Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Facebook Aunt posted:

That looks completely unnecessary. :psyduck: It's a very gentle slope that certainly looks like it could accommodate a conventional ramp next to a conventional staircase.

That still doesn't help the ones with walkers or pushing baby strollers. And won't someone think of the children on hoverboards!

the answer is simple tank treads on everything.

:killdozer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Facebook Aunt posted:

That looks completely unnecessary. :psyduck: It's a very gentle slope that certainly looks like it could accommodate a conventional ramp next to a conventional staircase.

You're forgetting that the entire point of actually building that stairway was to stroke an architect's ego.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Looks like it's also designed to slow down bike traffic coming over the hill and to force vehicles to turn.

Facebook Aunt posted:

That still doesn't help the ones with walkers or pushing baby strollers. And won't someone think of the children on hoverboards!

Don't these bojos know that hoverboards don't work on stairs?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GotLag posted:

Won't that end up rounding off the edges of the steps?

"Stairway closed for resharpening"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i can't find a drat picture of it now (or even know if it still exists) but I'm pretty sure it was the Cambie facing side of City Square mall in Vancouver. also known as the mall where the liver eating dude's lair was in that x-files episode.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

i can't find a drat picture of it now (or even know if it still exists) but I'm pretty sure it was the Cambie facing side of City Square mall in Vancouver. also known as the mall where the liver eating dude's lair was in that x-files episode.

I read this as the "liver eating duck's lair" and got confused for a second

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HardDiskD posted:

I read this as the "liver eating duck's lair" and got confused for a second

meta-pate

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A ramp has to be shallow enough for someone in a self-powered wheelchair to push their way up to the top. You also can't have single, long runs that rise an appreciable distance - people need flat places to stop and regain their wind. So, the maximum slope for new ADA ramps is 1:12, and the maximum rise is 30 inches.

The minimum size of landings between runs that change directions is 5' x 5', So, that zigzag stairs ramp is trying to meet some or all of the above. Where it totally fails, though, is the lack of rails:

quote:

4.8.5 Handrails
If a ramp run has a rise greater than 6 inches or a horizontal projection greater than 72 inches, then it shall have hand rails on both sides.

https://www.access-board.gov/guidel...-and-curb-ramps

So the problem with this:

Facebook Aunt posted:

is that the run is far too long to have a single continuous ramp, regardless of slope: but it's also probably more than a 1:12 slope, too.

And as for these:

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I was trying to find better angles and found an interesting article - The Problems with Ramps Blended into Stairs.

Robson Square at least has some edges around the ramp. Those edges might flip a wheelchair sideways onto the ramp instead of down the stairs but it was the 80's, at least they tried.

This is a loving deathtrap.

They're both deathtraps, really. Ramps aren't just for wheelchair users, they also accommodate people who can't easily negotiate stairs, such as those with walkers or canes, and the visually impaired. A lack of handrails coupled with tripping hazards makes them worthless for anyone not in a wheelchair, in addition to being very dangerous for wheelchair users.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Leperflesh posted:

They're both deathtraps, really. Ramps aren't just for wheelchair users, they also accommodate people who can't easily negotiate stairs, such as those with walkers or canes, and the visually impaired. A lack of handrails coupled with tripping hazards makes them worthless for anyone not in a wheelchair, in addition to being very dangerous for wheelchair users.

someone i know lacks visual depth perception so their only clues about stairs are shadows and texture change, and the rise fuckin better be consistent.

they want everyone involved in all of these to be suplexed onto a pile of legos forever i imagine

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My mom has almost no depth perception (she's lived her whole life without being allowed to drive) and now she's got Parkinsons, too. She walks with a cane, but negotiating even just a curb step is risky: stairs with a rail are sometimes OK, but a decent ramp with rails is much safer for her.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
These hybridised rampstairs are cool & good for selfish people.

They look accessible enough to someone who’s never been in a wheelchair (also look :krad:), but they don’t inconvenience able‐bodied persons like a proper ramp would.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Motronic posted:

Comment that came with the pic: "That's hosed up. Everyone knows that you are supposed to use 1/2" copper for a 30 amp disconnect"

Jesus loving Christ what is wrong with people?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SoundMonkey posted:

someone i know lacks visual depth perception so their only clues about stairs are shadows and texture change, and the rise fuckin better be consistent.

they want everyone involved in all of these to be suplexed onto a pile of legos forever i imagine

Suplexes usually involve the deliverer going in just as much as the recipient. Choke slam or power bomb would work better.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Suplexes usually involve the deliverer going in just as much as the recipient. Choke slam or power bomb would work better.

there is a limited amount of thought i am going to put into which wrestling move to use to smash someone into legos

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SoundMonkey posted:

a limited amount of thought

but enough about my posting

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

Jesus loving Christ what is wrong with people?

