star Wars prequels or the cameo by the Walrus Guy and his buddy in Rogue One; just a thoroughly pointless cameo for the producers to wink at the audience and be 'hey remember this?' Possibly it's a side effect of the TV budget but I don't really feel like any of the wolves including Ghost (the one who was around the longest) really ever had anything approaching a personality or character so seeing Nymeria again after six years was not something I was clamoring for.

Varys rules and his scene with Dany was the best part of the episode for me. He's the character I've been rooting for the longest on the show since, like he said, he honestly does seem to be in it for the greater good of the people (though Dany makes a very good point that in the early parts of season one where he's conspiring against Robert to put her brother on the throne he was trying to get Robert off the throne for the awful crime of being a kind of inattentive ruler -- people weren't starving or being slaughtered in five or six simultaneous wars under Robert so...).

The ocean battle was alright, I guess, if you're into that kind of thing. Asha has to be an absolute poo poo captain though if she let Euron's ships get to within ramming distance of them, even at night, without someone spotting them as they sailed closer. I'm an age of sail nerd, though, so the goofiness of GoT ship stuff has always bugged me and this was just the very worst example.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Euron's fleet going dark, along with the terrible light discipline on Yara's fleet provided a huge tactical advantage.

Yara's fleet lookouts would have been practically useless due to nightblindness. This coupled with the fact that both fleets used the same hull designed made it easy to infiltrate.

Clearly Yara was not expecting trouble, and Euron took advantage of her recklessness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Golli posted:

Euron's fleet going dark, along with the terrible light discipline on Yara's fleet provided a huge tactical advantage.

Yara's fleet lookouts would have been practically useless due to nightblindness. This coupled with the fact that both fleets used the same hull designed made it easy to infiltrate.

Clearly Yara was not expecting trouble, and Euron took advantage of her recklessness.

Was she even aware that Euron had a fleet, much less it was in the area?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NorgLyle posted:

The wolf thing was beyond stupid and I don't know why it was there or who it was for. It felt like the worst parts of the Star Wars prequels or the cameo by the Walrus Guy and his buddy in Rogue One; just a thoroughly pointless cameo for the producers to wink at the audience and be 'hey remember this?' Possibly it's a side effect of the TV budget but I don't really feel like any of the wolves including Ghost (the one who was around the longest) really ever had anything approaching a personality or character so seeing Nymeria again after six years was not something I was clamoring for.

Varys rules and his scene with Dany was the best part of the episode for me. He's the character I've been rooting for the longest on the show since, like he said, he honestly does seem to be in it for the greater good of the people (though Dany makes a very good point that in the early parts of season one where he's conspiring against Robert to put her brother on the throne he was trying to get Robert off the throne for the awful crime of being a kind of inattentive ruler -- people weren't starving or being slaughtered in five or six simultaneous wars under Robert so...).

The ocean battle was alright, I guess, if you're into that kind of thing. Asha has to be an absolute poo poo captain though if she let Euron's ships get to within ramming distance of them, even at night, without someone spotting them as they sailed closer. I'm an age of sail nerd, though, so the goofiness of GoT ship stuff has always bugged me and this was just the very worst example.

Did you not notice that Euron had fog and a storm following his ship around

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

NorgLyle posted:

Same.

I understand movies like to do that thing where a guy is in the middle of a street at night in complete silence but somehow he doesn't see or hear the attacker coming (because the whole time we were watching a close-up of his dumb face) and gets stabbed or whatever. But this is the loving open sea and the House whose only reason to be in the books/tv show is to literally be the best at naval warfare. Like they are boring and poo poo at everything else and lose every war, at least they're good at fighting with ships? No? Oh well.

EDIT: unless Euron used magic, in which case I suppose it's ok as long as all the sand snakes are dead and maybe removed from the blurays as well

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

This was a fight between two fleets from the same kingdom, so skill levels were probably a wash.

It just turns out that Yara was a poo poo fleet commander, and decided to transit like a convoy of cruise ships instead of on a wartime preparedness level.

