Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Agent355 posted:

I always struggle with GTA sort of games where the plot is one thing and then the gameplay is something different. In watch dogs 2 it's that the main characters are interested in taking down the establishment and punishing these guilty sons of bitches. Then the first thing you do is steal some completely innocent person's car and take the ipad from the passengers seat for some extra chump change.

I know it shouldn't be a big thing but man I just completely hate the tonal shifts.

GTA IV was famous for this.

"I'm so glad I'm in america now and can leave all that bad stuff behind me" *steals cars and shoots prostitutes 5 seconds in*

i can buy the carjacking and gunfights because the world is meant to be slightly more heightened and barbaric in GTA than our world. it's why the ingame ads are double entendres and why the radio personalities come off more unhinged than usual; like if that setting from "The Lady and the Tiger" was modernized. Or like how Uncharted is meant to be a modern pulp adventure so the hero has to mow down small armies just to cross a forest.

my problem with Rockstar's writing is that they force their characters into these contrived situations to become criminals. the only reason the guys in V get together is because Michael loses his temper and causes a ridiculous amount of property damage and has to resort to his old ways to get the money. Niko in IV i think had a similar situation where crime found him in America even though he complains over and over again that he wants to start fresh.

i liked John Marston's motivation in RDR because he's a reformed criminal who's forced by the government to hunt down his old gang because the government has his family. it's a simple enough backstory that gradually gets revealed as the story progresses. and not once does Marston ever consider going back into crime; he has his priorities straight and every thing he does all goes back into saving his family.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Action Tortoise posted:

i can buy the carjacking and gunfights because the world is meant to be slightly more heightened and barbaric in GTA than our world. it's why the ingame ads are double entendres and why the radio personalities come off more unhinged than usual; like if that setting from "The Lady and the Tiger" was modernized. Or like how Uncharted is meant to be a modern pulp adventure so the hero has to mow down small armies just to cross a forest.

my problem with Rockstar's writing is that they force their characters into these contrived situations to become criminals. the only reason the guys in V get together is because Michael loses his temper and causes a ridiculous amount of property damage and has to resort to his old ways to get the money. Niko in IV i think had a similar situation where crime found him in America even though he complains over and over again that he wants to start fresh.

i liked John Marston's motivation in RDR because he's a reformed criminal who's forced by the government to hunt down his old gang because the government has his family. it's a simple enough backstory that gradually gets revealed as the story progresses. and not once does Marston ever consider going back into crime; he has his priorities straight and every thing he does all goes back into saving his family.

Yeah, Michael's tantrum is incredibly contrived. I mean, it's funny, but I'd more easily buy him going in there and shooting people than I do him demolishing the building.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, Michael's tantrum is incredibly contrived. I mean, it's funny, but I'd more easily buy him going in there and shooting people than I do him demolishing the building.

yeah, if it was in an earlier GTA game the mission would end and it would have played off as a joke. but now there's Consequences To You Actions, Except When There Isn't.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

yeah, if it was in an earlier GTA game the mission would end and it would have played off as a joke. but now there's Consequences To You Actions, Except When There Isn't.
my favourite example of this is still San Andreas making the driving force behind the entire plot that CJ is being blackmailed over the death of one cop. I honestly thought it was a joke at first

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my favourite example of this is still San Andreas making the driving force behind the entire plot that CJ is being blackmailed over the death of one cop. I honestly thought it was a joke at first

San Andreas is just the dumbest poo poo because you're a loving millionaire by the end of the game and could buy and sell Tenpenny a thousand times over.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

San Andreas is just the dumbest poo poo because you're a loving millionaire by the end of the game and could buy and sell Tenpenny a thousand times over.

more line ten million times if you're a millionaire and he's ten pennies

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Fallout 4 is the best game posted:

Yeah I picked up on the adventure mode thing pretty quick, but like. They could just put what you said as the actual adventure mode description and it'd be 100% better. I'm really enjoying it though. I only went with the season because it promised me a free armor set and by "clear act I, II and III" I thought it meant story mode, not random achievements.

Yeah there's bounties, rifts, greater rifts, keywardens and then season journey that grants you the armor set and unique pets and poo poo. The season is in no way for speedrunners only - it's a great incentive to come back and play again (you keep your stuff and paragon xp you gained each season for your account)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Slime posted:

more line ten million times if you're a millionaire and he's ten pennies

Oh poo poo, the secret of GTA:SA is you had to offer him a dime.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fil5000 posted:

Oh poo poo, the secret of GTA:SA is you had to offer him a dime.

