Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

There's arguments to be made that RGB's color space / reproduction is better and when you look at the results it seems valid to me. YPbPr isn't the same thing.

Probably should have gone with one < instead of two though. I think there's also arguments that component is slightly sharper but it doesn't seem that big a deal.

I just don't buy this. Are there some good rgb vs component side-by-sides? RGB is calculable from YPbPr and vice versa. You get the same color signals. Putting one above the other seems like some audiophile-style bs that will end up with people wanting to jump through hoops to get Wii scart cables instead of some $5 component cables from Amazon. Any difference in "sharpness" probably has more to do with how some specific piece of hardware outputs those different signals than converting between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

RZA Encryption posted:

Are there some good rgb vs component side-by-sides?

yes

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

al-azad posted:

Didn't they make the re-release of Four Swords with online play a limited window release?

You can't bet on Nintendo, you'll lose every time.

It didn't have netplay and was a port of the GBA game to DSiWare with some additional content. But yes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

It didn't have netplay and was a port of the GBA game to DSiWare with some additional content. But yes.

The key thing is it let you play any number, including solo with a dummy Link. The original was 4 exclusively.

e: Or it may be 2-3, it definitely didn't have singleplayer in the original GBA release.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yes, I've seen that and agree the Wii outputs rgb and component differently.

quote:

Any difference in "sharpness" probably has more to do with how some specific piece of hardware outputs those different signals than converting between them.

The side-by-sides I'd like to see would be same device, same display, RGB vs RGB converted to component.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Anyone that tells you that they've played Four Swords is a liar.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Star Man posted:

does 20 min of the GC version count?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

FireMrshlBill posted:

does 20 min of the GC version count?

That's Four Swords Adventures, which shares 0 content with the GBA multiplayer game.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

So I won one of the super famicom auctions I mentioned a couple days ago...

Looking at getting a SD2SNES cart now. :retrogames:

Is this compatibility list up to date? https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

The side-by-sides I'd like to see would be same device, same display, RGB vs RGB converted to component.

There's probably no significant and meaningful difference, from a layman's view, between the two. RGB might have a slight edge because its signal is essentially a flood of video data, but again, it's not something significant to end users.

YPbPr exists precisely because RGB signals are so information-rich; by putting the brightness and sync on the green channel and eliminating that particular color channel, it meant that video cameras could store more high-quality video data per tape than they would have been able to do with RGB. And then this transported over to the consumer realm in the late 1990s, since lots of broadcasting and video work was done with YPbPr-enabled equipment already and adapting it for consumer TVs, DVD players, and then home consoles was comparatively simple to do, while also offering a notable benefit over RF, composite, and S-Video.

That said, there is merit to raw RGB if you can use it. The most obvious reason is that I'm hard pressed to think of a pre-Xbox/GC/PS2 console that does YPbPr natively (be it right out the AV port or with a mod), but plenty of stuff does RGB + sync. And while RGB can be adapted to YPbPr, as with those SCART-to-YPbPr boxes or the HD Retrovision cables, that doesn't means its guaranteed to be a decent conversion the way running a raw RGB signal directly on a display might be.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

This is my PCE with an RGB mod by a well regarded modder in the PCE community and a high quality cable running on my PVM 20M2MDU in RGB as well as through an RGB to component transcoder.

Forgive the color difference. I bought the RGB to Component transcoder to use with my capture card but I never calibrated it because my capture card doesn't work with 240p. I dug it out just for you but I don't feel like calibrating it if I'm never going to use it again.

RGB:

RGB Full Res

Component:

Component Full Res

The two are really similar but the component looks a bit softer to me, it's especially noticeable in the text and more notable in person than in the pictures.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Breadallelogram posted:

It should be; I haven't heard any major news about ikari breaking the compatibility (or incompatibility, for that matter) of the SD2SNES of late, and that list of incompatible games looks like it has the same special chip support hiccups that have been afflicting every SNES flashcart.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It should be; I haven't heard any major news about ikari breaking the compatibility (or incompatibility, for that matter) of the SD2SNES of late, and that list of incompatible games looks like it has the same special chip support hiccups that have been afflicting every SNES flashcart.