Euron may have been using magic, but I think he would have stomped them regardless.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like drat did you guys not see the suspect fog and rain-less lightning storm that Euron just happened to appear out of and ended as soon as the battle was over

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Grant DaNasty posted:

Every time I see him he reminds me of Kano from the Mortal Kombat movie. He needs a bionic eye.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been getting serious Kano vibes from him every time he's on screen. And let's be honest here, Kano would absolutely be doing the same poo poo if he found himself in Westeros.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wandle Cax posted:

Awesome lets now have 10 pages of essays arguing about the tactical realism of a fight on a burning boat in a fantasy dragon show.

Christ I hate people who don't understand the idea of internal consistency.

Hurr Durr its Harry Potter its magic so that means there can't be plot holes!

Grant DaNasty posted:

Every time I see him he reminds me of Kano from the Mortal Kombat movie. He needs a bionic eye.

Same!

Euron's actor is not a good actor but he can at least chew scenery with style.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Like drat did you guys not see the suspect fog and rain-less lightning storm that Euron just happened to appear out of and ended as soon as the battle was over

can that magic also erase our memories of the sand snakes and their terrible lines

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
First it's an obvious chookepoint how can he not find her, now it's the open sea, how could he find her

Where is my tactical realism. This is almost as bad as that episode where Jory says longswords are for piercing armour. WRONG

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You don't see it but he jumps slightly just before it hits, eliminating all damage

Hardcore parkour

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Phi230 posted:

Did you not notice that Euron had fog and a storm following his ship around
That's... actually more reason that they should have been aware of it? I mean unless you think 'Captain, there's a storm coming up on us from the East' 'Eh, don't worry about it' is something that gets said a lot onboard ship. I'm not saying they'd be cleared for action and bombarding him with their own... whatever ship board weapons they actually use in Westeros... but yes I'm saying it was pretty much absurd that the captain was below deck entertaining guests with her ship lit up like they were on a pleasure cruise for the fourth of July and no watch set or any thought to formation while they were ostensibly on a fairly important military manuver through waters owned by the enemy.

Obviously, post Trafalgar, the British Navy was largely unchallenged in the open seas and throughout the European coasts but you still treated the potential of a Spanish or French ship coming upon you and getting in position to rake as a serious thing. If you were in command of a squadron, you positioned your ships in such a way that any captain who spotted the enemy (or was surprised by a sudden appearance and attack) could easily alert the rest of the squadron and you could move to position to repel them, defend yourselves or escape the engagement as appropriate.

If a full squadron of enemy ships could get within musket shot of all of your ships at once... I mean... it's unprecedentedly terrible command. Like Ambrose Burnside is somewhere wiping his sweaty brow and thanking the writers of Game of Thrones for finally bumping him down a spot or two on the Worst At His Job ranking.

EDIT: It's not a show about the Navy so it's absolutely not a huge deal. It's just something that tweaked me about the episode and made our characters all look stupid if you were looking at it from the perspective of naval tactics. It's not about that though so 'Characters Get Into Battle And Are Defeated By Bad Guy' is fine from a story point of view. It was just silly to watch the ships start ramming each other and dropping gangplanks like eleven seconds after the first sign of engagement.

NorgLyle fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 24, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So were Dorne and Highgarden's armies on the boats that Euron attacked, or were they just on the way to pick them up?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Dog posted:

So were Dorne and Highgarden's armies on the boats that Euron attacked, or were they just on the way to pick them up?

Pretty sure they were going to pick them up, but Dorne's at least is going to be off the table if their sovereign is being held in King's Landing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I was wondering what kind of gift Euron could give Cersei, but "the woman who killed your daughter, and her daughter" is a drat good gift. Looking forward to Cersei torturing the last two Dornish characters to death

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

U-DO Burger posted:

I was wondering what kind of gift Euron could give Cersei, but "the woman who killed your daughter, and her daughter" is a drat good gift. Looking forward to Cersei torturing the last two Dornish characters to death

Shoot em with the ballista

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NorgLyle posted:

It's been established that Nymeria has been out in that region since going missing way back in S1. This is the first time since then that Arya has been back in that area (and in the woods) so it makes total sense to me that Nymeria would pick up her scent and drop in. Also, while I get where you're coming from with your indifference to the Dire Wolves, they are massively popular with a lot of fans so it's not surprising that they brought her back.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

zoux posted:

Pretty sure they were going to pick them up, but Dorne's at least is going to be off the table if their sovereign is being held in King's Landing.
The way armies work in GoT has never made a whole lot of sense to me. In Dorne, the Sand Snakes assassinated Prince Dr Bashir and took over, I guess, and this gave them command of the Dornish houses... somehow. Off-camera, possibly, we're supposed to assume that the Dornish weren't happy with his rule and would have liked Oberyn in charge and so they jumped on board when his lover killed the prince and took over? I'm not sure.

