Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i have to think the drinking angle is a really weak way of pivoting away from being about applying machine learning to not hire women (or other poor culture fits)

the machine learning future is really freaking dreary, it will get used a ton to just institutionalize a lot of really bad ideas and opinions, enshrining them in machines where it will be far harder to (physically) assault
it's already being used for sentencing recommendations and surprise! it suggests longer sentences for nonwhites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/08/does-google-unprofessional-hair-results-prove-algorithms-racist-

The training data is racist. And then so is the AI.

A bit like growing up as a kid in a society where Black Pete is considered cool and good.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah somebody already wrote a whole book on that stuff

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
institutional racism and biases are nothing new, but now we'll encode them in machines to amplify their effect

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

nice amazon referral link

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ooooooh, thanks, that goes on the reading list at once

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

lancemantis posted:

institutional racism and biases are nothing new, but now we'll encode them in machines to amplify their effect

And then shrug "I don't know, I just do what the algorithm says to do. Take it up with your lawyer, who is also an algorithm nobody understands."

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i'm wondering what would the security robot actually do? beep menacingly?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Boiled Water posted:

i'm wondering what would the security robot actually do? beep menacingly?

it zaps you in the nuts, citizen

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

so basically the max headroom trial but with hiring instead of rioting against a tv network

as a millenial the only videos of max headroom i've seen involve a flyswatter

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

lol the company used a menacing structure for their ads seen here:

oh no sharp edges this looks bad rear end

it's a beach park in denmark and looks like this:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

lol the company used a menacing structure for their ads seen here:

oh no sharp edges this looks bad rear end

it's a beach park in denmark and looks like this:

something is rotten in the state of brutalism

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
this is the same line of robots that was aggressively crushing toddlers at stanford shopping center last year

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/07/11/report-security-robot-at-stanford-shopping-center-runs-over-toddler/

quote:

Report: Security robot at Stanford Shopping Center runs over toddler

PALO ALTO — A toddler was injured last week when a roving security robot at Stanford Shopping Center reportedly knocked him over and ran over his foot, ABC7 News reported.

The robot, which stands 5 feet tall and weighs 300 pounds, was introduced last year and is designed to alert authorities of abnormal noises, sudden environmental changes and known criminals.

The incident involving 16-month-old Harwin Cheng happened Thursday, according to ABC7 News.

“The robot hit my son’s head and he fell down facing down on the floor and the robot did not stop and it kept moving forward,” Harwin’s mother, Tiffany Teng, told the station.

The robot then ran over the toddler’s right foot, causing it to swell, but no bones were broken, ABC7 News reported. The toddler also suffered a scrape on his leg from the incident.

Knightscope, the Mountain View-based maker of the robot, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

this is the same line of robots that was aggressively crushing toddlers at stanford shopping center last year

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/07/11/report-security-robot-at-stanford-shopping-center-runs-over-toddler/

:five:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

today is the 30th anniversary of both my favorite cyberpunk movie and favorite movie full-stop, robocop, so while its not ed-209 level fuckups, these useless security droids feel very appropriate

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Crusader posted:

today is the 30th anniversary of both my favorite cyberpunk movie and favorite movie full-stop, robocop, so while its not ed-209 level fuckups, these useless security droids feel very appropriate
robots that commit suicide are p on brand for robocop

the spinning police lights that turn on at the end of that last clip crack me up every time

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like that the second scientist that gets shot is apparently eagerly taking notes about the first scientist getting shot

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i think it's a remote

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
just watched the extended cut of Johnny Mnemonic

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

just watched the extended cut of Johnny Mnemonic

with extra beat takeshi?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

with extra beat takeshi?

yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9V7rz2Dg7g

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in tyool 2017 your robot vacuum cleaner is selling maps of your home to the highest bidder

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have a roomba but it's really really old, do you have to connect the new ones to the internet?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

ahahaha

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
never buy any smart of iot devices ever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

I have a roomba but it's really really old, do you have to connect the new ones to the internet?

they have some kind of app integration so i'm guessing it's wifi or bt to the phone app

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

infernal machines posted:

they have some kind of app integration so i'm guessing it's wifi or bt to the phone app

So, has their security been compromised yet, and have they been exploited for malicious and/or amusing purposes?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not to my knowledge, but it's only a matter of time

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

never buy any smart of iot devices ever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

personally i can't wait 'till it comes out that all these "smart speaker" appliances are doing some ultrasonic beamforming sonar imaging of whatever room they're in so amazon literally knows everything on your shelves

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

don't be silly, that would cost an extra $0.50

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stick Insect posted:

So, has their security been compromised yet, and have they been exploited for malicious and/or amusing purposes?

internet tough guys are now trolling you with a map of your house rather than a picture of the outside

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

personally i can't wait 'till it comes out that all these "smart speaker" appliances are doing some ultrasonic beamforming sonar imaging of whatever room they're in so amazon literally knows everything on your shelves

smart speakers are extra stupid because the duty cycle of an average speaker is measured in decades and the "smart" part is usually obsolete in months

between the echo/goog home and bluetooth speakers I guess people like listening to their 2" paper cones though, idgi but I'm not the target market I guess

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what do you use the non speaker part of a smart speaker for anyway? people who would want it are already Channing's go their phones

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

you're not far off

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2016/03/ftc-issues-warning-letters-app-developers-using-silverpush-code

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

smart speakers are extra stupid because the duty cycle of an average speaker is measured in decades and the "smart" part is usually obsolete in months

That's not what duty cycle means

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Sagebrush posted:

you could also use half life interchangeably and still incorrectly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

qirex is a designer, they can use words however they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i also use words in ways that are technically incorrect but still perfectly understood by everyone who is not an engineer.

specifically to troll engineers, because whoo boy does it ever work. like, 100% success rate.

see also: fabricating a statistic for rhetorical effect

• Locked thread