Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Bored As gently caress posted:

Jesus Christ people are so loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Not surprising considering his job is to blow smoke up everyones rear end while leading the previously Steve Jobs worshipping retards

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

Not surprising considering his job is to blow smoke up everyones rear end while leading the previously Steve Jobs worshipping retards

He's pissing off a lot of Artificial Intelligence guys too with his stuff about how dangerous it is.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Holy :lol: that Kushner statement. If there was ever a statement put out by Trump's Ministry of Propaganda, that was it.

"Mr. Trump won the election simply because he ran a better and smarter campaign.". Daddy in law has him by the nutsack.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Actual car makers like BMW are going to poo poo all over Musky in the coming two years.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Congressman Blake Farenthold (blob on right) wants to settle the healthcare debate "Aaron Burr-style" with Susan Collins. I think I'd put my money on her.

https://thinkprogress.org/gop-congressman-blames-health-care-struggle-on-repugnant-republican-female-senators-ca4a2f32c5d7

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CBJSprague24 posted:

Holy :lol: that Kushner statement. If there was ever a statement put out by Trump's Ministry of Propaganda, that was it.

"Mr. Trump won the election simply because he ran a better and smarter campaign.". Daddy in law has him by the nutsack.

Not many people would be willing to take Trump's sloppy seconds

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
What is the GiP gestalt on Iran? The current agreement gives them little to no oversight over some of the most important sites and personnel and freed up a lot of cash for a hostile regime. Obviously we don't want yet another war, and I can understand certifying their compliance to buy some time, but the status quo seems untenable if we have goals that involve keeping them from acquiring nukes or increasing their ability to finance proxy wars and terrorism abroad.

Maybe, having pissed away most international good will and stretching our military like Mike T.V. in a taffy pulling machine, there is no good option, but giving them access to billions in cash while they "self-inspect" the main center of their development program (Parchin, iirc) is pretty lousy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Derek Dominoe posted:

What is the GiP gestalt on Iran?

Persian chicks are hot as gently caress. :yeah:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

I hope they get him lying in an open session. If Donnie pardons him that might just be enough to get the 25th invoked and toss him out on his fat rear end before he can sign anymore.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'd rather we normalize relations with Iran rather than deal with Saudi Arabia's bullshit, personally.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope they get him lying in an open session. If Donnie pardons him that might just be enough to get the 25th invoked and toss him out on his fat rear end before he can sign anymore.

Republicans won't back impeachment proceedings, the only thing left in the political system is slavish dedication to one's party no matter what. He won't get impeached until the House and Senate get flipped, so 2018 at the minimum.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
cuck, cuck, goose

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/889551413239570436

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If we can stop whipping our dick into Iran's face there's a lot of popular support for getting the hard line assholes out of power and becoming a pretty decent country.

Which is of course exactly the opposite of what Donnie Dumbfuck and his cohorts will do so welp, try again in twenty years or so?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Hey remember that Iran was actively helping us get AQ dudes until the 'Axis of Evil' speech. Its almost like we've hosed with this country for 60 years and they have literally every reason in the world to not like us.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Poland’s President Vetoes 2 Proposed Laws Limiting Courts’ Independence

quote:

WARSAW — Following tumultuous protests, and warnings from the European Union, Poland’s president vetoed two proposed laws on Monday that would have given the right-wing governing party direct control of the judiciary.

Poles denouncing the laws as a retreat from democratic norms had taken to the streets by the tens of thousands, and the European Union, which Poland joined in 2004, had warned Warsaw that adopting the laws — which the bloc’s officials called a threat to judicial independence and the rule of law — could result in legal sanctions.

Nonetheless, the decision by the president, Andrzej Duda, was unexpected. He was elected in May 2015 as the handpicked candidate of the right-wing Law and Justice Party, which won parliamentary elections later that year, and until now has been a steadfast ally of the government, though there have been rumors of a rift between Mr. Duda and the party’s leader, Jaroslaw Kaczynski.

However:

quote:

Later in the morning, Mr. Duda said that he would sign a third bill, which reorganizes Poland’s local judiciary, giving the justice minister the power to select the heads of the local courts and — in certain cases — even to direct judges to particular cases.

