Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't have 9 minutes to waste, just tell us what you think is triggering people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"I feel like I'm going to get destroyed for what I just did."

"Sexuality is all about others' perceptions of you... right?"

Man. I can only imagine how mad people must be.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just checking the comments... What the gently caress is "Supercorp"?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

8one6 posted:

Shipping name for Kara and Lena, I assume. Supergirl and Luther Corp.

I wouldn't have gotten that if they hadn't mentioned it in that video where they very nicely shat all over it.

Rhyno posted:

I don't have 9 minutes to waste, just tell us what you think is triggering people.

Basically they do a goofy musical recap of S2 where Winn's actor makes a point of saying Lena and Kara are just friends. Then the host asks them about the shipping and the two actresses make it very clear there was no intentional subtext and it was all the fans. Lena's actress tried to make nice about it and say that "art is open to interpretation" and then Mon El's actor made a joke about how "sexual identity is all about others' perception, right?"

I found it all very charming but I can imagine the mads.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 24, 2017

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, they are really mad at Melissa Benoist and Jeremy Jordan.

Chris Wood too, but that's not a new thing.

I'd have more material to laugh at but unfortunately most of it is just gifs of quotes out of context, and since they're the only ones who care it's hard to find the source videos out of the like 30-40 videos they did that day.

8one6 posted:

The Kara/Lena ship name.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 24, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

Then the host asks them about the shipping and the two actresses make it very clear there was no intentional subtext and it was all the fans. Lena's actress tried to make nice about it and say that "art is open to interpretation"

They say that but...

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Director: "Now look at her like you look at an ice cream cone."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They look at each other like I look at steaks.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A certain episode of Seinfeld seems relevant here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe the actresses are just really into each other and it has nothing to do with the characters.

Ever consider that, Tumblr?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe the actresses are just really into each other and it has nothing to do with the characters.

Yeah right, tumblr is all about Winchester incest so your words mean nothing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

^^^ :laffo: exactly

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I love joking about it as much as the next goon but it's clearly two charming actors playing well off each other. Leave it to tumblr to have no idea where to draw the line between good screen chemistry and smoldering passion.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah right, tumblr is all about Winchester incest so your words mean nothing.

My hope is this really ramps up and the show just starts writing episodes and characters devoted to mocking the poo poo out of them like Supernatural does.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly it's quite a lovely situation all around, because even if tumblr had a legit point at the beginning (I could see where they were coming from, honestly, even if I disagree with them), their overreacting has basically just turned them into a thing of mockery outside their little echo chambers.

The actors are all mad at all the hate that they (Benoist especially) are getting, and Jeremy Jordan had to apologize multiple times because they didn't accept his first apology.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Chris Wood got a few death threats when he and Benoist hooked up in real life.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah I especially don't envy Chris Wood because he's had the brunt of their anger all last season.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Senerio posted:

Yeah I especially don't envy Chris Wood because he's had the brunt of their anger all last season.

What now? Why? He wasn't given much to work with but he was easy on the eyes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Senerio posted:

Honestly it's quite a lovely situation all around, because even if tumblr had a legit point at the beginning (I could see where they were coming from, honestly, even if I disagree with them), their overreacting has basically just turned them into a thing of mockery outside their little echo chambers.

The actors are all mad at all the hate that they (Benoist especially) are getting, and Jeremy Jordan had to apologize multiple times because they didn't accept his first apology.

His apology was that typical sort of "I'm sorry if you were offended" bullhockey and Benoist's publicist threatened to sue someone.

I'm not sure where the fans are coming off worse here. Also, source on the Chris Wood death threats thing?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

It's shippers. It's always shippers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know what he has to apologize for. If there's no actual subtext or story there then there isn't. That's not a matter of debate. The author is not dead. The people making the show know whether or not they intended to imply that Lena and Kara are into each other. If they say "no" then the answer is "no."

Like, when shipping actually makes sense with the characters I may think its a little obsessive but at least it makes sense but the whole "take straight characters and ship them as gay" thing is just kind of odd (or really, any time it doesn't make sense for whatever character reason). And people getting offended when the people involved in the show say its not a thing just seems kind of crazy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aleph Null posted:

There's sentiment that Mon-El kind of took over the show last season, which is not entirely without merit.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

howe_sam posted:

There's sentiment that Mon-El kind of took over the show last season, which is not entirely without merit.

Really? He seemed like window dressing to me. Always there, but not doing much. Eye candy. He was fawning all over Kara in some kind of writer's wish fulfillment fantasy of a hot, sensitive guy, who is totally in to you and wants to do what you want to do and cooks and cleans and always defers to your judgment, but has just enough fire to have the occasional spat that requires make up sex.