Wish it would speed up a little. That one of the things that makes the SNES Classic more enticing then the NES Classic is a lot of the major games that are not playable on the SD2SNES are playable there.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Star Man posted:

If you're talking the GBA one I played through it with some friends in high school.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

Correct. To elaborate, where they say "Star Ocean (Unhacked version)", there is a patch converting it from a 48 megabit ROM to a 96 megabit ROM and bypassing the need for the decompression chip. Both Japanese and English-patched ROM's which are expanded to 96 megabits in this manner will work with the SD2SNES, as well as the SNES Powerpak (but not with the Super Everdrive as that doesn't enough ROM space).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Any argument on component v RGB is actually pretty pointless since any system that outputs component natively also outputs at a higher resolution which obviously beats RGB's 480i/240p limits. The Retrovision cables and stuff might be slightly softer or whatever, but that would be more due to conversion issues than anything with the format itself.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I just picked up an AV Famicom at a con today and I have a small problem: my 72-60 pin adapter isn't playing nice with it. It works fine on my RF Famicom, but all I get is a green screen on the AV. I cleaned all the contacts on the converter and the system, but still nothing. Regular Famicom carts work just fine. Are such converters incompatible with the AV Fami? If there is one that works, could someone recommend one?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ProjektorBoy posted:

What about the wacky Lodgenet N64 controllers that hooked up to hotel TV's? Where they charged something stupid like $5 for 2 hours access to a game.

The system isn't in the controller, it's in the TV or a box hidden near it, and it loads games in over the hotel cable network. If you wished to do so, you could splice a normal N64 connector onto one of the LodgeNet controllers and use it with a normal N64, albeit the special LodgeNet buttons would either not work or just send nonsense as far as normal N64 software is concerned.

Elliotw2 posted:

Any argument on component v RGB is actually pretty pointless since any system that outputs component natively also outputs at a higher resolution which obviously beats RGB's 480i/240p limits. The Retrovision cables and stuff might be slightly softer or whatever, but that would be more due to conversion issues than anything with the format itself.

There's no such thing as RGB being limited to 480i/240p, where'd you get that notion? There's nothing stopping analog RGB from working at much higher resolutions than 480i, everyone's old VGA monitors was using analog RGB in the first place.

Standard quality cables can easily handle up to 1920*1200 resolution over normal lengths of cable without resulting in your video being too blurred from interference, that's one of the reasons 1920x1080 was decided on for the top HDTV resolution when the standards were being set in the early 90s. It was expected that analog interconnects might have to be used between a digital tuner and a high resolution display screen without a tuner.

The Xbox 360 natively outputs an HD RGB signal when you use the VGA cables, for that matter (PS3 does not have any native support for that, so VGA with the PS3 is all about converting the HDMI or component options).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You know exactly what I loving mean, not the Xbox 360 or HDTV's running RGB via VGA cables, I mean Wii and older consoles.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Moai Ou posted:

I just picked up an AV Famicom at a con today and I have a small problem: my 72-60 pin adapter isn't playing nice with it. It works fine on my RF Famicom, but all I get is a green screen on the AV. I cleaned all the contacts on the converter and the system, but still nothing. Regular Famicom carts work just fine. Are such converters incompatible with the AV Fami? If there is one that works, could someone recommend one?

NES-to-Famicom adapters (that is, adapters to play the larger NES cartridges on a Famicom) seem to be a real crapshoot in general. Anything "YOBO" branded especially seems useless.

That said, I recall having good luck with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptor-Converter-Famicom-72-pin-to-60-pin-nes-games-Console-Nintendo-NTSC-PAL-/322349965994

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Rirse posted:

Wish it would speed up a little. That one of the things that makes the SNES Classic more enticing then the NES Classic is a lot of the major games that are not playable on the SD2SNES are playable there.

This is exactly why I'm buying a SNES. Almost all of the games that I have any interest in playing on my SNES that I don't have the carts for anymore and can't use my flash cart for are on the Classic.

Except Stunt Race FX, but that's more of a curiosity. I played it once in a TRU back in the day as a kid and thought it was interesting at the time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

You know exactly what I loving mean, not the Xbox 360 or HDTV's running RGB via VGA cables, I mean Wii and older consoles.

Again. There's no "RGB limit" that makes it only work with 480i/"240p". It's perfectly capable of running at 480p and much higher.

Some consoles have quirks in stock RGB output that prevent them from supporting 480p without further modification, but that's not RGB's fault anymore than composite is limited to "240p" because that's what an NES will put over the link, or that component was limited to 480p because a GameCube would only support 480p over it (while an Xbox and a PS2 would both give you 720p AND 1080i modes with appropriate games).

