Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting Hard West and figured what the gently caress, I'll get Darkest Dungeon, too, had some money left on a gift card. Looks like between the two of them I'll have what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

3Romeo posted:

Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting Hard West and figured what the gently caress, I'll get Darkest Dungeon, too, had some money left on a gift card. Looks like between the two of them I'll have what I'm looking for.

Sure, it's not bad. I reckon it would've been better though if you had something more open ended with a decent sized squad of bandits or something. The Magnificent Seven of XCOM. :)

(Edit: maybe they even have that if I had stuck with the campaign, I certainly never got there though)

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

So, in the interest of dressing up my space barbies the best to kill aliens when the expansion hits, what are some of the better mods out there for customization?

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Maluco Marinero posted:

Sure, it's not bad. I reckon it would've been better though if you had something more open ended with a decent sized squad of bandits or something. The Magnificent Seven of XCOM. :)

(Edit: maybe they even have that if I had stuck with the campaign, I certainly never got there though)
Everything comes together in the end, but IIRC 4 is the maximum party size and (e: with a few noteable exceptions) if you lose someone it's restart the fight (or campaign, if Ironman is enabled). The whole part where no one is expendable was a really poor design decision on harder difficulties where it becomes less "adapt to surroundings" and more "learn the map by heart".

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jul 24, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Theron posted:

So, in the interest of dressing up my space barbies the best to kill aliens when the expansion hits, what are some of the better mods out there for customization?

capnbubs is the gold standard, titanfall gear has some interesting options, there's a new prosthetics mod out that's pretty cool

I have far too many of these to do off the top of my head, so I'll fill in a big list later

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the titanfall stuff looks more appropriate for resistance soldiers than the default armour imo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh i think there's some really detailed Halo armor sets if you're into that

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any good dress up packs for lategame gear? Most of them seem like they work best for T12/t2 stuff and those tiers, especially T1, has the most vanilla variety on top of that. I don't even mind the aesthetic of Warden armor, I just want more variety.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 24, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Theron posted:

Fancy Dress Party is the absolute best

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ravenfood posted:

Any good dress up packs for lategame gear? Most of them seem like they work best for T12/t2 stuff and those tiers, especially T1, has the most vanilla variety on top of that. I don't even mind the aesthetic of Warden armor, I just want more variety.
i believe there's a pack called Warden Armors that's exactly that, and I think there's also a pack that re-imports the EW armors back into the game.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I like to put face-covering masks on my dudes so I don't have to see their stupid grins after successful missions.

If I could, I'd tear their arms off too so I wouldn't have to see them do that asinine knee-slapping routine.

Finally, pre-sergeant "Happy-Go-Lucky" types scout first, and always carry hand grenades for themselves when needed. gently caress those guys.

Anyway, my $.02.

It's worth noting that there's now a mod that lets you replace arms and legs with prostheses. Might suit your need to tear off arms!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The mod that adds praetor armor from Doom 2016 is good. There is a mod that adds Cerberus armor from Mass Effect but it is really low quality textures designed to look good with a very particular visual mod, but looks garbage on its own.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The hi-def XCOM 1 armor models are the best. The one variant of the Titan Armor looks awesome.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I think its really weird that you guys wanna wear trash to beat up aliens. We are men not raccoons

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

There's a Sneak Suit mod and a Section 9 mod that are really good even if you don't care about their source material

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I dress everyone like GI Joe, the LW2 classes fit them perfectly.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I like to dress my boys up in either the colors on their country's flag or Third Street Saints colors.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

After burning out on LW2 some months ago (like so many others have said, some of the ideas in that mod are great, but they're buried under a mountain of grognard-y bullshit), I decided to give A Better Advent a go.

I'm having fun with it, but I do have one (relatively minor) complaint: I never get to see what some of the new enemy types do. It's cool that they've included a variant of the berserker called a firestarter, but my brain translates "firestarter" to "shoot this motherfucker first!"

