Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Is the Chase Reserve still a reasonable card? My wife spend ~$2000/month on reimbursed travel expenses, mostly hotels, and I'm planning on applying for Global Entry soon, so it seems like it would be worthwhile. Is there a better high-fee travel card right now for that kind of situation?

Amex platinum has 100k offers occasionally which might be a better signup bonus. If your wife travels to or from airports with a Centurion lounge that's also a pretty big step up from priority pass.

Citi Prestige fourth night free seems problematic to me for work reimbursement. Not only do you have to go through their travel agency which your work might not allow, but expensing a night you get free doesn't seem right to me. There's a thread on flyer talk arguing this point so ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

ADolan posted:

Does anyone have the USAA Limitless credit card? Looking into getting my first credit card ( I'd like to really only have 1 card for simplicity) and this seems to be the best general card in terms of consistent cash back. I don't know how USAA is for banking services since I would be required to open a checking account in order to get the 2.5% cash back.

No comment specifically on the Limitless though a family member has it and they seem to like it?

Regarding only one card - I'd recommend having two. It's a huge pain in the rear end if you have a card that gets compromised (e.g. Target/Home Depot breach) and you can't use it in the mix. It's also annoying if a card gets a hold put on it while you're traveling.

I always travel with two credit cards - typically a Visa and an AmEx but that's my own weird quirk. Don't read into the card servicer choice.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
So if I have the chase freedom, and my wife has the CSR, can I transfer my points to her so we can use them as UR points? Or would I need a UR card of my own?

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Initio posted:

So if I have the chase freedom, and my wife has the CSR, can I transfer my points to her so we can use them as UR points? Or would I need a UR card of my own?

You can transfer, the Freedom is a UR card that just calls itself a cash back card.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

ADolan posted:

Does anyone have the USAA Limitless credit card? Looking into getting my first credit card ( I'd like to really only have 1 card for simplicity) and this seems to be the best general card in terms of consistent cash back. I don't know how USAA is for banking services since I would be required to open a checking account in order to get the 2.5% cash back.

I have the limitless card and use USAA checking as my primary checking account. I'm happy with it and it does just what it says on the tin. Can get rewards redeemed in $1 increments by either depositing them to your checking or as a statement credit.

My experience with USAA as a bank has been positive. I am happy with them other then the low ^ interest on savings (which is why I use Ally for that instead).

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been doing all right for years with just a debit card, but this year I've come to learn that some things, like renting a car, are way less of a pain in the rear end if you have an actual credit card, and am this looking to get my first one.

Likely usage will be put my gas on it and pay it off every month (less than $100/month typically), and emergencies. Not wanting to get gouged on interest rates, Mint says my credit score is 713. Where should I start looking?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

taiyoko posted:

I've been doing all right for years with just a debit card, but this year I've come to learn that some things, like renting a car, are way less of a pain in the rear end if you have an actual credit card, and am this looking to get my first one.

Likely usage will be put my gas on it and pay it off every month (less than $100/month typically), and emergencies. Not wanting to get gouged on interest rates, Mint says my credit score is 713. Where should I start looking?

If you are going to pay it off every month, then interest rates don't matter.

If you don't plan on using it much, then just get one with a decent sign-on bonus with low spend requirements.

Chase Freedom Unlimited or Bank of America Cash Rewards will probably be good bets.

Discover IT (with the $100 bonus from a referral link) is also a good option and generally very easy to get.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you are going to pay it off every month, then interest rates don't matter.

If you don't plan on using it much, then just get one with a decent sign-on bonus with low spend requirements.

Chase Freedom Unlimited or Bank of America Cash Rewards will probably be good bets.

Discover IT (with the $100 bonus from a referral link) is also a good option and generally very easy to get.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I don't plan on using it a lot, but if I get into a "something is wrong with my car and it needs a professional" or "surprise long distance job interview, I need plane tickets and such asap" situation, I might have to carry a balance for a while, thus not wanting a godawful interest rate.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

taiyoko posted:

Thanks, I'll look into those. I don't plan on using it a lot, but if I get into a "something is wrong with my car and it needs a professional" or "surprise long distance job interview, I need plane tickets and such asap" situation, I might have to carry a balance for a while, thus not wanting a godawful interest rate.

If you do any banking with a credit union, check if they have a credit card. They often have much better rates relative to major cards. For example, my wife has one with a 12% APR (versus ~20%+).