Like, he was a human puppy dog. How can you hate a puppy?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know what he has to apologize for. If there's no actual subtext or story there then there isn't. That's not a matter of debate. The author is not dead. The people making the show know whether or not they intended to imply that Lena and Kara are into each other. If they say "no" then the answer is "no."

Like, when shipping actually makes sense with the characters I may think its a little obsessive but at least it makes sense but the whole "take straight characters and ship them as gay" thing is just kind of odd (or really, any time it doesn't make sense for whatever character reason). And people getting offended when the people involved in the show say its not a thing just seems kind of crazy.

The difference is in how they talked about it. Jordan was openly mocking towards the very idea of it, while in contrast Katy McGrath was pretty level headed and said that people are perfectly justified in looking at it however they want.

Every attempt to get in front of it on the rest of the cast's part has been embarrassing and kind of gross and made this bigger than it needs to be. I mean, Benoist's publicist said "she couldn't be homophobic because she was on Glee". That's embarrassingly patronizing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

God the internet is garbage.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Is there a place to read the publicist's response? I couldn't find it, but everywhere I was looking was talking about it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm going to be honest. The whole song and dance thing was based on the very idea that pairing them up was creepy and weird. This wasn't some Supernatural-esque thing where people became unhealthily fixated on the actors and stalked and harassed their real life significant others and poo poo. It was all hinged on mocking a subset of their audience, who aren't really hurting anyone by existing and writing their little stories, and then when it was pointed out the man made it worse, and a major member of the cast's publicist threatened to sue someone over internet comments.

Like, where in this specific scenario does the fandom come off look like the bullies here?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The difference is in how they talked about it. Jordan was openly mocking towards the very idea of it, while in contrast Katy McGrath was pretty level headed and said that people are perfectly justified in looking at it however they want.

Every attempt to get in front of it on the rest of the cast's part has been embarrassing and kind of gross and made this bigger than it needs to be. I mean, Benoist's publicist said "she couldn't be homophobic because she was on Glee". That's embarrassingly patronizing.

I'm sorry, I just don't get it. I'm a straight guy so maybe I'm missing something. I just didn't see anything mean or disrespectful in there. I mean, Jordan made a little light of the fan theory. But that's not like mocking LGBT people or anything. Its mocking an (apparently) incorrect fan theory that got (arguably) carried away.

"She can't be homophobic because she was on Glee" is certainly a dumb thing to say, especially from a publicist. But like, did I miss the homophobic thing that either of the actors said? They weren't making a joke at the expense of Alex's coming out or anything. The show seems like it has a pretty good track record with LGBT stuff given that whole character and storyline. But like... do you have to respect every fan with a baseless theory that the people involved in making the piece say definitely wasn't intended?

McGrath was trying to be nicer about it but like, she's wrong and didn't Mon El's character pretty well sum up why with his "And sexual identity is all about the perception of others, right?" joke? That might have been a little mocking but it was mocking of the "you can interpret art how you like" idea than the idea of LGBT people or anything. Its not an interpretive piece. Either Kara and Lena were flirting or they weren't.

I just really don't get it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

:same:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I'm sorry, I just don't get it. I'm a straight guy so maybe I'm missing something. I just didn't see anything mean or disrespectful in there. I mean, Jordan made a little light of the fan theory. But that's not like mocking LGBT people or anything. Its mocking an (apparently) incorrect fan theory that got (arguably) carried away.

"She can't be homophobic because she was on Glee" is certainly a dumb thing to say, especially from a publicist. But like, did I miss the homophobic thing that either of the actors said? They weren't making a joke at the expense of Alex's coming out or anything. The show seems like it has a pretty good track record with LGBT stuff given that whole character and storyline. But like... do you have to respect every fan with a baseless theory that the people involved in making the piece say definitely wasn't intended?

McGrath was trying to be nicer about it but like, she's wrong and didn't Mon El's character pretty well sum up why with his "And sexual identity is all about the perception of others, right?" joke? That might have been a little mocking but it was mocking of the "you can interpret art how you like" idea than the idea of LGBT people or anything. Its not an interpretive piece. Either Kara and Lena were flirting or they weren't.