Pretty sure that business is what got Carl in trouble in the first place.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Pretty sure that business is what got Carl in trouble in the first place.

:v:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just finished Prey over the weekend - really enjoyed the game, exploring, the characters you find out about, all that. But the last act of the game has you running through the station to complete a few final goals, which means running through multiple loading zones. And those loading times ain't short.

Also there are a few bugs, like the crew objective tracker disappearing, or a quest to save someone failing automatically for buggy reasons, that really annoyed me while playing. Still, really liked the game as a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Gameplay only matters in missions.

For how much Pokemon Sun is shaking things up with this Totem Pokemon stuff, I wonder if it was a good idea, with how the game starts to slow down with just three pokemon on screen.

Also, how are we seven generations in and double battles still a rarity?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Because double battles were a bad idea but you cant stuff that poo poo back in pandoras box once its been opened.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

nah, that's more an arena shooter like bullet storm with a suffocating plot.

honestly it'd be funny to see an Overlord/Pikmin kinda game with mobsters. just point at a crowd and tell your goons to break some legs.

A game where you play as tom nook with your swarm of raccoon goons, collecting payment and protection money from your countless starved debtors

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RagnarokAngel posted:

Because double battles were a bad idea but you cant stuff that poo poo back in pandoras box once its been opened.

But at least we have quad free-for-all battles - where everyone can tag team you to oblivion.
As a personal issue, I don't remember if the other battle frontiers were this hard or maybe I'm just unlucky - but the Battle tree throws volcarona's around like crazy from the get-go. Stop dancing you fluttering bastards!

Also the Poke' Finder is probably the closest we will ever get to Pokemon Snap 2, despite having two consoles that would have been perfect for the camera gimmick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

For how much Pokemon Sun is shaking things up with this Totem Pokemon stuff, I wonder if it was a good idea, with how the game starts to slow down with just three pokemon on screen.

Also, how are we seven generations in and double battles still a rarity?

The totem battles are a neat idea in concept but in execution they highlight every weakness of the pokemon battle system right down to chugging like a dying steam locomotive when there are three pokemon and a persistent visual effect on screen.

Im also confused as to why they drop the totem conceit for the elite 4 when there are literally 4 legendary totem monsters that you dont fight during the game but are constantly told about.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

BioEnchanted posted:

Dog's Life has dedicated button combos for pooping and peeing. And if you've just pooped he farts instead. Get on the weird PS2 game's level, bitch!

A Boy and His Blob for Wii had a dedicated Hug Blob button. It was every bit as amazing as it sounds.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nth Doctor posted:

A Boy and His Blob for Wii had a dedicated Hug Blob button. It was every bit as amazing as it sounds.

Red Dead Redemption had a button that let you politely greet a nearby person. I liked calling out greetings to folk I passed on horseback and tipping my hats to people in towns.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Digirat posted:

A game where you play as tom nook with your swarm of raccoon goons, collecting payment and protection money from your countless starved debtors

AC COP: (grilling racoon in the interrogation room) Got anything to say, punk?

RACOON: I did it all for the Nookie.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm really disappointed no game let's me relive the wonder of the Diablo 2 Lagmancer, running around with tons of minions killing stuff before it pops up on screen. Modern games always limit that stuff to like 3 zombies that live for 20 seconds or something and that's if they even let you have more than one.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hel posted:

I'm really disappointed no game let's me relive the wonder of the Diablo 2 Lagmancer, running around with tons of minions killing stuff before it pops up on screen. Modern games always limit that stuff to like 3 zombies that live for 20 seconds or something and that's if they even let you have more than one.

Diablo 3 brings the witch doctor, who can eventually have up to 6 zombie dogs*, a giant, up to 15 fetishes**, and 5-8 seperate fetishes at once***

*6 zombie dogs is only possible if you take three passive skills, which all give +1 zombie dog in addition to 15-30% increased movement speed, 30% life, and 50% additional damage from zombie dogs and the giant
**the 15 fetishes come from a passive skill where your attacks have a 15% chance to summon a fetish that lives for 60 seconds, but the WD has so many attacks that deal tons of chip damage that you'll usually have 8-15 at a time in a group of enemies
***different runes for the "fetish army" skill will increase how many fetishes are active during the skill, or what kind of fetishes are summoned, they last for 20 seconds, and have a 120 second cooldown. 90 second cooldown with the "devoted following" rune

So yeah, it's very situational but at the very least you can always have an army of seven minions

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I know I'm in the minority on this and there are ~lore and meta gameplay reasons~ but I hate that you can't just pause the game in the Dark Souls series. It's such a simple thing that you take for granted ever since Mario in the '80s and for it to be gone is really grating.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nostradingus posted:

I know I'm in the minority on this and there are ~lore and meta gameplay reasons~ but I hate that you can't just pause the game in the Dark Souls series. It's such a simple thing that you take for granted ever since Mario in the '80s and for it to be gone is really grating.