That said, don't carry a balance. I'm just trying to give you a less damaging option if it comes to that.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

United is devaluing their MileagePlus program, so those of you who were converting Chase UR points to United miles may find it better to use those points on Chase's own travel portal.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

TransatlanticFoe posted:

You can transfer, the Freedom is a UR card that just calls itself a cash back card.

My wife made me get a freedom to steal my points to her Sapphire. She claims 6% after transfer reward value.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Question - I have the Amazon Chase Rewards card which has generated a ton of great cash back for us but Prime Day is coming up and it looks like Amazon Store Card (the actual Amazon card, not the Chase card) is going to get a fully sick 25% cash back on all Prime day promotions. Does anyone have this card and can recommend?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks like it's on "thousands" of Prime Day items, not all of them. And it's 15% on top of the regular 5% for a total of 20%, not a total of 25%.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I have the Amazon Store Card. It's fine, it earns 5% back on Amazon if you're a Prime member but can't be used anywhere else.

Rewards are automatically redeemed as a statement credit every month which I like. I'm probably wouldn't bother opening it if you already had the Chase Amazon card since that is already earning 5%. The Prime day promotion sounds like it could be cool but the actual Prime day sales have been so lackluster in the past I wouldn't open a new account just for that.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The cool thing about the Amazon Store Card is that you don't only get the 5% cash back, you can also choose instead to get a 6-12 month 0% APR (depending on price).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Animal posted:

The cool thing about the Amazon Store Card is that you don't only get the 5% cash back, you can also choose instead to get a 6-12 month 0% APR (depending on price).

Yeah, I finance nothing though. Good point on the sales, sad it's not everything on Prime day. That would be too good to be true.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I finally decided to apply for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa or whatever, and the auto decision kicked me out and said it required further processing, lol. My credit is excellent, I'm curious where that goes.

Anyway assuming I get approved, does the Chase backed card have customer service as poor as the reviews make it sound? Currently my regular cards are with CapitalOne and Amex, and while not perfect, I haven't ever spoken to second language English representatives through a watery sounding phone connection.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 4, 2017

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

angryrobots posted:

I finally decided to apply for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa or whatever, and the auto decision kicked me out and said it required further processing, lol. My credit is excellent, I'm curious where that goes.

Anyway assuming I get approved, does the Chase backed card have customer service as poor as the reviews make it sound? Currently my regular cards are with CapitalOne and Amex, and while not perfect, I haven't ever spoken to second language English representatives through a watery sounding phone connection.

Weird. Have you been churning Chase? I haven't hit the 5/24 issue but maybe it's that?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Nope, not even close to 5/24. The only change in my credit was moving from a Clear Amex to the Cash Preferred (which ever is without the annual fee) about 3 months ago. They put a $15k limit on that new card which is just silly - could that be it?

I would think my utilization is very good, I've got a $45k HELOC and $1.5k overdraft that are both at zero, and my three cards get paid off monthly (one is a Lowe's card that gets used rarely for 5% off my projects).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

angryrobots posted:

Nope, not even close to 5/24. The only change in my credit was moving from a Clear Amex to the Cash Preferred (which ever is without the annual fee) about 3 months ago. They put a $15k limit on that new card which is just silly - could that be it?

I would think my utilization is very good, I've got a $45k HELOC and $1.5k overdraft that are both at zero, and my three cards get paid off monthly (one is a Lowe's card that gets used rarely for 5% off my projects).

And you have a Prime account ya? I know that's an obvious question but just checking. Although I can't imagine why they'd let you apply in the first place without one for the Prime-specific card.

Other than that - I dunno. That other card shouldn't affect it. I got both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and an AmEx Platinum the span of a couple months and those are considerably more rigorous cards to qualify for.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh ya, and I applied from within the Amazon app, and it pre filled most of the form so surely it should show me as a Prime member. I dunno. I'll let y'all know what happens, maybe something about it flagged (I have 6 current items on my report, not counting a car loan that was paid off two months ago, or the recently cancelled amex account) and requires a person to sign off on it? If it gets completely declined I'll pull my report to make sure there's nothing off, and call customer service.

Beyond that, any comments on Chase customer service when you had an issue? I had a bad experience* with CapOne about a year ago and told them I would leave at my earliest convenience, so I'm looking for a visa/MC to replace it for everyday use.