Similarly, I've never quite understood how Roose Bolton ended up consolidating the armies of the North after the Red Wedding. Even if people didn't know he had a hand in it, the other houses were all fired up to fight the Lannisters and support the King in the North but now that Rob is dead well we'll just go ahead and bend the knee to the same King we were in open revolt against a week ago and fight his enemies for this guy who was mysteriously not murdered along with all the other people (including our own family members) at the Twins.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In the books there are rumors that a Direwolf is leading a pack of wolves hundreds strong destroying villages and poo poo but lol ofc the show drives that into the ground

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NorgLyle posted:

The way armies work in GoT has never made a whole lot of sense to me. In Dorne, the Sand Snakes assassinated Prince Dr Bashir and took over, I guess, and this gave them command of the Dornish houses... somehow. Off-camera, possibly, we're supposed to assume that the Dornish weren't happy with his rule and would have liked Oberyn in charge and so they jumped on board when his lover killed the prince and took over? I'm not sure.

Similarly, I've never quite understood how Roose Bolton ended up consolidating the armies of the North after the Red Wedding. Even if people didn't know he had a hand in it, the other houses were all fired up to fight the Lannisters and support the King in the North but now that Rob is dead well we'll just go ahead and bend the knee to the same King we were in open revolt against a week ago and fight his enemies for this guy who was mysteriously not murdered along with all the other people (including our own family members) at the Twins.

Fear. And obviously it wasn't that effective a tactic since several of the houses ended up betraying him in the Battle of the Bastards.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NorgLyle posted:

No one was dying yet but they would be. Robert had drunk and partied the kingdom into massive debt, even without the wars that followed his death the kingdoms were in bad shape for the coming winter.

Not that Viserys on the throne could change anything about that. I think Varys was just playing the long game and hoping Viserys would swoop in the spring after the winter and conquer an already weakened Westeros.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Phi230 posted:

In the books there are rumors that a Direwolf is leading a pack of wolves hundreds strong destroying villages and poo poo but lol ofc the show drives that into the ground

That scene counts as driving it into the ground?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

zoux posted:

Seems like her legitimacy as ruler would be controversial in Dorne anyway since she's just some prince's ex GF who murdered the rightful royal line and- oh yeah, Dorne is literally like four people, I forgot.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Magic? Hmmm.

This is basically george rr martin: medieval chronicles where the Lannisters are French, the Starks are something between Scandinavia and England, Dorne is Spain, King's Landing is maybe a lovely version of Rome, and all the eastern lands are basically Asia/Middle East depicted in a non-aggressively racist way most of the times, which is the best Martin could do it seems.

You can barely consider it fantasy, it's our world with different names and a lot of zombies in the north. There's gently caress all magic in Westeros except when Martin/the show need it to give plot armor to someone or get out of creative dead ends (like Jon Snow's death), or make the sloppiest naval warfare scenes like the one we just watched.

Also did someone's carotid artery exploded out of nowhere in the first few seconds of the battle? That looked hilarious because I was watching the episode with some friends and no one realized what the gently caress happened, it was like Greengrass directing a Bourne movie but even shittier somehow.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

NorgLyle posted:

That's... actually more reason that they should have been aware of it? I mean unless you think 'Captain, there's a storm coming up on us from the East' 'Eh, don't worry about it' is something that gets said a lot onboard ship. I'm not saying they'd be cleared for action and bombarding him with their own... whatever ship board weapons they actually use in Westeros... but yes I'm saying it was pretty much absurd that the captain was below deck entertaining guests with her ship lit up like they were on a pleasure cruise for the fourth of July and no watch set or any thought to formation while they were ostensibly on a fairly important military manuver through waters owned by the enemy.

