Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
bought my last one on autohaus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Buy oem. Because I'm cheap when it comes to unimportant parts I've been through 3 fake ones they go cloudy after 6 months lol.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
2000 323, would over tightening the lug studs set off a abs/trac/brake code?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
no

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

2000 323, would over tightening the lug studs set off a abs/trac/brake code?

R e l u c t o r

R
I
N
G

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
does that mean bearing?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

HandlingByJebus posted:

the Cayman is really, really special though.

That being said, maybe you should be looking somewhere completely different for your performance driving needs? If you really enjoyed the Miata, maybe consider a Lotus 7 (and clones). They're one of the purest road-legal distillations of driving experience that money can buy, and for the non-insane ones, it's not a lot of money. Super light, great handling, very low / central driving position, and extremely rewarding to drive even at ~legal speeds on the road.

Your not the first person who has suggested this but sadly what ever I pick also has to be my daily driver, I'm quite keen on PASM over the Z4M's extreme harshness because other than that the Z4M is a lovely place to be interior wise.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Guinness posted:

When my original roundel started paint flaking I just ordered from some dealer through Amazon for like $20. Was cheaper than ECS, BavAuto, etc.

Pretty sure it's OEM, but even if not I can't tell the difference and it's held up perfectly well now for over 5 years.

local dealers usually have all sorts of bits and bobs hanging around their warehouse that sell for way cheaper than amazon or ecs, just call and ask the part #

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So turned her on this morning and no lights onm Ill take it but it is a mystery.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Bape Culture posted:

Buy oem. Because I'm cheap when it comes to unimportant parts I've been through 3 fake ones they go cloudy after 6 months lol.

Yeah, nearly every BMW I looked at when car shopping had ebay ones and they're poo poo. Mine are original and faded as hell but I'm leaving them like that in the hope that some prick doesn't think to vandalise it. Because I'm a poor fucker and there's more important things to spend my money on. But if I run out of things to fix (not likely LOL), I'll probably buy OEM.

Which one of you people owns this:

Found it in the bimmerforums from a post dated 2016, and the guy just disappeared after saying how many problems the car had.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 27, 2017

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/bmw-csi/6235792819.html

Just drove 7 hours (total) to check this thing out. Goddamn, was it a basketcase.

I knew the thing was bad news as soon as I walked up and saw that the driver's side door lock was covered in tape. Seller said, "oh yeah, it fell in". I then took a look into the interior. Manual Recaros, driver's side looks like it's been knifed and is a bit rattly and shaky on its moorings. Passenger seat is in nearly perfect shape. I then notice that wires are exploding out of the dashboard in three (3) different places. Under the dashboard on the driver's side (where you'd expect on a sketchy project car), from the empty stereo hole, and from the ENTIRE loving TOP VENT SYSTEM.

Yes, that's right, the entire top level of vents (to the right of the instrument binnacle) are gone. Just a hedge of wires poking out. I ask the seller about this interesting interior modification, and he said that the guy he bought it from had apparently installed some kind of fuckoff homebrew audio setup in that space.

Did I mention that the dashboard was covered in fake Alcantara? It was. It had the texture of rhinoceros skin, and you may see it in the second picture.

The exterior wasn't in much better shape. Air dam scraped and chipped all to hell. Kidney grills loose and pitted from more fuckery by the PO - a blackout job (of course). The car sat on E39 M5 "tuning fork" wheels (or knockoffs) that seemed covered in brake dust. More blackout shenanigans? I didn't ask. The engine bay was pretty unsightly as well. Looked like it had never been cleaned. The cooling fan looked like it was covered in soot, like someone had stashed it inside a chimney at some point in its life.

Surprisingly, the only rust I was able to find was near the trunk lid.

To top it all off, it took him 20 minutes to get the thing started. I *should* have walked at this point, but I had driven for over three hours, and I felt sorry for the kid (reminded me of myself at that age). So I suggested we break for ice water and try again in a little while.

It drove pretty well. Pulled slightly to the right. ABS light on. Shifter throws felt like they were a foot apart. Shockingly, the A/C worked, and the giant gaping hole at the top of the dash worked wonders for airflow! :D

Now, I don't know what it was. I blame the smell of old BMW leather (and they all smell the same; wonderful), clouding my judgment. I inquire if he is firm on the price.

