Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

Well, that is one lucky Gargoyle.

For the Battlemaster I think the best option for the next two turns is move to 0613, and the following turn to 0817. This keeps cover between my mech and the Stone Rhino/Epona combo to the east unless they start moving.

Unfortunately that means a turn without being able to bring any firepower to bear and the following turn taking long range potshots down range.

Agreed, on all counts; that +1 partial cover really messed with our hit percentages.

Battlemaster and 'Sag' should head south now. 'Hata' should probably join us, although that means condemning the Mauler to death.

If the 'Hata' stays and slugs it out up north, that should stabilize this front; it'll be a drawn out affair, at the end of which none of those 'mechs would be fit to move South to support either sides. So really, do we want to move 3 down south and sacrifice the Mauler, or leave two up north and watch them all claw themselves to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Viva Miriya posted:

PTN is the hanse sword a ballistic "knife" that shoots smaller swords made of depleted uranium?

asking for a friend

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
I pictured it more as a giant, multi-ton ballistic knife.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, lotta missed shots on that Gargoyle by GoonDavion Guards this turn, though the leg crit will definitely slow it down a lot. Missed opportunity there, I think. Real unfortunate too.

Southern star seems to be converging hard on Isoroku and Lance down south, gotta manage to take some of them off the table or the next couple of turns will be real dicey for them. Good shot by the Jagermech on that Epona though. Once that turret pops, it don't stop.

Speaking of which, PTN it looks like you mislabeled the Jagermech's target as the Ha Otoko in the shooting phase breakdown, unless that mech suddenly sprouted a turret that later exploded and took out the Epona in the process.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

GhostStalker posted:

. . . GoonDavion Guards . . .

Nah man, its gotta have a combined name, like The 1st Sword of Davion-Guard-Light or something.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CourValant posted:

Nah man, its gotta have a combined name, like The 1st Sword of Davion-Guard-Light or something.

I assumed it was 1st Sword of Davion because its a scenario about Hanse Davion carrying around a sword.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Huh. Wow.

You guys keep it up. Down to 7 vs 10, but another couple rounds like that you'll be in the lead. Great damage to the Gargoyle by 1st Sword, and amazing hit by the Jagermech.

1st Sword is doing a great job at outfighting the northern Opfor, but the effectiveness had led to halved progress for three mechs the last two rounds and one mech being cut off. Mauler would need a couple rounds to catch up even if the Gargoyle is killed, so might want to catch up while playing rear guard while the others go ahead, likely a sacrifice play, but there isn't any time for the rest to wait.

Just my two cents, no offense meant.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 24, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

kingcom posted:

I assumed it was 1st Sword of Davion because its a scenario about Hanse Davion carrying around a sword.

I like it, 1st Sword of Davion it is.

RA Rx posted:

1st Sword is doing a great job at outfighting the northern Opfor, but the effectiveness had led to halved progress for three mechs the last two rounds and one mech being cut off. Mauler would need a couple rounds to catch up even if the Gargoyle is killed, so might want to catch up while playing rear guard while the others go ahead, likely a sacrifice play, but there isn't any time for the rest to wait.

Just my two cents, no offense meant.

None taken; we've bottled the OPFOR up North enough where we can disengage without much danger. The only question now is, does the 'Hata' stay up North, or does it come with the Battlemaster and 'Sag', meaning the Mauler will get (guaranteed) scrapped.

Up to the 'Hata' and Mauler to decide, don't think its right for us to just tell Kickass Harpsicord he's taking one for the team if he doesn't want to be left up North by himself.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

What's the movement speed of the Gargoyle (previously 3-5-6m-6j) now after both upper and lower leg actuators hit on one leg? It wasn't updated.

Edit: Also, just checked, but the hit rate on the Gargoyle was actually ever so slightly above normal relative to the high THs. The average was right below the 5 hits, at 4.94, although the weapons were slightly on the weaker side, but with a couple of good crits.
It was a jumpy bastard. At least it has to make pilot checks now, which is probably why it walked for a sacrificial play.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 24, 2017

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Mukaikubo posted:

This is true. What is also true is that if we all start hugging the left side of the map and we do not mission kill the summoner this turn, we are bottled up and in an even worse position than if we have at least some room to maneuver despite being surrounded.

It is a tough decision- but we all three have to pick whether we are going northwest and splitting attention between the summoner and mad cat, or east-southeast and mobbing the mad cat and be on the same page. I think my tentative vote is for going all out on the mad cat, but I can be talked out of it.

