Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guinness posted:

Honestly though, if I could buy a fully automated washer -> dryer -> folder combo that just meant that I dumped poo poo in the washer and pulled out a folded stack of clean dry clothes I would pay several thousand dollars for it.

Assuming it's reliable and fully automated, I don't care if it takes 12 hours.

Easily. If it can handle hand wash and ironing too, you could sell a ton even at 20k a pop to the high end markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

baquerd posted:

Easily. If it can handle hand wash and ironing too, you could sell a ton even at 20k a pop to the high end markets.

I'd do a home invasion and only steal their laundry bot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

COME TO PAPA

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's weird how all the claims that people are hanging out on disability instead of getting iobs by choice turn out to be total bullshit

No no no, you've missed the key distinction here that actually proves the point. Exiting from the labor force and reporting ones self disabled doesn't automatically come with any benefits. Applications are stable to down but terminations are consistently (except one year) below approved applications, hence the number of people in current status actually has grown.

The burden of people on benefits for proven disability has increased. Further increased are those self-reporting as disabled WITHOUT government benefits. In total, the chart you see from FRED is correct.

You can also see the mirror image of this with labor force participation rate, which has dwindled dramatically.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
We've looked serially into laundry-bot and for whatever reason the tech just isn't there yet. That (and robo chef?) are going to be in EVERY home of means, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We've looked serially into laundry-bot and for whatever reason the tech just isn't there yet.

There are a few problems, most of them vision and planning. We'll get to prototype in 5 years I think (though the economic climate may make "Jetsons laundry gadget" hard to sell at a profit), but getting them to fit in homes will probably remain hard. It could be three years but I don't think Bosch or that tier are working the problem, so some startup will have to get close, get eaten, and get integrated.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We've looked serially into laundry-bot and for whatever reason the tech just isn't there yet. That (and robo chef?) are going to be in EVERY home of means, though.

Who's we? The tech is all there, but I'd expect a six figure price tag minimum today. Downsized industrial robots, optical recognition of clothes and tags, optical reading of tags, safe fallbacks, high res optical for ironing, clothing stress sensors to avoid stretching or tears, etc.

It might just be more economical to dry clean everything and hire minimum wage people to run the clothes through.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
SOTA of deep learning is there, but not any other method, really

deep learning folks either don't know robotics and go work on webshit or don't wanna do that thing

pool of really competent deep learning folks is not large

forex, i don't wanna do it you can't make mee nyaaaa

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

$20k would buy a lot of laundry service though? Like a dollar a pound for the service and ten bucks for the task rabbit to run it down to the laundromat and back?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

PCjr sidecar posted:

$20k would buy a lot of laundry service though? Like a dollar a pound for the service and ten bucks for the task rabbit to run it down to the laundromat and back?

if you can get the machine for $20k, there's a learning curve so in 10 years it'll be like $10k and in 20 it'll be like $5k or $500 or whatever
won't be a learning curve for provision of unskilled labor ever, unfortunately

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PCjr sidecar posted:

It wouldn't be as convenient or as much of a status symbol. Pick-up/delivery wash and fold would be great though, wish it were in my neighbourhood.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Subjunctive posted:

It wouldn't be as convenient or as much of a status symbol.
Yeah, half the point would be that you just dump it in the machine and go on with your day.

Hell, just going to a communal apartment laundry vs in-unit laundry is a huge difference in convenience. People hate extra steps in their chores.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I was literally just thinking about this full-stack laundry problem two days ago. BWM thread please don't doxx my thoughts.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I listened to a Planet Money podcast talking about a startup in Atlanta that was working on automating sewing. The said the big problem with using automation to work with cloth is that it has a tendency to twist or wrinkle which messes up the machine, unlike a sheet of metal or plastic that you can hold down and it stays where you put it. That's why clothes are expensive, because instead of machines they are mostly made by hand. They solved that by having really fast, high resolution cameras that would count the threads as it went through the machine to keep it on track. They said it sewed a pair of jeans in about 90 seconds. It still couldn't do zippers or buttons but they are working on that. I imagine a clothes folding robot would have similar problems.

Anyway, it was an entertaining episode and worth a listen:
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/08/03/488611449/episode-715-the-sewing-robot

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
sewing is a much happier control problem than having arbitrary clothes and folding em

some people did do folding clothes, but by taking like 3 hours

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
imagine the supercomputer necessary to fold a fitted sheet. :thunk:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

imagine the supercomputer necessary to fold a fitted sheet. :thunk:

That'll be the last straw that turns the machines against us.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm pretty sure a machine can ball them coarsely in the back of the closet like everyone else and definitely not me

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There have been a few local companies going into liquidation as they don't seem cut out for a competitive market. Now I've found a company going broke that is really ususual.

quote:

customers owed almost $200,000 from a failed debt collection agency will not see a cent because of the company's "extremely poor" book keeping, a court has heard.

Taranaki firm Total Debt Solutions went into liquidation in December 2015.

The company - which was owned by majority shareholder and sole director Tim Levchenko-Scott, of Palmerston North, and Colin and Margaret Comber, of New Plymouth - owed customers $191,075 but held only $25,156 in a bank trust account as money received from debtors.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/95043906/high-court-allows-liquidator-to-recover-fees-from-failed-debt-collectors-trust-account

How a debt collection agency manages to go broke I have no idea.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

curufinor posted:

sewing is a much happier control problem than having arbitrary clothes and folding em

some people did do folding clothes, but by taking like 3 hours

I agree it's harder to fold, but if the folding robot screws up you get a slightly misfolded shirt. If the sewing robot screws up it sews to sleeves together. The folder has a lot more room for error.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

quote:

My parents are hard working people but they sure don't have the money that a fancy government job does.