Thankfully:

quote:

Mr. Duda said he was troubled by provisions that gave the country’s chief prosecutor and justice minister power over the choice of high court justices. He was also upset that the bill was pressed through Parliament without being presented to his office for consultations.

“Poland needs reform of the judiciary,” Mr. Duda said, “but I am a supporter of a wise reform.”

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Derek Dominoe posted:

What is the GiP gestalt on Iran? The current agreement gives them little to no oversight over some of the most important sites and personnel and freed up a lot of cash for a hostile regime. Obviously we don't want yet another war, and I can understand certifying their compliance to buy some time, but the status quo seems untenable if we have goals that involve keeping them from acquiring nukes or increasing their ability to finance proxy wars and terrorism abroad.

Maybe, having pissed away most international good will and stretching our military like Mike T.V. in a taffy pulling machine, there is no good option, but giving them access to billions in cash while they "self-inspect" the main center of their development program (Parchin, iirc) is pretty lousy.

The nuclear deal exclusively covers Iran's ability to acquire nuclear weapons. It's by design that it doesn't cover Iran sponsoring terrorism, supporting Shia proxies like Hezbollah, or intervening directly with their own militias in other ME states (Iraq and Syria). There would have been no deal with Iran otherwise, both because Iran wouldn't have agreed to such a deal, and because the other powers supporting the sanctions regime that forced Tehran into these negotiations were not all opposed to these Iranian activities (Russia, China to a lesser degree). It's purely about nuclear weapons, and it only abolished the sanctions placed on Iran for seeking nukes. Some of these sanctions froze access to money that Iran earned for selling oil. By abolishing the sanctions, Iran gained access to money that was legally theirs anyway.

So the deal should only be judged on the merits of preventing Iran from getting nukes. And on this front, basically everybody agrees that it is effective, with the exception of the Iran war hawks. Iran isn't allowed to self-inspect Parchin. Some reports say that Iranians are allowed to collect the samples from Parchins themselves, as long as an International Atomic Energy Agency inspector is present. But that's only an unverified leak, and even if it was true, it would still be far away from "self-inspection". The other members of the P5+1 who negotiated the deal with Tehran all have a vested interest in preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons, yet they agree with the IAEA that Iran complies with the deal. Even if you suspect that Russia would shield Iran's nuclear program, Europe is well within range of Iran's ballistic missiles, and they don't have an alliance with Tehran that could make them cover for Iran. So it comes down to this: Do you believe the US Iran hawks, or do you believe the IAEA and the other world powers.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 24, 2017

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
^Good post.

I think all that's valid, but I do wonder how long Iran's regime can stay afloat if starved for cash. Genuine question. Might not matter since even Best Korea managed to build a nuke.

redneck nazgul posted:

I'd rather we normalize relations with Iran rather than deal with Saudi Arabia's bullshit, personally.

I'd rather watch them both burn but

orange juche posted:

I mean I share all of the concerns about the environmental impact of fracking and wastewater injection but low oil prices are burning a lot of Middle Eastern assholes' mountains of cash so Oklahoma seems like a worthwhile trade-off.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 24, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Iran could probably last a while given it's closeness with Iraq and their previously demonstrated willingness to subvert international sanctions for Iran

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Derek Dominoe posted:

What is the GiP gestalt on Iran?

Iran being openly hostile and seeking the bomb is bad.

Helping enable the Saudi's and the rest of the dipshits in the region in their jihad against Shia is also bad

Everyone involved is an rear end in a top hat but Iran at least has a no poo poo reason to hate and distrust the US, also

orange juche posted:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I look forward to visiting Iran when I'm like 70 because by then their baby boomers will have died off.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Bolow posted:

Iran being openly hostile and seeking the bomb is bad.

