Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

All New Sonic posted:

I went to a gaming party in the mid-2000s that had five CRTs, five GameCubes, four Game Boy Players, four GameCube-Game Boy Advance link cables, and four broadband adapters all hooked up in the living room. I got to experience Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Crystal Chronicles, and Four Swords Adventures the way God intended, and it was glorious.
Where were you? I had that setup back then but I did not host house parties that often. I mean I still have the setup, minus the tvs, but if it wasnt one of my parties I am very curious to who else spent the time and money to get it all together.

fishmech posted:

That still pales in comparison to getting the full setup for Game Boy Faceball 2000.

You need 16 Game Boys or other systems that have a Game Link port and play GB cartridges, 15 Game Link cables, 7 Four Player Adapters, and of course 16 Faceball 2000 cartridges.

Last I heard, the biggest confirmed game ever gotten together was 10 players at once, but the game does support 16 which has been shown to work in emulator setups.
I only got 5 player going once. I need more Gamecubes with GBA players before going for the 16 player setup.

Ineffiable posted:

I'm really bad at following scene stuff. Have they made any progress towards a Sega saturn gd rom- USB adapter Ala what dreamcast has? Sega saturn is one of the last disc based systems I need to convert into a digital medium for longer reliability.
A guy with the handle Professor Abrasive is making a device called the Saturn Satiator. It is plugin card that will mount games from a USB drive. No mod required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think anything works for you ever. :lol:

I think someone else called you out that everything you buy breaks. There must be a common denominator here... :cheeky:

To be fair that thing I had for more then a year at this point. I never really liked having a knockoff Everdrive but couldn't return it like the other two ones I bought from Amazon (fake N64 and Super UFO) so I just kept it. I am surprise it lasted this long for being a obvious fake.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Oh darn, my fake Everdrive MD for the Genesis isn't working. What a shame since I been looking for a excuse to get the legit Everdrive X5. Or should I get the X7 for sixty more?

Get the Everdrive X5 as it's the one with the fewest electrical issues that could fry your console.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Wizgot posted:

What are the best 2-player games on the SNES and Genesis?

Goof Troop
NBA Jam
Hit The Ice

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Wizgot posted:

Toejam and Earl
Contra III

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wizgot posted:

Final Fantasy VI

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Wizgot posted:

Genesis - Beavis and Butthead

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

univbee posted:

Final Fantasy VI
What does player 2 do in this one?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I was thinking about that as well, especially using the shoddy knockoff Everdrive that is very likely to fry my Genesis. And yay the other Everdrives I have are 'good' or better so at least no worries about getting a fried system. Gone ahead and ordered the X5, especially if I ever get a Sega CD.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Shadow Hog posted:

What does player 2 do in this one?

Controls two characters in battle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wizgot posted:

Streets of Rage II

Road Rash

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Spoderman posted:

Toejam and Earl
Contra III

I want Toejam and Earl so bad but I'm not willing to shell out 50+ for a CIB copy.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Wizgot posted:

I want Toejam and Earl so bad but I'm not willing to shell out 50+ for a CIB copy.

Wow! When did it get so expensive?? Did some sleaze with an insufferable voice make a youtube video about it? I remember that game being only slightly less common than Not for Resale Sonic 2 and Madden games.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It's the Earthbound effect, where a game gets a reputation as way better and rarer than it actually is and it drives up the price

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
It also helps that the game totally rules

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Spoderman posted:

Wow! When did it get so expensive?? Did some sleaze with an insufferable voice make a youtube video about it? I remember that game being only slightly less common than Not for Resale Sonic 2 and Madden games.

It was on James and Mike Mondays a couple years back.

Light Gun Man posted:

It also helps that the game totally rules

Best Console roguelike of the 90s IMO

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Wizgot posted:

It was on James and Mike Mondays a couple years back.
Same thing happened with Skykid. It went from a <$5 common game to $30+

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Wizgot posted:

Altered Beast
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Contra Hard Corps
Streets of Rage 2

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Toejam and Earl has been going up pretty steadily, in line with every other good retro game out there. In 2011 the going price for a CiB was $20. In 2012 it was around $30 (I remember thinking I got a steal for getting a copy for $20 on ebay in 2012). Doubling five years later isn't exactly out of the norm. It was never one of those dirt cheap common games like Sonic 2.

Panic on Funkotron, on the other hand...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

For 2P vs there are plenty. When it comes to 2P co-op most of your options are going to be beat/shoot-em-ups. Can't really go wrong with Streets of Rage.

IMO hands down the best 2P co-op game from that era is Goof Troop. Toejam and Earl is a lot of fun too. There's also Seiken Densetsu 3 (and possibly Secret of Mana?) if you want to buddy up for an RPG adventure. I don't recommend FF6 for this because the second player spends most of their time waiting for player 1 to get through plot poo poo.

