Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
He didn't murder her though, dang.

The whole diner scene was incredible. The reveal that Shelly is still a child chasing bad boys, the stoic kid, the AAAH/honking. After the vomiting ended I had to pause the episode and walk a lap around the apartment before continuing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

kid gunman and his camo dad reminded me of the neighbors from A Serious Man lol

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

CJacobs posted:

To be fair to Norma, her spouse was in prison and is a murderer

Secret History of Twin Peaks spoilers
And is also directly responsible for her not being with Ed

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

TheMaestroso posted:

According to the credits, he wrote and performed that song.

that doesn't necessarily mean that's him on-screen. just that he played what you are hearing. I dont think it looked anything like badalamenti tbh.

also lol at the tone deaf goons who thought he was playing laura palmer's theme.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Thom and the Heads posted:

that doesn't necessarily mean that's him on-screen. just that he played what you are hearing. I dont think it looked anything like badalamenti tbh.

also lol at the tone deaf goons who thought he was playing laura palmer's theme.

i could go back n relisten to make sure but im not gonna

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It definitely wasn't Badalamenti at the piano. I guess the player was just miming?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

kid gunman and his camo dad reminded me of the neighbors from A Serious Man lol

lol

I love that movie

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

What does Doug say at the end? Sounded a bit mumbled so I couldn't hear it clearly.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cacator posted:

What does Doug say at the end? Sounded a bit mumbled so I couldn't hear it clearly.

drat good

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The adventures of Cole, Albert, and their Scooby/Scuba-Do ragtag team is the best part of the season and makes me wish there was retroactively more of them in the OG series.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't know where the little sub plot with Candy is going but the actress who plays her is great.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

candy is someone else who was trapped in the black lodge for 25 years and is trying to wake up like coop.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Phi230 posted:

drat good

It also sounded like he repeated back their "friends" line and looked wistfully like it was triggering his memories of his buddies in Twin Peaks and the double R

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

zelah posted:

The whole diner scene was incredible. The reveal that Shelly is still a child chasing bad boys
Man, that scene was pretty graceful. Shelly and Bobby are very supportive, and I was wondering the entire time "Why is Amanda Siegfried so maladjusted? Her parents seem great despite the divorce".
The scene didn't miss a beat and immediately answered me with Shelly running off, squealing like a teenager.

I dunno if this is a valid critique, but I find it kinda odd that Shelly is still stuck. Not much is known about Norma's status either besides the diner. Audrey is MIA, Nadine has gotten a sliver of reveal, Agent Hips (Tammy) is so wooden and inconsequential, Jayne-E is falling for a babyman, and Diane is just bitter. I feel a lack of agency or any meaningful movement from all the females characters in Season 3. Maybe I'm missing a lot because it's been 10 weeks since it began, so memory could be poo poo.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010
Has it been pointed out yet that the woman Steven was with is Donna's sister?

Also, going back a few episodes, but anyone have thoughts on the significance of having a Au Revoir Simone play in the Roadhouse in two different episodes?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I kinda like how it's Bobby who has turned out fine and Shelly who is still the gently caress up. That's probably the opposite of what you'd expect from the original.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Lynch is trying to/has hosed them

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm having difficulty consolidating the half of me that despised Bobby Briggs in the original series with the half of me that loves Deputy Briggs and wishes only the best for him in the new one.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Have you guys considered that Shelley's drug deal BF is a good guy who just so happens to sell drugs? God why can't you just be happy for her?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mordja posted:

I'm having difficulty consolidating the half of me that despised Bobby Briggs in the original series with the half of me that loves Deputy Briggs and wishes only the best for him in the new one.

Who would have thought Bobby Briggs and a brain-damaged amnesiac Cooper would be the heroes of the revival? It's amazing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Zmej posted:

I dunno if this is a valid critique, but I find it kinda odd that Shelly is still stuck. Not much is known about Norma's status either besides the diner. Audrey is MIA, Nadine has gotten a sliver of reveal, Agent Hips (Tammy) is so wooden and inconsequential, Jayne-E is falling for a babyman, and Diane is just bitter. I feel a lack of agency or any meaningful movement from all the females characters in Season 3. Maybe I'm missing a lot because it's been 10 weeks since it began, so memory could be poo poo.
Nah, it's totally valid. There's just not a really strong/smart woman character in the show. Janey-E is close and has saved the day a bunch, but she's pretty dumb in regards to Dougie (then again, everyone around "Dougie" glosses over his behavior).

I do wish we had someone as well-written as some of the male main characters.