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That said, there is merit to raw RGB if you can use it. The most obvious reason is that I'm hard pressed to think of a pre-Xbox/GC/PS2 console that does YPbPr natively (be it right out the AV port or with a mod), but plenty of stuff does RGB + sync. And while RGB can be adapted to YPbPr, as with those SCART-to-YPbPr boxes or the HD Retrovision cables, that doesn't means its guaranteed to be a decent conversion the way running a raw RGB signal directly on a display might be.
Some SNES's do (mine does) you just have to pull them from the chip and output them somehow (I just put component that ports on the back of mine).

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

DoctorWhat posted:

That's Four Swords Adventures, which shares 0 content with the GBA multiplayer game.

I'm fully aware, was adding onto the joke since it is surprising to hear people be able to say they played that even with its single player ability.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Star Man posted:

I played through the whole thing once, but I had the advantage of triplet cousins who all had GBAs at the time. I have also played Crystal Chronicles with 4 people, for like half an hour before one GBA ran out of battery.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
I went to a gaming party in the mid-2000s that had five CRTs, five GameCubes, four Game Boy Players, four GameCube-Game Boy Advance link cables, and four broadband adapters all hooked up in the living room. I got to experience Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Crystal Chronicles, and Four Swords Adventures the way God intended, and it was glorious.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that I'm more or less done buying games I think I'm going to move on to collecting arcade marquees and cabinet art. I realized I have literally nothing hanging on my walls and it's a market that's surprisingly cheap even with originals.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Did Tetra's Trackers in 4 Swords ever get a US release, like as part of the 3DS release or something else? I had a friend with an import copy of 4 Swords, and it was a really cool game mode, I think it was my favorite of the different modes in 4 Swords.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Anyone with a NEO GEO AES can confirm something for me?

I picked up one with the 3.1 Universal bios installed, and I noticed an issue. It's resetting the bios settings to default [European Console] instead of maintaining USA Console on reboot/restart.

Do I need the memory card for it to save the settings? I'll probably get the Neo Masta aftermarket one since it's a bit more affordable and uses newer memory technology that doesn't require a battery.

Also troubleshooting "stray noisy" black pixels on a few games... I'm not sure if its due to the lovely composite video or the HD scaler on the Samsung HD set. I'll bust out the RGBs cables and the Extron scaler for a "more proper" look later.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chainclaw posted:

Did Tetra's Trackers in 4 Swords ever get a US release, like as part of the 3DS release or something else? I had a friend with an import copy of 4 Swords, and it was a really cool game mode, I think it was my favorite of the different modes in 4 Swords.

Nope. From what I recall, they pulled it out so they could sell it as a separate game as part of a cheap tactic to put more GC-GBA games on the shelves but after 4 Swords Adventures flopped they didn't bother following through.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

NES-to-Famicom adapters (that is, adapters to play the larger NES cartridges on a Famicom) seem to be a real crapshoot in general. Anything "YOBO" branded especially seems useless.

That said, I recall having good luck with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptor-Converter-Famicom-72-pin-to-60-pin-nes-games-Console-Nintendo-NTSC-PAL-/322349965994

I tend to recommend this kind of adapter to play NES games on the AV Famicom, since it's a bit more robust than the other one and sits very sturdily on top of the console.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shielded-72...4sAAOSwa-dWk88o

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Any recommendations for a Super Famicom AC adapter, playing in the US? I found some 3rd party Japanese ones and I think I have a plug adapter around here somewhere, but I've also seen that a Genesis model 1 AC adapter works as well.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Breadallelogram posted:

Any recommendations for a Super Famicom AC adapter, playing in the US? I found some 3rd party Japanese ones and I think I have a plug adapter around here somewhere, but I've also seen that a Genesis model 1 AC adapter works as well.

The AC adapter that comes with the SFC will work fine on 110V.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

All New Sonic posted:

I went to a gaming party in the mid-2000s that had five CRTs, five GameCubes, four Game Boy Players, four GameCube-Game Boy Advance link cables, and four broadband adapters all hooked up in the living room. I got to experience Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Crystal Chronicles, and Four Swords Adventures the way God intended, and it was glorious.

That still pales in comparison to getting the full setup for Game Boy Faceball 2000.

You need 16 Game Boys or other systems that have a Game Link port and play GB cartridges, 15 Game Link cables, 7 Four Player Adapters, and of course 16 Faceball 2000 cartridges.

