Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Does anybody have some waterslide transfers they're willing to part with for Blood Angels, particularly shoulder and vehicle "winged blood drops"?

Drop a PM.

Check ebay for dark imperium transfer sheets. Each one is enough for 18 guys, and I think I bought a few for $5. Much nicer transfers than old transfer sheets too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
That looks good. Weird that it didn't show up when I searched earlier today.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LingcodKilla posted:

That is so dumb it hurts.

Yeah that is an incredibly stupid decision.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

DiHK posted:

Does anybody have some waterslide transfers they're willing to part with for Blood Angels, particularly shoulder and vehicle "winged blood drops"?

Drop a PM.

Pretty sure I've a bunch of BA transfers spare, I'll check tonight.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Corrode posted:

Yeah that is an incredibly stupid decision.

I feel like the whole thing is just allowing the granddaddys to grandfather in their legacy models and it will be redacted in a later edition.

Zark the Damned posted:

Pretty sure I've a bunch of BA transfers spare, I'll check tonight.

Sweet!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DiHK posted:

I feel like the whole thing is just allowing the granddaddys to grandfather in their legacy models and it will be redacted in a later edition.

Really feels like if they're gonna redact it, just do it. Or were gonna repeat this cycle yet again.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

There aren't really legacy models though. Besides like las/plas Razorbacks most of those options have never had GW options, but there was e.g. a Forge World part for it. It's a very weird choice to have made.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So apparently the front part of the redemptor dread opens up for accessing the sarcofagus.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

So apparently the front part of the redemptor dread opens up for accessing the sarcofagus.

Im kinda disappointed that its a bit too integrated into other bits for me to swap it out for a venerable dread style one.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
They'll just handwave regular humans living hundreds or even thousands of years by saying "time moves differently in the warp and they warp travel a lot so uh its like football where in a 3 hour game there is 11 minutes of plays and furthermore, uh"

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

What?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Er, bad way of wording it. They'll probably explain it like that when they are in the warp time moves differently and doesnt age them, so they only age while in realspace. My example being that in a 3 hour period of a football game, there is on average only 11 minutes of actual movement on the field, the analogy being that in 1000 years of being alive most of it was in the warp where ~*plot physics*~ happened so that's why Creed and Yarrick are still alive - they only age in realspace. Anyways buy our poo poo. Each model is made of highly detailed bubble filled resin and costs $40 now because they have the primaris geneseeds shoved wayyyy up in their assholes

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Geoff Zahn posted:

Er, bad way of wording it. They'll probably explain it like that when they are in the warp time moves differently and doesnt age them, so they only age while in realspace. My example being that in a 3 hour period of a football game, there is on average only 11 minutes of actual movement on the field, the analogy being that in 1000 years of being alive most of it was in the warp where ~*plot physics*~ happened so that's why Creed and Yarrick are still alive - they only age in realspace. Anyways buy our poo poo. Each model is made of highly detailed bubble filled resin and costs $40 now because they have the primaris geneseeds shoved wayyyy up in their assholes

Yeah I hadn't actually considered the angle of "how are all these characters going to be alive" although tbf most races are either functionally immortal (Eldar, Orks, Space Marines of all flavours and alignments, AdMech) or they're gonna paper it over with bionics/technomagic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Creed's in a Necron hyperspace prison, isn't he?

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Humans, at least the nobles and inquisitors and the like, have access to rejuvenation shenanigans. The only race that doesn't have some kind of life extension technology is Tau. Them and maybe the less prestigious guardsmen are the only ones where long lived special characters should raise an eyebrow.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Hamshot posted:

Humans, at least the nobles and inquisitors and the like, have access to rejuvenation shenanigans. The only race that doesn't have some kind of life extension technology is Tau. Them and maybe the less prestigious guardsmen are the only ones where long lived special characters should raise an eyebrow.

And even so, Farsight is super old and it's heavily implied that its because he has a daemon blade and keeps adding the lifespans of everything he kills with it to his own. :black101:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Has anyone seen a Slaanesh demon/Emperor's Children 8th ed battle report video anywhere? I can't seem to find one, and I'd like to see how some of the units like noise marines and slaanesh demons fair. TIA

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
That is true ... as long as you consider the Tau and Necrons two separate races.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dexefiend posted:

That is true ... as long as you consider the Tau and Necrons two separate races.

