Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Unlucky dude, takes a lot to even do it.

How much do you spar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ImplicitAssembler posted:

How many rounds? Your opponent looked totally gassed out.

Best of 3, so two rounds if you win both. Clock stops for throws and clinches, so a 2min round can drag out way longer.
He was extremely gassed -- putting his hands on his knees at the edge, but I couldn't capitalize cuz I was maybe one notch behind him and not exactly coordinated after eating those punches. I was dazed a couple times in the second, whenever I grab my headgear.

willie_dee posted:

Unlucky dude, takes a lot to even do it.

How much do you spar?
I've been training for a while, maybe 8 years. First smoker in 2013. For a training camp, I'll go up to sparring twice weekly, maybe 10-15 rounds. Obviously if I was catching this kind of damage in sparring, I'd never be allowed to compete.

I've discussed in this thread before the deliberation over when to quit the sport over damage to the head, and this wasn't the worst feeling I've felt, which is scary in a way. I've taken lesser punches that I felt for days. I had a slight headache for the rest of the day, but my facilities were pretty much all there after I got up.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

kimbo305 posted:

I've discussed in this thread before the deliberation over when to quit the sport over damage to the head, and this wasn't the worst feeling I've felt, which is scary in a way. I've taken lesser punches that I felt for days. I had a slight headache for the rest of the day, but my facilities were pretty much all there after I got up.

I'm asking just because you bring it up and I really don't want to make it sound like advice but like a legitimate question (You're much harder than i'll ever be as I don't ever want to step into a cage so no judgement)

My question is : If you're thinking about stopping doing events, isn't that perhaps a good reason to stop? I'm kinda surprised you went back as last year you were pretty clear in your desire to stop after that event.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Odddzy posted:

I'm asking just because you bring it up and I really don't want to make it sound like advice but like a legitimate question (You're much harder than i'll ever be as I don't ever want to step into a cage so no judgement)

My question is : If you're thinking about stopping doing events, isn't that perhaps a good reason to stop? I'm kinda surprised you went back as last year you were pretty clear in your desire to stop after that event.

Yeah -- there's a degree of distraction that that can cause problems performing in the ring that I've felt before. Going into this training camp, I didn't feel that way, and I didn't really get hurt badly enough to second guess myself in the way into the event. So as far as competition goes, my general philosophy is: decide if you're healthy, decide if you can accept the risk, and make sure your coaches are on the same page. To do it again, it was always the second question for me. The damage I took is definitely something I was willing to accept. And of course, I'm still thinking about next year despite every argument to the contrary.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
Thanks Kimbo and well done stepping up again this year. Yeah, you were pressing the fight but you looked a bit more jittery compared to last year. Not a lot of clinching, but I guess that was because he was bigger? Seeing that knockdown in the second was tough.

You've done the event twice now and you've got a while before deciding whether to do it next year. I look forward to an update when you start grappling 4 realz.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I legit don't see how you can take amateur fights without being on steroids if the USA scene is anything like the C league here in the UK. Everyone is on them, so the logic is that your opponent will be, so there's no harm in you being on them.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

willie_dee posted:

I legit don't see how you can take amateur fights without being on steroids if the USA scene is anything like the C league here in the UK. Everyone is on them, so the logic is that your opponent will be, so there's no harm in you being on them.

God you're insufferable.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Odddzy posted:

God you're insufferable.

And who are you?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

God you're insufferable.

willie_dee posted:

And who are you?

:suspense:.

I wish an admin would thunderdome noted poster Willie_Dee and whom ever antagonized/antagonizes him

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I boxed without being on steroids. You think everyone is on steroids because you're on steroids and you need to justify yourself in your own brain. You're not cheating, everyone is doing it.

Odddzy posted:

God you're insufferable.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

willie_dee posted:

I dont know, maybe some people see a downside to taking steroids, you know, the "physical, might gently caress me up" downside(?)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bangkero posted:

Thanks Kimbo and well done stepping up again this year. Yeah, you were pressing the fight but you looked a bit more jittery compared to last year.
Not a lot of clinching, but I guess that was because he was bigger?
Reviewing video, I think I thought he was pretty open and could be hit with single strikes. Wasn't setting up kicks with combos cuz I was still afraid of getting punched back (had a slight reach deficit).
He was definitely bigger dimensionally, but he might have been lighter given his skinnier legs.
I would have definitely benefitted from keeping calm and trying to slow the pace down and outwork him for longer, but after getting rocked, my fight IQ took a dip.

Sanshou is such a tiny sport. This was the US Nationals and I only had 7 (a lot!) of people in my weight class. No regionals feeding in.
There might be guys doping for it, but I think it'd be a small minority, and certainly wouldn't have made the difference in the fights in my class.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I don't suppose anyone knows a US based distributor that can send out mongkols?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

mewse posted:

I boxed without being on steroids. You think everyone is on steroids because you're on steroids and you need to justify yourself in your own brain. You're not cheating, everyone is doing it.

I don't compete?

kimbo305 posted:

There might be guys doping for it, but I think it'd be a small minority, and certainly wouldn't have made the difference in the fights in my class.

Yea, I was more getting at how impressive it was that you do compete whilst not cheating.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Willie with another enlightening bit of "logic"

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I don't compete?