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I've been streaming a vanilla campaign of XCOM 2 with the DLC to kill some time with some goons from the Star Citizen thread and while it has been going pretty well I plan to keep playing and want to improve. Currently we're playing on commander mode and while I have restarted a mission or two because I usually end up pretty hammered toward the end of the session, we haven't made any super serious mistakes yet, I don't think.

Would it be bad form to post the link next time I play to get some feed back?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ravenfood posted:

Stenchfury's modular helmets and armors are really cool and good. The helmet bits let you build a lot of cool poo poo by mixing and matching with other props.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Invisible, Inc. is also fantastic, but the emphasis is on stealth rather than combat.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Ersatz posted:

Invisible, Inc. is also fantastic, but the emphasis is on stealth rather than combat.

Seconding this. I've put more time into Invisible than I have into vanilla XCOM.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Ersatz posted:

I looked a little at this, and I'll probably get it after I finish Hard West, but right now Darkest Dungeon is really doing it for me. I guess I found out that while I like turn-based tactics, it's the :xcom:-style rng where I can easily lose some veteran dudes that I'm the most addicted to.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I dress my soldiers in gold, silver, or garish hot pink armor depending on my mood, and then the under armor color is matched to their class (Purple for Psi, electric blue for supports, green for rangers, ect.)

Stealth is optional :whatup:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I also enjoyed Shock Tactics. It's a pretty solid take on Xcom, specifically the way it solves the timer aspect.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Thanks for the replies, grabbed a bunch.
Also seconding the Invisible Inc recommendation, it's a fantastic game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Alkydere posted:

Also whoever wrote the Scientist's logs was loving hilarious.

thank you for bringing me a chrysallid please never do it again oh whoops i burned this one

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 25, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bogart posted:

thank you for bringing me a chrysallid please never do it again

Yeah that one's the best. The entire page is more or less:

"Congratulations, you now get a 10% damage bonus against Chryasllids Repears! I do apologize, I seem to have incinerated the living specimen before I got the order to do so. Then dumped the ashes into what I thought was water but turned out to be highly concentrated H2SO4. Then mixed the precipitate into some alienium napalm I whipped up as an experiment and burned them again to just be sure. Now if you'll excuse me I need to curl up in a corner with my nightmares."

Not that there aren't other jewels.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Yeah that one's the best. The entire page is more or less:

"Congratulations, you now get a 10% damage bonus against Chryasllids Repears! I do apologize, I seem to have incinerated the living specimen before I got the order to do so. Then dumped the ashes into what I thought was water but turned out to be highly concentrated H2SO4. Then mixed the precipitate into some alienium napalm I whipped up as an experiment and burned them again to just be sure. Now if you'll excuse me I need to curl up in a corner with my nightmares."

Not that there aren't other jewels.

I had to look that up to share.

Chief Scientist posted:

I consider it prudent to preserve our captive alien specimens in case further analysis is required. The Reaper was an exception - I had it incinerated the moment we concluded our studies on it. The thought of a creature such as this breaking loose in our cramped underground facility is the stuff of nightmares.

In any case, it hardly made a good captive - it was extremely aggressive and clearly had no more than animal-level intellect. Simply walking past the holding tank would see the creature flinging itself at the glass walls in a violent frenzy, a flurry of scything blades and slashing talons. This was particularly irritating given the fiends in engineering installed our new coffee machine only a few feet from the beast, ensuring the glorious silence of our labs was regularly punctuated by screams and the noise of shattering crockery.

Nevertheless, our work was useful: it confirmed our initial suspicions that Reapers are highly mobile and have excellent sensory awareness. We also discovered a number of weak points in the otherwise durable chitin shell of the creature. These have been summarised and issued to your troops, boosting damaged inflicted by roughly ten percent.