The Tau were created by the Eldar, not the Necrons.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Has anyone seen a Slaanesh demon/Emperor's Children 8th ed battle report video anywhere? I can't seem to find one, and I'd like to see how some of the units like noise marines and slaanesh demons fare. TIA

Edit: Turns out Phil (Glacial Geek) kinda has one, but the slaanesh demons he fights against are cringey as all gently caress. Dude modeled tits on his hellbrute. :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-KauOE5I5g

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Geoff Zahn posted:

What you're almost describing here is time dilation as a result of space travel at really high speed, which is a kind of real thing that happens to astronauts (albeit on a very small scale, like they've experienced 20ms less time than everyone on earth). Has also been tested with atomic clocks on planes (forgive me if I've explained this badly). Once you're moving light-years in the warp in a couple days or whatever sci-fi thing it's pretty easy to extrapolate that out to people living for ages.

Funnily enough there's even a book series about a space soldier who keeps going away to war and coming back to his civilization having advanced several hundred years each time.

eSportseXpert fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 25, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought I had read it somewhere but i'm not sure - if you have paired weapons, do you gain an additional attack in close combat?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

I thought I had read it somewhere but i'm not sure - if you have paired weapons, do you gain an additional attack in close combat?

Only if the weapon itself says you do. There's no longer a universal rule about paired weapons.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Ya, it has to specifically call it out in either the weapon profile (like for Lightning Claws) or in the unit special rules.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's incredibly freeing to be able to take a combi weapon or something on your beatstick HQs and not lose out on an attack in CC. I've been toying with putting combi-flamers on stuff just to discourage them being charged, though I'm leaning toward storm bolters simply because they're so cheap.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pendent posted:

It's incredibly freeing to be able to take a combi weapon or something on your beatstick HQs and not lose out on an attack in CC. I've been toying with putting combi-flamers on stuff just to discourage them being charged, though I'm leaning toward storm bolters simply because they're so cheap.

Ive been doing storm bolters as default on sarges and the like, and combi-flamers on real HQs.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I like to take a power sword on my sergeants and they can't take both combi-weapon and melee weapon so I'm generally just taking a plasma pistol or something on them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I feel like I need to have the codex in hand before I make a judgment, but having to carry around my codex and my index just to field my Marine army is going to be really annoying. Referring to multiple rulebooks is one of my least favorite things in this hobby.

Pendent posted:

All my old metal characters who came with powerfists and boltguns are actually usable now, it's pretty lovely. It's kinda staggering how many Marine captain models came with powerfists before when they'd be wasting their high initiative on an unwieldy weapon.

parabolic posted:

Has something changed about GW's customer service? I've heard about how responsive and understanding they are, but when I contacted them with pictures of 2 poxwalkers from the new starter that were miscast, with pictures, it has taken from 7/13 until today to get them to agree to send replacements. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth, considering I've had miscasts from Privateer, Hawk, and Corvus Belli get replaced faster with fewer problems.

They were quick for me the other day; I emailed them about a missing White Dwarf and got an issue sent out in one or two business days.

JoshTheStampede posted:

No one has noticed that Creed and Yarrick are still alive either.

Creed's in a Pokeball and Yarrick is the 40k universe's Mr. Burns, he'll probably never die.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I like to take a power sword on my sergeants and they can't take both combi-weapon and melee weapon so I'm generally just taking a plasma pistol or something on them.
The wording's a little weird, but I think you still can. A sergeant can replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with items from the Sergeant Equipment List. Up to two items can be taken from the melee weapon/pistol list while only one can be taken from the storm bolter/combi-weapon list.

I could very well be wrong though.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

All my old metal characters who came with powerfists and boltguns are actually usable now, it's pretty lovely. It's kinda staggering how many Marine captain models came with powerfists before when they'd be wasting their high initiative on an unwieldy weapon.
Failing an alternative next april and my stores birthday can't come soon enough, want that fist captain.

I am starting to lean towards having that converted primaris chaplain be the actual in your face HQ with the current captain babysitting my guns since a crozius is rather amusingly effective against terminators at my LGS.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Artum posted:

Failing an alternative next april and my stores birthday can't come soon enough, want that fist captain.

I am starting to lean towards having that converted primaris chaplain be the actual in your face HQ with the current captain babysitting my guns since a crozius is rather amusingly effective against terminators at my LGS.

That makes sense. Especially if you have lots of plasma, where rerolling 1s becomes a godsend, or weapons that fire rapidly enough for rerolling 1s to make a sizable impact. Then when your opponent charges your ranged core, make a Heroic Intervention to put the kibosh on that. Depending on the model, Power Sword can threaten light infantry, Power Fist can threaten the big guys, or bolter weapons can help apply further ranged pressure.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I think that the new Lt will make for a good melee HQ as well. He's 60 points, give him the burning blade or something with his 2+ WS, throw him into a melee with guys who can really make use of rerolling 1s to wound like power fists and axes. He also can take a jump pack unlike the primaris Lt, and can either roll with an MC boltgun or a combi-flamer or something.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The lack of biker/jumper level mobile HQs for Primaris is kinda confusing to me. If they ARE trying to phase out small marines, which I don't think the are on any sort of short timescale, making Primaris lack long-range antitank and mobile auras is a pretty bad way to do it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

JoshTheStampede posted:

The lack of biker/jumper level mobile HQs for Primaris is kinda confusing to me. If they ARE trying to phase out small marines, which I don't think the are on any sort of short timescale, making Primaris lack long-range antitank and mobile auras is a pretty bad way to do it.