Helping enable the Saudi's and the rest of the dipshits in the region in their jihad against Shia is also bad

Everyone involved is an rear end in a top hat but Iran at least has a no poo poo reason to hate and distrust the US, also

Iran probably wouldn't be so hostile and so excited to get the bomb if the world's biggest nuclear power wasn't constantly raring to go to war with them. In the 21st century, the only way to ensure your nation's sovereignty is to be a nuclear power, otherwise it takes a negligible amount of effort for the US or Russia to just completely dismantle your country with no repercussions.

edit: that's also not going into how the Republicans like to crow about Iran being a destabilizing force in the region, when they were one of the first nations to commit ground troops to push back ISIS's advancement into Iraq. Not to mention the constant saber-rattling and random invasions of neighbors that Saudi Arabia and Israel are constantly doing. At least Iran has elections of a sort, that's a huge step up over the Saudis.

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 24, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Derek Dominoe posted:

Much like vietnam, we've been backing the wrong horse in the region for decades and given the general competence of US foreign policy since WW2 we will eventually throw the Saudis under a bus, give the entire royal family the Diem treatment and THEN pick a fight with Iran.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bird food bathtub posted:

I wonder how much of the diehard MAGAwarrior Tea-hadist support one Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III can manage to peel off by being a stupendous poo poo bag and cracking down on legal marijuana. Won't happen among the olds because "IT'S THE DEVIL'S GATEWAY DRUG" and all, but I have to think some of the poo poo head reddit supporters will change their minds about supporting him. They'll never admit to that of course, they'll just go silent and pretend to not care about politics anymore but that's probably the best this timeline has to offer.

Olds aren't against it as you think. I live in a retirement community(in Florida) that voted 78% in favor of legalization.

Only racists and crazies are still in favor of keeping it illegal.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Trump speaking about HC

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The Iranians are terrible actors and I'm profoundly unhappy that we unfroze that 200 or 400 billion of theirs. They pretty immediately poured their newfound liquid assets into Syria, making the conflict a great deal worse and spawning the flood of refugees, and so on and so forth.

I'm also not in love with some of the compliance mechanisms.

Still, I also really don't want nuclear weapons in the hands of the Islamic Republic. Bad enough Pakistan and India do. And if this agreement accomplishes that, which I expect it will, then the other consequences are the inevitable result of compromise.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TBeats posted:

Trump speaking about HC

"speaking" is a little much, parsing this is a nightmare.

e; Wonder if anyone he's talking about would have insurance at all without ACA.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
These people are standing behind trump

Thom and the Heads posted:

every day normal americans

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

That woman needs to reset her mass effect eyebrow sliders.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

TBeats posted:

The guy is an off-brand Paul Ryan.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Is that a Paul Ryan impersonator?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

That woman needs to reset her mass effect eyebrow sliders.

That feeling when you become an internet meme

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paul Ryan's stunt double.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pesticide20 posted:

Is that a Paul Ryan impersonator?

Nah it's his stunt cock.

I didn't get a chance to hear Kushner speak so the belief that he sounds like Gilbert Godfried remains. Thanks John Oliver!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

TBeats posted:

That feeling when you become an internet meme

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Did a Twitter search for "eyebrows". Twitter delivered

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/kevins206/status/889576359072337920

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

cowboy elvis posted:

The resistance to legal weed baffles me. So much money is being left on the table.

The lobbying's mostly from --
  • Police Unions
  • Prison Guard Unions
  • Private Prison Industry
  • Pharmaceutical Industry
  • Alcohol & Tobacco
The combination of strained state budgets and lobbying from our budding pot industry should be enough to overtake them soon enough

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TBeats posted:

I don't think eyebrows work like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MrYenko posted:

I know the dispensaries in WA state very specifically do not make any copies of, nor do they note anything about your ID (required to prove age, I think,) but they also only accept cash, so there is no way for the Feds to chase down a customer. (And more importantly for them, no records for them to keep, outside of sales records for taxes.)

I'm sure Kalifornia will be more than happy to legally require a paper trail so that you cannot exercise all of your rights.

Dispensaries take cash because banks, out of a reasonable fear of federal investigation and seizure, refuse to take their money. If you've ever wondered why they seem to be robbery-magnets, it's not because the customers are on the devil's lettuce.

I don't know whether the nonmedical dispensaries will also have a registration system, but even if they do, prop 64 also allows everyone to grow "up to six plants" in your home, so there you go.

• Locked thread