We were able to observe the horrific Reaper reproductive process first-hand by introducing cattle into the holding tank. It appears the victim is doomed the moment that it is speared and injected with larvae, turning them into a bloated mass of flesh (aptly referred to as a "zombie" by your men). The larval growth process begins the growth process, but its not actually required to complete it - if the zombie is terminated before gestation is complete, an immature Reaper bursts free of the host's corpse and springs into action. These immature Reapers mature in a matter of minutes and seem just as combat-effective as adult Reapers, so bear in mind that gunning down a zombie may not be beneficial in every situation. While I am not sure what the aliens have done to enhance the original Reapers, there is no doubt that they have evolved into the very definition of a terror weapon.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

He also invents the internet AND sends a cat picture in one research, and then when you do the base upgrade he wonders why the soldiers and rest of the staff do not appreciate the cleaning-gel showers that were far, far more efficient than simple water. The chief scientist is basically the ultimate neck-beard (sans actual beard but you get the idea of the personality type) who would have invented Soylent if a research gave him the chance.

He also makes himself a set of google glasses when you do the base upgrade.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The Reaper report is tied with the final weapon tier research mainly because of how smug he is about outdoing Alien weapons tech, in my opinion.

The accidental internet invention is a close third though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I feel like the specific part about engineering installing their new coffee machine right next to the Reaper holding tank doesn't get enough love.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Isn't the research note for Mag guns basically him saying, "I could design a better energy weapon than what the aliens have, using alien material we don't have and research we can't spare, but that's dumb, alien weapons are dumb, especially when it's so much easier to design firearms that fling bullets 10x the speed of sound. I probably should of done this months ago."

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 25, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cythereal posted:

I had to look that up to share.

Xenonauts really does have a lot of personality. I think the biggest shame for me is that the aliens are, aesthetically, really dull. One of the most common enemies looks vaguely like people in Christmas sweaters; every opponent (to my knowledge) is a bipedal humanoid of approximately the same size. I think the Reaper is actually the most "alien" of the bunch, but it's really not a crazy looking thing in its own right.

It's funny to go from Xenonauts to something like X-Com Apocalypse, which had a zoo of veiny, pulpy mongoloids ranging from fat little "head crab" creatures to monstrosities the size of skyscrapers.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 25, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Back Hack posted:

Isn't the research note for Mag guns basically him saying, "I could design a better energy weapon than what the aliens have, using alien material we don't have and research we can't spare, but that's dumb, alien weapons are dumb, especially when it's so much easier to design firearms that fling bullets 10x the speed of sound. I probably should of done this months ago."
Nah, it's actually pretty sober:

People probably just remember it fondly because the whole idea of "Yeah we aped their tech for a bit, but in the end we just used it to make our own poo poo better than theirs" has that nice HUMANITY gently caress YEAH feel to it, even if the report itself isn't all that smug in tone.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the report for researching a captured reaper is great. basically just the scientist going "why the gently caress would you take this into the base if it got out we would all die, anyways heres a lovely report+test we did before we incinerated it."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

3Romeo posted:

With hard west, there was one part that made me give up on it (it was "ok" up until that point). It's a part where you're playing as one guy, you're ridiculously strong and by all accounts you should feel like a badass at that stage, but I got unlucky twice and it makes you do the entire first fight and cutscene again every time you die, so I refunded it.

Granted I wasn't enjoying it that much anyway (nothing carries over) but that pushed me over the edge on it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nordick posted:

Nah, it's actually pretty sober:

Huh, yeah, you're right. I swear he snarked like a motherfucker in there somewhere, maybe it was from one of that CE addon bits? :shrug:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

dogstile posted:

With hard west, there was one part that made me give up on it (it was "ok" up until that point). It's a part where you're playing as one guy, you're ridiculously strong and by all accounts you should feel like a badass at that stage, but I got unlucky twice and it makes you do the entire first fight and cutscene again every time you die, so I refunded it.

Granted I wasn't enjoying it that much anyway (nothing carries over) but that pushed me over the edge on it.

Yeah I didn't really enjoy that series of campaigns, I liked the weird side campaigns more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

dogstile posted:

With hard west, there was one part that made me give up on it (

Aha, but that's where you're wrong. Certain items or weapons found or developed in one mini campaign do carry over and can be purchased from the Fate Trader for a modest fee. The inventor guy's crazy weapons for example.

Still, I can't fault you for not liking it if you didn't like it.