Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

It was cool to hate 90s 2000s afternoon comedy stars for a while. So Jim Belushi, Kevin James, Ray Romano etc.

Jim Belushi's show was way, way worse than everybody loves Raymond or the king of queens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Jim Belushi's show was way, way worse than everybody loves Raymond or the king of queens

I think catching a few episodes of According to Jim was one of the things that set me on a several year stretch of deciding TV was a bunch of idiot bullshit for dumbass pinks and starting my "Yeah I don't even own a TV" phase.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
This is what I mainly associate with Jim Belushi.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
I'm confused. Did Dougie's boss want him dead?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Slammy posted:

I'm confused. Did Dougie's boss want him dead?

Don't Troll

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Not going to lie, I love K-9.

Granted, I haven't seen it since I was a child, but I used to watch it all the time.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ginette Reno posted:

I kinda like how it's Bobby who has turned out fine and Shelly who is still the gently caress up. That's probably the opposite of what you'd expect from the original.

major briggs' long-and-florid-but-well-meaning life advice and calm demeanour appears to have had a positive impact in the long run. hurray for good parenting, i guess. i like bobby this season, too. i think dana ashbrook did a good job at depicting him before and now, with the character being very different in many ways but having enough continuity to feel like a realistic extrapolation.

i'm rewatching s1. audrey horne is the most adorable character. the 'bad girl' image doesn't hold up very long once you chip beneath the surface to any degree. pity what happened to her (coma, probable coma-rape, and the really hosed up thing of billy zane)

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Primarily this. He's been banking on his last name for thirty years despite having 5% of his brother's talent

This may or may not be true, but he has approximately 200% of his brother's lifespan so far and that's the far more important statistic.

Honestly, with his misogyny and stupid drug issues, John Belushi probably would have fit in perfectly as a character in Twin Peaks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Continuing this Belushi train:

quote:

During the Twin Peaks panel at San Diego Comic-Con, a fan asked the cast members of the revival how much they ad-lib on set. [...] To answer the question, star Kyle MacLachlan decided to share an anecdote about a legendary actor who tried to improvise on the Twin Peaks set.

“I can tell a brief story about an actor who’s not here named Jim Belushi,” he said. “Jim decided he was going to ad-lib a line in this heightened moment of euphoria, which he did. And we heard, ‘Cut!’ And David has this megaphone, and he said Mr. Belushi, ‘Do I have to report you to the principal’s office?’ And Jim said, ‘No, sir. Got it.’ I hope that helps answer your question.”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Awesome. I have to imagine him directing in character as Cole at all times now

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

thoughts on ep. 11:

-Albert and Gordon know more about the Twin Peaks paranormal poo poo than I thought, judging by their nonchalance at the woodsmen, etc.
-I saw Penderecki's Threnody in the credits but I don't remember when it was played in the episode. Given the piece's prominence in the ep. 8 nuke scene (and of course the piece's real world connection to the atomic bomb), its use this episode is definitely an important connection.
-Regarding the competent women discussion: the 911 operator at the sheriff's station. Log Lady kind of. Lynch doesn't really write powerful women very much. Lots of victimized ones though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Data Graham posted:

Awesome. I have to imagine him directing in character as Cole at all times now

I'm trying to imagine Gordon Cole with a megaphone, being EVEN LOUDER, and it's cracking me up.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Jim Belushi can be a very decent character actor, he was pretty good in Show Me a Hero a couple of years back.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Breadallelogram posted:

-I saw Penderecki's Threnody in the credits but I don't remember when it was played in the episode. Given the piece's prominence in the ep. 8 nuke scene (and of course the piece's real world connection to the atomic bomb), its use this episode is definitely an important connection.

I think it was one of the Becky scenes with her freaking out, don't remember which.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I thought it was maybe a super slowed down version during the scenes with the portal in the sky. And speaking of that, wasn't that right out of Donnie Darko?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

General Dog posted:

Jim Belushi can be a very decent character actor, he was pretty good in Show Me a Hero a couple of years back.

I forgot he was in that. That was a really good show too if anybody didn't see it (I think a lot of people didn't see it :smith:)

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qvflhr-63U&t=98s

The best way to start a panel.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I liked the way that, after his little meetup with Shelly, Red was practically skipping down the street like a giddy little boy.

People themselves aren't ever pure evil in Lynch's world. He seemed genuinely excited about getting to hook up with Shelly later.