Yeah. Plus the lack of real melee units. Aggressors have powerfists but are really there for shooting. If you want some dedicated melee you're taking terminators, vanguard, centurions, or assault marines (or maybe bike veterans). And a primaris Lt either can't keep up with their jump packs/teleporting, or can't ride in their transport. And rerolling 1s to wound for heavy assault troops is really nice, rerolling 1s if you need a 2+ to wound takes you from an 83% wound rate to a 97% wound rate. If you need a 3+, it takes you from 67% to around a 77% chance of wounding.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 25, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I think that the new Lt will make for a good melee HQ as well. He's 60 points, give him the burning blade or something with his 2+ WS, throw him into a melee with guys who can really make use of rerolling 1s to wound like power fists and axes. He also can take a jump pack unlike the primaris Lt, and can either roll with an MC boltgun or a combi-flamer or something.
Lieutenants with jump packs are going to be stupidly good, and I really hope that Blood Angels get them as well. The possibilities are endless- with that move movement you can use them to buff a group of tanks that are on the move and actually keep up, you can hold it in reserves to place it on the table wherever you need to buff some damage output, be it infantry that have advanced forward or fliers making a critical attack.
They even eat up HQ slots for fairly cheap, making it easier to take more detachments for even more CP. They seem completely bonkers.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Safety Factor posted:

The wording's a little weird, but I think you still can. A sergeant can replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with items from the Sergeant Equipment List. Up to two items can be taken from the melee weapon/pistol list while only one can be taken from the storm bolter/combi-weapon list.

I could very well be wrong though.

You're right. You can replace the bolt pistol and bolt gun for items from the Sergeant Weapons List.

I am looking forward to Lts as a cheap, useful HQ which will make use of my hundreds of random characters with equipment which was way too full on for a Sergeant but probably wasn't good enough to merit paying for a Captain and taking up an HQ slot in the old system.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corrode posted:

You're right. You can replace the bolt pistol and bolt gun for items from the Sergeant Weapons List.

Yeah, the "only one item from this list" means "only one of your two items can be from this list" not "if you take from this list you only get one item period"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

Yeah. Plus the lack of real melee units. Aggressors have powerfists but are really there for shooting. If you want some dedicated melee you're taking terminators, vanguard, centurions, or assault marines (or maybe bike veterans). And a primaris Lt either can't keep up with their jump packs/teleporting, or can't ride in their transport. And rerolling 1s to wound for heavy assault troops is really nice, rerolling 1s if you need a 2+ to wound takes you from an 83% wound rate to a 97% wound rate. If you need a 3+, it takes you from 67% to around a 77% chance of wounding.

Yeah. The closest you have to dedicated melee in a Primaris army is a Reiver, and those seem geared more towards disabling and flanking enemy ranged than going full-on smashface. They seem much more focused on a single niche (tactically positioned ranged shooting) than the super-versatile flexibility most Space Marines have.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, I'm thrilled to be wrong about my reading on the Sergeant weapons choices. Battlescibe also went with my interpretation, not that this means anything in particular.

The more I think about Reivers the more excited I am to take them. The idea of a 24" assault 2 bolter and a squad that can potentially ignore vertical terrain means that they're going to be all over the table very quickly. They'll be great for taking objectives and harassing soft targets in assault. They're cheap for Primaris too- I think it was 20ppm with grapnel launchers and carbines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Had my first game of 8th - and first game of 40K in almost 20 years! - with SRM over the weekend. He was a great sport to deal with my hemming, hawing, and constant need to refresh my memory on things, but he was rewarded with a satisfying victory!

Here are some thoughts/observations:

• It was fun and left me wanting to play more!
  • I really need to learn my army (Death Guard) and the strengths/weaknesses of various wargear... not to mention remembering to use them. I don't think I fired my Blight Launchers even once.
  • I either need to learn Battlescribe (but I don't wanna) or find a more succinct way to print. 14 pages was too much for a 1500 point force.
  • So. Many. Die rolls! This isn't specific to 8th or anything (and it's improved from what I've read/heard), but I've been primarily playing Kings of War and it's a major adjustment. That said, it's kind of unavoidable when the model (vs the unit) is the lowest level element of an army.
  • Because both sides fight in each fight phase, it can become difficult remembering which units have fought and which have not when there's a lot of melee happening.