You're acting like everyone with a ship, who likes a ship, or who writes a ship is someone pulling for a series to do that and is going to get militant when it doesn't go that way. Maybe it could have reached that point eventually, but as it stands, it was just people who were either enjoying Kara and Lena's chemistry and/or those who were frustrated with Kara/Mon-El and were looking at an alternative. What exactly there is worth disrespect and mockery? Hell, I've seen people comment on how Kara and Lena get on really well in this very thread. Maybe there's a few people who take it too far, but honestly? That's every god drat fandom that has a decent sized group of people in it. Writing a song and performing it in front of an audience of a ton of people, and then having your co-star commend you for how "brave" you are, is hitting low hanging fruit, especially when you've tried to pass yourself off as an ally to a specific group of people beforehand.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly, it just felt kinda mean to the fans who choose to believe that Kara and Lena would be really good together.

Like, Supernatural was brought up before, but Supernatural is a much different case because while they do mock the poo poo out of the shippers, they do so in a nice way. The best analogy I can think of is that Supernatural treated its fans like Galaxy Quest treated Trekkies.

This video had Jeremy Jordan scream right into the screen "YOUR SHIP ISN'T HAPPENING EVER," and if I was a shipper, I'd find that off-putting and stop watching Supergirl too.

That said, I found the publicist's email and I think it's super sketchy. They cut off any information to make it look like anything but a word document.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Senerio posted:

Honestly, it just felt kinda mean to the fans who choose to believe that Kara and Lena would be really good together.

Like, Supernatural was brought up before, but Supernatural is a much different case because while they do mock the poo poo out of the shippers, they do so in a nice way. The best analogy I can think of is that Supernatural treated its fans like Galaxy Quest treated Trekkies.

This video had Jeremy Jordan scream right into the screen "YOUR SHIP ISN'T HAPPENING EVER," and if I was a shipper, I'd find that off-putting and stop watching Supergirl too.

That said, I found the publicist's email and I think it's super sketchy. They cut off any information to make it look like anything but a word document.

But, it is never happening because neither of the characters are written as gay or bi. It is never happening. it is never happening. Unless they find pink kryptonite.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Aleph Null posted:

But, it is never happening because neither of the characters are written as gay or bi. It is never happening. it is never happening. Unless they find pink kryptonite.

There is absolutely a difference between a thing not happening and an actor from the show yelling about how a thing isn't happening in a promotional video.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when season one was on, the most popular "ship" was Kara and Cat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've never shipped so I guess I just don't understand the hurt that comes from being told your ship won't happen.

But like, it seems to be turning into a "that was mean" and "that was homophobic" and I just don't see that at all. Like, its not even the deal where people get upset because a show killed off its one LGBT couple or something. Supergirl has a LGBT couple and seemed to handle a character coming out, realizing it herself, struggling with it, and getting love and acceptance from everyone in her life really well. But like, they're homophobic because they dismissed a fan gay shipping about two straight characters?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All fandoms are terrible. This is not a new development.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol shippers are crazy

Mon-El continues to own

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not into shipping - I suppose I understand intellectually why some people are but I've never quite grasped why people get so hung up on it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've occasionally gotten invested in a slow burn romance in a TV show. And maybe once or twice seen two characters and said "they'd make a nice couple."

But like... I've never made gifs and music videos in tribute to it so I'm pretty sure I've never "shipped" and can't sympathize with the pain of being told in silly song form that it isn't happening.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

People enjoy a thing in a certain way, get really invested in that way of enjoying the thing, then someone involved in making the thing makes light of their enjoyment and they thing they're being mocked and take it very personally.

I mean, I think the reaction is completely dumb and overblown, but that's what's going on if you're trying to understand it. Some of these people are teenagers which helps to explain it, but a lot of them are adults, which just makes it more bewildering lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I know people here have determined that they like Mon-El because he makes jokes and stuff, but I think they underestimate the extent to which a character like that is a massive, fundamental turn-off to a sizable demographic that watches this show.

STAC Goat posted:

This is a super weird thing to say. So showrunners are always right about everything 'cuz it's their show and audiences should just smile and nod politely to everything they say about it? If they say that Red Tornado has an awesome costume that looks great, should everyone just agree 'cuz they intended for it to look great? Different people come away with different impressions from story depictions and fandom isn't always seeing things eye-to-eye with showrunners. This isn't brand new information. Like, hells of tons of people shipped Clark with Lex back during Smallville as well.

And the idea of comparing Kara/Lena to some lovely Supernatural poo poo and making fun of all its fans for how deranged they are feels really condescending to me. Kara and Lena ain't incest. It ain't pedophilia. It ain't abusive. It's just two friends who totally get along and like each other a lot. Lol better watch out for those crazies who get invested in that!