Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Doom Mathematic posted:

I honestly thought that was one of the major rules of this subforum, but now that I'm looking, it's not there.

It's an unwritten rule which is even more powerful :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Unkempt posted:

The New Guardians was pretty terrible in an 80s kind of way

Couldn't even decide what the dude afflicts you with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cassa posted:

Couldn't even decide what the dude afflicts you with.

The virus is HIV, AIDS is what it's called when HIV kills a certain amount of your white blood cells, so I don't think they did any research.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Marriage Night posted:

The Beyonders created him. He's a constant in all universes. He practically has the powers of a Beyonder, but doesn't have the awareness. It's his humanity that makes him unique among the characters in his league.

All the years I've been on this forum, and I've never really saw a fight over power levels. No "Is this Thor stronger than this Hulk?" Proud of you guys.

We're better than that. Comicvine is the go-to place for that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think we briefly had a "containment" thread for that kind of thing but people just posted sarcastically and it died quietly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the idea is that most of the people who post here can accept that comic book characters aren't real, so they are as strong or weak as a given author wants them to be. can superman beat goku? sure, if someone writes a story where superman beats goku.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skwirl posted:

The virus is HIV, AIDS is what it's called when HIV kills a certain amount of your white blood cells, so I don't think they did any research.
To cut New Guardians a break, this was in a period where the United States President was pretty silent on AIDS and when he did talk about AIDS it often had shades of "Well, we're not ENTIRELY sure that they aren't gonna just aids out and put their aids all over normal heteros..." Like, Reagan had a fight with the surgeon-general at the time about the latter wanting to talk about AIDS. At all.

What they included in the famous Snowflame issue was simple but factually correct, as I recall. Obviously the part about a genetic mutant goblin being the vector was ridiculous but that's funny books for ya.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

can superman beat goku? sure, if someone writes a story where superman beats goku.

I want to see that now, bit only so that DC is forced to accommodate Toriyama's legendary procrastination.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

I want to see that now, bit only so that DC is forced to accommodate Toriyama's legendary procrastination.

Toriyama hasn't had anything to do with Dragonball since the late 90s, grandpa.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lurdiak posted:

Toriyama hasn't had anything to do with Dragonball since the late 90s, grandpa.

Then DC will force him out of retirement! Justice League will probably give them enough money to afford the corporate strike team they always wanted.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Look, it's the Dark Knight Black Panther and Robin the Boy Wonder Spector the Moon Knight!

(Black Panther v3 #22, T'challa got killed by Killmonger (yes, again) and Moon Knight (currently not speaking to Khonshu) is helping to get him back to this side of dead. Well, except for Nightmare loving around with everything.)
(This is the volume with Everett K. Ross and good god the writing for him... :suicide:)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/metasynthie/status/888935718906728448

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Those shark-people do look remarkably like anti-Abortion protesters I've seen.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

As terrible as that page is, I have to respect the wordplay of 'Hemo Goblin'

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Ashcans posted:

As terrible as that page is, I have to respect the wordplay of 'Hemo Goblin'

Green Goblin, Hob Goblin, Demogoblin, Hemo Goblin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Strange Aeon posted:

Green Goblin, Hob Goblin, Demogoblin, Hemo Goblin

"Knob goblin" has always made me giggle like the immature child that I am. :shobon:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Valerian and Laureline, Birds of the Master

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

prefect posted:

"Knob goblin" has always made me giggle like the immature child that I am. :shobon:

Seeing people in their 20s-30s laughing their rear end off at things like this proved to me that "maturity with age" is a complete myth.

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xZZIKuGG0

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 26, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The New Guardians was hilariously bad. It was supposed to be the big result of the Millennium crossover event, where the Oans and Zamorraneans banged in order to create energy that would gather up 8 new heroes to create a new step in evolution (ie, crossbreed together it's inferred). Here's how things went for the 8:

Tom Kalamaku: Yes, Hal Jordan's Inuit sidekick. Has the power to "Bring out the best in people". Chooses not to join the team.

Floro, the Floronic Man, aka Jason Woodrue: Asexual plant man, unable to reproduce sexually.