In Bloodborne you can hop out of the game by pressing the home button on the PS4 controller. I don't have PS+ all the time, so I dunno if that would affect it but it feels great to take a break during sessions and grab a drink or whatever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

More Watch Dogs 2 stuff: it irritates me that there's practically no cast of characters. You have Marcus and his crew, Miranda, the antagonist, and everyone else exists only for the duration of one mission. Mission objectives and themes similarly pop up out of nowhere (Eye for an Eye, which we talked about earlier, probably being the worst offender). It makes for a very disjointed story.

Oh and also the later missions rely a bit too much on forcing you to infiltrate a building and get out again. Just let me use my cool RC stuff!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bewilderment posted:

I'm glad it's mostly dying out but playing some older Diablo-like and RPG games makes me wish devs realised that loving up a build isn't fun, obsessively following a guide isn't fun, just make all options sensible and viable in a game. And make things like respeccing free.

Like if I'm playing some random RPG and am playing a magicman don't let me somehow "put points into Strength" unless that's actually an intended and viable build.

And obviously if builds are no-take-backsies, then sure as poo poo I'm going to look up a proven cookie cutter build instead of experimenting and potentially loving up. Of course some games swing the other way where even with more or less total freedom the systems are so pointlessly elaborate and full of redundant bullshit (I'm specifically thinking of The Secret World here) that it's exhausting to try and narrow down an effective build.

Since I've been in the mood for an ARPG that isn't so obnoxiously crunchy, I started on Victor Vran and it's pretty fun so far, but I wish the default weapon pairing of sword and shotgun wasn't so ludicrously synergistic. I can easily see myself unerringly using them through the entire game except for the challenges that require something else.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'll be the voice on the other side of the fence then :shrug:

If a game lets me respec too easily I feel like nothing I do matters and lose all interest. I don't need to have the perfect build and the game should be balanced such that anybody with have a brain can make a reasonable build (pick a main attack, maybe a secondary attack, defense skills, passives) without completely ruining a character, but I don't mind if I'm not super top tier with somethign I pull out of my rear end.

The openness of D3's skill system made me actively enjoy the game less because it made me less connected to the character. The barbarian or w/e I was playing wasn't 'mine' anymore, all because I could completely change him at the drop of the hat so what choices was I really making?

It's the same thing as playing a telltale game twice, once you realize that nothing matters some of the magic is gone.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Red Dead Redemption had a button that let you politely greet a nearby person. I liked calling out greetings to folk I passed on horseback and tipping my hats to people in towns.

And in Red dead if you were of a bad disposition (always breaking the law,killing innocents,high bounty etc.) you would only greet people with insults.

John M : Maam you.are.ugly.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

spit on my clit posted:

Diablo 3 brings the witch doctor, who can eventually have up to 6 zombie dogs*, a giant, up to 15 fetishes**, and 5-8 seperate fetishes at once***

*6 zombie dogs is only possible if you take three passive skills, which all give +1 zombie dog in addition to 15-30% increased movement speed, 30% life, and 50% additional damage from zombie dogs and the giant
**the 15 fetishes come from a passive skill where your attacks have a 15% chance to summon a fetish that lives for 60 seconds, but the WD has so many attacks that deal tons of chip damage that you'll usually have 8-15 at a time in a group of enemies
***different runes for the "fetish army" skill will increase how many fetishes are active during the skill, or what kind of fetishes are summoned, they last for 20 seconds, and have a 120 second cooldown. 90 second cooldown with the "devoted following" rune

So yeah, it's very situational but at the very least you can always have an army of seven minions

That's still not even close to the permanent 20 Skeletons+ 20 skeleton mages + 1 golem+ 20 timed revives you could have in D2

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Hel posted:

Modern games always limit that stuff to like 3 zombies that live for 20 seconds or something and that's if they even let you have more than one.

spit on my clit posted:

31 concurrent summons

Hel posted:

That's still not even close to the permanent 20 Skeletons+ 20 skeleton mages + 1 golem+ 20 timed revives you could have in D2

Even if you were right that's some :colbert:ing right there

In Diablo 2 you could raise 8 skeletons and 8 mages max. That's 16 + golem. You wouldn't raise enemies because that skill was useless and they would live for like 20 seconds and would be only be useful as a gimmick if there were 8 players with you on map. Oh an you wouldn't play summonmancer before patch 1.10 because before synergies the skeletons were useless in hell.

