Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mango sentinel posted:

I really like Reaper Aged + Polished bone since they are a much more bleached look than GW Ushabti/Screaming. I get frustrated occasionally at how wet/loose they are in comparison to Citadel thiccness but Polished Bone especially gives that clean white bone.

Yeah I'm using Vallejo colors. I think if I used a different base (I had Army Painter Soft Tone) it might have worked better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah I'm using Vallejo colors. I think if I used a different base (I had Army Painter Soft Tone) it might have worked better.

Did you do just recess shading or an all over coat?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

Dreadnoughts have lost access to twin heavy flamers, twin heavy bolters and twin autocannon. Looks like most characters have lost bike access too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqjcNd9mOY
GW said something like you can use the datasheets from the index going forward if you like. So the Imperial Marine or bike characters, for example, are still available, you just have to refer to the index instead of the codex. It sucks that we're losing weapons options (there were some rumors about the Razorback losing some as well), but it's obvious GW wants to keep them limited to what people can build out of their standard kits. Presumably, those players with autocannon dreadnoughts or las/plas razorbacks can still use the sheets out of the index.

Honestly though? This is dumb. If they don't police this, things will get conflicted and some players might lose track of what's current and what's not.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Why did they basically get rid of like every single vehicle equipment option

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Why did they basically get rid of like every single vehicle equipment option

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Space-Marines-Primaris-Redemptor-Dreadnought

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Has something changed about GW's customer service? I've heard about how responsive and understanding they are, but when I contacted them with pictures of 2 poxwalkers from the new starter that were miscast, with pictures, it has taken from 7/13 until today to get them to agree to send replacements. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth, considering I've had miscasts from Privateer, Hawk, and Corvus Belli get replaced faster with fewer problems.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That sounds like a long time but it's only 6 business days.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mango sentinel posted:

Did you do just recess shading or an all over coat?

All over, followed by a drybrush.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I would also imagine they have a much higher workload at the moment than would be typical, given the 8th edition launch.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah i placed an order recently where i ordered the wrong thing. I tried to call them but their call center was straight up closed till 1 pm to get caught up on back tickets. Theyre wicked busy lately.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LingcodKilla posted:

Named characters are a curse to this game. Bring back the old days when you had to ask for permission to play them and armies needed 50%+ troops to not be laughed at.

Agree named characters are bad.

Like what if its two blood angels fighting against each other? One of them is the Dante imposter??

That works for Alpha Legion but its nonsense for anybody else. Named characters are weird and special and OP and having multiple in everybody's little list makes no sense, most shouldn't even show up outside of like 10,000 point armies or something absolutely re-goddamn-diculous like that.

Should just be a bunch of pick-yer-own warlords and commanders and sergeants.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I feel like they must be a much smaller shop than I usually imagine, at least in terms of personnel.

E: It's both cool and good to be able to have your HQ Commander Dante dumpster the poo poo out of your opponents army. For the most part it seems like there's currently a pretty good balance between names and non-named characters, with a few primarch sized exceptions.

I woke up this morning to 40 unread posts and still can't understand what you people were arguing about.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 25, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ya'll can take Eldrad from cold dead loving hands.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

My favorite bit of named character bullshit is Aun'Va, the leader of an entire loving race, being able to show up to lead a tiny band of fire warriors in some super small conflict

Or even better, two armies with Aun'Va facing each other

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

goose willis posted:

My favorite bit of named character bullshit is Aun'Va, the leader of an entire loving race, being able to show up to lead a tiny band of fire warriors in some super small conflict

Or even better, two armies with Aun'Va facing each other

Actually this is the worst example because it is completely plausible. Aun'Va died in the Warzone: Domacles books. Tau High Command decided that they would keep that on the down low and made a bunch of Holo'Va copies. That's why he never leaves the chair anymore. This was a complete net good because Aun'va was really inspirational but also depicted as incompetent, petty and childish in those books. Holo'Va lets the Tau have their cake and eat it too.