I don't think we can keep up the LOS dance for long, and if we try it will be tight. Summoner and Timber Wolf are in our face, the Epona could join, and the glass spider and HO could leave cover to a very few spots.
So I think we should all mob the mad cat. My chances against the summoner are not good (move mod zero, in his short range), if we go for him and he lives we can forget about cover, and we should eliminate one of them now.
As for specifics:
Do we use TacOps targeting rule for active probe? Because if so, then 0735 is my best option, numbers-wise.
If not, it depends on LOS - can HO see 0635, and can the glass spider see 0535? Walking to 0635 gives me better to-hit, but it's not worth it if it compromised LOS to the Naginata.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Gun Jam posted:

I don't think we can keep up the LOS dance for long, and if we try it will be tight. Summoner and Timber Wolf are in our face, the Epona could join, and the glass spider and HO could leave cover to a very few spots.
So I think we should all mob the mad cat. My chances against the summoner are not good (move mod zero, in his short range), if we go for him and he lives we can forget about cover, and we should eliminate one of them now.
As for specifics:
Do we use TacOps targeting rule for active probe? Because if so, then 0735 is my best option, numbers-wise.
If not, it depends on LOS - can HO see 0635, and can the glass spider see 0535? Walking to 0635 gives me better to-hit, but it's not worth it if it compromised LOS to the Naginata.

My hastily scribbled LOS lines seem to show that both of those hexes are visible to those mechs. Keep in mind what PTN said about targeting priorities, though. If, say, you walk to 0635, our assault walks to 0634, and I go to 0835, I'll be seen by the mad cat alone, you will be seen by the HO and the mad cat, and the assault will be seen by the HO and the mad cat. ONE of us will be guaranteed to go unhit, because the clanners will not willingly focus fire when they do not have to- whoever is unscathed this turn can try to be the bait next turn.

Thinking about it, I may also back up to 0233 and hit the Mad Cat; since it may be shooting me for ~vengeance~ I would be significantly less wounded, while due to the new minimum range rules my expected damage is not much lower at 10 hexes than it is at 4. Thoughts?

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 24, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

The only question now is, does the 'Hata' stay up North, or does it come with the Battlemaster and 'Sag', meaning the Mauler will get (guaranteed) scrapped.

The Sagittaire will get murdered on the open ground the Hatamoto-Chi favors.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
If I need to take one for the team, I'll do it, but I want to be sure to sell my mech as dearly as possible, and I'm pretty useless at close range. The question is, do I try to engage the Stone Rhino, or do I try to turn around and back up to keep the Balius and Gargoyle off our collective back? Either way, it's going to be a couple of turns before I'm in position to do either effectively.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Sagittaire will get murdered on the open ground the Hatamoto-Chi favors.

Interesting. Maybe the 'Hata' should be the Vanguard then, soak up some damage and get some use out of those PPCs.

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

. . . I want to be sure to sell my mech as dearly as possible, and I'm pretty useless at close range. The question is, do I try to engage the Stone Rhino, or do I try to turn around and back up to keep the Balius and Gargoyle off our collective back? Either way, it's going to be a couple of turns before I'm in position to do either effectively.

I'd say let's completely ignore the Stone Rhino for now, especially with the movement error in our favor last turn.

Best way I can think of to 'sell' yourself as dearly as possible is to take down the Balius first, then duel the Gargoyle; the longer we tie up the Northern OPFOR the better.

@Battlemaster and 'Hata': What are your thoughts regarding PTN's comments about the 'Sag' on open ground? Should I head South anyways, or should I stay up North for another turn or two and take down the Balius, so the Mauler can duel the Gargoyle at even odds?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

If I need to take one for the team, I'll do it, but I want to be sure to sell my mech as dearly as possible, and I'm pretty useless at close range. The question is, do I try to engage the Stone Rhino, or do I try to turn around and back up to keep the Balius and Gargoyle off our collective back? Either way, it's going to be a couple of turns before I'm in position to do either effectively.

Nah. You should survive. Goon lance needs your range. CourValent can cover anyone that tries to gently caress with you as you move south. Run homie and hug that level 2 so you don't get gauss'd.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I didn't mean to suggest you should fight to the death, just that the others should run.

That said that Gargoyle's Streak-SRM makes it extremely dangerous to show your back to him.

Maybe 0905, facing south? It allows a quick run to the south the next turn and all target-heat combos this turn + a sweet kick at the Gargoyle's weak legs (45.8% chance of kicking off the left leg, and another 45.8% to crit the right leg, in which case it has to either jump away on damaged actuators, or likely risk a 4+ mission kill the following round). The Eponas can't reach with their pulse lasers this turn, although they may advance, and the Stone Rhino gets better shots.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 24, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

On the Rhino: It's scary but it has to die sometime. My best suggestion is over the next three turns see about hitting it with the entire lance on some decent numbers. Open up a torso and you have the potential to set off one of the gauss rifles. That's half of the mechs firepower gone. I know PTN has house rules going on so I think that's also a kill.