You're way off

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

No, it was 20+20 back when it was first launched. It didn't become 8 max until later and people absolutely played it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Agent355 posted:

No, it was 20+20 back when it was first launched. It didn't become 8 max until later and people absolutely played it.

I know people played it but it wasn't viable in the late game. Like you hit a wall difficulty-wise and had to create another build. Also even after 1.10 your main damage output was the teeth spell.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Just because something wasn't viable in hell didn't mean people didn't play it.

Most people only played through normal and maybe nightmare, plenty of time to build nostalgia over zoonecro.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You wouldn't be able to beat bosses on normal but I digress. D3 has this poo poo figured in regards to summoning characters. All characters in d3 have a zoo style build :toot:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What I remember most about D2 zoonecro is Nightmare Andariel using that poison spray attack once, killing all of my skeletons simultaneously, and me not having any means to kill the boss. Act bosses had huge bonuses against minions.

It was fun but definitely not useful.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vic posted:

You wouldn't be able to beat bosses on normal but I digress

You did, it just took a lot of determination. :negative:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

What I remember most about D2 zoonecro is Nightmare Andariel using that poison spray attack once, killing all of my skeletons simultaneously, and me not having any means to kill the boss. Act bosses had huge bonuses against minions.

It was fun but definitely not useful.

One counter to this very problem I like in D3 is that my raise skill has a modifier I can pick that turns my zombies back into corpses when they die. So if like, there's a handful of specific zombies that are real good and strong I can just keep reviving them forever. Or if I get into a fight with a boss and it doesn't generate new bodies, I can just bring my buddies back when they die.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This season of D3 is kinda dragging itself down for me, because the 4pc for the necromancer set I'm using isn't as innately powerful as the last season's Demon Hunter one was. I don't remember having any issues with the seasonal journey last season, but this time I've hit a bit of a wall early and its kinda discouraging.

Like, the solution is simple - do stuff until the other set my build needs (weapon and shield) - but it's kinda a catch-22 of motivation: I don't have the stuff to punch higher, so the process of getting to be able to punch higher is innately discouraging.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bewilderment posted:

I'm glad it's mostly dying out but playing some older Diablo-like and RPG games makes me wish devs realised that loving up a build isn't fun, obsessively following a guide isn't fun, just make all options sensible and viable in a game. And make things like respeccing free.

Like if I'm playing some random RPG and am playing a magicman don't let me somehow "put points into Strength" unless that's actually an intended and viable build.
I really like Dragon Age: Origins, but the unnecessary complexity is really annoying. Like, is it better to get the helmet with +3 defence or the one with a slightly higher armour rating? Some spells have special interactions with other spells, but it won't tell you which ones. This sword does more damage but has a lower chance of critical hits and that one does +10% fire damage. And you've got four (or more) characters to try to find the best equipment and abilities for, and each of the three classes has different requirements, not to mention the twelve different specialisations. I don't even know how much difference any of it makes, but it makes me constantly suspect that I could be doing a lot better if I understood what the hell everything does and how it all interacts.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I'm playing Nier for the first time after playing Nier: Automata.

It's pretty cool that the control scheme is more or less the same from both games. I can bridge the games mechanically because of it, but playing Automata first really makes me notice the difference in feel between games. Nier's combat is janky and he takes a while to switch directions while running. Boars steer like tanks. Dodging kinda has i-frames, but sometimes doesn't.

I know it's not fair to compare an old game with its much-improved sequel, but I'm pretty sure I'd feel the same way without experiencing Automata.

Also, I've been warned not to worry about clearing all the quests on the first run, but I know Imma be back on my poo poo with taking on every quest I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I tend to do every sidequest if possible unless something discourages me - being unable to beat the second guy at Gwent in Witcher 3 put me off the card game for the rest of the playthrough for example.