RAM: A Japanese man who becomes a half-man, half-computer, because Japanese are good with computers I guess? Asexual cyborg, unable to have sex.

Extrano: A Peruvian, Gay version of Dr. Strange, with a name that is synonymous with "Queer". Would rather be the ladies' "Auntie" than their romantic partner. Has HIV before the team begins.

Betty Clawman: An Aborigine whose power set pulls her immediately into the Dreamtime, becoming a sort of spirit guide for the team. Unable to reproduce due to being a phantom.

Harbinger: Former assistant to The Monitor. Weird, dumb, alien lady. Not genetically compatible with humans.

Jet: The previously seen green-haired lady. Has electromagnetic powers. Gets HIV/AIDS from their second battle. Sacrifices herself during the Invasion! event out of stubborn pride and self-pity.

Gloss: A Chinese woman that gets Earth powers from Ley Lines (aka "Dragon Lines" to her. Because you know, China=dragons). Literally the only one out of eight with any chance of breeding. Beat the crap out of Guy Gardner once.

Bang up job, guys!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

Extrano: A Peruvian, Gay version of Dr. Strange, with a name that is synonymous with "Queer". Would rather be the ladies' "Auntie" than their romantic partner. Has HIV before the team begins.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Choco1980 posted:

Gloss: A Chinese woman that gets Earth powers from Ley Lines (aka "Dragon Lines" to her. Because you know, China=dragons).

You know, I've heard the term 'Dragon Lines' before, and kind of assumed they were a similar concept that arose independently in China, maybe had something to do with Feng Shui, but a quick google just finds Ley Lines, so I guess... I forgot what I was trying to say.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Choco1980 posted:

Gloss: A Chinese woman that gets Earth powers from Ley Lines (aka "Dragon Lines" to her. Because you know, China=dragons).

Elfface posted:

You know, I've heard the term 'Dragon Lines' before, and kind of assumed they were a similar concept that arose independently in China, maybe had something to do with Feng Shui, but a quick google just finds Ley Lines, so I guess... I forgot what I was trying to say.

Dragon lines (or dragon currents/paths) are a real thing from the tradition of Feng Shui. The idea behind Ley lines was from an early 20th century quack who heard about Feng Shui and was a bit too obsessed with old British maps. So it's not really any more problematic than the rest of the team.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Hell I wish i was Extrano!

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
He showed up in Midnighter and Apollo recently.

He doesn't seem to be much a fan of the codename either.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh cool he turned into an Archer character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nobby posted:

He showed up in Midnighter and Apollo recently.

He doesn't seem to be much a fan of the codename either.

Booooooring.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lurdiak posted:

Booooooring.

So are they trying to turn him into the Most Interesting Man in the World or what?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's Archer

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think the idea is that most of the people who post here can accept that comic book characters aren't real, so they are as strong or weak as a given author wants them to be. can superman beat goku? sure, if someone writes a story where superman beats goku.

Superman would obviously beat Goku.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Endless Mike posted:

That's Archer

Checks out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Scrolling down to reveal those roller skates just made my day.

"Oh okay it's just him dressed as a steroty-loving pink pom pom roller skates"

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Never let it be said that Sterling Archer doesn't take his work seriously.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

Superman would obviously beat Goku.

Superman would beat Goku at first, then Goku would learn an anti-Superman technique and beat Superman, and then they'd team up to battle the true villain, and Clark Kent would get people all over the world to lend him their power for a Spirit Bomb. Obviously.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myqkUxCHI4A

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Superman is weak against magic, and I would categorize the Spirit bomb as a magic attack.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Section Z posted:

Scrolling down to reveal those roller skates just made my day.

"Oh okay it's just him dressed as a steroty-loving pink pom pom roller skates"

He was on a mission trying to seduce a gay guy to get close to him.

He immediately gets criticized for coming off as desperate.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I believe you will find that Superman is not weak to magic, he is simply not strong against magic
:goonsay:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Also spirit bomb only works against bad guys.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

thatbastardken posted:

Also spirit bomb only works against bad guys.

Injustice Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm sorry and i accept my well-deserved probation