Episode 10 was rougher than most because it was just violence against women scene after scene.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's amazing what a lovely night Bobby is having. By the time the zombie vomiting child shows up, that dude is just hoping this is a dream he can wake up from right the gently caress now.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Zmej posted:

Man, that scene was pretty graceful. Shelly and Bobby are very supportive, and I was wondering the entire time "Why is Amanda Siegfried so maladjusted? Her parents seem great despite the divorce".
The scene didn't miss a beat and immediately answered me with Shelly running off, squealing like a teenager.

tammy is awful her acting fucken sucks

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

not in a good way kinda bad

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Zmej posted:

Nah, it's valid, and I've been thinking the same thing for a while now. Tammy only exists to hand things to Gordon and everyone else either hasn't had much to do or have only existed to get beat up or abused somehow. With the notable exception of Janey, who I feel like is the only woman character that feels as if she has any autonomy, her Dougie lust aside. Diane too, but who knows where her plot is going.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

that prostitute lady was cool tho

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's amazing what a lovely night Bobby is having. By the time the zombie vomiting child shows up, that dude is just hoping this is a dream he can wake up from right the gently caress now.

I thought "Oh thank god" when Bobby passed off the gun couple to the other deputy and said he was gonna get that woman to stop honking her horn. And then, all that happened instead.

It was such a great sequence, the whole diner scene. First your daughter is a wreck and is possibly (read: is definitely) getting abused by her poo poo husband, then your ex wife goes macking on some weirdo, then sudden gunshots, then this woman incessantly honking. It was just 5 minutes of pure anxiety piling on over and over.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

lucys okay too i guess

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Turdfuzz posted:

Hahaha, when Jade, the loving prostitute character seen about 2-3 times, makes the audience feel more of a connection than women who take up 5x the airtime, sometime is definitely odd about the writing.

I think the coroner who hit it off with Albert is pretty drat competent, too, but since I don't even remember her name, they didn't use her nearly enough.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

HD DAD posted:

The adventures of Cole, Albert, and their Scooby/Scuba-Do ragtag team is the best part of the season and makes me wish there was retroactively more of them in the OG series.

Additionally, I'd love to watch the adventures of Cole, Albert, and their scuba do-rag tag team.

Zmej posted:

I quite like Constance Talbot and Lieutenant Cynthia Knox from the South Dakota plotline, but they're not exactly major characters. Let's also not forget Denise who is currently higher ranking than Gordon.

Turdfuzz posted:

Yeah, Jade is cool.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Hahaha, when Jade, the loving prostitute character seen about 2-3 times, makes the audience feel more of a connection than women who take up 5x the airtime, sometime is definitely odd about the writing.

I think the coroner who hit it off with Albert is pretty drat competent, too, but since I don't even remember her name, they didn't use her nearly enough.

Mel Karnofsky

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Phi230 posted:

As soon as I saw Metal Gear Hobo I knew shaggy was done

Metal Gear Squalid

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i dont think shelly is a bad character tho just cuz shes flawed n falls for bad boys which i find p hilarious actually cuz it means she probly left bobby the moment he got his poo poo together

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Diane is more than just bitter, Jane is one of the best characters in the show, Norma is still cool, and Tammy is just played by a poo poo actress

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We all knew Bobby was gonna be OK because his dad said he would be and Col. Briggs was never wrong. It must be weird for Shelly to watch her daughter making the same mistakes she did, all while she's probably telling herself she's not making them again.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Candy is controlling everything behind the scenes and is actually the most well put together character on the entire show

You'll all see

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Tammy is cool and I like her acting and exaggerated poses and faces. She's hilarious and a very Twin Peaks character.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Your Parents posted:

Tammy is cool and I like her acting and exaggerated poses and faces. She's hilarious and a very Twin Peaks character.

She exists solely to fidget and deliver exposition, and it's amazing.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MTV Crib Death posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned, but the impression I get is that Shelly is under some kind of paranormal influence by the crack magician. She's extremely emotional about her daughter's well being--a great performance by Amick--and then this rear end in a top hat appears in the window at it's like a switch is flipped. This is a woman so concerned about her daughter that she rode a car hood for the better part of the length of a football field and she fucks right off when this guy shows his goofy mug. My money's on the fact that Harry Heroindini took a shine to the local waitress and cast a spell on her.

maybe so but it's easy to forget shelly is a low key villain in the original series because she's so often victimized

JazzFlight posted:

Nah, it's totally valid. There's just not a really strong/smart woman character in the show. Janey-E is close and has saved the day a bunch, but she's pretty dumb in regards to Dougie (then again, everyone around "Dougie" glosses over his behavior).

we dont really know anything about dougie tho so maybe he behaved a lot like sleepy coop

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Shelley kissed the catatonic leo and he did not consent unless new shoes means yes