Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SomeMathGuy posted:

Of course, the flip side is that Kira frequently seemed like the only reasonable Bajoran in the room. Maybe Bareil on a good day and look where that got him.

A big part of that is that Kira's looking at her homeworld after fighting a brutal war and so many people who seem willing to throw all that away for personal gain. (see Winn) She's in an utterly frustrating position overall, and has pretty big PTSD, it's no surprise she's angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gently caress though, DS9 had some of the most well-written antagonists in all of Trek.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drone posted:

gently caress though, DS9 had some of the most well-written antagonists in all of Trek.

We just watched the one where Winn is working with Bareil on the Cardassian peace treaty, and I kinda... didn't hate her, for the first time. Like she actually seemed pretty genuine and sympathetic for once. I was even thinking as Bashir was berating her, what the hell is he doing, trying to push her back into the old Winn? I was legit angry at him in that one, and not her.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Whoops, wrong bajoran.

The character of Kira was only created because Michelle Forbes turned down the offer to be Ro on DS9. If you imagine Ro in the place of Kira for all seven years of DS9 it works just fine.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

We just watched the one where Winn is working with Bareil on the Cardassian peace treaty, and I kinda... didn't hate her, for the first time. Like she actually seemed pretty genuine and sympathetic for once.

Louise Fletcher was so sick during the filming of that episode that the producers felt guilty for calling her in to work. Ira Behr said, "we would look at her and say, 'Jesus, she has no business being up. She should be in bed.'" All her lines had to be redubbed in ADR because she had laryngitis.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I was just doing a bit of wikisurfing and came across the World Uyghur Congress, an organization dedicated to serving the people in and from the East Turkistan region of China. The tiny website version of their logo reminded me of something so I zoomed and enhanced:

Hmm, seems a bit familiar...

(1933 is the year they first established freedom from the Chinese, the WUC was formed in 2004.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Winn was a great villain because she wanted what was best for everyone as long as she was in charge and wasn't willing to compromise on that condition one bit. It's a classic archetype.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Winn was a great villain because she wanted what was best for everyone as long as she was in charge and wasn't willing to compromise on that condition one bit. It's a classic archetype.

I remember during the election there were a few "Hillary as Kai Winn" photoshops made and they were all amazing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

I would say 'over designed' seems like an appropriate criticism for what we've seen if Discovery so far.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought going into some of these elements, but there's a level of overkill going on and that meticulous detail is never going to translate through the screen. It seems like a lot of resources going to something that no one is going to be able to appreciate.

It feels like they are designing the props and costumes for display in an exhibit rather than elements used for story telling.

Yeah, when I see them gushing over how they made costume parts out of hundreds of tiny little Starfleet insignia, and they had to fly some guy out from Switzerland for their super-fancy thread or whatever, it just seems grossly indulgent.

(The whole thing with sprinkling that goddamn arrowhead absolutely everywhere really irritates me, for some reason.)

bull3964 posted:

The video bitrate is too low and 720p only, the audio is only two channel, and the audio bitrate is also way too low which makes it sound like a late 90s MP3.

15 episodes at $6 /month means that you'll be paying minimum $24 for the season, but you'll likely pay more due to the way they are splitting the seasons, necessitating getting two partial months. So, likely going to be $30.

That's with ads and all of the quality issues stated above. And you don't own it.

You can buy most full seasons of TV on Vudu for that price. That gives you high bitrate 1080p streaming, 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus audio, and you own it without commercials.

I would be happy to plunk down $30 for Discovery, but only on Vudu, Amazon, or Google Play. I'm not giving up that $30 to all access.

Someone needs to tell CBS that split seasons went out of style with Battlestar Galactica and LOST.

Also holy poo poo, 720p only and bad quality as well?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I was just doing a bit of wikisurfing and came across the World Uyghur Congress, an organization dedicated to serving the people in and from the East Turkistan region of China. The tiny website version of their logo reminded me of something so I zoomed and enhanced:

Hmm, seems a bit familiar...

(1933 is the year they first established freedom from the Chinese, the WUC was formed in 2004.)

Right, they're both referencing the United Nations logo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, when I see them gushing over how they made costume parts out of hundreds of tiny little Starfleet insignia, and they had to fly some guy out from Switzerland for their super-fancy thread or whatever, it just seems grossly indulgent.

(The whole thing with sprinkling that goddamn arrowhead absolutely everywhere really irritates me, for some reason.)

Someone needs to tell CBS that split seasons went out of style with Battlestar Galactica and LOST.

Also holy poo poo, 720p only and bad quality as well?

Meanwhile the pirates will be enjoying 1080p Web-DL copies sourced from Netflix

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Sir Kodiak posted:

Is the starfield in the Federation logo supposed to represent any stars in particular, or is it just a random design?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lord Hydronium posted:

Is the starfield in the Federation logo supposed to represent any stars in particular, or is it just a random design?

I think it's supposed to represent Earth, Vulcan, and Andoria, who founded the Federation.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm about to blow y'all's minds with the China National Space Administration's for-real logo:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MisterBibs posted:

I think it's supposed to represent Earth, Vulcan, and Andoria, who founded the Federation.

Everyone always forgets the Tellarites.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Everyone always forgets the Tellarites.

