Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
At least 2B is happy in that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Alas not even a setting which presupposes the absence of any organic lifeform which would want or even need to eat can protect you from Yoko Taro's unbridled cannibal lust.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Abhorrence posted:

At least 2B is happy in that ending.

there haven't really been many bad endings for 2B so far. Hell, she even seemed pretty cool with things as she died from mackerel poisoning

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
I would like to point out that the space babies are born from their salt mom, who is created by a Flower made by the watchers we never actually see one just their creations. We just know that they are so Bad Zero went nope and tried to destroy their creation which brought her back to life.

Though The whole Salt mom thing might explain the whole no sex goddess thing. In that if they do a Space baby is born or they start to become salt mom

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Bruceski posted:

Speak not the Watchers,
Draw not the Watchers,
Write not the Watchers,
Sculpt not the Watchers,
Sing not the Watchers,
Call not the Watchers' name.

Lalala

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bruceski posted:

Speak not the Watchers,
Draw not the Watchers,
Write not the Watchers,
Sculpt not the Watchers,
Sing not the Watchers,
Call not the Watchers' name.

Fish not always the Watchers.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Rangpur posted:

Alas not even a setting which presupposes the absence of any organic lifeform which would want or even need to eat can protect you from Yoko Taro's unbridled cannibal lust.

And those old-model androids even bleed!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Rangpur posted:

Alas not even a setting which presupposes the absence of any organic lifeform which would want or even need to eat nowhere can protect you from Yoko Taro's unbridled cannibal lust.

FTFY

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Death?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

:yokotaro:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I will refer you to the Flower resurrections.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Given Nier and Darkengard 3, no, all death means is you're coming back as an eldritch abomination if you're lucky.

If you're unlucky you end up in one of those weapon stories :unsmigghh:

New :yokotaro: drinking game, take a shot every time someone's soul is bound for eternity in a weapon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Given Nier and Darkengard 3, no, all death means is you're coming back as an eldritch abomination if you're lucky.

If you're unlucky you end up in one of those weapon stories :unsmigghh:

New :yokotaro: drinking game, take a shot every time someone's soul is bound for eternity in a weapon.

I call being the king who killed all the animals and lived happily ever after.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Oh, I’ll probably wander back to the village. I have plenty on my plate there.

:stonk: Good one, Taro... :stonklol:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I was really disappointed that they didn’t call this ending "The [G]reatest of Feasts." It would have been a fantastic callback.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sometimes, I can't tell if good ole' YT hates happiness or loves misery. Or both.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

U-DO Burger posted:

Hell, she even seemed pretty cool with things as she died from mackerel poisoning

As would I, it makes for the tastiest nigiri :kimchi:

(with the exception of fatty tuna, but I'm not made of G)

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I don't know, knowing that there will be a year or an existence even if we gently caress off to fish makes the game feel a bit cheap.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
This will be the canon ending leading into NieR 3, right?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They'll all be canon by Dragon Break. Mikhail is actually Akatosh.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So we've had clown robots, philosopher robots, kung-fu master robots, opera singer robots, cultist robots, forester robots, medieval kingdom robots, moose robots, dongless prettyboy robots, Godzilla robots, and now, to round it all out, rage zombie robots.

Am I missing anything?

Intended for that to be included under medieval kingdom robots but I suppose it is an important enough variation to get its own category.
VVVVVVV

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 25, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So we've had clown robots, philosopher robots, kung-fu master robots, opera singer robots, cultist robots, forester robots, medieval kingdom robots, moose robots, dongless prettyboy robots, Godzilla robots, and now, to round it all out, rage zombie robots.

Am I missing anything?

Baby robots.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Hey, weren't there rage zombie robots under the amusement park? I think they still had their masks on, though.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

Hey, weren't there rage zombie robots under the amusement park? I think they still had their masks on, though.

Masks couldn't have been on that much, since their attack is vomiting.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Junpei posted:

Sometimes, I can't tell if good ole' YT hates happiness or loves misery. Or both.

I think he just finds happy endings... problematic, especially in this kind of game. Keep in mind, a valid analysis of Yoko Taro's games up till now has been him responding to an industry wide acceptance of "justified murder." Drakengard in particular was meant to be a deconstruction of the Dynasty Warrior games, and their ilk, where a few people basically slaughter thousands of soldiers without batting an eye. Taro's contention was that you'd have to be some kind of absolute psychotic to do that without ending up a broken shell of a man (or woman), so he came up with Caim, and then gave him comrades to match - a psychotic cannibal, a racist old man, a child, and a pedophile who is otherwise kind of an okay guy I guess? Likewise, he thought about it, and decided that people like that don't really deserve a happy ending - which is why even the happiest ending of Drakengard is bittersweet at best.

