Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Vox Nihili posted:

CC is intentionally conflating the fact that Sanders introduced a piece of legislation with the launch of a big new messaging campaign by the Dems. The contrast, of course, is that Sanders' messaging isn't limited or even focused on this single piece of legislation. It's apples to oranges.

Wait wait wait.

Wait.

You're telling me that Concerned Citizen is conflating similar looking but actually distinct things in the service of mealy-mouthed centrist lanyardry?

You're blowing my mind, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

My favorite part of the Pelosi platform is "tax credits for businesses, NOT special interests." Lmao.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Raise taxes on the rich and the corporations

The Democratic party isn't going to grow the government, or move left or right on the political spectrum, friend.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

CC is intentionally conflating the fact that Sanders introduced a piece of legislation with the launch of a big new messaging campaign by the Dems. The contrast, of course, is that Sanders' messaging isn't limited or even focused on this single piece of legislation. It's apples to oranges.

if you want to argue that it is not sufficiently broad or exciting as the first item to be rolled out for the jobs portion of the proposal, i would agree. if you want to argue that it's a pile of centrist lanyard garbage, well, i guess blame bernie for it since he wrote it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The fact that it's the first phase of the policy rollout indicates a certain element of primacy.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rastor posted:

CC was just joking right? He does not think this proposal is good for real?

Please God someone tell me this is not real

he does, and they're craptacular!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

My favorite part of the Pelosi platform is "tax credits for businesses, NOT special interests." Lmao.

A platform of helping out actual mom & pop businesses wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, as much as it would piss off a lot of leftists (with some legitimate reason).

But lol if anyone believes it won't be tax breaks for "small" businesses with millions of venture capital.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are SOOO many simple policy points that Dems could be hogging right now:

- Amazon wants to gobble everything up? Tax the ever-living gently caress out of them
- Pharma wants to raise prices? Price controls, freeze prices, nationalize the poo poo
- WALMART IS COMMITTING WAGE THEFT, EAT THE loving WALTONS YOU MORONS

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Hillary Clinton owned slaves.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The fact that it's the first phase of the policy rollout indicates a certain element of primacy.

ehh yes and no

you don't want to lead with your best stuff and then have everyone trail off and lose interest as you server up smaller burgs

you want to lead with an appetizer before serving up the main course

we'll see in a week or so I guess

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

Raise taxes on the rich and the corporations

hmm

but have you considered tax credits for "small" business owners?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SKULL.GIF posted:

ehh yes and no

you don't want to lead with your best stuff and then have everyone trail off and lose interest as you server up smaller burgs

yeah but you don't lead with your worst either or no-one sticks around

that this is the best they can pull people in with does not bode well at all

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fact we are in day what 5? of the roll out of this lovely slogan/platform and even the bootlickers I know aren't defending it shows that it's probably dead in the water

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

ehh yes and no

You want to both lead and end with your best stuff, because the first and last parts are the ones people are most likely to remember.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What would you all propose the Democrats should do right now with the resources they have?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

that they think our already undertaxed businesses need more tax cuts should scare you senseless

not even democrats, the supposedly responsible party, is in favor for responsible taxation

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

i guess blame bernie for it since he wrote it.

You've been posting this same sentiment for months now dude.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol tho that nancy is from one of the most liberal states in the union and shes to the right of loving chuck schumer

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Venom Snake posted:

The fact we are in day what 5? of the roll out of this lovely slogan/platform and even the bootlickers I know aren't defending it shows that it's probably dead in the water

I don't think it's as lovely as some people in here do but it is still remarkably limp

why are the democrats afraid of being bold?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

What would you all propose the Democrats should do right now with the resources they have?

As a party out of power they don't really have any resources, which means they could practically promise anything - yet they're still underbidding.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yell "MEDICARE FOR ALL!" on MSNBC and WaPo. Roll out some ads where they yell "MEDICARE FOR ALL!" at a sad-looking Mitch McConnell.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Aggressively campaign for free college, single payer, and universal minimum (or basic) income. If asked how to fund it answer "tax the rich of course"

I may sound like a broken record posting this buuuuut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjSTQwamo8M

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The bottom line here is this:

Can anybody say they think this is going to change the perception that Democrats don't stand for anything and are only anti-Trump?

