Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have unleashed a dark evil upon the world by mentioning the Hobbit films and I am genuinely sorry for it.

Is there some sort of CD-Batsignal leftover from Radium's old forum code that makes this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are a lot of small cuts and ellipses made in Fellowship but relatively few of them are actual contradictions or changes to the base story. Arwen for Glorfindel is a direct change, and a major one, but one that can be defended for a lot of reasons (the female love interest should probably appear before the appendix).

She appears in the Council of Elrond chapter in the books.

Making her a temporary action hero and wizard extraordinaire doesn't add anything to the "romance" story (really both books and films treat her as just a prize for Aragorn following her introduction, rather than an actual "love interest" involved in the narrative).

Eowyn's the female romantic lead of the series, and a decent one (since she has depth and an actual arc).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sassassin posted:

Eowyn's the female romantic lead of the series, and a decent one (since she has depth and an actual arc).

And better than the books in that regard since there she literally gives up everything that makes her Éowyn as soon as she catches the eye of the handsome prince

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you take out Eowyn there are 0 female characters in the first movie .

I mean they could have made Merry female I guess.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

euphronius posted:

If you take out Eowyn there are 0 female characters in the first movie .

I mean they could have made Merry female I guess.

I hear Cate Blanchett was in there somewhere

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sassassin posted:

I think we can all agree that the Tolkien estate is right to keep The Silmarillion etc. out of the hands of Hollywood.

I will never stop hoping for the Studio Ghibli Lay of Leithian.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Runcible Cat posted:

I will never stop hoping for the Studio Ghibli Lay of Leithian.

How dare you make me think about this thing that I now want desperately.

Black Leaf
Nov 19, 2016

by Smythe

sassassin posted:

PJ's The Hobbit movies are much more faithful to the books than his The Lord of the Rings, they just fell under a much harsher lens having come later, and not having the novelty/innovation factor.

Tauriel is even a good addition because unlike almost every other character she has an observable arc and development (Thorin and Bilbo's will-they won't-they bromance is extremely clumsy by comparison). It's also one of the more obvious cases of a director putting his sexual fantasies up on screen.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That's a drat fine probation reason!

And Aragorn should have united the kingdoms by marrying Eomer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

I hear Cate Blanchett was in there somewhere

Forgot about her

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

And better than the books in that regard since there she literally gives up everything that makes her Éowyn as soon as she catches the eye of the handsome prince

If you mean she gives up her foolish romantic view of bloodshed, battle & "glory" then yes, but it's not Faramir's attention that changes her, it's Pelennor Fields.

Witnessing the death of Theoden, facing down the Witch King of Angmar and almost dying in the process makes her grow up and her reward is the best guy in the books.

She's one of the few characters with a real arc.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 24, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

sassassin posted:

If you mean she gives up her foolish Romantic view of bloodshed, battle & "glory" then yes, but it's not Faramir's attention that changes her, it's Pelennor Fields.

Witnessing the death of Theoden, facing down the Witch King of Angmar and almost dying in the process makes her grow up and her reward is the best guy in the books.

She's one of the few characters with a real arc.

Eowyn is also depressed and shell shocked and falls in love with Faramir because he's sympathetic to her problems and doesn't dismiss her, but instead validates her and encouraged her to heal from her physical and psychological wounds because he's confident they don't define her.

but sure let's degrade her character by calling it "catching the eye of a handsome prince"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Faramir wasn't a prince, his father was only the Steward :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Another way in which I'm being tongue in cheek

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ashcans posted:

Faramir wasn't a prince, his father was only the Steward :colbert:

He gets made a prince by Aragon doesn't he?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I have unleashed a dark evil upon the world by mentioning the Hobbit films and I am genuinely sorry for it.

Is there some sort of CD-Batsignal leftover from Radium's old forum code that makes this happen?
No.

Here's my hot take: Judged on their own merits, the three LotR movies are a drat good ride, not being faithful isn't a sign or lack of quality. The Hobbit movies aren't bad because they :airquote: defile the canon, :airquote: they're bad because they're bloated and unfocused and thematically incoherent.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PMush Perfect posted:

No.

Here's my hot take: Judged on their own merits, the three LotR movies are a drat good ride, not being faithful isn't a sign or lack of quality. The Hobbit movies aren't bad because they :airquote: defile the canon, :airquote: they're bad because they're bloated and unfocused and thematically incoherent.

That's true, but those aren't exclusive options: the original Hobbit text was tight and focused and thematically coherent. Jackson made good and bad changes in different films, but most of his early changes were necessary "fixes", either to problems in the text or to problems introduced by the shift to film.

By the.time he gets to Hobbit 3 though he's just farting around.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 24, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PMush Perfect posted:

No.

My hot take: deciding whether things are "good" or "bad" is a waste of time and a poor excuse for actual criticism.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Black Leaf posted:

That's a drat fine probation reason!

And Aragorn should have united the kingdoms by marrying Eomer.

Marrying Faramir off served the same purpose, while allowing him to marry (back) into the line of Noldorian kings. Reading as an adult, Aragorn was quite the canny politician, albeit a good-hearted and noble one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Marrying Faramir off served the same purpose, while allowing him to marry (back) into the line of Noldorian kings. Reading as an adult, Aragorn was quite the canny politician, albeit a good-hearted and noble one.

Indeed. I really enjoy the low-key consolidation of power that Aragorn is able to carry out. Tolkien doesn't approach it as an intrigue at all but it's quite remarkable how a pretender from a foreign country, his claim millennia old, with no wealth or army to speak of, is able to seize the throne based almost entirely on his personal relationships with the de jure ruler of Minas Tirith, the most powerful vassal lord in Gondor, and the nominally vassal king of Rohan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, he also had the support of Elrond.

