Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Random Trek film post. I've been rewatching the films (1-10), and The Final Frontier was not...as bad as I remembered? I'd certainly rank it above Insurrection and Nemesis, probably Generations too. Maybe it's just because of some personal things in my life but the vision with McCoy and his father's terminal illness was really powerful. The music for the film was also quite lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mountaineer posted:

More like Harry Mudd who pulled off the ultimate con.

Make the Federation Great Again !

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The cap's good, but I reckon silver leaves instead of gold would be better. It's how it's usually shown, anyway.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

Random Trek film post. I've been rewatching the films (1-10), and The Final Frontier was not...as bad as I remembered? I'd certainly rank it above Insurrection and Nemesis, probably Generations too. Maybe it's just because of some personal things in my life but the vision with McCoy and his father's terminal illness was really powerful. The music for the film was also quite lovely.

Final Frontier is goofy and has pacing problems (especially the endless sequence on not-Tatooine), but it's also a fun and appealing movie with a lot to love. It's just that there are a few things like mountain climbing and rocket boots that never should have made it to the final draft and that's a lot of what people remember.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

One of us.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The cap's good, but I reckon silver leaves instead of gold would be better. It's how it's usually shown, anyway.

It's from the alternate future in Tapestry.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's goofy, and definitely qualifies as the worst TOS-era movie. But the Final Frontier isn't quite as bad as it's made out to be. The themes are pretty ambitious: finding God, the path to enlightenment. The main problem is that the movie weaves a story together but doesn't connect it coherently. Whereas The Wrath of Khan's disparate themes came together into a multi-layered story, The Final Frontier is disjointed and poorly written.

You're right, though: the Bones' father scene is probably the best one in the film. Even bad movies can sometimes have a lot of hidden depth.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duckbag posted:

Final Frontier is goofy and has pacing problems (especially the endless sequence on not-Tatooine), but it's also a fun and appealing movie with a lot to love. It's just that there are a few things like mountain climbing and rocket boots that never should have made it to the final draft and that's a lot of what people remember.

The camping and bonding over marshmelons are the only good parts, actually.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that the one where Uhura does some fan dance years past her prime?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baronjutter posted:

This. Me and my friends have been looking for one of the same quality as in the episode and it's impossible, just garbage quality ones.

There's got to be somebody on a cosplay/prop making forum somewhere who can do it. The problem is you have to go dig through those forums.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would support a Kickstarter or whatever to get a NICE Niners hat.

Let's goonfund this poo poo.

It'll be like a gangtag for real life!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Offspring. They said Riker's away on leave, that's sad.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol what the gently caress

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lol what the gently caress

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data made a pink naked Pepe named lol, and I'm losing it. Especially when they say his name

Troi: "How do you do, lol"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh this is wild from the get-go

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm glad for the intro just so I can have time to get a few deep breaths

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hearing Picard say "a highly unusual project undertaken by Commander Data" made me laugh so much I had to pause it. I don't know if this is actually as hilarious as it feels or I'm just in a mood tonight

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

DOUBLE facepalm

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This thing is worse than the Pakleds.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:siren::siren:PROBLEMATIC:siren::siren:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Access sexuality databank, level 2"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What the gently caress, why is its rear end huge?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I cannot. Look. At this loving thing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay now it's a human girl with a He-Man haircut, I can deal with that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm loving these takes.
Wait till riker comes back.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol is yelping random words. This is so weird. Even by Star Trek standards.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Considering Data's apparent devotion to gender norms, I wonder if Data would have made Lal taller if it had decided to be male.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hahaha the delayed reaction to the ball thrown at her

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"As I observe Lol learning about her world, I share in her experience, almost as though I am learning things over again."

Aw, Data really is a parent :kimchi:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hahaha the delayed reaction to the ball thrown at her

That scene gave us this great gif

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wonder how close Wil Wheaton is to Wesley's age

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think he's supposed to be the same age, which is fifteen years old at the beginning of the series.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"For Lal, makeup designer Michael Westmore did a plaster cast of my entire body, done in sections. The body of the costume consisted only of latex buns and an angular bra that was glued on, plus metallic contact lenses. The rest was naked me sprayed with metallic gold paint. Then Michael did his wonderfully creative sculpturing of the face in latex. I was very honored to read that Michael Westmore considered it one of his best efforts."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Of course some Starfleet rear end in a top hat is threatening to take custody of Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aaaaaww, shucky ducky!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Of course some Starfleet rear end in a top hat is threatening to take custody of Lol

Starfleet and the Federation respects all life, no matter how strange or different.
Unless you're a filthy AI/android. Then they're going to have a scientist petition to dissect you at least once every season or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Agh