It's unclear how much people have noticed.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Safety Factor posted:

GW said something like you can use the datasheets from the index going forward if you like. So the Imperial Marine or bike characters, for example, are still available, you just have to refer to the index instead of the codex. It sucks that we're losing weapons options (there were some rumors about the Razorback losing some as well), but it's obvious GW wants to keep them limited to what people can build out of their standard kits. Presumably, those players with autocannon dreadnoughts or las/plas razorbacks can still use the sheets out of the index.

Honestly though? This is dumb. If they don't police this, things will get conflicted and some players might lose track of what's current and what's not.

If the goal is to not give options for stuff that isn't in the box then razorbacks may lose the asscannons. Except they won't if everyone can still use the index version anyway.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Does anybody have some waterslide transfers they're willing to part with for Blood Angels, particularly shoulder and vehicle "winged blood drops"?

Drop a PM.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Does anybody have some waterslide transfers they're willing to part with for Blood Angels, particularly shoulder and vehicle "winged blood drops"?

Drop a PM.

If you're willing to wait a bit there may be something even better waiting for you...

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Blood-Angels-Legion-Transfer-Sheet-2017

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

JoshTheStampede posted:

If the goal is to not give options for stuff that isn't in the box then razorbacks may lose the asscannons. Except they won't if everyone can still use the index version anyway.

The Deathwatch got this treatment first and they still have those. I guess they still sell that one Land Raider sprue to upgrade Razorbacks.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

adamantium|wang posted:

Dreadnoughts have lost access to twin heavy flamers, twin heavy bolters and twin autocannon. Looks like most characters have lost bike access too.

Don't worry. If they're in the Index, you can use the Index entry for the model, with the current rules from the codex:

Codex FAQ posted:

There are a few options that are missing in the codex that appear in the index: why is that? Does that mean I can’t use these models in my army anymore?
While the indexes are designed to cover a long history of miniatures, the codexes are designed to give you rules for the current Warhammer 40,000 range. There are a few options in the indexes for some Characters and vehicles that are no longer represented in the Citadel range – certain Dreadnought weapons that don’t come in the box, or some characters on bikes, for example.
Don’t worry though, you can still use all of these in your games if you have these older models. In these instances, use the datasheet from the index, and the most recent points published for that model and its weapons (currently, also in the index).
They still gain all the army wide-bonuses for things like Chapter Tactics and can use Space Marines Stratagems
and the like, so such venerable heroes still fit right in with the rest of your army.

So you can still field any unit that was included in the Index, with any wargear it was allowed to take in the index, and it'll benefit from the special rules in the codex.

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 25, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That is so dumb it hurts.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

professor_curly posted:

Actually this is the worst example because it is completely plausible. Aun'Va died in the Warzone: Domacles books. Tau High Command decided that they would keep that on the down low and made a bunch of Holo'Va copies. That's why he never leaves the chair anymore. This was a complete net good because Aun'va was really inspirational but also depicted as incompetent, petty and childish in those books. Holo'Va lets the Tau have their cake and eat it too.

It's unclear how much people have noticed.

What is much funnier is that he is now 100 years older but is still around and people haven't noticed despite Tau officially not having life-extending tech beyond good medicine. Same for all the other named Tau. Some ethereals live for longer times but they were already pushing their twilight years in the last edition.

The fact that Tau tech hasn't changed much in a century is also kind of baffling. That's kind of their entire thing. I mean yes, we are all waiting for a codex, but considering how they are set up you would expect tons of changes and additions when that arrives.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Which is why it is weird. Before if you wanted a rifleman dread or a bike apothecary you converted one, bought Fw or third party. Now it's exactly the same, except new players don't even know it's an option. They removed nothing and just spread poo poo across more books.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Don't worry. If they're in the Index, you can use the Index entry for the model, with the current rules from the codex:

So you can still field any unit that was included in the Index, with any wargear it was allowed to take in the index, and it'll benefit from the special rules in the codex.