He also played up Pippin's noble status, though I don't think it helped much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His Magic sword and blood also helped.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kinda neat how it's a fusion of the Arthurian-legendary and the medieval-pragmatic eras of English royal history that Tolkien would have been endlessly deluged with throughout his education even if he weren't interested in it.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Please, everyone knows that no further proof was needed after Ioreth backed him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

Indeed. I really enjoy the low-key consolidation of power that Aragorn is able to carry out. Tolkien doesn't approach it as an intrigue at all but it's quite remarkable how a pretender from a foreign country, his claim millennia old, with no wealth or army to speak of, is able to seize the throne based almost entirely on his personal relationships with the de jure ruler of Minas Tirith, the most powerful vassal lord in Gondor, and the nominally vassal king of Rohan.

Isn't this basically the angle that The Last Ringbearer uses to argue the whole trilog y is elf propaganda?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He did have an army though .

Also denethor betrayed the kingdom so I don't think the Stewards were real popular. That is a tense part of the book of you remember after Pelanor. Aragon doesn't run into the city but plays it cool and builds street cred by healing people (magic blood again )

It's real easy to support a monarch when they literally are racial super men .

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, he also had the support of Elrond.

He also played up Pippin's noble status, though I don't think it helped much.

I forgot about the Pippin part, but you're right!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Isn't this basically the angle that The Last Ringbearer uses to argue the whole trilog y is elf propaganda?

I couldn't get through it but my understanding is that its Aragorn is a puppet of the elves. Which is certainly not without basis since Elrond does strongly back him, but the reason why he is able to make it good is because Eomer and Imrahil are on the spot with armies (Imrahil in particular takes the liberty of inviting him into the city) and Faramir doesn't resist his claim.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kinda like the theory that "The Eagles" are a propaganda replacement for "orcs not affiliated with Sauron".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
And let's not forget how absurdly weak Aragon's claim is. It's roughly equivalent to a King Ralph situation where that guy in Canada who had Richard III's dna tries to claim the throne of modern England.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Kinda like the theory that "The Eagles" are a propaganda replacement for "orcs not affiliated with Sauron".

I like the idea that sometimes it does mean literal actual giant divine birds, and sometimes that's just the go-to lie for when the truth was too embarrassing (because it was actually free orcs). Nobody would believe in eagles if it hadn't actually happened a couple times.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

PMush Perfect posted:

YES DID SOMEBODY BRING UP EAGLES I WILL YELL ABOUT THIS UNTIL THE END OF TIME

Really though, bringing back this legendary-status pair of heroes from certain death in Mordor and parading him-- and his utter loyalty-- through the city couldn't have hurt Aragorn's political standing at all. Absolutely worth cutting a deal with some orcs, a couple hostages in exchange for free passage to Harad, to be able to line up that kind of popular support. And if anybody asks how you got two lil dudes out of Mordor, well... Gondor is REALLY into old stories and citing the intervention of Eagles can only add to the mythical image of Aragorn's supporters.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
NEVER stop posting. :allears:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

What's the Last Ringbearer's explanation for how Gandalf gets free of Orthanc if the eagles are propaganda? Are he and Saruman in cahoots or what?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Radio! posted:

What's the Last Ringbearer's explanation for how Gandalf gets free of Orthanc if the eagles are propaganda? Are he and Saruman in cahoots or what?
As fellow rootless cosmopolitans I am sure they could have collaborated to fool the good men of the East.

And let's not forget how absurdly weak Aragon's claim is. It's roughly equivalent to a King Ralph situation where that guy in Canada who had Richard III's dna tries to claim the throne of modern England.
Wasn't Aragorn's claim to being the king of Arnor pretty solid, it's just that the kingship was kind of a dead letter since Arnor seemed to be a moderate number of Dunedan living in treehouses plus Bree and the Shire?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Nessus posted:

Wasn't Aragorn's claim to being the king of Arnor pretty solid, it's just that the kingship was kind of a dead letter since Arnor seemed to be a moderate number of Dunedan living in treehouses plus Bree and the Shire?

He's the rightful king of Those Guys Over There and a bunch of townships entirely unaware of his existence. Fortunately kingship carries a certain sacred quality in LotR and you can't really get around that. You might as well ask why one of the many Stewards didn't just declare themselves King.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I thought they were more of an autonomous collective.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The "healing hands of the king" are interesting because Tolkien explicitly links it to basic Elven healing "magic" that Elladan and Elrohir are able to carry out in secret right afterwards. It's a matter of education, not bloodline. And the prophecy was almost certainly invented by some old bearded fellow roaming around the city in ages past.

There's nothing divine about Aragorn's right to rule Gondor. His ascendancy is carefully curated.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Like his whole special deal for the first 4 books is that he's a big Numenorean Man out of ancient stories and destined to be more than just a scruffy ranger, but then when he actually gets to Gondor Tolkien surrounds him with equally special (if not more so) guys like Faramir (explicitly far more Numenorean-like than Boromir), Prince Imrahil (obvious Elven blood) and a pair of mudblood Elves defined largely by their lack of uniqueness.

He's a big part of Gandalf's quest to destroy his divine enemies and bring order to Middle Earth, but extremely replaceable (he had Faramir waiting in the wings after all).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nessus posted:

Right, but that's like the king of England saying "hey, make me king of France." Sure there was some overlap a thousand years ago so there is a technical claim, but really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aragorn is the only one with the right to summon the Dead men of dunharrow which is a big deal. I wouldn't say he is replaceable.

Additionally he's the only one with a claim to gondor and arnor. Faramir and Imrahil have no claim to Arnor.

Aragorn is a big deal !