Then don't say poo poo like "I don't see how someone could compete without being on steroids"!!! It is stupid as gently caress and you don't justify it when you clarify with "oh but I don't compete".

I've followed your posts for years so I know you're not a bad person, I believe you meant this as a badly phrased compliment, but I think you should never mention steroids here again.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

mewse posted:

Then don't say poo poo like "I don't see how someone could compete without being on steroids"!!! It is stupid as gently caress and you don't justify it when you clarify with "oh but I don't compete".

I've followed your posts for years so I know you're not a bad person, I believe you meant this as a badly phrased compliment, but I think you should never mention steroids here again.

You know what, that's fair. I won't bring them up again. Thanks for being nice + polite and not trying to knock my confidence like that other guy who's trying to get us all killed.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

i am on a personal quest to kill each and every one of you

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Come find me bitchhhhh

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

You know what, that's fair.

Thank you for understanding. If it makes you feel better you have now been the recipient of a Strongly Worded Letter that Canadians constantly joke about but rarely write down.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

willie_dee posted:

You know what, that's fair. I won't bring them up again. Thanks for being nice + polite and not trying to knock my confidence like that other guy who's trying to get us all killed.

I don't have anything to add but this response is super decent and it's nice to see arguments/discussions that don't end in obnoxious drama. I like reading this thread and that kind of thing makes it even better.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Is it ok for someone else to bring up steroids?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Kimbo good on you for going out there. I think staying outside was definitely the plan to go with, you were doing well at range and you landed what seemed like pretty damaging leg kicks directly on his thigh. You had the classic southpaw failing of dealing with the right hand. I'm not sure if you could take a less square stance to try and mitigate some of that but I can't offer much more than that since I never figured it out myself when I boxed southpaw.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

Is it ok for someone else to bring up steroids?

There's a steroid thread with some top tier posters in it in the drugs bit of this forum. They are very confidence inspiring.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I'm still new to this so maybe someone can enlighten me, but are steroids a problem in the world of competitive BJJ?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

spiralbrain posted:

I'm still new to this so maybe someone can enlighten me, but are steroids a problem in the world of competitive BJJ?

Depends how you define "problem" I guess...

I don't think they bother testing, generally.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Kimbo good on you for going out there. I think staying outside was definitely the plan to go with, you were doing well at range and you landed what seemed like pretty damaging leg kicks directly on his thigh. You had the classic southpaw failing of dealing with the right hand. I'm not sure if you could take a less square stance to try and mitigate some of that but I can't offer much more than that since I never figured it out myself when I boxed southpaw.

Yeah, once I got rocked in the first, I really had trouble reading his cross, which got me rocked a few more times. Given his low overall technique, I should have tried fencing his range with front sidekicks, scoring off the chest shield for 2pts.
I fell victim to the classic error of repeating something that worked once really well. Hit him with a solid body kick that had him grunting even through the chest shield (which is equivalent in protection to a shin guard), and then I was like, oh yeah, I can hurt him with kicks.

e: another thing I'm not good at is having the right guard stance. For point-scoring mode, take down defense, and speed, I'll carry my hands low like I did in this fight. If there's a lot of hands (which most sanshou guys don't have) and hard kicks, I'll use a more traditional kickboxing guard with hands higher (and feet closer together, but that's on me, not necessarily a good idea), which generally slows down my head movement. I should have switched over to a tighter guard, but there's a million shouldas to run through for 4 min of fighting.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 25, 2017

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

spiralbrain posted:

no, you can do as many steroids as you like

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

willie_dee posted:

There's a steroid thread with some top tier posters in it in the drugs bit of this forum. They are very confidence inspiring.

link?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

old.flv posted:

no, you can do as many steroids as you like

Paulo Miyao would probably disagree.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Right all jokes aside in this post compared to all my others, and not trying to wind up anyone, but if you are going down this route research the topic to the point where you know the information in the OP independently without having to refer to it, they are dangerous and can really mess you up if you do them wrong.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792970

spiralbrain posted:

Others may disagree but I am of the opinion that any sport not implementing USADA Olympic style testing, has a significant likelihood of most, if not all, of its top level competitors taking steroids.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Kekekela posted:

Paulo Miyao would probably disagree.

Paulo's argument for doping was that he didn't know he couldn't :v:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Neon Belly posted:

At least hes being honest about it in the context of testing within the sport.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

I didn't think doping was illegal because to my knowledge IBJJF only instituted testing really recently and only to black belt winners at worlds?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

I didn't think doping was illegal because to my knowledge IBJJF only instituted testing really recently and only to black belt winners at worlds?

Somehow Buchecha is clean though.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

willie_dee posted:

Right all jokes aside in this post compared to all my others, and not trying to wind up anyone, but if you are going down this route research the topic to the point where you know the information in the OP independently without having to refer to it, they are dangerous and can really mess you up if you do them wrong.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792970

this is a fascinating thread

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Don't do drugs kids. Just keep eating those goji berries and turning up to training.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Mewse, I forget, are you in SK?

mewse
May 2, 2006

No, MB. Not very involved with amateur boxing right now because I got burned out pretty bad with my board position. Watching the AIBA shake up right now, heard a rumour Pat Fiacco might end up as new pres of AIBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ah ok. Not even training?