That's really dumb. I can understand not wanting people to be confused by pieces that aren't represented, but now they'll be doubly confused and people will call out models that are totally legal as not existing.

Or GW could put the pieces back in rotation, but I guess that's too much to ask.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
They should've just left the options in the codex, so I don't have to use the index to take a rifleman dread or a librarian on a bike or whatever. Dumb. But at least they didn't invalidate them as options completely. Basically, if it's at least in the index, it's safe to use for 8th ...even if it doesn't make it to the codex and/or it has wargear changes that prevent certain loadouts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

evilmiera posted:

What is much funnier is that he is now 100 years older but is still around and people haven't noticed despite Tau officially not having life-extending tech beyond good medicine. Same for all the other named Tau. Some ethereals live for longer times but they were already pushing their twilight years in the last edition.

The fact that Tau tech hasn't changed much in a century is also kind of baffling. That's kind of their entire thing. I mean yes, we are all waiting for a codex, but considering how they are set up you would expect tons of changes and additions when that arrives.

So a perfectly legit reason to release a whole new model range for Tau.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilmiera posted:

What are you talking about, the Tau are on like iPhone 237. I heard they even fixed it so you don't die in your 30s from constant low yield radiation anymore.
Need kroot who ate the new marines. Big kroot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LordAba posted:

What are you talking about, the Tau are on like iPhone 237. I heard they even fixed it so you don't die in your 30s from constant low yield radiation anymore.
Need kroot who ate the new marines. Big kroot.

Plastic kroot hounds and bigly kroots would be cool.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

evilmiera posted:

No one has noticed that Creed and Yarrick are still alive either.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Come on guys. Obviously a space wizard did it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

40k uses a floating timeline like DC comics or the Simpson's.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

RagnarokAngel posted:

40k uses a floating timeline like DC comics or the Simpson's.

It used to, but we're now firmly in the post-primaris era.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

chutche2 posted:

It used to, but we're now firmly in the post-primaris era.

Naw floating timelines dont preclude major events or changes in the status quo.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

So apparently ironclads are 40 points cheaper, hunters 30 points cheaper, and sternguard bolters are 1 point cheaper. Pretty nice. Calgar and some other characters like the emperor's champion also took big point drops.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

chutche2 posted:

So apparently ironclads are 40 points cheaper, hunters 30 points cheaper, and sternguard bolters are 1 point cheaper. Pretty nice. Calgar and some other characters like the emperor's champion also took big point drops.

Well that's good. Space Marines weren't winning enough tournaments and needed a boost.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Master Twig posted:

Well that's good. Space Marines weren't winning enough tournaments and needed a boost.

Fixing internal balance is a good thing. Ironclads were over 200 points, they cost more than redemptors do.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Master Twig posted:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Every time I see some spud gibbering about the latest Venerable Primaris DeathKiller MasterFucker and how they're gonna win so many tournaments with just a single dumbass 500-point dude standing in the standard Forge World character pose while the only other units on the table are some flying deodorant sticks I wanna give them an atomic wedgie and go NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRD

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Pendent posted:

If you're willing to wait a bit there may be something even better waiting for you...

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Blood-Angels-Legion-Transfer-Sheet-2017

I kinda like the simpler iconography of the GW side... and I'm halfway through. All my jumpies are done, just tacticals and vehicles.

THat said, those are really nice lookin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

I kinda like the simpler iconography of the GW side... and I'm halfway through. All my jumpies are done, just tacticals and vehicles.

THat said, those are really nice lookin.

I can very rarely actually finish a model, so I only have a small handful with transfers applied. I'll be using these for most of my new marines.

I'm also considering picking up a Moritat to use as a Lieutenant since you can do a dual pistol setup and those models are pretty sweet looking.