*They had an internal issue where my account was marked as having a chip card, before they actually sent me one. I found this out the hard way when my card was declined for swipe, checking in to a hotel while traveling. Called CS and the rep did not believe me and insisted they had sent me a new card. It took a solid month before they got it straight, and it was a major annoyance.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chase sometimes takes a second. You should get a message when you call the recon line within a couple days.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

angryrobots posted:

Beyond that, any comments on Chase customer service when you had an issue? I had a bad experience* with CapOne about a year ago and told them I would leave at my earliest convenience, so I'm looking for a visa/MC to replace it for everyday use.

Chase's customer service has been excellent in my experience. I have the Disney branded card though so I can't speak to all their products but 2 rings and I'm talking to a US agent. Discover and AMEX are also excellent.

Haven't used CapOne's customer service in a while, but I recall activating the card required talking to someone overseas while they tried to hard sell credit life coverage and it was a big turnoff. I have/had a bunch of credit cards and only CapOne has made me talk to someone to activate.

My 2 primary cards are Citi now, but I've never had to contact them about anything.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

angryrobots posted:

I've had good experiences with them. My bar is still AmEx but Chase is quite solid.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I'm about to process my first claim on the CSP trip delay benefit. Here's hoping! :pray:

I'll report back in after I succeed or fail. Hoping for the former since my only choices for a last minute hotel on 4th of July weekend in Chicago were a $350 room downtown and a $100 Hampton Inn out in the burbs and of course I chose downtown.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm about to process my first claim on the CSP trip delay benefit. Here's hoping! :pray:

I'll report back in after I succeed or fail. Hoping for the former since my only choices for a last minute hotel on 4th of July weekend in Chicago were a $350 room downtown and a $100 Hampton Inn out in the burbs and of course I chose downtown.

Super curious to know how this goes!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Amazon prime card in question was approved today, who knows. Looking forward to giving CapOne the boot.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Is it still possible to pay a mortgage by loading funds onto an Amex Bluebird account through a PIN Visa/Mastercard debit gift card?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I have a FNB Omaha credit card with a $19 annual fee that I would like to cancel if they won't waive the fee (they won't based on last time I asked). I called up the number and I would have been able to cancel without talking to someone, BUT, do I still have to pay the fee? It is on my statement and is due on the 22nd. Otherwise I'll just pay it and cancel next May. The $19 is the only thing on the card, I never use it since I have better credit and rewards cards now.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Michael Corleone posted:

I have a FNB Omaha credit card with a $19 annual fee that I would like to cancel if they won't waive the fee (they won't based on last time I asked). I called up the number and I would have been able to cancel without talking to someone, BUT, do I still have to pay the fee? It is on my statement and is due on the 22nd. Otherwise I'll just pay it and cancel next May. The $19 is the only thing on the card, I never use it since I have better credit and rewards cards now.

You need to read the T&C as policies vary by bank with the general rule being a refund if cancelled within about a month.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Michael Corleone posted:

Talk to someone there and find out what your options are before making an assumption - with some banks, retention offers can change as often as daily, and they frequently change from before/after the annual fee actually posts to your account.

It's also worth seeing if they'd let you product change it to a card with no annual fee. If you've had the card for a while, it could help the average age of accounts part of your credit score to do this.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Thanks you two. I just called and found a way to talk to a person. I told them what I posted and I didn't have to pay the annual fee so I cancelled, but I am glad I called because I still have to pay it THIS month, they will give me a statement credit next month, then I can call and they will mail me a check for $19. Glad I thought to ask that or I would have took a pretty big ding with a missed payment.

e; they couldn't waive the fee because it is in the Cardholder Agreement

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
There's a 40% transfer bonus for Amex MR to Avios right now, if you're in to that sort of thing.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Just got my Amazon Prime Rewards card. Metal cards are cool. 👍

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Same, card is pretty cool. The Chase website kind of blows, though.

Also I have an irrational dislike of sites that require special characters in my username/password.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

angryrobots posted:

Same, card is pretty cool. The Chase website kind of blows, though.

Also I have an irrational dislike of sites that require special characters in my username/password.

It used to be significantly worse, and still substantially better on all counts than Synchrony Bank websites.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Get ready for every single person to comment on it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thufir posted:

There's a 40% transfer bonus for Amex MR to Avios right now, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Ooooo, are avios still a good way of traveling on AA domestically?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Chase cancelled my Prime card for dis-use just after they announced the 5% Amazon match :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kazr posted:

Get ready for every single person to comment on it

I've had my metal Amazon card for a couple months and literally nobody has said anything about it.