He is (of course). I tell him that I'll look into getting a PPI done.

Did I mention that the odometer was stopped at 168k? That the coolant temp gauge only started working halfway through the test drive? That the cruise control and left rear window were both non-functional?

Goddamn, was it a basketcase.

Trans Ferdinand fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 27, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Trans Ferdinand posted:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/bmw-csi/6235792819.html

Just drove 7 hours (total) to check this thing out. Goddamn, was it a basketcase.
Sorry, nothing I can do but LOL at this. $9k, you should be getting an e24 that's in pretty decent shape. Ad has no decent pictures of the interior (did you get him to send you more pictures via email/text?), no engine bay shots, pictures show body trim missing, poor bumper fitment, random picture of oil & suspension box. Ad talks about doing cocaine. They're really cool cars, but man!

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Sorry, nothing I can do but LOL at this. $9k, you should be getting an e24 that's in pretty decent shape. Ad has no decent pictures of the interior (did you get him to send you more pictures via email/text?), no engine bay shots, pictures show body trim missing, poor bumper fitment, random picture of oil & suspension box. Ad talks about doing cocaine. They're really cool cars, but man!

Normally I would agree with you, but I think the E24 market has gone up. I watched an 87 635csi sell for $14k on BaT yesterday. Not an 88-89 or a Euro.

You also have to consider that a rust-free Euro body is basically unobtanium. I'm convinced there was more rust to be found, as I only made a cursory inspection...but if the body is mostly rust-free and the Euro motor is in good shape, I could see a Euro 635 selling for 9k with problems. (Not that I think this car is worth 9k.)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Does anyone in this thread have an M2? If so, can you give a capsule review of it?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

big money big clit posted:

Does anyone in this thread have an M2? If so, can you give a capsule review of it?
Hell of a username you have there.

Forums poster FortifiedTumor picked one up via European delivery back on page 840 or so. They are cool as hell and you should buy one (but not for more than MSRP). If I were in the market I wouldn't know if I'd get the manual or DCT. Between being in love with that transmission on my E90 and thinking about twin turbo rev matching makes me think I'd do the double clutch again.

Fake edit; I think the manual in those cars has that cheater rev match option.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hell of a username you have there.

Forums poster FortifiedTumor picked one up via European delivery back on page 840 or so. They are cool as hell and you should buy one (but not for more than MSRP). If I were in the market I wouldn't know if I'd get the manual or DCT. Between being in love with that transmission on my E90 and thinking about twin turbo rev matching makes me think I'd do the double clutch again.

Fake edit; I think the manual in those cars has that cheater rev match option.

I've found a couple of dealers that will sell for MSRP and should be able to get me an allocation in a couple of months. Definitely not paying a markup for one. Thanks for the tip, Ill check out that page.

Also, the name was a random mod rename because I posted in a rename thread.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

$9k, you should be getting an e24 that's in pretty decent shape.
So I decided to take your advice, and went out and bought an E24 in pretty decent shape for 9k :D

1987 635CSi, manual, sport seats, Bilstein/H&R, BBS Style 5s. 135k miles. Clutch, brake bomb, and front suspension bushings done in the last year.

It should be here in a week. I can't wait!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Thoughts on RTABs for the e46 M3? Powerflex seems to be a popular choice but realistically I'm probably not gonna take this car to the track. Looking for something long lasting and comfortable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
OEM with shims

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

OEM with shims

This. Don't go stiffer on the RTABs. They are flexible for a reason.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Explain the shims. Are they for toe or camber?

Trans Ferdinand posted:

So I decided to take your advice, and went out and bought an E24 in pretty decent shape for 9k :D

1987 635CSi, manual, sport seats, Bilstein/H&R, BBS Style 5s. 135k miles. Clutch, brake bomb, and front suspension bushings done in the last year.

635? I passed on a e34 535 but I would do a lot for a e28 635. Post pics.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 2, 2017

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Fo3 posted:

635? I passed on a e34 535 but I would do a lot for a e28 635. Post pics.