I initially pulled out this quote as proof that the racist dad credit card post was fake, but then I realized this could really go either way in our post-parody world.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Devian666 posted:

There have been a few local companies going into liquidation as they don't seem cut out for a competitive market. Now I've found a company going broke that is really ususual.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/95043906/high-court-allows-liquidator-to-recover-fees-from-failed-debt-collectors-trust-account

Too many owners pulling money they "deserve" regardless of revenues.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

The Rural Towns article reminds me of a time when I was protesting and some person in some mediocre sedan rolled up next to me specifically just to tell me to get a job. It was a Saturday. I told her I had a job and it was better than her job. She looked at me dumbfounded and repeated "get a job."

In that WP story, the Blue Ford Focus lady, an obvious master of capitalism, yelling at dumb unsympathetic idiot. Truly worth everyone's energy.

People who get mad at signs are between 50% - 200% worse than actual sign holders. I can't imagine making a stupid social media post about a panhandler. I guess people just really want attention, outrage, and self-satisfaction over garbage and Jaguar guy hit the lottery.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 25, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Devian666 posted:

My understanding is that they buy debt, usually for some low amount, then try to collect. Sometimes the debt can be collected and sometimes it can't. If the people running the business were idiots which it sounds like they were, then they overpaid for debt that people weren't paying on. Or maybe they were schmucks and didn't call debtors/their family/their friends at work/at home/at church/etc. like all the successful debt collection companies.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blinkman987 posted:

some person in some mediocre sedan rolled up next to me specifically just to tell me to get a job. It was a Saturday. I told her I had a job and it was better than her job. She looked at me dumbfounded and repeated "get a job."

This is totally how you win dude. Do you have a zine I can subscribe to?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Motronic posted:

This is totally how you win dude. Do you have a zine I can subscribe to?

Not right now. I was outsourcing the production of them and a bunch of freeloaders quit on me so they could go on disability.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
the catch is that sign holders are already really terrible people so it doesn't really matter if they get run over or whatever by even worse people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

The Rural Towns article reminds me of a time when I was protesting and some person in some mediocre sedan rolled up next to me specifically just to tell me to get a job. It was a Saturday. I told her I had a job and it was better than her job. She looked at me dumbfounded and repeated "get a job."

Get a job then dammit!!!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

A Liberal Can't Have A Real Job Because She Doesn't Believe In The Free Market.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Devian666 posted:

Can't squeeze blood from a stone, especially a stone that ignores the climbing debt and/or is dependent on credit, and is of the opinion that they'll just declare bankruptcy* when they get to a certain level, and repeat the cycle.

* = Based on a true story.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Blinkman987 posted:

I initially pulled out this quote as proof that the racist dad credit card post was fake, but then I realized this could really go either way in our post-parody world.

quote:

My mom showed me the receipts (they were going to repay her before all this happened) and they are all, 100%, for things like horse feed (we have horses), diapers and food for my brothers kids, and repairs to my dad's truck (which is 12 years old). If they were really thieves (which doesnt make sense but anyway) they would have gone out to eat, bought a new house, gotten Jewlery and furs. As it is neither of my parents had gotten new cloths in about five years, maybe more.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
horse truck

no wedding, no timeshare

dunno how that progression works

i think minimal elements would be horse truck wedding?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Subjunctive posted:

There are a few problems, most of them vision and planning. We'll get to prototype in 5 years I think (though the economic climate may make "Jetsons laundry gadget" hard to sell at a profit), but getting them to fit in homes will probably remain hard. It could be three years but I don't think Bosch or that tier are working the problem, so some startup will have to get close, get eaten, and get integrated.

folding is easy. getting a lump of clothes from the dryer into a state where they are foldable is really hard

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
you should really see someone about that schizophrenia, buddy

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Subjunctive posted:

It wouldn't be as convenient or as much of a status symbol. Pick-up/delivery wash and fold would be great though, wish it were in my neighbourhood.

would it be unethical for you to listen to a pitch for my pick up/delivery laundry as a service startup that targets the greater toronto area?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

the talent deficit posted:

would it be unethical for you to listen to a pitch for my pick up/delivery laundry as a service startup that targets the greater toronto area?

you should sell coins like wash.io did and also almost get killed by visa as a money launderer because they sold currency

lol money laundering

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wasn't it because people were buying thousands of dollars on rewards cards, paying the card off, rinse and repeat and just doing the same thing over and over.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
For a second I thought I saw they had budgeted diapers for horses

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wasn't it because people were buying thousands of dollars on rewards cards, paying the card off, rinse and repeat and just doing the same thing over and over.

You used to be able to order currency with credit cards from the federal reserve to do this as well. They stopped that a long time ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Rise in personal loans dangerous, Bank of England official says

quote:

Outstanding car loans, credit card balance transfers and personal loans have increased by 10% over the past year, the Bank's financial stability director Alex Brazier said.
In contrast household incomes have risen by just 1.5%, he said.

quote:

They were told to set aside £11.4bn in the next 18 months in case future economic shocks meant some borrowers could not keep up their repayments.
Mr Brazier said by September the Bank will have assessed whether the rapid growth in consumer lending "has created any small gap in the line".