Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not sure we'll ever be able to tell their work apart.

Those are both Synder shots (tm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is this whole "co-director credit" issue a stink raised by fans, or is it something brought up by Whedon himself?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The MSJ posted:

I just read a report saying Henry Cavill is going to be in Justice League, but it's a bit of a problem for him since he has to go back and forth between JL and Mission Impossible 6. Since he needs his beard for the latter, they will digitally remove it for JL.

The report also says Whedon is not filming any of the action scenes, just character stuff between them.

Wouldn't it probably be cheaper and less distracting to just give him a fake beard and moustache than digitally removing it frame by frame

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RBA Starblade posted:

IT HAS BEGUN

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Calaveron posted:

Wouldn't it probably be cheaper and less distracting to just give him a fake beard and moustache than digitally removing it frame by frame

Digitally put his beard from Man of Steel over his face in Justice League. :v:

quote:

IT HAS BEGUN

:v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RatHat posted:

The hacker guy who can go invisible and phase through things?

From reading about the character, sounds like they might be going for a dark mirror to Scott Lang angle: tech/science genius who builds a suit that can turn invisible and phase through solid matter while working for an evil megacorp. Works pretty well for a while as the megacorp showers him in money, booze, drugs, and women until they eventually go over the line and the guy (doesn't have a name) snaps, in combination with the phasing tech not being good for his brain chemistry. Dude burns down the megacorp in question between his suit and hacking skills, and becomes a general cyberpunk anarchist dude bringing down The Man.

No cigars for guessing he was an Iron Man villain.

What's odd is they cast a woman for the role. Guess Ghost is an obscure enough villain someone at Marvel decided to break up the sausage fest.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Unfortunately, it appears that Paramount was the one that put a no-shave clause in his contract.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is this whole "co-director credit" issue a stink raised by fans, or is it something brought up by Whedon himself?

I also read that Whedon is not getting a co-director credit. He's getting a writing one alongside Chris Terrio and a producing one with Snyder and the others.

edit:

RBA Starblade posted:

It makes sense that Snyder would make Batman blend into the shadows the same way Superman is always bathed in light.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know how you can put up an FPS counter when playing PC games? It would be nice if there was on option on the Justice League Blu-ray to display a tiny S or W in one of the corners to distinguish who shot what.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Unfortunately, it appears that Paramount was the one that put a no-shave clause in his contract.

You can likely thank George Lazenby for that. (I don't know if his refusal to dress like Bond and instead rock the mod/counterculture look -- shaggy hair and beard included -- during the promotion of OHMSS directly led to appearance riders in contracts, but that whole episode in Becoming Bond is pretty funny.)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

You know how you can put up an FPS counter when playing PC games? It would be nice if there was on option on the Justice League Blu-ray to display a tiny S or W in one of the corners to distinguish who shot what.

Just assume that any shot/line/scene/special effect you don't like is the fault of whichever director you don't like. Or, and this is a radical notion, I admit, just go in there and try to enjoy a movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Detective No. 27 posted:

lmao

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Detective No. 27 posted:

All you have to do is look at the cars.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

UmOk posted:

Justice league is going to cause CineD to reach Critical Goon. There is going to be a firestorm of poo poo posting the likes of which we've never seen.

I don't know dude. It'd have to pretty divisive to reach full on BvS levels of critical mass, or even MoS levels. The JL previews look better than i expected but then again the BvS previews looked really baller too and I actually liked MoS so Im not sure wtf to expect from this god damned movie beyond Aquaman being the breakout character of the whole thing and Batfleck being awesome.

And the visual parts of all the DC films are the least of their problems. IN fact, they all look great except for GL.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 25, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Green Lantern looks like absolute trash. I hate that movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gonna try and put a full stop to the Whedon vs Snyder shot composition for now with a cool and totally :3: fan moment from the Justice League panel.

During the Q&A, a kid asked where Superman is and Momoa dropped a truth bomb on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ltriuluIhM&t=1196s

Ezra thought it was the funniest poo poo lmao. During the signings afterward, Momoa saw that kid who asked the question again, and he reassured him that Superman is still alive :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/lionelofkrypton/status/889125606235017218

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know dude. It'd have to pretty divisive to reach full on BvS levels of critical mass, or even MoS levels. The JL previews look better than i expected but then again the BvS previews looked really baller too and I actually liked MoS so Im not sure wtf to expect from this god damned movie beyond Aquaman being the breakout character of the whole thing and Batfleck being awesome.

Those movies didn't the two of the most divisive directors working on the same movie. Like, this movie is probably going to be quipy and feature "Not my Batmans and Supermans."

Gonna be amazing if Superman snaps Steven-Wolfs neck while wisecracking.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I feel like Ezra's Flash is going to be the fan favorite/breakout character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

And the visual parts of all the DC films are the least of their problems. IN fact, they all look great except for GL.

What were the advance screening impressions like for Suicide Squad? I remember the ones for Man of Steel were just straight up this is the alpha and omega greatest superhero film that has ever been made level. And the excitement for Batman vs. Superman was similar.

I'm sort of in the same camp as you I liked Man of Steel quite a bit. I only saw the ultimate edition of BvS but and it's not amazing to me but has some cool stuff going on in it and looks incredible at times (other times it really is pretty drat dark to the point where it hurt, plus the prerequisite CGI boss fight at the end bleh), I didn't hate it at all.

I don't think I'm going to catch Justice League in theaters at all though if there's even a hint of there being like half an hour or whatever weirdly edited out of it like with BvS.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

teagone posted:

Gonna try and put a full stop to the Whedon vs Snyder shot composition for now with a cool and totally :3: fan moment from the Justice League panel.