Yeah there are better ways to charge batteries.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mystery Steve posted:

None faster though :colbert:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mystery Steve posted:

which reminds me of Bad Idea Charger that i have at work

so we go through a lot of rechargeable batteries at work for wireless mics, i generally use NiMH ones and replace them yearly, it works well. anyways our "family charger" blew up (almost literally, a transistor burnt through the PCB) so i picked up a new one. first thing i notice is that the AC adapter for it is massive. second thing i notice is that the AC adapter is rated for an absurd amount of current for charging four AA batteries. so i plop them in, turn it on... it turns out the entire bottom of the thing is a fan that the batteries sit in front of having air pulled past them nonstop. their solution to charging them unwisely fast was... active battery cooling.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Having builders in the house for several months you begin to get used to Makita tooling (the finest marketing strat Makita ever pulled was making a bassy radio that takes the same batteries as all their tools, every builder has one).

Their bulk charging blocks do the exact same thing with active cooling, but for 4x24V power tool batteries at once.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

which reminds me of Bad Idea Charger that i have at work

so we go through a lot of rechargeable batteries at work for wireless mics, i generally use NiMH ones and replace them yearly, it works well. anyways our "family charger" blew up (almost literally, a transistor burnt through the PCB) so i picked up a new one. first thing i notice is that the AC adapter for it is massive. second thing i notice is that the AC adapter is rated for an absurd amount of current for charging four AA batteries. so i plop them in, turn it on... it turns out the entire bottom of the thing is a fan that the batteries sit in front of having air pulled past them nonstop. their solution to charging them unwisely fast was... active battery cooling.

This isn't unheard of with NiMH chargers. Unless you're trickle charging, the cells start heating up once they're at (or near) full charge. I think some chargers will specifically even detect the increase in the rate of battery self-heating and terminate charging at that point (for packs with integrated thermistors).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Having builders in the house for several months you begin to get used to Makita tooling (the finest marketing strat Makita ever pulled was making a bassy radio that takes the same batteries as all their tools, every builder has one).

Their bulk charging blocks do the exact same thing with active cooling, but for 4x24V power tool batteries at once.

The 20v DeWilts have active cooling for single batteries. It's definitely a thing.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Slanderer posted:

This isn't unheard of with NiMH chargers. Unless you're trickle charging, the cells start heating up once they're at (or near) full charge. I think some chargers will specifically even detect the increase in the rate of battery self-heating and terminate charging at that point (for packs with integrated thermistors).

yeah this one qualifies as 'fancy as poo poo.' or at least 'surprisingly fancy for walmart.' sounds like it has a mechanical relay per cell, decent bad-cell detection, etc

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Motronic posted:

The 20v DeWilts have active cooling for single batteries. It's definitely a thing.

yeah i'd seen it before just not in 'poo poo tier consumer grade 4-bay charger' context

edit: also why are the 20v so much more awesome, WHY DOES THE EXTRA TWO VOLTS GET YOU COOL poo poo. i mean i know the actual answer is 'because it's new and better battery poo poo' but still.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 23, 2017

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

yeah i'd seen it before just not in 'poo poo tier consumer grade 4-bay charger' context

edit: also why are the 20v so much more awesome, WHY DOES THE EXTRA TWO VOLTS GET YOU COOL poo poo. i mean i know the actual answer is 'because it's new and better battery poo poo' but still.

The 20v dewalts run at 18v. Hence "20v max"

We got the older 18v system because all the tools are way less for the same thing

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
edit: nvm

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SoundMonkey posted:

but enough about my posting

Is it mod sass when it's a mod sassing themselves? :psypop:

Motronic posted:

Comment that came with the pic: "That's hosed up. Everyone knows that you are supposed to use 1/2" copper for a 30 amp disconnect"

What voltage is the insulation on a Duracell AA rated for? :v:

Alternatively: "well they do advertise it as the copper top"

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

Yeah, my old 18vs are NiMh, so therefore basically poo poo compares to the "20v" LIon. I'm running adapters in my older "18v" tools.

I mean.....I COULD buy more NiMhes and they would be okay-ish again, but they take forever to charge and like to lose charge capacity pretty quickly.

Ninja edit: they are way lighter too. And smaller.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I've acquired a more-or-less complete set of the DeWalt 20v MAXXXXXX stuff over the last 3 years since I bought a house and needed better power tools than my 15 year old Ryobi stuff, and they're really nice. Especially the brushless hammer/standard drill and brushless impact driver. They last absolutely forever. Even the other tools last only slightly less than forever and hold their power the entire time.

I don't have anything to directly compare them to except that ancient Ryobi stuff, so maybe cheaper modern stuff is also good, but if you're needing to replace things anyways they seem really nice. Zero complaints other than not having a good way to store/transport them all, since the only ones that came with a bag was that drill/impact driver set.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

shortspecialbus posted:

I've acquired a more-or-less complete set of the DeWalt 20v MAXXXXXX stuff over the last 3 years since I bought a house and needed better power tools than my 15 year old Ryobi stuff, and they're really nice. Especially the brushless hammer/standard drill and brushless impact driver. They last absolutely forever. Even the other tools last only slightly less than forever and hold their power the entire time.