This can't possibly do that. There is no game changing headline here. Changing that perception was the point.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
"Every Man a King" is a highly problematic phrase because it acknowledges and thus endorses the notion of power dynamics ("king" vs "ruled"), a topic that is inherently gendered and thus sexual

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

lol tho that nancy is from one of the most liberal states in the union and shes to the right of loving chuck schumer

like you know that she really believes in this cause she could announce support for mandatory gay marriage and be fine.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Concerned Citizen posted:

it's the exact same proposal, not "kinda similar." the party literally took a bill bernie was writing and made it one of the centerpieces of their better deal

what, did they get their hands on a time machine or something? it's literally an Obama program, one which ran from at least 2009-2012, if not longer

spoiler alert: it was an enormous failure, just like decades worth of previous government summer-jobs programs

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think it's as lovely as some people in here do but it is still remarkably limp

Not to sound like the gorilla cum man but the democrats have a big "mindset" problem where they cannot conceive of a world where sweeping change and progress is possible. Big ideas like restructuring the healthcare industry or new social welfare programs are scary to them because they have been mentally conditioned to think such things aren't possible

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
How can someone who voted for Iraq, voted for the push towards Iran in 08, went all in on Libya, cheered for Israel in Lebanon, cheered the Saudis in Yemen come off as more hawkish than expected? Does she talk about nuking the middle east and the Balkans in private or something?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

tax credits to businesses has to be one of the most idiotic policies ever

it doesn't sell itself cause how do you even know you were on the "less taxes if you train a guy" program? plus people have to wait for a hypothetical employer near them to learn about it and actually implement this program to get help. are dems going to be going to the mom and pop stores and teaching them how to claim their training tax credits? gently caress no! will the "small businesses" that are puppets of megacorps know about and exploit this? hell yes. everybody loses

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Governor Jerry Brown is against single payer. California politics aren't nearly as left wing as you'd like to think they are.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Venom Snake posted:

Like actually dead in back to the drawing board or just useless garbage like we're saying

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Agnosticnixie posted:

How can someone who voted for Iraq, voted for the push towards Iran in 08, went all in on Libya, cheered for Israel in Lebanon, cheered the Saudis in Yemen come off as more hawkish than expected? Does she talk about nuking the middle east and the Balkans in private or something?

she literally has a snifter of qadaffi's blood (which she has used stem cell technology to regenerate infinitely in the lab) every night

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The biggest reason why 18-30 year olds aren't locked into that mentality is because we have no hope otherwise and politics have never not been a total shitshow within our recent memories.

Gotta understand that a lot of olds still look back at when the parties where much closer together and less toxic nostalgically. The new screaming unfiltered rage and hatred scares the poo poo out of them

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Training isn't the problem. Wages are. There are plenty of low wage jobs out there that do not require much training, they are just hard as hell and don't pay what they should or they are demeaning and don't pay what they should.

What industry is facing a labor shortage right now because working class people aren't trained to participate in it?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

they be been getting blowback from their wall street donors who are shook by the eat the rich mentality that's spreading around

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dems could come out with something as simple as "Wage Theft is hosed up, corporations need to pay up!" and be instantly popular.

It would hit all the right notes and be something real, approachable, solvable, that people could easily get behind.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Agnosticnixie posted:

remember her "muscular" foreign policy PR push

or this classic - How Hillary Clinton Became a Hawk: Throughout her career she has displayed instincts on foreign policy that are more aggressive than those of President Obama — and most Democrats.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Venom Snake posted:

The biggest reason why 18-30 year olds aren't locked into that mentality is because we have no hope otherwise and politics have never not been a total shitshow within our recent memories.

Gotta understand that a lot of olds still look back at when the parties where much closer together and less toxic nostalgically. The new screaming unfiltered rage and hatred scares the poo poo out of them

cause they know its directed at them. rightfully. they steered this country into the ground for their own greed. they've killed the planet for future generations because they wanted to live in opulence. they should be being guillotined. and they will make it happen cause they literally cannot help but yell "let them eat cake" at the starving masses they're creating

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Venom Snake posted:

anime was right posted:

the left: make life better for everyone, generally.
the right: more tax breaks, who cares about minorities, love me some jesus
the center: well, i agree with the left, but let's keep doing what the right says because he said tax breaks.

*twenty years later, ext. dystopian hellscape*

the left: we live in a pothole and everyone i loved is now dead. gently caress you all, i'm taking this poo poo back.
the right: *screaming incoherently about muslims taking our jobs and firing a shotgun wildly into the air, does a sick wheelie on a 4x4*
the center: woah there now. can't we all just agree to disagree and then all agree with the right so some guys can continue getting tax breaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

So this thing that you are telling me is... drown the old?

• Locked thread