Don't stop going south to kill it though.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Northern Mechs will need 7-10 turns at best (7 for the Sag) to make it the Isoroku's command.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 25, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
@Northern Flank: I see these as our options.

1) Battlemaster, 'Hata', 'Sag', all head south right now; Mauler, you're on your own.

2) Battlemaster and 'Hata' head south, 'Sag' stays behind to assist the Mauler in disengaging. In which case, I would recommend Mauler running to 0706 and turning so it can fire at the Balius. 'Sag' walks to 0707 and does the same. We'll both be protected from the 'Garg' by the H2 wall, my read is that it moved to 1004.

Thoughts?

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

CourValant posted:

Interesting. Maybe the 'Hata' should be the Vanguard then, soak up some damage and get some use out of those PPCs.

I'd say let's completely ignore the Stone Rhino for now, especially with the movement error in our favor last turn.

Best way I can think of to 'sell' yourself as dearly as possible is to take down the Balius first, then duel the Gargoyle; the longer we tie up the Northern OPFOR the better.

@Battlemaster and 'Hata': What are your thoughts regarding PTN's comments about the 'Sag' on open ground? Should I head South anyways, or should I stay up North for another turn or two and take down the Balius, so the Mauler can duel the Gargoyle at even odds?

I intend to move around the building to start on the way south this turn. I was waiting to hear back from PTN about a bit of confusion with my heat. Since he's told me that I will be a 4/6 for this turn, I can get to 0410 and not be stuck in 0510 giving a Gargoyle with 10 damage lasers shots at my juicy 9 armor rear side torsos.

As for the Sagittaire, there's plenty of cover on the way south. I would suggest that you should be moving south too, just not out in the open. Something like jumping to 0812 facing 0913 this turn, running to 1214 next turn, then running to 1218. That keeps you behind buildings and out of the line of fire. The Gargoyle is much less dangerous with those leg actuator hits, they kill it's movement speed on the ground and force piloting rolls any time it tries to jump. The mauler should be fine on it's own in the short term if they use the terrain well.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

CourValant posted:

@Northern Flank: I see these as our options.

1) Battlemaster, 'Hata', 'Sag', all head south right now; Mauler, you're on your own.

2) Battlemaster and 'Hata' head south, 'Sag' stays behind to assist the Mauler in disengaging. In which case, I would recommend Mauler running to 0706 and turning so it can fire at the Balius. 'Sag' walks to 0707 and does the same. We'll both be protected from the 'Garg' by the H2 wall, my read is that it moved to 1004.

Thoughts?

I think 2 is the best option, it doesn't leave anyone solo and gives us two working pairs that can meet up again/coordinate as we go south.

Sagittarius jump to 0709, Mauler to 0709/disengage?

Battlemaster goes to 0613 this turn, Hatamoto-Chi to 0412 0513(I think he has the range?) nm saw the heat status.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 24, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

You can leave the Sag behind to cover you since its jump jets give it a bit more flexibility getting around those corners but the mauler has to punch it now or just accept its never going to get south and leave it to die. Make a choice as to if the Mauler is left behind and everyone else makes a run for it or you leave the sag to cover it and the mauler just runs for it, focus almost entirely on getting around those next two bends.

The objective is getting to the bottom, so make sure as much as possible makes its there to link up.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

What kingcom said. Only the sag has the maneuverability to hang out and cover without being murdered.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

I think 2 is the best option, it doesn't leave anyone solo and gives us two working pairs that can meet up again/coordinate as we go south.

Agreed.

Jew it to it! posted:

I want to avoid jumping this turn to get better TH numbers (besides, there's no need for it); depending on where the Mauler wants to end up, 'Sag' will move to 0706 or 0707.

Jew it to it! posted:

Battlemaster goes to 0613 this turn, Hatamoto-Chi to 0412 0513(I think he has the range?) nm saw the heat status.

How do you have the move to get the Battlemaster to 0613?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Three assault mechs going south to help win the game=a good plan. Two mechs going south while the other two jerk off a soon to be legged gargoyle and a loving quad with a real threat envelope of three hexes? Not a good plan.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

oh yeah, apparently the battlemaster has a jettisonable sword so see if PTN will let you throw that poo poo at someone

Any chance we can make this happen because it would be loving sick to see.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

CourValant posted:

Agreed.

I want to avoid jumping this turn to get better TH numbers (besides, there's no need for it); depending on where the Mauler wants to end up, 'Sag' will move to 0706 or 0707.