I don't have anything to directly compare them to except that ancient Ryobi stuff, so maybe cheaper modern stuff is also good, but if you're needing to replace things anyways they seem really nice. Zero complaints other than not having a good way to store/transport them all, since the only ones that came with a bag was that drill/impact driver set.

I have a shed full of the same DeWalt stuff, They are great so far and having them use the same batteries as the tools his handy as gently caress

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I just dump them in a drawer of a tool chest. The little bags that dewalt sometimes includes haven't really been useful for me but I don't travel with these tools

The only thing I've found lacking in terms of battery life for the 18v dewalt stuff is the reciprocating saw (DC385B), but that's not too surprising. That said I have three ~2yo non-extended 18v batteries and that's enough to remove a small tree

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Progressive JPEG posted:

I just dump them in a drawer of a tool chest. The little bags that dewalt sometimes includes haven't really been useful for me but I don't travel with these tools

The only thing I've found lacking in terms of battery life for the 18v dewalt stuff is the reciprocating saw (DC385B), but that's not too surprising. That said I have three ~2yo non-extended 18v batteries and that's enough to remove a small tree

I used one of the larger 20vMAXXX batteries on my sawzall and took down about 8 trees and bushes and stuff, those stupid weed-like trees that have huge thorns and grow from nothing to 20 feet tall in 2 years, and it still felt like there was plenty of charge left on that one battery when I was done. Lots of cuts through stuff up to 4" thick or so (admittedly not hardwoods), since I was doing it all myself and had to do it piecemeal, and a few of them were tangled up in a barbed wire fence. I don't actually know how much it had left at the end, but it wasn't slowed down at all and didn't take super long to charge. My Ryobi would have needed about 6 batteries to get through the same amount.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shortspecialbus posted:

Neat thing about the ancient Ryobi's is that, if you have the 18V One+ system, they made the new tools and batteries use the same power interface, meaning that the old tools take the new 18V One+ LIons. I acquired a blue Ryobi impact screwdriver, with a NiCad, replaced that with a new LIon and smart charger, then, when I decided I liked them, and was damend sick and tired of my B&D NiCads not holding a charge, and having zero shelf life, bought a whole set of the blue tools minus the drill cheap on eBay, then bought a green drill with LIon and charger as well. For how I use them, I'm happy with the Ryobis.
NiCads: never again. n ow to find some fool to buy my B&D Firestorm drill, circular saw, and recip saw. Or wait until I have a 3D printer and make adapters for the new 20V Max B&D or Dewalt batteries.

edit: like this, but not $35. Actually, that's not a bad price if you don't have a 3D printer.
edit the second: forgot the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-adapter-for-Black-Decker-18v-Nicd-tools-to-lithium-B-D-20v-/252514355874

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 24, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Neat thing about the ancient Ryobi's is that, if you have the 18V One+ system, they made the new tools and batteries use the same power interface, meaning that the old tools take the new 18V One+ LIons. I acquired a blue Ryobi impact screwdriver, with a NiCad, replaced that with a new LIon and smart charger, then, when I decided I liked them, and was damend sick and tired of my B&D NiCads not holding a charge, and having zero shelf life, bought a whole set of the blue tools minus the drill cheap on eBay, then bought a green drill with LIon and charger as well. For how I use them, I'm happy with the Ryobis.
NiCads: never again. n ow to find some fool to buy my B&D Firestorm drill, circular saw, and recip saw. Or wait until I have a 3D printer and make adapters for the new 20V Max B&D or Dewalt batteries.

edit: like this, but not $35. Actually, that's not a bad price if you don't have a 3D printer.

Craftsman did the same thing with switching from NiMH to LiIon for their 19.2V tools. It's too bad Sears is circling the drain. Yes, I know that Black & Decker bought the Craftsman name.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Jesus, I think this is about the only time I've ever seen a house sold as-is that I'd consider.

This isn't crappy. This isn't crappy at all.

https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2017/07/24/1936-modernistic-philadelphia-pa/

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Jesus, I think this is about the only time I've ever seen a house sold as-is that I'd consider.

What the hell is that description though

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Phanatic posted:

That's pretty cool. the only thing I really dislike is the institutional green bathroom color.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Phanatic posted:

The tear down next to mine is being advertised as "needs a little TLC". Still, that place is beautiful. What's the catch? Foundation is on an active fault line? Neighborhood is a war zone? They moved the headstones but didn't move the bodies?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kid sinister posted:

They moved the headstones but didn't move the bodies?

It's right next to a crematorium so I don't think that's it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Phanatic posted:

It's right next to a crematorium so I don't think that's it.

I don't know, there was that one crematorium that had their furnace break down and so they started just tossing the bodies in the woods behind them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Happened in china sometime this week,

Do buildings usually molt this time of year though?