Last I heard, the biggest confirmed game ever gotten together was 10 players at once, but the game does support 16 which has been shown to work in emulator setups.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone ever played the Super Metroid Zero Mission romhack? I have never played the GBA Zero mission (never owned a GBA) and I went into this romhack pretty much blind. I like Super Metroid a lot, but I can't use any "advanced" tactics (for some reason I just can't get the feel for wall jumping, only can do maybe 1-2 jumps consecutively) so the difficulty feels quite high. It feels like a bit more of a maze than the original SM, but it's a lot of fun to play, even though I only made it to Kraid's lair so far.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

fishmech posted:

That still pales in comparison to getting the full setup for Game Boy Faceball 2000.

You need 16 Game Boys or other systems that have a Game Link port and play GB cartridges, 15 Game Link cables, 7 Four Player Adapters, and of course 16 Faceball 2000 cartridges.

Last I heard, the biggest confirmed game ever gotten together was 10 players at once, but the game does support 16 which has been shown to work in emulator setups.

welp, looks like I have a new personal goal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Someone needs to do that with 16 Super Game Boy 2's. If Faceball allows teams, everyone on the same team can have the same color palette selection. :v:

So I've just played a dozen stars in Super Mario 64 Rumble Edition. Ready for some thoughts?

First, the Rumble Pack is a terrible accessory. Now I'll be the first to admit that part of my problem may be that I have an off brand rumble pack purchased around 1998 that hasn't been used since then. Still, if you have an add on designed to shake as much as possible, do not have it plug into the underside of the controller. I've had it shake itself right out three times. And it's a big, heavy block on the back end of where I'm supporting the controller. The N64 controller is unpleasant enough, there's a reason I've had this accessory locked in my shed for twenty years.

As you'd expect for what is essentially the first console game to be implemented with this kind of feature (there were force feedback controllers for PC games before this), it is badly implemented. Here are things that trigger rumbling:

• Sliding on the ground.
  • Butt stomping
  • Getting hit
  • Getting a red or blue coin
  • Entering a painting
  • Bowser's steps (probably the best use of the feature)
  • Hitting a wall at speed
  • Making a strong stroke while swimming
  • Throwing things
  • Getting a star, getting a 100 coin star really makes it shake violently

So things are shaking a lot, but not necessarily is interesting ways. The way the rumble pack was balanced also made some of the low level and short burst rumbles just feel wobbly.

I can't really say that the Rumble Pak adds a whole lot to this game. It's still Mario 64, so that's good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TeaJay posted:

Has anyone ever played the Super Metroid Zero Mission romhack? I have never played the GBA Zero mission (never owned a GBA) and I went into this romhack pretty much blind. I like Super Metroid a lot, but I can't use any "advanced" tactics (for some reason I just can't get the feel for wall jumping, only can do maybe 1-2 jumps consecutively) so the difficulty feels quite high. It feels like a bit more of a maze than the original SM, but it's a lot of fun to play, even though I only made it to Kraid's lair so far.

I played a bit of it and it's pretty good.

I dunno if this helps but IME most people that have trouble wall jumping Super Metroid are doing one or both of two things: "sliding" their thumbs across the D-pad and trying to press jump simultaneously.

Let go of the D-pad and press the opposite direction, then hit the jump button immediately after that. It's way more reliable.

Edit: Sliding the D-pad screws it up because you're likely to hit up or down accidentally, which interrupts the somersault. Hitting jump second works because I think Samus is programmed to wall jump only if she's moving away from the wall, or something like that.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 23, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I played a bit of it and it's pretty good.

I dunno if this helps but IME most people that have trouble wall jumping Super Metroid are doing one or both of two things: "sliding" their thumbs across the D-pad and trying to press jump simultaneously.

Let go of the D-pad and press the opposite direction, then hit the jump button immediately after that. It's way more reliable.

Edit: Sliding the D-pad screws it up because you're likely to hit up or down accidentally, which interrupts the somersault. Hitting jump second works because I think Samus is programmed to wall jump only if she's moving away from the wall, or something like that.

This tip definitely helped me. I brought it up because I hit a location with a similar long vertical corridor from original SM where the animal teaches you how to wall jump (although there are alcoves on the left side in case you can't). I kinda try to do it now as a 1-2 motion - first press direction and jump immediately after. I was almost able to clear the corridor this way. just made it to the top. Never made it in the original either.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

Sixteen people get to enjoy 5 fps gaming at the same time? Sign me up!

• Locked thread