Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FitFortDanga posted:

His "I refuse to accept that Trading Places doesn't hold up" shtick is really loving stupid. I haven't been this annoyed with Matt since season 1.

I agree! "The sandlot sucks but Trading Places is awesome." So completely oblivious. What the gently caress man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I can't quite put my finger on what specifically bothered me about it, but his opinion of Baby Driver annoyed me almost as much.

I loved it, and I still have fewer good things to say about it than Matt Bellknap, who apparently hated it.

edit: "Everything about it was technically amazing but I think I've grown out of amazing."

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 22, 2017

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TBH I think they all have terrible taste in movies

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I get what he was saying; that the spectacle of the editing and music and whatnot didn't compensate for the fact that the story was lackluster

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Does anyone know what off-show drama they are talking about on the new episode with Pat Francis?

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

Boredumb posted:

Does anyone know what off-show drama they are talking about on the new episode with Pat Francis?

Some info here (warning: reddit link)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

That's painful to read. I think Pat's shtick has gotten pretty tiresome (his pretending to be racist often sounds a lot like he's just super loving racist) but what a sad portrait of a friendship ending. Jimmy has always called Pat his best friend. I'd like to hear his side of it more, but I'm sure each side would be skewed.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

More here

(Facebook group, look for the post starting with "Can someone explain what's happened between Jimmy and Pat?")

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Scylla posted:

More here

(Facebook group, look for the post starting with "Can someone explain what's happened between Jimmy and Pat?")

Thanks for posting the links.

That's too bad about it all, as I like Pat (and Rock Solid). I must be in the rare group that likes Pat when he was on NNF.

The friendship ending over this seems really weird for grown men to act like this (lots of fragile egos). Who knows what the truth is of how it went down, but it's not like there isn't a pattern of this happening before on the show. They handled kicking Mike off the show poorly way back when.

FitFortDanga posted:

I'd like to hear his side of it more, but I'm sure each side would be skewed.
I agree with this.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
I haven't listened to the podcast in a long time but even in the early days the combination of jimmy's legendarily bad temper and pat's inability to take a hint made for some tense moments. I'm surprised it took this long, I'm guessing Jimmy has just gotten too old to want to put up with it anymore.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Boredumb posted:

That's too bad about it all, as I like Pat (and Rock Solid). I must be in the rare group that likes Pat when he was on NNF.

He was kinda tiresome at times but he used to be part of every live show, and I always thought he elevated them. Not even necessarily his bits or his jokes, but often the response to them. I don't think the live shows have been anywhere near as good with just Jimmy and Matt, and the Flappers residency shows were often outright bad.

This is just kinda perplexing, and that reddit post makes it sound really lovely. Dumping Mike Schmidt, I understood - as funny as he is, I can picture a friendship with him being difficult. But Pat Francis, much less so.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I wonder if he brought a throwing microphone to Panera

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Gannon has been constantly soliciting dates/potential orgies via Twitter for the last week or so and while it's extraordinarily desperate it has the potential for some excellent Jimmy material

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I wonder if he brought a throwing microphone to Panera

Ha, Idiot!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

have you guys ever heard of hamilton

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Riptor posted:

have you guys ever heard of hamilton

I didn't re-up this season and this isn't making me want to.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I dropped out of this show hard due to Sevens and Hamilton, basically. It's a bummer.

FUN FACT: I'm actually related to Alexander Hamilton on my mother's side (In fact, Hamilton's my middle name because of it) and, oh boy, if you you think you guys are sick of Hamilton dot dot dot.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

It's still good honestly but Hamilton is in LA now so yikes

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Episode 2104
Watching the throne with Rory O’Malley.

quote:

O'Malley is currently performing the role of King George III in the first U.S. national tour of Hamilton, following his nine-month tenure in the role in the show's Broadway company at the Richard Rodgers Theatre.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Oh dear god...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Nooo

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's as bad as you think it would be. Never Not Hamilton. My least favorite episode in a long time.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Paul Rust on today! First half includes what Warner Bros and Disney characters would play what parts in Hamilton. The second half is incredulous reactions that Paul Rust only found Hamilton good and didn't love it. It's almost three years of Hamilton talk now right?

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

I think this is the episode that broke me. They started out by not knowing if Armenia is a country (Conan visited for a week while Jimmy was still involved with the show). Then Matt said "some" people don't like all the Hamilton talk. It never stopped.

It's too bad, I used to really like this show, but now I just listen hoping for something entertaining.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Hamilton is safe rap for white people. It's so bad.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I was a guest on their new game show podcast pilot yesterday and it was very fun and very like, pure Jimmy. Got to play a game against rich sommer

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

First half includes what Warner Bros and Disney characters would play what parts in Hamilton.

Listening to this now. This is a new low for NNF. I'm not gonna bail on the show because I pay for Player's Club, but boy it sure is getting harder to listen to.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Their Disney characters in Hamilton was the most embarrassing thing I've heard in my life. And I've heard these old white dorks talk about Hamilton for 17 years now.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I've been a paid subscriber since like season 4 and this is the first time I have had unlistened episodes around for more than a few days at a time. Especially that episode with a Hamilton cast member I don't think I'll ever be listening to. And I even listened all the way through that episode from a few years ago with those two shitheads that produced Conan web content and loved talking about the friend zone.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I haven't even started the new season plus I have like 4 eps from last season still. I feel like I could deal with either the Hamilton poo poo or the amateur hour politics but having both all the time is a slog.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I was dreading the Hamiton cast member episode but I thought it was actually pretty okay. He's an interesting guy and they talk about his other work (Book of Mormon, most notably) and when they did talk about Hamilton it was in a fairly interesting context, like how he was in the cast when Pence was in the audience

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
yeah, I've bought every season of NNF except the last 2 and I don't even think I would consider it a podcast I actually like any more

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I can't think of one film, book, musical, or album that I've liked enough to discuss it with other people regularly for years at a time

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Episode 2107:

* Eliot talking way more than anyone wants
* Matt's weird stubbornness once again regarding this board game
* omg this Wheeler character is a loving comedy nightmare

Only halfway through this ep and thinking about bailing out. Between too much Eliot, arrogant Matt, incessant Hamilton chat, and a couple of really blah guests, this show has been in a real downward spiral lately :( For the first time I'm considering not re-upping my Player's Club membership next season.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Matt and Jimmy tell him to listen to Kesha, the new Hamilton. Then they play Sevens and it sucks like always.

I'm not resubscribing either.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Was the episode with Demi good? I have been a fan of him on Twitter for years and I was considering buying it one-off even though I retired from listening to the show at the end of season 17.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah that one was fine. He was a good guest.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

First half includes what Warner Bros and Disney characters would play what parts in Hamilton.
Ugh. They are such loving dads.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
What's this secret podcast they're talking about doing? I'm assuming it's a combination of call-in and sevens, which sounds horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Riptor said he was a guest on a Jimmy Pardo game show podcast pilot earlier in the thread. Which interests me, because I've long been missing the UCB game show bonus eps they used to put up.