He seemed a totally different person. Is it possible he's only evil wizard drug dealer when he's being "controlled" by something?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I assume that the FBI crew are familiar with the woodsmen and poo poo due to secret investigations of the incident after the bomb test that we saw. I bet that's what kicked off the blue rose cases.

Bobby is amazing. Everything about him is just so heartwarming now.

Tammy was stealth champ of this episode. You could see those heels sinking into the dirt in a bunch of the shots with her in the background and she never loses her footing. That poo poo is hard enough to walk in when you're on normal floors (which is probably why she walks all float btw), but on dirt I'd break a loving ankle.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i have no strong opinion on tammy other than having a straight-man to albert and cole isn't terrible. also she's very hot.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

TheMaestroso posted:

This is what I mainly associate with Jim Belushi.

Holy poo poo that was jim belushi???

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think I might be the only person who finds Amanda Seyfried disturbing to look at :stare:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I know the town of Twin Peaks has always had a sleazy underbelly, but I like how explicit it is in the new series that the town is going to complete poo poo while the top law enforcement is pursing some mystical bullshit.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

quadpus posted:

Hawk's hide map was so cool. black fire + corn = garmonbozia, right?

is there a good reconstruction of the map out there?

Best one i've seen. Lets over analyze it and get angry when our cleaver detective work blows up in our faces.

Its probably my weird eyes but the bottom right corner, under the black corn, it looks like coop in the black suit with arms stretched out and reminded me when he was flying through space time to the glass box.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

General Dog posted:

He was always a better dramatic actor than he was 'comedian'. His biggest early roles were all dramatic. It's clear at some point someone told him he was a Belushi so he should do comedy and he listened to them.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

DrVenkman posted:

He was always a better dramatic actor than he was 'comedian'. His biggest early roles were all dramatic. It's clear at some point someone told him he was a Belushi so he should do comedy and he listened to them.

Whoever told him that should be shot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I forgot he was in that. That was a really good show too if anybody didn't see it (I think a lot of people didn't see it :smith:)

I watched it! It was awesome. I forgot Belushi was in it, though. But I kinda remember him being good now you mention it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
new shoes

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Amazing episode indeed, one of the best. drat good TV

Im enjoying Bobby acting too, but I got to say: he didint aged very well. He looks like he is 70 or something. And sick. He looks older than Hawk. Its glaring with him sitting besides Shelley, who looks almost the same

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked that episode a lot, it summed up what I like about the new series. I particularly liked the diner scene, the unfolding situation outside was a great way to illustrate how Bobby was feeling.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Throughout the years I have mostly heard negative things about Belushi. Granted, I've never met him but the stories all seem to have similar threads to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh8U7eZg_Zk

However, people change and I hope he isn't a total prick in real life. But I don't think that my opinion will change based on his appearance in my favorite show ever.

On another note, I thought it was fantastic that Hawk said that the fire emblem/energy depends heavily on intent.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think Jim Belushi is very good in Twin Peaks (they both are, the guy who plays the brother is fantastic too) . He is a good actor

And I coulndt care less if he is a jerk IRL or not (unless he is a mass murderer or serial killer or something, which he is probably not)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think Jim Belushi is very good in Twin Peaks (they both are, the guy who plays the brother is fantastic too) . He is a good actor

And I coulndt care less if he is a jerk IRL or not (unless he is a mass murderer or serial killer or something, which he is probably not)

Agree to disagree, friend. I think it speaks more to Lynch being a fantastic director - to be able to coax such a great performance out of him by threatening to send him to the principal's office and such.

Also, I was posting that in response to the thinking of "People just hate him because it was hip to hate sitcom stars" when in fact he might actually BE hateable.

Might be.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
e: whoops

ricro fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 25, 2017

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Peak performance Jim Belushi

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zmej posted:

Peak performance Jim Belushi

Please make this an emote. please someone.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
when you nutt but she still succ

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im enjoying Bobby acting too, but I got to say: he didint aged very well. He looks like he is 70 or something. And sick. He looks older than Hawk. Its glaring with him sitting besides Shelley, who looks almost the same

I know at least two women who think that Bobby just looks the same except "old man hot" so who knows.

Instead of Doug Funny with an hour glass face I think it's actually a bear claw with a black widow marking. Someone this season will be killed by a donut. Book it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Naomi shared some texts between her and David on her instagram.

They are so adorable.

edit: Also I love the idea that when Lynch meditates he leaves his phone on for some reason

zelah posted:

I know at least two women who think that Bobby just looks the same except "old man hot" so who knows

They are correct, he does.