Obviously, post Trafalgar, the British Navy was largely unchallenged in the open seas and throughout the European coasts but you still treated the potential of a Spanish or French ship coming upon you and getting in position to rake as a serious thing. If you were in command of a squadron, you positioned your ships in such a way that any captain who spotted the enemy (or was surprised by a sudden appearance and attack) could easily alert the rest of the squadron and you could move to position to repel them, defend yourselves or escape the engagement as appropriate.

If a full squadron of enemy ships could get within musket shot of all of your ships at once... I mean... it's unprecedentedly terrible command. Like Ambrose Burnside is somewhere wiping his sweaty brow and thanking the writers of Game of Thrones for finally bumping him down a spot or two on the Worst At His Job ranking.

EDIT: It's not a show about the Navy so it's absolutely not a huge deal. It's just something that tweaked me about the episode and made our characters all look stupid if you were looking at it from the perspective of naval tactics. It's not about that though so 'Characters Get Into Battle And Are Defeated By Bad Guy' is fine from a story point of view. It was just silly to watch the ships start ramming each other and dropping gangplanks like eleven seconds after the first sign of engagement.

U.S. warship crew found likely at fault in June collision: official

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No one was dying yet but they would be. Robert had drunk and partied the kingdom into massive debt, even without the wars that followed his death the kingdoms were in bad shape for the coming winter.
Don't get me started on the debt thing or the Iron Bank.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

this is trump's america though, sorry but this proves nothing

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Yeah, I was saying it makes them look hilariously incompetent. Not that it never ever could happen.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Yes a modern warship with radar, sonar and satellite resources was snuck up on by a cargo ship the size of a small city.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NorgLyle posted:

I don't think the wolf thing was about Nymeria; it was about Arya. Arya originally lost Nymeria because being a pretty princess in a castle is "not me". Faced with a reflection of herself, she says "That's not you", finally truly coming to terms with the fact that she has found a very different role than what had been planned out for her. It was basically a talky scene, except instead of wine/tits, it had wolves.

NorgLyle posted:

I think they actually literally state that when they kill him, that the lesser nobles want war and he's being a huge pansy about it so he has to go.

NorgLyle posted:

The houses most fired up about killing Lannisters would be precisely the ones that lost a good chunk of their men, and probably nobles, at the Red Wedding. Leaving the least loyal, or brave, to stand up to a fearsome guy who has the support of the most powerful house.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Kawabata posted:

Magic? Hmmm.

This is basically george rr martin: medieval chronicles where the Lannisters are French, the Starks are something between Scandinavia and England, Dorne is Spain, King's Landing is maybe a lovely version of Rome, and all the eastern lands are basically Asia/Middle East depicted in a non-aggressively racist way most of the times, which is the best Martin could do it seems.

You can barely consider it fantasy, it's our world with different names and a lot of zombies in the north. There's gently caress all magic in Westeros except when Martin/the show need it to give plot armor to someone or get out of creative dead ends (like Jon Snow's death), or make the sloppiest naval warfare scenes like the one we just watched.

Naw one of the biggest themes in the story is that magic has been dead and intentionally suppressed for a while, and it's slowly coming back into the world now and all this crazy poo poo is happening that nobody living has seen before. It's fantasy Europe that used to have magic, hasn't for a while, and is getting it again. And we are supposed to believe that there's all kinds of weird, maybe real maybe not, magic stuff in the "far east" where Euron went for a while.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No magic except the dragons and the infinite army of the dead in the north.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They haven't established Show-Euron as a magic user, but that storm did seem supernatural.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Can anyone explain to me how a fleet of 1,000 sheets sailed from the Iron Islands to King's Landing? Like I'm looking at a map of Westeros and all I can think is "did they sail all the way around the coast of Dorne and then ambush the Dornish leader in Dornish waters without anyone in Dorne noticing?" and it's bugging the hell out of me. Did they take a Panama Canal-esque shortcut somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dale Cooper in my GoT? Yes please. Especially if David Lynch starts directing a few episodes.

• Locked thread