I remembered them (:spergin:) and checked Memory Alpha and would've edited it if I was wrong. Evidently it's said to be those three in an episode of Enterprise.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Drone posted:

I'm about to blow y'all's minds with the China National Space Administration's for-real logo:

The hilarious thing is that everyone uses a chevron like that because NASA did, and that shape on the NASA insignia represents an airplane.

:v:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I would say 'over designed' seems like an appropriate criticism for what we've seen if Discovery so far.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thought going into some of these elements, but there's a level of overkill going on and that meticulous detail is never going to translate through the screen. It seems like a lot of resources going to something that no one is going to be able to appreciate.

It feels like they are designing the props and costumes for display in an exhibit rather than elements used for story telling.

That reminds something someone else on the Internet wrote about Discovery's production design that chimes with most of what I've seen of the show.

quote:

Discovery's production design, however, is overall a chaotic blend of styles that don't fit together. Communicator, tricorder, phasers: TOS retro style. Starfleet bridges: Abramsverse. Discovery exterior: based on a sketch discarded for good reasons 40 years ago. Shenzhou exterior: 24th century. Shenzhou transporter: steampunk. Klingon ship: Gothic cathedral. Klingon costumes and props: ridiculously overdesigned. Klingon species: anything but Klingon.

The production design is good in the details (even the Klingon design has its merits although I hate it) but overall arbitrary. It is like many people with different agendas are working on the show, and just don't talk to each other. Or like people who boldly try to defy the principle that you can't have everything at once. I miss the old days when Matt Jefferies or Herman Zimmerman were in charge of the Art Department, who gave their shows a signature look, a feeling that it all belongs together.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I definitely agree about the Shenzhou; it doesn't feel like an evolution from the NX class at all, but rather something you would have seen in later DS9 or the TNG movies. It has all the hallmarks of an Eaves design.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't examine it closely, but I'll admit the Shenzhou looked cool as hell when I briefly saw it, but hooooo boy does it not look like it fits in style-wise. It could be docked next to the dang Prometheus and no one would bat an eye

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Timby posted:

It has all the hallmarks of an Eaves design.

Will we never escape this man's terror!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WampaLord posted:

I remember during the election there were a few "Hillary as Kai Winn" photoshops made and they were all amazing.

So the election was between Kai Winn and Grand Nagus Zek. What a world we live in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So the election was between Kai Winn and Grand Nagus Zek. What a world we live in.

No, Paul Ryan is Zek.

Trump is...did the Pakled leader have a name?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WampaLord posted:

No, Paul Ryan is Zek.

Trump is...did the Pakled leader have a name?

Grebnedlog, according to memory alpha.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

brunt is a better analogy imo

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Brunt was at least somewhat competent.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
More like Harry Mudd who pulled off the ultimate con.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zek had character growth and ended up embracing feminism and handing over control of the alliance to a union organizer. Zek is good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheScott2K posted:

Meanwhile the pirates will be enjoying 1080p Web-DL copies sourced from Netflix

Likely 4k actually. I would be very surprised if the Netflix release is not 4k at this point and it's very likely this show has a 4k workflow.

That's the thing that makes me burning mad. This could look FANTASTIC even if it falls on other levels, but the country of origin is going to get shafted with a worse copy with no ability to get better.

This has happened before. The Expanse is available in 4k when streaming. American Gods was available in Amazon Prime in 4k in other countries while we had to make due with a (admittedly great looking) 1080p version.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 24, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

Grebnedlog, according to memory alpha.

Ronald D Moore or someone must have had a friend called Goldenberg that he hated lol

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Samaritan Snare was season 2, prior to Ron Moore joining the show.

I'm not angry with myself, I'm just disappointed

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 24, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Ronald D Moore or someone must have had a friend called Goldenberg that he hated lol

Samaritan Snare was season 2, prior to Ron Moore joining the show.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tangentially related: this is the baseball cap I had custom made when I couldn't find a Star Trek cap I liked anywhere.

It's a little :downs: because I guess the embroidery machine at the hat place isn't that great or maybe the guy operating it jiggled it mid-stitch or something but I like it and people recognize it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The gold and blue reminds of seaQuest DSV a little, but I'm gonna be a little weird here and say that I think I like your cap a bit more because it's imperfectly embroidered and not some sterile logo with perfectly-rendered lines.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nobody has actually ever come out and said "your emblem is a little wonky, isn't it?" to me but if they do I'm going to say, "transporter glitch. I don't really like to talk about it."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

shadok posted:

Nobody has actually ever come out and said "your emblem is a little wonky, isn't it?" to me but if they do I'm going to say, "transporter glitch. I don't really like to talk about it."

You're just waiting for that poo poo to happen

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

shadok posted:

Tangentially related: this is the baseball cap I had custom made when I couldn't find a Star Trek cap I liked anywhere.

It's a little :downs: because I guess the embroidery machine at the hat place isn't that great or maybe the guy operating it jiggled it mid-stitch or something but I like it and people recognize it.

I'd love a good Niners hat, but the only ones I've seen are really poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd love a good Niners hat, but the only ones I've seen are really poo poo.

This. Me and my friends have been looking for one of the same quality as in the episode and it's impossible, just garbage quality ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Baronjutter posted:

This. Me and my friends have been looking for one of the same quality as in the episode and it's impossible, just garbage quality ones.

I'd happily pay $100 if I could just send a blank fitted cap somewhere and have them do the custom stitching but I can't find anyone who does that.