How do you have the move to get the Battlemaster to 0613?

0706 is a terrible place for the Sagi. It puts you 1 hex out of short range on the LPLs, gives you a +1 defensive mod and a +2 running mod to your shooting. Walk to 0707 or run to 0705.

If the Mauler wants to disengage fast, it should run to 0707. It will risk back shots from the Balius (2 ERLL on 6s), but any attempt to prevent those back shots means it's left in a position where the Gargoyle and Balius can force it to take 3 turns to get out of their sight. You've spent too much time up north there already to risk that.

Additionally, putting the Sag at 0705 forces the Balius to make a hard choice. Chase the Mauler which can deny rear shots next turn, giving the Sagi rear shots at good TNs or try to engage the Sagi at medium range where the Balius' heavy lasers don't work.

The Gargoyle is already a mess and a few good hits from anything away from being scrap, it's unlikely to want to engage the Sagi at short range because either LPL + 2x MPL hits or 4x MPL hits forces another piloting check and any hits on the exposed leg risk tearing it right off.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Remmon posted:

. . . or run to 0705.

I don't want to give the 'Garg' shots at me if I can help it, there's no need to take additional risks to cover the Mauler's retreat.

@Mauler: Let me know which hex you want to end in, and I'll plan accordingly.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

CourValant posted:

I don't want to give the 'Garg' shots at me if I can help it, there's no need to take additional risks to cover the Mauler's retreat.

@Mauler: Let me know which hex you want to end in, and I'll plan accordingly.

You're piloting the meanest but shortest ranged mech in the lance. You wanna be up in people's poo poo till they kill you or you kill them. You have the armor to take hits. Aggression from you will win goonlance the scenario because you are protecting more than the mauler, you are covering the entire lance. And if the gargoyle can shoot you, you can shoot him back. Don't even worry about getting kicked running to 0705, you are gonna mobility kill that gargoyle.

Sweep the loving leg CourValent. Go get kill 3 for us.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

KnoxZone posted:

And this is why you always shoot at hovers when they present a decent TH. They tend to die gloriously.

In a vacuum I would go with the second plan, but right now the northern lance is still so far away (and moving so slowly) that I feel like moving down would end with us surrounded and slowly worn down long before any support arrives. Gonna have to ponder this one further.

How is the pondering going? Also I am about 90% decided on backing up per my previous post if we are focusing the mad cat.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

gently caress it new plan,

Saggitare to 0705
Hatamoto to 0706
Mauler to 0606

Mauler shoot garg, everyone else dump on the belius. Hanse comically runs away south to get the objective.

Like if top team is going to stall fine, just get super aggressive with it and leave hanse to go get the objective. The sag is a death ball and once you clean up top just have it go straight after the stone rhino, its crazy vulnerable without the eponas and one is almost dead. If the garg/belius are neutered then you can all just turn straight for the stone rhino's guards and then sag can get close and just hop out of forward arc forever.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 25, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

How is the pondering going? Also I am about 90% decided on backing up per my previous post if we are focusing the mad cat.

Kingcom should unfuck his hexes but I'm so for this because North group is weak as gently caress and it'd make the scenario more entertaining to watch.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 25, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

kingcom posted:

gently caress it new plan,

Saggitare to 0705
Hatamoto to 0706
Mauler to 0606

Mauler shoot garg, everyone else dump on the belius. Hanse comically runs away south to get the objective.

Yeah this. At the end of the day you guys do what you feel is best. Also if you clear the north guys you unlock AC20 GUN BOATS. You could use those right?

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 25, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hey guys this is your spectator-delivered reminder that none of your primary objectives involve anyone except Isoroku surviving this game.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Strobe posted:

Hey guys this is your spectator-delivered reminder that none of your primary objectives involve anyone except Isoroku surviving this game.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Jew it to it! posted:

You do realize it takes movement to turn, right? The best you can do this turn is 0412. You have to spend one MP turning to face 0510, move forward to 0410 for two MP, turn to face 0411 for one, then you have two left to move to 0412. Every hex face you turn costs a point.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

That yeah. That.

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009
I'm all for running south to try to help the lance with long-range fire. The farthest I can run is 0707 this turn, though, if I'm doing the math right. Shall I just scamper down that way?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

I'm all for running south to try to help the lance with long-range fire. The farthest I can run is 0707 this turn, though, if I'm doing the math right. Shall I just scamper down that way?

I think you should, we have a good chance to get the Mauler away, so let's not sacrifice the 'mech for no good reason. You should be able to shoot the RA or LA ER Large Laser at the Balius?

'Sag' will cover the retreat; moving to 0706 and engaging the Balius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lol

• Locked thread