This game does, by most accounts, have an ending that is actually happy, and not just "esoteric happy ending" or bittersweet. Haven't actually beat the game myself, so I can't really say.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

apocalypticCritic posted:

This game does, by most accounts, have an ending that is actually happy, and not just "esoteric happy ending" or bittersweet. Haven't actually beat the game myself, so I can't really say.

The ending is happy. And also... interesting.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GOI posted:

I would like to point out that the space babies are born from their salt mom, who is created by a Flower made by the watchers we never actually see one just their creations. We just know that they are so Bad Zero went nope and tried to destroy their creation which brought her back to life.

Though The whole Salt mom thing might explain the whole no sex goddess thing. In that if they do a Space baby is born or they start to become salt mom

They also are such bad news they made Caim kill for a reason other than pure pleasure. Mainly the reason of "OH WHAT FRESH HELL IS THIS?"

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

...Oh. No. It that mini-map reading was correct. The City Ruins is absolutely FLOODED with extremely aggressive machines. And more are being air-dropped in as we speak. I think we might have a problem on our hands.

Are the machines really being cannibals though? They were manufactured by a different species and they're constantly being distinguished from the androids. Down to having two different terms used.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Now that there are basically 5 games in the series, I wonder if Yoko Taro has a sort of end game in plan for this grand story, or if he makes up most of it as he goes. I can see it going both ways really.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't think he saw a Drakengard III happening, let alone a sequel to NIER. He just ties them together (Or not) as each one happens.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LordAba posted:

Now that there are basically 5 games in the series, I wonder if Yoko Taro has a sort of end game in plan for this grand story, or if he makes up most of it as he goes. I can see it going both ways really.

I think every game goes as if it's the last one. Nier followed up ending E and had the whole humanity going extinct thing (leaving aside the ones who had the sense to hide on the moon, anyway), Drakengard III repeated the last boss fight and revealing the origin of everything, and Nier Automata has things that come up later. They don't so much build to an endgame as have each game act as a valid endgame.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
The machines having teeth and going apeshit with them is a pretty great twist. I knew I could count on :yokotaro:.

Kavak posted:

I don't think he saw a Drakengard III happening, let alone a sequel to NIER. He just ties them together (Or not) as each one happens.

That's probably for the best. Grand, unified megastories sound awesome in theory, but when writers try that out, they tend to hemorrhage a lot of their audience before they finish, assuming they even get that far.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Man, can you imagine something like all the little heads on the goliath bipeds eating androids?

The Dark Id posted:

Pascal zooms off into the sky and leaves us to our devises in this

If 2B is ever quick enough in entering an area will new enemies spawn,

The machines ahead or just basic Stubby Boys

all of them are far aggressive than usual.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So if you disconnect you go crazy unless your name is Pascal.

If you stay connected you turn into a psychotic Ken doll who either thinks blood sport is the pinnacle of human existence or you get a bunch of rad tattoos and have a really fancy...dinner table? On some building?

Things seem to be getting more and more hosed.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Solitair posted:

The machines having teeth and going apeshit with them is a pretty great twist. I knew I could count on :yokotaro:.

That's probably for the best. Grand, unified megastories sound awesome in theory, but when writers try that out, they tend to hemorrhage a lot of their audience before they finish, assuming they even get that far.

Big megastories tend to also drag out every possible plot line, so eventually it feels like nothing ever gets resolved and none of the characters actually change. And then when a plot line finally is resolved, the resolution is almost never worth the wait.

The nice thing about the Drakenier series is each game stands on its own, with just enough to tie them together that it can be seen as a continuous story.
Versus, say, Xenosaga, where nothing is resolved until they run out of budget and suddenly everything is resolved but nobody cares.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

axeil posted:

The most hosed is the ending where Adam and Eve are both dead, so the new controller of the machine network is Jean-Paul.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

axeil posted:

If you stay connected you turn into a psychotic Ken doll who either thinks blood sport is the pinnacle of human existence or you get a bunch of rad tattoos and have a really fancy...dinner table? On some building?

Do while loops on an outside simulation of human culture can get weird when left to run amok.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

axeil posted:

Worth pointing out that no machine in Pascal's village is connected to the network, so clearly some others don't go crazy when they disconnect.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

apocalypticCritic posted:

Worth pointing out that no machine in Pascal's village is connected to the network, so clearly some others don't go crazy when they disconnect.

Pascal's village is a lot older than the BECOME AS GODS guys. I think they went nuts because they were traumatically disconnected due to Adam getting clipped rather than disconnecting on their own. They coulda not gone nuts if they had a non-insane support system, but instead they had the Church of Some Dead Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
I wonder if there's fan art out there of 2B as a grizzled fisher-android.

• Locked thread