During the Q&A, a kid asked where Superman is and Momoa dropped a truth bomb on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ltriuluIhM&t=1196s

Ezra thought it was the funniest poo poo lmao. During the signings afterward, Momoa saw that kid who asked the question again, and he reassured him that Superman is still alive :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/lionelofkrypton/status/889125606235017218

Not only does Erza lose his poo poo, but he was at the panel in anime cosplay.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Neo Rasa posted:

What were the advance screening impressions like for Suicide Squad? I remember the ones for Man of Steel were just straight up this is the alpha and omega greatest superhero film that has ever been made level. And the excitement for Batman vs. Superman was similar.

I'm sort of in the same camp as you I liked Man of Steel quite a bit. I only saw the ultimate edition of BvS but and it's not amazing to me but has some cool stuff going on in it and looks incredible at times (other times it really is pretty drat dark to the point where it hurt, plus the prerequisite CGI boss fight at the end bleh), I didn't hate it at all.

I don't think I'm going to catch Justice League in theaters at all though if there's even a hint of there being like half an hour or whatever weirdly edited out of it like with BvS.

It's important to note that the Ultimate edition was an extended cut rather than a director's cut (Maximizing additional run-time for marketing purposes). That's not to say you would love the theatrical edition, but the additional footage hurts the movie more than it helps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Not only does Erza lose his poo poo, but he was at the panel in anime cosplay.

Ezra's cosplay game has always been on point:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neo Rasa posted:

Honestly it sounds more like they're editing in interstitial exposition scenes so everything makes more sense.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Channing Tatums said at Comic Con that the success of movies like Logan and Deadpool has lead to his Gambit movie being reworked.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Channing Tatums said at Comic Con that the success of movies like Logan and Deadpool has lead to his Gambit movie being reworked.

Anticipating a Spider-Man: Homecoming-esque trailer that makes it look like Deadpool is the main character.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

No idea about advanced screening impressions of SS and I didn't know that about MoS and BvS.

I don't tend to pay much attention to them. There's just SO MUCH poo poo out there to watch, read, comment on and even catch up on I almost can't be bothered to look that far ahead usually. I still haven't seen Dr. Strange, WW or Spiderman yet and my Netflix queue has like 75 loving movies in it. Never even mind books I want to read and poo poo.

If you sent me to prison for a month with nothing but my Ruku and Netflix subscription, I'd probably still be behind on it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Speaking of Suicide Squad, are there any really good takes on it? Critical reviews, etc? I've drafted a long-form video essay on it and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Advanced screenings are literally always "HOLY poo poo IT WAS SO GOOD EVERYONE WAS SO GOOD IN IT."

Always.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Advanced screenings are literally always "HOLY poo poo IT WAS SO GOOD EVERYONE WAS SO GOOD IN IT."

Always.

AHEM.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/9240

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

Speaking of Suicide Squad, are there any really good takes on it? Critical reviews, etc? I've drafted a long-form video essay on it and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious.

Hardly any but I'd love to see your essay on it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

KVeezy3 posted:

It's important to note that the Ultimate edition was an extended cut rather than a director's cut (Maximizing additional run-time for marketing purposes). That's not to say you would love the theatrical edition, but the additional footage hurts the movie more than it helps.

This is not true. Snyder said that it contains stuff they cut for a pg-13 rating plus plots he had to cut for time because "executives get nervous over the two and a half hour mark"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is not true. Snyder said that it contains stuff they cut for a pg-13 rating plus plots he had to cut for time because "executives get nervous over the two and a half hour mark"

That sounds like a load of poo poo because holy hell have summer tentpole movies gotten longer and bloatier

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

I felt it "helped" the movie more in the sense that it made me go "Ohhh okay, I get what you were trying to go for a bit more than before." In my mind I can see a better edit of the ultimate edition than the theatrical release.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/yahya/status/889650948414386176

https://twitter.com/yahya/status/889654111959998465

:allears:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Calaveron posted:

That sounds like a load of poo poo because holy hell have summer tentpole movies gotten longer and bloatier

OK. Name six summer tent poles over the 2.5 hour mark.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

OK. Name six summer tent poles over the 2.5 hour mark.

I was gonna be a smartass and say Lords of the Rings and Hobbitses but those were winter movies so fine
But still I mean between ads, trailers, and waiting for credit stingers what about the entire MCU, and at least Civil War and Avengers 2 are a couple of minutes shy of 2.5, BvS is over by a minute, WW, X-Men Apocalypse and the new Apes are again shy by less than 10 minutes, if you wanna go further back movies you can probably make the case for a bunch of Harry Potter films, etc.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Transformers 3 and 4. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Pirates of the Caribbean 2, 3, and 5. Watchmen and Batman v Superman.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure all of the Pirates of the Caribbean films are like 2 1/2 hours.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I found an acceptable replacement for the mullet. And they would have to do less work than they have to. https://twitter.com/cameronMstewart/status/889614555332128769?s=09

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure all of the Pirates of the Caribbean films are like 2 1/2 hours.

The first is 2h 23m. The fourth is 2h 17m.

Avengers is 2h 23m. Age of Ultron is 2h 22m. Batman Begin is 2h 20m. Man of Steel is 2h 28m. There's a ton that are close to 2h 30m without quite going over.

Some of these movies earn their length, but a lot of them don't. For instance, upcoming comic book movie Atomic Blonde would be a lot better if it were 1h 30m instead of 1h 55m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Calaveron posted:

Long films are also edited down. Producers pushing their production teams to deliver the shortest product possible in order to maximize exhibition is the rule, not the exception.

• Locked thread