I think co-op play wasn't available in the original Mario Kart, unfortunately. The Donkey Kong Country series is fun to play if you're both evenly matched, but if one of you is significantly more skilled than the other the gameplay becomes very one sided.

Edit: oh yeah and seconding the Gunstar Heroes and Contra 3 suggestions.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 24, 2017

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

IMO hands down the best 2P co-op game from that era is Goof Troop. Toejam and Earl is a lot of fun too. There's also Seiken Densetsu 3 (and possibly Secret of Mana?) if you want to buddy up for an RPG adventure. I don't recommend FF6 for this because the second player spends most of their time waiting for player 1 to get through plot poo poo.

FF6's 2 player mode is more of a 'little sibling' mode akin to playing as Tails in Sonic 2 & 3 as opposed to a full-fledged co-op experience.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spoderman posted:

FF6's 2 player mode is more of a 'little sibling' mode akin to playing as Tails in Sonic 2 & 3 as opposed to a full-fledged co-op experience.

Yeah exactly. It's why I didn't mention Sonic. I only mentioned FF6 because someone brought it up (probably as a joke response) already.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Obligatory mention for Turtles in Time

And a :yeah: for Metal warriors. But yes you probably will need to use a flashcart for that one. If you can, the versus mode is great fun especially with random mechs- option.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TeaJay posted:

Obligatory mention for Turtles in Time

Oh yes this too. Game absolutely owns.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Super Smash TV for SNES is a really fun multiplayer game

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
SNES Pocky & Rocky owns

It's like the perfect fusion of Gauntlet & R-Type with an anime skin.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm partial to Arcus Odyssey on the Genesis

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

al-azad posted:

I rarely play a game pre-2000 without a strategy guide anymore but I always try to go for a published one.

It's nice for looking up how many gold skulltulas and pieces of heart that I need to find without opening up Chrome on my phone. I just don't have the game memorized as well as I do with Zelda 1 or Link's Awakening.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Star Man posted:

It's 2017 and I am referring to my official Ocarina of Time guide book that I bought in 1999 for the 3DS version.

The official guide is better than the Prima guide but the best ocarina of time guide by a mile was the bradygames one.

Wizgot posted:

What is the best 2-player game on the SNES and Genesis?

TMNT: IV Turtles in Time / Hyperstone Heist

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Star Man posted:

It's nice for looking up how many gold skulltulas and pieces of heart that I need to find without opening up Chrome on my phone. I just don't have the game memorized as well as I do with Zelda 1 or Link's Awakening.

Getting all of those loving spiders and heart pieces without a guide or outside help of any kind is probably my greatest gaming achievement.

Zaphod42 posted:

The official guide is better than the Prima guide but the best ocarina of time guide by a mile was the bradygames one.

The official guide is good, but drat it's weird to loving read. All of the info is narrative in the past tense.

"Link jumped across the stones and found a blue rupee. It was a nice surprise."

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 24, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
did I just miss someone mentioning Secret of Mana or did you guys not mention it :toot:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'll chip in that Golden Axe II for the Genesis is a good choice. Final Fight II and Bust-A-Move are also good two player games for the SNES.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

The official guide is good, but drat it's weird to loving read. All of the info is narrative in the past tense.

"Link jumped across the stones and found a blue rupee. It was a nice surprise."

Yeah but the killer thing for me is the maps.

Prima guide: Look at these tiny loving screenshots lmao, also we have the same maps that you have in-game

Official guide: Here's some fancy renders of the levels from above them, shows the whole map in 3D, something you normally can't see, uses actual in-game rendering

Bradygames guide: HAND DRAWN MAPS OF EVERY ROOM IN THE GAME, with color and details

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Caitlin posted:

did I just miss someone mentioning Secret of Mana or did you guys not mention it :toot:

Mak0rz listed it and its sequel.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Had a good ol' time cleaning a few N64 carts my friend gave me. Most were pretty trashed, but they're all working now and are very clean.

The N64 also had a ton of dust in it, but is working great. Gonna send it off for a RGB mod pretty soon.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Fire Striker might be the best co-op game on SNES, and checking eBay prices, I see people have finally figured that out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Caitlin posted:

the former :colbert:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
secret of mana is amazing with three players

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

secret of mana is amazing with three players

It would be if the menu system didn't constantly pause the game for all players :sigh:

Secret of Mana with like FF Crystal Chronicles style game-boy controls so everybody had their own menu screen would be so good. Or just like, as a 3DS or switch game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I remember having a lot of fun with Sunset Riders on SNES. Never played the Genesis version.

• Locked thread