I'm confused. This is an E24. It's a 6-series, not a 5-series.

Edit: It is based on the E28 chassis.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Google rtab shims, they are installed to limit flex of the bushing

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I'm confused. This is an E24. It's a 6-series, not a 5-series.

Edit: It is based on the E28 chassis.

Nevermind, I knew what you got and I was just rambling as it's 1.30am and I'm loving tired. When I was shopping I looked for a 2 dr, but a 635 here is like 30k for a good one, 20k for an average one, so I even thought about a 535 instead for a while etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

Google rtab shims, they are installed to limit flex of the bushing

And don't stack them with poly :v:
My zhp had delrin RTABs when I bought it, I replaced them with OEM + limiters and the car felt better and was much more readable.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Congrats! Post pix when it's delivered!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Popete posted:

Thoughts on RTABs for the e46 M3? Powerflex seems to be a popular choice but realistically I'm probably not gonna take this car to the track. Looking for something long lasting and comfortable.

Another knock on poly RTABs; if you're using them in a car that's daily driven, after about a year or so they creak like an absolute motherfucker.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I quite like the bimmerworld spherical rtab.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willie_dee posted:

Your not the first person who has suggested this but sadly what ever I pick also has to be my daily driver, I'm quite keen on PASM over the Z4M's extreme harshness because other than that the Z4M is a lovely place to be interior wise.

Fwiw, I "daily drive" my Cayman.

This means I end up taking Uber to places that have sketchy parking. I'm thinking of getting a car I don't care as much about.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
why not both? I own a car that doesn't get parked on the street due to fear of someone smashing their jagged license plate holder into it and I also own a car with 1980's bumpers that cannot lose any collision with any vehicle yet invented and I I don't give a single gently caress about it, I still uber to anywhere with sketchy parking because if I move my shitheap then where am i going to park it when I drunk drive home?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Drive a fast car but ruin the bodywork with aero and composites so you don't care about dings and scratches.
Fast expensive car without the hassle. Ya might be able to key my lovely paint but yacan't key 500hp or my dreams, bitch!

-bape culture

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I drive an e28 535is that's basically set up the same way, I'd definitely trade it for a 6 series though

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

rscott posted:

I drive an e28 535is that's basically set up the same way, I'd definitely trade it for a 6 series though

I would kill for the lip spoiler from the M6/M5/535is, but I would have to drill holes in the trunklid to mount it :(

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I would kill for the lip spoiler from the M6/M5/535is, but I would have to drill holes in the trunklid to mount it :(

it's worth it IMO, the decklid spoiler totally completes the lines of the car in my opinion, same for E30s too

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My daily driver winter beater turned 30 the other day :rip:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Z4 e85: A small trim piece has fallen inside the body panels around the right tail light. Is there a way to get at the detached piece without removing any other panels? I've tried grabbing the detached piece with a couple of needle-nose pliers, but it's not cooperating. Besides, it seems to clip into place, and I can't imagine there's a way to secure it from the outside.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I'm thinking about buying a 740iL as a family road trip car. Am I going to be rolling the dice for a break down every time I take it out? Will it obliterate my wallet? I do already own one vehicle with plastic timing chain tensioners, but this guy has continually dropped the price all summer. Also, green.

The one in question:
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-bmw-740il/6249777938.html

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Anecdotal, but i paid a grand for a beat to poo poo 540i with similar mileage, and beat on it for another 28,000kms without any serious issues before getting rid of it. The A/c didn't work and the sunroof rattled, and the drivers window didn't roll down, but almost everything else worked.

Personally i wouldn't be scared of that car or that price if everything works and there are no major leaks.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Lincoln posted:

Z4 e85: A small trim piece has fallen inside the body panels around the right tail light. Is there a way to get at the detached piece without removing any other panels? I've tried grabbing the detached piece with a couple of needle-nose pliers, but it's not cooperating. Besides, it seems to clip into place, and I can't imagine there's a way to secure it from the outside.

Pull the taillight housing. Requires removing... a lot... of interior trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

My daily driver winter beater turned 30 the other day :rip:

As if you got 350 miles on 3/4 of a tank of fuel :laugh: