Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryoga posted:

Does anyone have a link to a clip of that event battle in FMW where Remilia is trying to save berserk Flandre. I can't seem to find it anymore and it remains one of the coolest animations in the series. If only SRW could do more stuff like that...
Not a clip of just that, but it's part of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYfF7Ij_ivI&t=778s

I played 4 some more last night and while what new music there is still isn't thrilling me, the fires of hokkai arrangement is awesome, especially the intro...though I feel sometimes that the composers front-load a lot of the awesomeness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNiorzGUqu8

edit: there is one thing that has annoyed me for the entire series though: stages where the stage music is higher priority than anything else and thus runs continuously. It could be the most awesome music in the world and I still won't want to listen to it in a loop for an hour straight.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
V seems like a good introductory SRW also because it's comparatively easy and simple and the plot is straightforward and earnest. Z remains the best SRW probably ever but both the mechanics and plot are more complicated, especially since it was already setting up a goddamn metaplot.

Same with MD, actually. OG's plot is enormous (and appears even more so than it is with its increasingly padded cast) and its systems are kind of crufty.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

calling Invaders Newtypes or Kamile and Setsuna women aside.

but Kamile is a GIRLS name :smug:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ashsaber posted:

V's translation wasn't perfect, but it was mostly things your brain pretty much auto-corrects for anyways, calling Invaders Newtypes or Kamile and Setsuna women aside.

Also, after playing V I don't think I could really ever like the OG battleships, if I ever had. Compare Hagane and Hiryu, both slow, inacurate, relatively weak EN chugging wastes to basically any battleship from V and they come out so far behind its amazing. The Ardyguns need to be added soon so there's at least a battleship not balanced around having more Gespensts than Supers.

OGverse battleships would be helped a lot by Size Categories doing the damage modifying thing. Not much is ever going to stand up to the Yamato though because it had to combine the two qualities of "series protagonist unit" and "has to be better than the Nadesico" in its debut so until maybe Harlock or something shows up it's gonna be the Best Boat by leaps and bounds.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

EthanSteele posted:

OGverse battleships would be helped a lot by Size Categories doing the damage modifying thing. Not much is ever going to stand up to the Yamato though because it had to combine the two qualities of "series protagonist unit" and "has to be better than the Nadesico" in its debut so until maybe Harlock or something shows up it's gonna be the Best Boat by leaps and bounds.

Doesn't have to stand up to the Nadesico or Yamato, just put them on par with something like the Ra Cailum or Nahel Argama, or anything pretty much other than the Garencieres or maybe the Ptolomey. as it is they just don't feel like they can last that long and are massive targets. IIRC they have like 200 EN to start, they take 15 EN to use their barriers, and like 30 to fire their beam cannons. That EN goes away very quickly when enemies target them.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not a clip of just that, but it's part of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYfF7Ij_ivI&t=778s

I played 4 some more last night and while what new music there is still isn't thrilling me, the fires of hokkai arrangement is awesome, especially the intro...though I feel sometimes that the composers front-load a lot of the awesomeness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNiorzGUqu8

edit: there is one thing that has annoyed me for the entire series though: stages where the stage music is higher priority than anything else and thus runs continuously. It could be the most awesome music in the world and I still won't want to listen to it in a loop for an hour straight.

Thanks for this

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
https://twitter.com/srw_xomg/status/889460322863423488

They're gonna announce Robot Girls Z for X-O in the stream tomorrow.

Guess their Twitter jumped the gun. Unless there's going to be an even bigger surprise.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The OG battleships were already mediocre to somewhat bad in OG1 due to their massive EN guzzling problems(jesus christ 20 EN every time you get hit, come on e-field) and have never received any updates or upgrades despite the power level of the series following a power creep track roughly equivalent to a level 1 D&D campaign going to the epic levels.

Whenever we get the next OG game I'm hoping the Hagane and Hiryu are either destroyed and replaced or put in for massive overhauls so we can have the Hagane II and the Tenryu or something and have them not be garbage.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Well if they continue the same pace, we should be getting the Valstork in the next game, but then that just turns into another robot.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It'll be strong and people can go in it for resupply which should hopefully fit the mechanical niche. Luckily because of the bug in W the Valstork has never had size modifiers!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Valguard is basically a smaller Macross, I say it still counts as a battleship.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

ey beat this game, wow that last battle.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm more curious about how the characters get introduced. They can't have been Trailers because even if the Valstork doesn't go into space, having a big old battleship with its own mobile squad that's been wandering the planet the whole time seems like the sort of thing they can't just paper over Z3-FMP style. (Not that I think they wouldn't do it.)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
They are absolutely just going to paper over it.

Maybe at most have the Ardyguns out around Mars/asteroid belt/Jupiter to explain why they haven't been helping.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The subject of trailers was considered taboo to speak in public.

More seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they're simply transported from another Earth.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So I tried to buy some PSN cards over the weekend and my bank flagged it as shady or whatever. I talked to them and fixed that. Payment went through, but now play asia cancelled my order. This game is hard to buy.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

The subject of trailers was considered taboo to speak in public.

More seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they're simply transported from another Earth.

They have used the multiple Earths thing too many times in recent games. The fact that a group of what are basically mercenaries exists shouldn't be that hard to explain.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The Ardyguns as part of some early pioneers with great tech from trading with a Good Zvorg/other alien people and are just coming back to Earth after a long time away or even just another group of "we're aliens but oh look we're identical to humans in every single way" that do mercenary stuff with the various space empires seems reasonable enough.

Raul and Fiona's time shenanigans can get involved with the W plot too! Oh no it all went wrong and now there's a strangely familiar fella in a Gespenst showing up because there's always a strangely familiar fella in a Gespenst.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Caphi posted:

I'm more curious about how the characters get introduced. They can't have been Trailers because even if the Valstork doesn't go into space, having a big old battleship with its own mobile squad that's been wandering the planet the whole time seems like the sort of thing they can't just paper over Z3-FMP style. (Not that I think they wouldn't do it.)

There's no real need to jump through hoops about it.

The Valstork has a single mobile unit as its compliment, and the ship itself is hardly terribly impressive in its original form from W before all of Bless's weirdo tech started revealing itself. It's hardly a credible military force in the context of global civil war or massive alien invasion, so it's pretty easy to paper over it as "we never got involved and kept to ourselves while doing our Trailer things, and we had some basic self defense functionality in the form of the Valhawk and the Valstork's weapons to stop us from being loving killed by renegade DC or whatever".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Orbiting colonies exist in the OG verse, right? It doesn't seem at all unreasonable for space truckers to be a thing.

The escalation of space violence during the series could even be the impetus for Bless to start arming/upgrading the various Vals, which would have previously been unarmed space trucks unable to meaningfully contribute to a conflict.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Schwarzwald posted:

Orbiting colonies exist in the OG verse, right? It doesn't seem at all unreasonable for space truckers to be a thing.

The escalation of space violence during the series could even be the impetus for Bless to start arming/upgrading the various Vals, which would have previously been unarmed space trucks unable to meaningfully contribute to a conflict.

They do, and indeed aren't even all around Earth. Lune grew up out near Jupiter, but aside from her background mentioning them I don't think OG has used the idea of colonies past the asteroid belt for anything. You could easily have them coming in from the rest of the solar system if you didn't want to have the Trailers from the Earth/Luna sphere for whatever reason.

Edit: Especially if the Database is still out near Pluto, having the Ardyguns as outer-system space truckers/mercs doesn't sound like a horrible plan...

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 25, 2017

KoB
May 1, 2009
OG has colonies because Gundam, and then usually forgets.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Elzam exists because of a colony thing, right? And then after that no important colony things happen until it turns out that the Big Statue doesn't consider colonies as "Earth" stuff. I think?

edit: RATSEL, not ELZAM. Elzam is a criminal!

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 25, 2017

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Clearly the Valstork and Valhawk were something designed by Bian Zoldark, given his otehr creations, the Valsion and the Valsione. Out by Jupiter. Then stolen by or given to the Ardyguns.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

Elzam exists because of a colony thing, right? And then after that no important colony things happen until it turns out that the Big Statue doesn't consider colonies as "Earth" stuff. I think?

Yeah, Big Statue wants Earth sealed off from even its own satellites. Colony stuff hasn't been relevant since OG1, and after OG1, the one key figure of colonial politics, Brian Midcrid, got posted as president of the Earth Federation (for a while), so he became a de-facto Earth politics figure instead. As far as the rest of the games are concerned, the colonies exist, and that's about it.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Clearly the Valstork and Valhawk were something designed by Bian Zoldark, given his otehr creations, the Valsion and the Valsione. Out by Jupiter. Then stolen by or given to the Ardyguns.

Can't be like that exactly, as it is a major plot point that the Valstork was made by Bless in the past and sent to his future self (via his father/grandfather/some parent).

Hmm... maybe Bless' parent could've been friends with Biant at the EOTI and, thus, they went all SUPER ROBOT SCIENTISTS with it? Then, when the DC War started, Bian passed the thing along to Bless and had him take it away for safekeeping?

And I'm pretty sure the only reason we had colonies in the first place was so Elzam could truly be a Char. That purpose fulfilled, they fell by the wayside.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hunter Noventa posted:

It turns out that in the OG universe, Blessfield was enamored with Zoldark's ideals, but as a space-redneck "legendary trucker" working the fly-over planets of the Solar System, he didn't really understand them beyond "build giant war machines and give them Val- names."

Kazuma, Mihiro and family are happy to use their father's weapons in defense of the people of Earth, but they get touchy if people ask about him.

The other OG characters speculate that this is because the family hides some mysterious secret, but in reality they're all just embarrassed. None of them want it to get out that he's a kook who believed aliens from the distant past spoke to him and regularly wears tinfoil pyramid hats "to improve boson communication reception."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Please do not be mean to Blessfield Ardygun, Literally History's Greatest Dad.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Brunom1 posted:

And I'm pretty sure the only reason we had colonies in the first place was so Elzam could truly be a Char. That purpose fulfilled, they fell by the wayside.

Also the Giganscudo was sealed away because a different group of terrorists used it to attack a different colony, thus killing a different Aggressor's family.

I do kinda wish they had enough OG battleships that we could choose which ones to deploy. Gimme a fake Mother Vanguard at least.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe the next OG game will be Colony-focused.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe the next OG game will be Colony-focused.
If the next OG game doesn't finally cover Alpha 3 I'm gonna hurt something.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Caphi posted:

Please do not be mean to Blessfield Ardygun, Literally History's Greatest Dad.

The man who forgot all his daughters in favor of endless clones of his son and some random other dude? Worst dad in the entire series.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

MarsDragon posted:

The man who forgot all his daughters in favor of endless clones of his son and some random other dude? Worst dad in the entire series.

He made two clones of his son, one of himself and one of his wife. Yeah, also the random dude, but still.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wait, was Critic supposed to be Horace?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It basically has to at this point. They've already introduced all the protagonists and set up all their character beats. Hell, Touma's a Baran Doban away from halfway through his arc at this point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Alpha 3 has a bit of a scale issue where it's a galactic-level conflict culminating in a giant battle against the living personification of entropy, so that's sort of hard to top. It feels like a natural conclusion so that's probably why they've been putting it off for so long.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Kanos posted:

Alpha 3 has a bit of a scale issue where it's a galactic-level conflict culminating in a giant battle against the living personification of entropy, so that's sort of hard to top. It feels like a natural conclusion so that's probably why they've been putting it off for so long.

Honestly, I'd be ok with them reeling the scale of things back a bit. OG1 is probably my favorite SRW because the conflict in that game is a lot more realistic (well, you know, mecha anime realistic) in scale. I mean sure, the later games do lots of cool stuff and the more fantastic units are great, but I really liked how in OG1 the 'special' units (like Cybuster, Alt/Weissritter, pretty much all the supers) really felt like superweapons.

I mean in OG1, when you combined SRX you basically knew poo poo had gotten real, while in MD, I can't remember if I even really used it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Silvergun1000 posted:

Honestly, I'd be ok with them reeling the scale of things back a bit. OG1 is probably my favorite SRW because the conflict in that game is a lot more realistic (well, you know, mecha anime realistic) in scale. I mean sure, the later games do lots of cool stuff and the more fantastic units are great, but I really liked how in OG1 the 'special' units (like Cybuster, Alt/Weissritter, pretty much all the supers) really felt like superweapons.

I mean in OG1, when you combined SRX you basically knew poo poo had gotten real, while in MD, I can't remember if I even really used it.

The only other moment that I feel matches up is also from OG1, and it's when Ring Mao joins in a second Gungrust. Which, like you said, really speaks to how having a lower power ceiling makes you really appreciate your better units.

Finding out afterwards that Mao was originally the Huckebein was really weird.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It basically has to at this point. They've already introduced all the protagonists and set up all their character beats. Hell, Touma's a Baran Doban away from halfway through his arc at this point.

you think the series will continue after they finish the Alpha 3 plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm waiting for Another Time Diver and ORE NO VAIKURAN with bated breath.

• Locked thread